183 posts
sven korolev DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @sven
sven korolev
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 1:27:59 GMT
sven korolev Avatar
It seemed quaint to finally visit the Mauville Gym. But given the gym leader's insistence that he stop by to check it out sometime, Sven felt he needed to, at the very least, give it a shot. As he stepped into the office, the blonde curiously looked around. It seemed kinda... Well, small for a gym. When the security personnel, Archie, directed him towards a set of doors, Sven gave an audible 'ohhhh.' At least now he knew where he was headed. Once he made his way out, he took in the expanse of land that was dedicated to the various forms of battle that the gym leader supervised. He couldn't help but let out a low whistle.

Though the moment that something (and in turn someone) raced past him, Sven stumbled back quickly as not to get run over. A dust cloud stung his eyes for a moment as he coughed and sputtered until the air cleared. Sven dusted himself off, but he didn't even seem upset -- he knew he should've been more aware. Once he caught sight of Josh upon his chosen mount, Sven felt himself grin widely.

"Yo, speed racer!" he joked. "You weren't wrong, this place is pretty impressive. Your staff did a great job getting everything sorted out. I like the various fields you've got going. Are they for battle or?"

It was a possibility, but it seemed Josh had a different idea in mind with the setup. The man offered a tour though, so he figured he'd hold fast on the questions for the end in case some of them were answered in Josh's explanation.

mission: zero to one hundred

⚰︎ divider made by milky!
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 8:23:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had blocked off a time to give a prospective challenger a tour of the Gym. It was a name he had known from spending time at Mauville's Round One: . Though he was a more casual rhythm game player than the Gym Leader was, being able to bond through a common interest was the start of friendship. It was a friendship that led to Josh giving Sven a fast-tracked, mounted tour of Mauville Racing Grounds. The visitor would find his friend seated on Resheph, his Dragonair.

"That's the Master of Faster, not Speed Racer!" the trainer joked back, flipping his helmet's visor up to expose his face. Alphamax, Josh's Garchomp, was next to both of them, with Tiamat the Dragonite nearby. "Most of them are actually for racing Pokémon. Because of how much room that necessitates, as most of the courses are miles in length, places where battles happen had to be strategically located. Most of the battle courts are actually in the Main Sector, straight ahead."

Josh gestured toward the Garchomp before him, who crouched to let Sven aboard. "Make sure you cocoon up and gear up. Don't forget your helmet, either. It's to prevent you from going deaf."

NOTE: This thread takes place in mid-February.

{WC: 202}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Resheph         Dragonair          Good
Alphamax        Garchomp           Good
close tab

played by

howitzer

lev, svenergy
he/him
april 20
phenac city, orre
oblivious
dj / researcher
rising star
this feeling is heavy, makes my body ache and i'm ready to fall into the sky
awards
183 posts
sven korolev DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @sven
sven korolev
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 16, 2023 17:01:48 GMT
sven korolev Avatar
Josh's statement was met with a lopsided grin. Fair enough, he definitely did pride himself at the speeds he and his pokemon were able to achieve. He called himself the master of faster but Sven had some faith that one day, he'd be the fastest. As the man explained the layout to his gym, the blonde gave a nod as to signal he understood. Part of him wondered which challenges were more popular, but he had a feeling races took that spot by miles. It was a unique experience to begin with, so why not try it firsthand? If Sven ever had the chance, he might partake Josh on a gym challenge someday in the future. But he needed larger pokemon than his first-stage evolutions that were predominant in his team.

He had no objections to suiting up, as it seemed the pair would take to the skies. While the helmet was more than easy to attach, getting cocooned up was a bit more difficult, as it was really his first time riding. Thankfully it seemed the staff was happy to help him, likely used to first-time riders. Once Sven was geared up and secure, he reached up and flashed Josh a thumbs up. He was relieved to see they'd go upward, as he loved the idea of an aerial view of the entire stadium.

It seemed Alphamax was pretty tame, as though fine with the idea of strangers riding. For extra measure, Sven wrapped his arms around the dragon's shoulders and took to the skies. Unfortunately it seemed the lift off took him by surprise at the sheer velocity the dragon held. Was he terrified? Absolutely not. The look of pure gusto on his face showed he was excited to see just what Alphamax could do.

"Ready when you are, cap'n!" he beamed with a salute.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 17, 2023 12:48:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Had Josh known it was Sven's first time riding, he wouldn't have given the young man an aerial tour of the Gym, and certainly not one involving his Garchomp. They were one of the more dangerous flying mounts due to full manual control requiring good airmanship. Thankfully for him, the dragon was also quite smart. Once Josh was also cocooned up on his Dragonair, the two Pokémon prepared for takeoff. "Now you'll probably want to brace yourself. Garchomp fly much like living jet planes. He needs room to get in the air, but it's pretty smooth flying once he get enough lift to fly." Resheph, on the other hand, was as smooth as flying could get from takeoff to landing. There was a reason that Dragonair was his favorite way to fly.

The sound of the bio-thrusters throttling up at the sides of Alphamax's head drowned out all other noise around Sven. Without the equipment he was borrowing, it could have caused severe damage to his ear. After a short time, the land shark began running along the concourse. Spreading his wing-fins, he shot forward faster and faster, the Dragonair and Gym Leader keeping perfect pace with him. Those not rather familiar with the species may have had no idea Garchomp could run so fast.

Alphamax tilted his fins upward, and the Pokémon and riders quickly gained altitude. The thrill of flying may have been overwhelming to novices, but once used to it, there truly was nothing like it. It did not take long before large swaths of the sprawling facility were visible. After getting a few hundred feet into the air, the dragon throttled back, the hum of his thrusters now mere background noise in his helmet. "You okay? Garchomp can be tough on you to get you in the air."

As long as Sven was still comfortable in the air, Josh would begin with the history of his Gym. "So the reason I went with a racing facility initially is what it was converted from. The previous Gym Leader, , had made Mauville Gym into a military base. I had a lot of land to work with, and a big variety of terrain types to work with, too. That is how the Gym's seven Sectors came to be."

The two dragons made a gentle left turn to wheel around the battle facility in the center of the property. "Beneath us now is the Main Sector. This is where all the battle courts are. They're in the middle of the Sonic Oval, an oval-shaped course intended for beginners. I don't do any Racing Challenges on it, but it's usually open for practice. It's also where we teach new hires everything they need to know about how to handle the Racing Challenge."

{WC: 464}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

howitzer

lev, svenergy
he/him
april 20
phenac city, orre
oblivious
dj / researcher
rising star
awards
183 posts
sven korolev DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @sven
sven korolev
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 18, 2023 16:46:40 GMT
sven korolev Avatar
Once the Garchomp took to the skies, Sven couldn't help the scream that tore its way out of his throat. This wasn't fear, this wasn't danger, this was pure and utter gusto. So this is what it meant to go fast. He couldn't wipe clean the dumbfounded look upon his face, yet it beamed with the excitement of a child on Christmas morning. The headgear helped tremendously, but he still felt the ringing of the sound of Alphamax's thrusters in his ears. It took him a moment to recover, but as Josh spoke, listening to the gym leader became almost second nature over the sound of the dragon in flight.

"Never would'a thought this place used to be a military base! Seems like an interesting take on Mauville, but does it represent the culture of the people? I think racing is a bit more on the nose. This place is a powerhouse and should be treated as such. There's something empowering about the freedom of the wind in your face as you take off. I can respect the idea you've got going with your gym."

The idea of Mauville felt like liberation. There was a freedom to it that Sven couldn't bring himself to find the words to describe. It was his home now, but this one was more secure. There was a safety net to it. That even if he fell, something would be there to catch him. This place was permanent to him. For a moment, his heart swelled with a sense of comfort. This was home. This was home.

From the skies, he watched some of the gym trainers do mock battles so they could properly prepare themselves for any oncoming challengers. The gym as a whole felt like a great place to start any sort of challenge. Perhaps in the future, he'd bring himself to go up against Josh's team of agile pokemon. But he knew that he had plenty of training to take part in. His team wasn't exactly ready to go up against the gym challenge, ergo he needed to turn his attention inward.

"So tell me, what brought you to take the position in Mauville? What made you want to be here and not somewhere else? Hoenn in itself is expansive. Surely this wasn't the only spot you decided on, right?"

Sure, he loved the history lesson that Josh provided, but surely there was bits of himself he could throw in? The ride together gave them the opportunity to get to know one another a little better, so why not use it?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 19, 2023 8:49:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Sven's scream was normal for someone riding on a Garchomp for the first time, let alone one race-trained like Alphamax was. Unlike many bird and dragon Pokémon, Garchomp had to maintain a minimum speed to generate the lift needed to stay airborne. "I agree with you; sports in general seemed more like Mauville. It's not the largest city in Hoenn, but it's the most population-dense. The geography of this part of Hoenn mandates that we build up and not out." The topic quickly shifted to the joy of being astride a Pokémon moving at high speed. "That's part of what inspired me to remodel the Gym the way I did."

Mauville wasn't exactly the safest place in Hoenn, what with its elderly and wealthy residents being the target of unscrupulous folk, but it was Josh's home, too. He caught sight of ACE SHEEKE and ARAVAN ESCHER having a brawl with two of Josh's many Pyroar. While his Gym was known for electric-type ride Pokémon, it was increasingly becoming known for the Leader's collection of ride-trained Pyroar, as well. He had enough of them to seat an entire family for a safari, if they so desired.

"Simple. I was promoted up from the Minor League," Josh answered. "There's a Minor League program run by Commissioner that is a scouting program for prospective Gym Leaders. Applicants who pass the screening program get to open a Minor League Gym, which lets potential Gym Leaders get their feet wet with what the job of a Gym Leader is like without all the political baggage that comes with being a fully-fledged one. Most of the Minor League Gyms are located at Trainer Hill on 111. I picked Mauville solely because of its proximity to my old Gym. If you don't mind going a bit faster, we can cruise by there after I take you through my current Gym's main loop!"

{WC: 319}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

howitzer

lev, svenergy
he/him
april 20
phenac city, orre
oblivious
dj / researcher
rising star
awards
183 posts
sven korolev DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @sven
sven korolev
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 20, 2023 1:13:56 GMT
sven korolev Avatar
A minor league, huh? Easy to say he hadn't quite heard of the prospect, but it sounded promising in itself, in a way to see who was up to snuff to actually make change in the league itself. They needed to be able to find people who would be worthwhile to help guide new and veteran trainers alike into being something worthwhile. Not that they had to swear allegiance to the commissioner and her council, but rather trainers who were a symbol for good. Trainers who wished nothing more than to protect what they called home. Sometimes Sven pondered just exactly what home was to him. Maybe one day he'd find out. As he rested his chin against the top of Alphamax's head, he contemplated a bit. Though at the offer to swing by Josh's old gym, Sven seemed miles away when he answered.

"Oh yeah, sure."

It lacked the typical spark that his words were often laced with. Instead, he seemed to stare over the field of trainers below and let out a breath. They seemed to know what they wanted to do with themselves. How they wanted to guide their pokemon. More importantly, they had something they wanted to fight for. Whether it be this gym, Hoenn as a whole, or even simply for their own right to exist, they had a reason. As Sven finally lifted his head, he turned to look over at Josh and spoke in a way that showed his own sense of resolve.

"Hey Josh? I think I might be interested in the gym challenge. And I think one day, when I get my team trained up enough to take it on, I want to make Mauville my first hurdle. I want to discover what my purpose is in staying in Hoenn, and I feel like the best place to start would be here."

While it was fast paced, the non-traditional challenge was likely one of the most straightforward. The gym itself screamed the use of instinct, and maybe that bled through in the way Sven had blurted out his interest.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON May 21, 2023 6:01:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While Sven couldn't see it, he may have been able to hear the smile on Josh's face through his chipper response. "It's a popular one! I still remember when I first opened the Gym up in September, the wait time to get an appointment was over a month." As busy as it kept him, those were good times. They were times when Josh couldn't secure the funding to have a couple dozen employees at the place. With his prowess as a Leader, though, he had since been able to secure a stipend large enough to maintain the ambitious facility that attracted challengers from across the globe, even those not interested in Hoenn's Gym Challenge. "I look forward to your challenge. You seem to have a knack for it, too; the way you control Alphamax, you have good fundamentals. You have a lot of riding experience, don't you?"

The two dragons passed behind the Main Sector's scoreboard. "We just passed over Sector 1, and most likely where you would be racing if you want to do Mauville's Gym first. Believe it or not, we have two dozen courses here. We want to accommodate riders of all skill levels here. If you want a more challenging course for your Gym Challenge, you will want to wait to challenge Mauville Gym until you have more Badges. The more Badges you already have, the harder the course you will be assigned." He pointed toward TWIST ROAD, a simple course built around a river, with only one turn greater than 90 degrees. "This is Twist Road, a course that is in the pool for challengers with no Badges."

Beyond the relatively easy course was a myriad of channels that were offshoots of a river that ran through the property. A bridge ran over the river's east side as part of the Gym's main concourse. "Ahead of us is Sector 2. If you bring a water Pokémon for the racing challenge, you'll likely be assigned here." He pointed to a roughly banana-shaped water course full of rough surf, artificial islets to dodge, and even a jump ramp at the end for those brave enough to attempt to cut a corner. "This is Switchback, a mid-level aquatic course. If you bring a water Pokémon to the challenge, there's a good chance you'll end up there."

{WC: 390}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

howitzer

lev, svenergy
he/him
april 20
phenac city, orre
oblivious
dj / researcher
rising star
awards
183 posts
sven korolev DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @sven
sven korolev
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 21:00:09 GMT
sven korolev Avatar
It's not like he could outright lie and tell Josh that he had any sort of experience. All the blonde could do was shake his head no. It had actually been the first time he'd even managed to board a pokemon let alone ride it with such ease. A grin played upon his countenance as he blurted out the answer that came to mind.

"Nope! But really, it's just all a matter of instinct. You gotta trust the mount and the mount's gotta trust you, I guess."

But as Josh began to point out the varied sectors of his gym, Sven seemed intrigued. It seemed if he wanted a challenge with the gym, he'd have to acquire badges to some degree. But at the same time, he felt that starting off in Mauville was the perfect spot. He had some time to consider on what to do, given he hadn't quite buffed out his team, but he'd work on it. He mindlessly gave Alphamax a pat on the head as thanks for being so willing to follow him in the flight.

Josh had spent plenty of time talking about his gym, but there was one question that posed in Sven's mind heavily. It probably should have been the question he asked first, but it honestly slipped his mind. Once he had a moment of silence as not to interrupt Josh's explanation of the varied paths his gym's race tracks had to offer, the blonde finally spoke up and beared his question forthright.

"Y'know, I never bothered to ask. What made you want to become a gym leader anyway? I know the league has done some questionable things in the past, but people say it's all for the best. What made you trust them enough to become one of their figureheads in the gym challenges, I guess I want to ask?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 5:34:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Sven's instinct was true. The most important part of riding a Pokémon was mount and rider being of one mind. While the dragon didn't physically react to the pat on the head, it was possible that the researcher picked up on the Garchomp's appreciation for the affection. While brutal in battle, the dragon-type had a heart outside combat.

"Hooboy, is that ever a long story," Josh sighed as the mountainous Sector 3 came into view. Several rocky courses came into view, many full of jumps for Pokémon to traverse. The most notable course was the DRAGON SLOPE. Memories of his race with came to mind, sonic explosions erupting from his swift Dragonair during boost laps. There were few places in Hoenn where a Pokémon could go faster.

"I don't think I'll be able to finish my story in a single lap around the Racing Grounds, but I'll try. It all started back in July of last year, when I was doing odd jobs for the force and for the Rangers to get by. I had taken a ticket to defend a shrine near Fortree, built in honor of Raikou. I shouldn't have to say it, given what my Gym's first floor looks like, but I've admired Raikou since I was a child. Councilwoman fought alongside me and helped push me in that direction by referring me to Top Champion . I eventually found out that Kyle had forged a bond with the Beast of Fire, Entei. And where Entei is, Raikou and Suicune are not far. I felt the best way to meet him would be to apply for his Minor League program. I got a Gym in the Minor League in August, and was promoted to the Major League within a month."

{WC: 298}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

howitzer

lev, svenergy
he/him
april 20
phenac city, orre
oblivious
dj / researcher
rising star
awards
183 posts
sven korolev DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @sven
sven korolev
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 18:41:24 GMT
sven korolev Avatar
As Josh shared what lead him to the present, Sven could only listen intently. He could certainly ascertain that Josh had quite the admiration for Raikou, perhaps an admiration that bordered on obsession. Sven bit his bottom lip as he pondered on just what to say to fill the silence. There was nothing that came. If anything, the fact he'd heard rumors of Raikou's passing at the hands of Rocket flooded his mind. No, he couldn't quite bring that up. It would be a slap in the face to the hospitality that Josh had so kindly showed him through his sharing of not only his gym, but what laid within his own heart -- his dedication to Hoenn as a whole.

Rocket laced a proverbial poisoned chalice in the wake of killing a legendary beast, Sven could only hope that Josh wasn't blinded by the delusion of grandeur enough to take a sip.

"I can hear the respect you hold for the both of them. I'd love to get the opportunity to meet them some time just to see if they live up to the hype."

His words weren't meant in a harsh way in the slightest. In a sense, he simply wished to display that he didn't want to dump any sort of high expectation on the two. They were merely people themselves, it would be disrespectful to set expectations upon them before meeting either party. Their talk had been surprisingly motivating and offered more than enough insight. It made him ponder even further on just what the other figureheads of the League had here that made them want to protect Hoenn so vehemently. Was that inspiration what people found to be their sense of permanence?

"You've really helped put a lot of this place into perspective for me, thanks," he offered with a sense of gratitude. "I think I'm ready to land whenever you are."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
< archives > [m] [past]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2023 6:45:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Little did Sven know that Josh already knew of Raikou's death in the war. Visiting the Burned Tower in Ecruteak last December was an enormous gut punch that drove his resentment of Team Rocket to dangerous levels. It had caused him to nearly murder a child. Even if that child was a terrorist, that was positively despicable behavior that, even after his restitution, was a sin he would be branded with for the rest of his life. "My meeting with Elinor was by complete chance. That's how the best opportunities often start: not by making your own, but through a chance encounter."

Josh nodded at Sven's desire to land. "Alright, we can turn around, then. We're at the opposite side of the property, so it will take us a bit to get back. While we're waiting, I can share the rest of the story." After the two made the turn, Alphamax briefly tilted at perhaps an uncomfortably high bank angle for Sven, the Gym Leader continued. "Mauville Gym has a history of producing some of the region's greatest heroes. The last two Gym Leaders, and , are some of the League's most valuable assets. Katherine is a standing member of the Elite Four now, and both of them have even been blessed by the gods. They're both Avatars."

Little did he know that , the Gym Leader before that, also followed that trend. Would lightning strike at Mauville Gym again? Perhaps literally? He hoped so more than anything else. Little did he know that he would wind up paying an almost unbearable price for his obsession with the fastest Pokémon on land. "There's even more to this story, but I won't have time to share it. Next we meet, I'll tell you the rest of the story. Now hold on tight, as Garchomp can be a rough ride during the touchdown." Descending like a landing airplane, the finned landshark rotated his body into a position where he could land on his feet. The transition from air to land left the dragon-type running at an incredible pace that may have been rather jarring to Sven. While likely a rougher landing than expected, the two touched down in front of the Gym's back entrance safely.

"Again, you're a natural rider," Josh reiterated. "I don't think you'd have a problem winning the Badge here." Once the guest had stepped off the dragon's back, he would recall both his Pokémon, landing on his feet. "It's been great, but I've gotta go in and look at some audits. I look forward to your challenge."

{WC: 432}
{PC: 6}