They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
Lost Woods [Mission/Gracidea]
POSTED ON May 21, 2023 11:56:08 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
Day by day, the gracideas that El had planted around Sima's grave grew more and more. Already, they could see where the flowers were beginning to develop buds - it felt like any day, they'd begin to properly bloom. Surely, would appreciate getting to see the flowers in full bloom as well.

But, for all the enthusiasm that El held for their hard work in maintaining the gravesite... Something wasn't right.

It had started relatively recently; but the ranger, and Bibidi, had noticed that something had the local wild pokemon unsettled. As if some great predator was in the area, unseen and unheard, yet nonetheless present. Even if El didn't have the tongue to ask them what was wrong, they had taken to tracking the movements of some of the pokemon to figure out the source of this sudden fear.

Which, all signs pointed to a particular portion of the woods - though the specifics of where had only raised more questions. Because, last El knew, there couldn't have been anything dangerous about a florist shop that'd scare the local pokemon, right? Not unless something had gone terribly wrong near there, right?

Oh, if only El knew the full of it.

But regardless, it'd be on Heidrun's back that they moved through the woods - the gogoat's gallop quick and steady, with Bibidi following close behind. Even though nothing appeared amiss at a glance, they knew they were on the right path for just how quiet - for how empty - everything was. There were no pokemon here - be it the smallest weedle, or the largest venusaur - no matter how far Bibidi cast her psychic awareness, to try and check.

A gust of wind blew through the air - and with it came unseasonable dried leaves, and the smell of decay. These brought tension to El's grip on Heidrun's horns - and in turn, the gogoat grew unsettled, as her pace dropped to a cautious canter. But even with the drop in speed, it didn't take long for the group to find the source of these unusual signs...

... Namely, a portion of the woods that appeared as if it had died off completely.

Bare trees, husks and spectres of their prior grandeur. Dead grass, yellow-gray and crunching underneath Heidrun's hooves. Scraggly bushes, with branches reaching out as if hoping to grasp at something - despite their brittleness. There was no birdsong. No stridulating insects. Only a hollow wind, that brought a rasping rustle - scattering the broken remains of small plants and leaves alike.

El sucked in an unsettled breath, as they carefully unhooked their cane from Heidrun's saddle, and slid down from her back. "What happened here...?" They wondered out loud - glancing about slowly. A sense of melancholy - and worry - filled their heart, in seeing something so devastating happen to an otherwise peaceful place. This couldn't have been the work of any local pokemon - that's all they knew, in that moment. But that still raised the question:

Who - or what - had done this...?
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON May 22, 2023 6:29:38 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","minimal elisa"]
[attr="class","top"]

"My, don't you seem distressed."[break][break]

The dark-haired woman seemed to step out of the shadows of the forest as if she naturally belonged in them. Though nothing in her posture suggested menace, there was an unmistakable sense of tension that gathered around her as she stepped forward; it seemed, oddly, as if the world darkened beneath her every footstep.[break][break]

Her voice remained level, however. Calm. Faintly amused, if anything.[break][break]

"Are you a Ranger, then? So very many have been exploring the forest these days. They're so terribly concerned about..." A hand waved vaguely at the surroundings. "...well. This."

[attr="class","ooc"] [break][break]

(REPEAT MISSION)
[break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[newclass=".elisa"] --accent:#D14C4C!important; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#D14C4C; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"]margin:1px 15px 12px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .pkmn"] text-align:center;[/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .pkmn img"] background:none; border-radius: 0px; box-shadow:none; border:0px; float:none; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON May 22, 2023 7:58:16 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
A woman stepped out from the dead woods beyond - and as she did, an air of uncertainty and danger seemed to fill the air in her wake. Heidrun fidgeted and shuffled behind El, and Bibidi stepped forward as if intending to protect them...

... But even as the rookie ranger themself sucked in a sharp breath at the chill that ran down their spine... They'd attempt to maintain some form of composure, attempt to meet Elisabeth's gaze as evenly as possible. "I'm... I'm still a rookie - but yes, I'm a Ranger." They confirmed, nodding. "I... think a lot of people would be concerned, to see a part of Petalburg Woods die so suddenly."

This wasn't something that happened everyday, after all - even if some of the different events that fell upon Hoenn felt like they did.

But in any case, it was with but a moment's hesitation that El allowed their gaze to drift away from Elisabeth - to the surroundings that she had indicated. "Do you, uhm, know what happened here? What caused the plants to die so suddenly like this?" They wanted to make sure that none of the death and decay here spread any further, if they could at all help it - which, the first step to that would be identifying the source.
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON May 22, 2023 16:50:26 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"In a sense."[break][break]

She stretched then, as if having enjoyed a leisurely stroll for a long while and only now thought to rest her limbs. A slow, cat-like smile crept across her lips.[break][break]

"Mother Nature has always been a vengeful creature. It wouldn't be the first time a drought or flood ruined something she supposedly loved."[break][break]

Her gaze swept over them, thoughtful.[break][break]

"Perhaps someone has wronged the earth, hm? And so the earth is depriving us of its gifts in retaliation."

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=".minimal"]--accent:#D14C4C; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote img"]margin:1px 15px 12px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal blockquote b, .minimal blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .minimal blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .minimal blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .pkmn img"] background:none; border-radius: 0px; box-shadow:none; border:0px; float:none; [/newclass]

[newclass=".minimal .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .minimal .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .minimal .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON May 24, 2023 15:51:41 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
This woman's cryptic - yet casual, almost too casual - nature didn't help much in providing a straight answer. El took a second to consider her words - although, it was clear to see that they weren't wholly convinced by this being a natural occurrence, like the mention of 'Mother Nature' may imply.

"If... this was a natural cause," As opposed to the result of a pokemon or human action, "I don't think so many plants would've just... Died all at one." El spoke - their voice soft and careful, yet knowing. It would've been a more gradual thing, wouldn't it? "I don't think the local pokemon would be so spooked, either..." Sure, maybe pokemon who relied on fresh plants like Deerling or Sawsbuck would've moved elsewhere, regardless. But every pokemon they saw on the way here was so on edge...

... And for that matter, where are pokemon like Shiinotic or Parasect, to help in the decomposition? To help break down the dead plants - both to feed themselves and to return the nutrients to the soil?
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON May 25, 2023 0:13:58 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

She leaned against a nearby tree, cocking her head at them as they spoke. There was an air of calculation to her, as if she was sorting through some unseen equation.[break][break]

Whatever answer it was she found after listening to them, she didn't share it. Instead she let out a soft laugh, shaking her head.[break][break]

"Is it to be a monster, then?" she teased, her arms crossed. "What a bothersome thing that would be for you Rangers. Rampaging unchecked... Laying waste to the wildlife and Pokemon."[break][break]

But she didn't sound sorry for the plight of the Petalburg Woods.[break][break]

She sounded almost proud, instead.[break][break]

"Have you any other theories?"

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 2:20:22 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
A monster... The way she said it made it sound as though she were implying something that wasn't human nor a pokemon - but... The alternative there would be... Something like an Ultra Beast, right? Which while they didn't want to immediately deny the possibility, well...

... They couldn't deny the strange person standing right before them, either. Nor the lack of concern or the odd sense of pride she seemed to give off, amidst all of this.

El took a second to glance to their own pokemon - carefully climbing back up into Heidrun's saddle. They were able to feel just how unsettled she was, when they rested a hand against one of her horns - and honestly, they were, too. There was a notion at the back of their head that they shouldn't be here - that it wasn't safe - and yet...

"... I... don't want to make any wild guesses, just right off the bat." The young ranger spoke as they moved, with a brief shake of their head. Not when they only just got here, not when they only just began speaking to this strange woman, for as strange as she may be. "I was - uhm - hoping that looking around would get me a better idea of the situation."

Glancing back to her though... "My name is El... Might I ask your name?" El questioned, introducing themself in the process.
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 6:21:45 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..." she recited in answer to them, before she smirked. Playfully, she answered, "You can call me Lisa."[break][break]

That had been the name that had she'd tried to escape in Kalos. Wearing the title of a damned woman seemed fitting, now.[break][break]

She watched El's Pokemon respond in the way that any creature naturally responded to the presence of a predator. They recognized her wild-eyed stare for what it was, she supposed. They knew when they might need to attack.[break][break]

For now, she was a predatory feline content to play with her food, rather than eat it.[break][break]

"My theory," she began, her voice low in a conspiratorial whisper, "is something resented these woods so deeply it sought to punish them for it. Or at least, that's usually how tales of angry ghosts go, don't they?"[break][break]

She leaned in closer, almost uncomfortably so. Not necessarily due to her proximity, but the piercing nature of her stare.[break][break]

"Have you ever resented something or someone, El?"

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 7:14:36 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
Lisa... Something about the name tugged at the back of El's mind - that this should be familiar in some way - and yet, they couldn't quite put their finger on it. Who was it again, that owned the florist shop around here..?

Not that they had very long to consider it, before this Lisa continued speaking - her voice but a soft whisper, like that of sharing a forbidden secret or juicy gossip. That something resented the woods, to the point that they decided they'd destroy it.

To leave nothing but ruin behind.

As Lisa leaned in, Bibidi would shuffle to the side - prepared to bar the way between her and El, to protect them. But all the same, El heard her whispered question - felt her stare upon them - feeling the chill that gripped their heart only grow.

"I-" They began in an uncertain stammer, tearing their gaze away from her to instead stare at where their hands were clenching around Heidrun's horns. Did they ever feel resentment? "I... don't think so - or not... Not usually?" Certainly, things frustrated them sometimes - they were only human, after all... But they liked to think that they never let those feelings sit around to simmer, or fester... Right?

Glancing back to meet Lisa's gaze, El was hit with the feeling that they needed to leave. Now, before they get caught up in some unseen snare. And picking up on those feelings, Heidrun would begin to move - prepared to turn around and leave--

... But would 'Lisa' let them?
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 0:14:50 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"You don't sound very confident in your answer," she replied, her voice a deceptive lull as she drew nearer. A sense of a trap being sprung filled the tension between them, her smile widening as her eyes sought to find something in El's.[break][break]

What she was searching for, exactly, remained to be seen.[break][break]

A pale hand alighted above their arm, delicate in its descent. There was something almost maternal in the gesture, as if it were meant to be reassuring rather than foreboding.[break][break]

"Why don't you show me?" she asked, sweetly, before her palm brushed against theirs.[break][break]

The moment she touched them, a flood of emotion sparked to life beneath the surface of their skin.[break][break]

she can also touch others to instill her own resentment in others, or to draw out deep-seated grudges to fuel her own spite. this effect, however, is temporary. (REQ: RPER PERMISSION)

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 3:10:25 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
El didn't respond to 'Lisa's words; they found themself agreeing with Bibidi's urging and Heidrun's unease. So, they initially had every intention of leaving atop the Gogoat's back. Perhaps they could enter this place from a different direction - avoid this strange woman, and find some clues elsewhere? That, or maybe leave completely, and find someone else to accompany them and back them up...

... But before Heidrun could so much as take her first steps away, Lisa had approached.

And all it took was the softest brush of her hand against El's own, for the young ranger to drift off into another world completely. From an outside perspective, El froze - their eyes glazing over, as if in a trance.

Neither Bibidi nor Heidrun appreciated whatever it was that Lisa had done - simply knowing that something was wrong. The Gogoat let out a frightened bleat, making to gallop away from the woman (with El in tow,) and the Alakazam attempted to push her away from the three of them with psychic energy.

But El wasn't cognizant of it. Instead, they had been swept up in a sudden surge of emotions, thoughts, memories... It was unbidden, and yet theirs all the same - their grip on Heidrun's horns subconsciously tightening with tension at the thoughts that came to their forefront. . .

. . . It was hard to say exactly where those first feelings of true resentment began. It wasn't an emotion that El felt easily - really, anything adjacent to anger or hatred sometimes felt foreign for how rarely it'd ever raise its ugly head for them. At best, they became frustrated. At best, they became upset. But it was rare that they ever got to the point of wanting to curl their hand into a fist, of wanting to furrow their brows, of wanting to raise their voice and yell.

Of course, that wasn't to say that El was incapable of feeling things like anger or hate. But, with how ugly and hurtful of an emotion it could be, they didn't like to acknowledge or dwell on it. Each time that it sprouted up like the weed that it was, they attempted to get rid of it.

They uprooted it.

They cut it.

They burnt it.

They stomped it down, down, down - down into the deep where they could forget about it, where it wouldn't bother them as they resumed going about their day. And usually, that was enough. They'd starve the fire that wanted to light up in their chest - and once they had a cooler head, they could sort out what was left behind.

But for all the effort that El put into smiling for others, there were those rare few weeds that kept regrowing. Those rare few flames that kept smoldering, waiting for kindling.

And for as much as they usually refused to acknowledge it, well... The biggest issue came in the form of a certain man they called their father.

Terrence Sunderland was an ambitious man with high hopes for the future, an unerring drive to see things get done, and a keen eye for even the littlest detail.

Terrence Sunderland was a high strung man with an obsession for fame, a difficulty in accepting 'no', and a need for perfection - for everything to be just right.

He had tried to become a gym leader, once upon a time - and made a rather honest attempt, all things considered. But when said endeavors did not work out, and he ended up in an office job with a wife and children instead, well... Even if he couldn't chase those dreams anymore - he could easily push it onto his children.

Particularly, golden child El.

A shame then, that they wanted none of it - neither the pedestal that they had been put on, nor the dreams that their father wanted to see them fulfill. Especially not when it came at the expense of those they loved - namely, that of . But regardless of how they felt, they lacked the courage to actually speak it.

Perhaps that's where the resentment began, then. Perhaps if things had been limited just to the occasional lesson in pokemon battles - even if it involved being dragged along to watch two pokemon fight, wincing and grimacing with empathy at every landed strike - it would've been okay. They would've been able to view it the same way one does when being dragged along on boring errands, even if this was less boring and more stressful. They loved their father back then, after all.

But to spend evenings pretending that they didn't hear the snide remarks, scolding, and rare arguments between their father and Isaac... To grow up knowing they're teetering on a pristine pedestal - a poisoned chalice - and fearing what might happen if they were to say that they wanted off... It wore on one's heart after a while, especially with the pressure on their shoulders, didn't it?

Especially when it reached the point of waking up one day, to see that neither Isaac - nor Kiryu - were home anymore. And in Isaac's absence - where he had once acted as a distraction and escape for them - the pressure of these unwanted expectations grew heavier.

Though with that being said... There were lingering feelings over Isaac leaving, too. A vague, distant, selfishness - a desire for that feeling of a whole family, denied by his absence. Why couldn't he stay, that selfish part of their mind asked? Or, why couldn't they have gone with him, instead?

But, they didn't tend to dwell on it - nowadays, it was a feeling that faded in lieu of their feelings towards their father. "Well, he said it best." They remembered the Isaac on the screen saying, when they had played his route during the hey-day of that strange otome game. "'If you get my son hurt again . . .' "

... Safe to say, even if the otome didn't prove to be accurate... It put things into perspective - and only served to reinforce those feelings of resentment that grew, deep down.
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2023 1:11:53 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"You bury your resentment deep," she observed quietly, her hand delicately pulling away from theirs. It was strange, how the more she witnessed others' quiet suffering, the less strange her own looked to her.[break][break]

Even those who attempted to feign otherwise, with a smile and a promise of idealism, had been wronged by this world.[break][break]

"Parents and children have such complicated relationships, don't you think?" she continued, leaning back to tilt her head skyward. Through the bare branches, she could see a full moon -- a reminder of the second patronage she buried, just as the Ranger beside her buried their own secret loathing. "My father loved me, but I wonder. What was the point of that love, if all it did was wrong the people he supposedly cared about?"[break][break]

With debts that left both her and her mother drowning to atone for his own sins. Loving the wrong person accrued its own debt, in that way.[break][break]

This kinship was meant to fill the emptiness that had manifested in her, somehow. Instead, the emptiness seemed to only expand, the resentment feeding on the unhappiness of others the way a parasite thrived on a host.[break][break]

"You bury your resentment, but the longer you refuse to feel it, the deeper its roots will grow. Until one day it demands to be felt."

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2023 7:14:35 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
As the connection - the influence - was broken, El sucked in a shaky hitching breath; it was like someone awakening from a deep sleep, sudden and surprised. Slowly, they sat up from their slumped position on Heidrun's back - brows initially furrowed and lip bitten from the lingering feelings that Elisabeth had brought forth.

But, as awareness of the waking world crept in, their expression changed. It became a mixed twist of emotions ranging from shock, to a deep discomfort, to some sense of regret - all originating from the realization as to what had just happened. The gaze they gave to the Avatar was almost haunted - to have a stranger bring out something they always kept to themself, and something so personal, against their will? It left them honestly a little shaken.

"W-what..." They breathed softly as they spoke; though their voice was also tight, shaky, off-balance. "What... was that? Why did you do that..?" It wasn't anything they'd experienced before - and to be dumped so suddenly into it, well.... Was it any surprise that they were a bit freaked out?

Her words were met with that same spooked gaze - wariness winning over any desire to be cordial or polite. And yet, there is a flicker in their gaze that goes to show that they're listening, that they're considering her words - even if there is a conflicted hue in it all. Cause surely, if he truly loved her, then that should be all that matters - right? That the love was there? And yet, if he hurt those around him, to just brush it all aside would be ignorant, wouldn't it?

Were they still thinking of her father, or their own?

That being said, there was some reason to her words - in avoiding bottling up one's feelings. And to this, El blinked, opened their mouth for a moment, before averting their gaze. "I... I shouldn't burden others, with my problems..." They responded softly - almost feebly - even if they didn't know why they were even staying to continue taking to her. Things like hate or resentment, they were feelings that you can't really just drop onto other people out of nowhere, right? "Just... Sorting through it myself is enough."

It should be enough, at least - and yet, with how off-kilter they felt now, they weren't so sure anymore...
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,382 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2023 16:55:01 GMT
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"Do what?" she asked sweetly, and her lips curled into a semblance of a smile. There was something cat-like in its gleam, like the sly curve of a crescent moon. "I'm quite sure I don't know what you mean."[break][break]

She arose to her feet, then, wiping the dirt and grass from her dark clothing as she turned once more to view the Ranger at her side. Their stammering evoked no pity in her; their confusion merited no explanation, to her mind. It was enough to know they both suffered.[break][break]

It was enough to know they, too, resented something or someone. Pain was the great unifier of humanity, or so she believed.[break][break]

"Whether or not you burden others," she continued, "see to it that you do not remain unaware of the burden on your own back. The longer you deny this part of you, the stronger it becomes. Until one day, when it claims its due, you will be unprepared for the debt you've collected to yourself."[break][break]

It was a warning she had given , in another time and place. It was a warning Elisabeth herself had not been given, before her own resentment could consume her.[break][break]

"This was entertaining, Ranger. Thank you for the little diversion."[break][break]

She moved to depart, and in her footsteps, the earth seemed to blacken and decay -- dying in the wake of her shadow.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 1:40:20 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
With an apt warning, 'Lisa' made her departure - and in her wake, death and decay followed. El watched as she disappeared amongst the deadened trees, the blight upon the earth she left behind being the only sign that she'd even been here at all. That, and the fire of unresolved resentment that she had stoked - leaving the young Ranger's chest feeling raw.

'Why can one's father be so hateful?' a voice in their heart quietly asked - as if hoping someone could provide an answer. 'Why can one's father reject a family member so easily?' But with them and their pokemon left by their lonesomes, there was noone to respond. Only silence reigned, amidst the distant rasps of bare branches and dry grass in the wind.

It was only when she could confirm that the danger had fully passed, that Bibidi would glance to El - concern in her eyes, as she brushed against their mind. That they were wrapped up in the comfort of her psychic presence like a warm blanket, cradled close.

Snapped out of their own thoughts by that touch, El blinked - their gaze drifting back to Bibidi, meeting her own. Feeling that questioning concern she directed at them, they attempted to force a smile - a weak chuckle. "I... I'm okay," they spoke. "I'll be okay."

A lie. It was another lie, another attempt to keep the burdensome thoughts and feelings to themself. Why do they do it, they wondered, when they usually hate the idea of lying?

Perhaps it was a good thing that Bibidi was a mind-reader, then. Because she was not blind to the turmoil that El was feeling in this moment, deep down. Carefully, she scooped them up in her arms - and taking Heidrun's pokeball, returned the Gogoat for them. And with that, she left these blighted parts behind - impressing El the question of heading back to Fortree for a bit. Namely, to their Secret Base.

Quietly, El curled up in Bibidi's embrace as she moved - digesting the question for a few moments... Before nodding, burying themself against her chest. "I think... I th-think I'd like that, yeah." They whispered softly, cursing the hitch in their voice.

And it'd only be a couple moments later, that the two would disappear - as Bibidi Teleported, so that they could both return home...