played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Fast Times at Mauville Gym
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 4:19:26 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music in my mind

Standing before the large building before her, Kara stretched from side to side. It had been a weird journey so far, but now she was in front of the first gym. Well... her first gym. Apparently there was one all the way back in Rustboro, and Navy had ran one in Dewford. Still, she hadn't actually been to either of those. No, this one was going to be her first now that she knew what they were.

Well, mostly knew.

The specifics weren't entirely something she was familiar with, but she knew if you wanted to be a good trainer, you needed to come to these and win. Which is exactly what she intended to do.

Straightening up as she finished her stretches, the trainer would smile to herself and start approaching the building, ready to challenge the leader inside and claim her first badge.

Saying it's gonna be alright

[attr="class","silpc-pkmn-img"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 9:03:27 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Entering the fairly small three-story office building on the northwest side of Mauville City, Kara would behold a striking-looking Gym lobby whose walls were painted with lightning yellows and thundercloud purples. The ceiling was not white; instead, it was covered in stormy purples and grays. It often provoked a sense of dread in challengers, as though lightning could strike them at any moment. Paintings of a grey-crowned, yellow, cyan, and purple tiger-like Pokémon were present throughout. Anyone of Johtonian heritage could easily recognize it as the legendary Beast, Raikou. Even as a still, the creature was menacing yet awe-inspiring to look at.

When it came time for Kara's appointment, the on-duty scheduler, ANDREW WEISS, called for her. "Challenger Kara Li?" the short, black-haired man rhetorically asked. "The Leader will see you now. Follow the signs all the way to the back of the Main Sector, to the moat arena. Good luck, and remember: with great speed comes great responsibility."

Provided she followed the signage, she would see Josh removing the saddle from Winky, his Greninja, as part of finishing his preparations for the match. "Challenger Li?" he asked, turning around after undoing the last strap. "Gym Leader Devlin, but you can call me Josh. These three are the ones you'll be doing battle with," he gestured toward the trio of Pokémon. "Winky, Ares, and Alphamax." The two dragons let out vicious roars that may have startled Kara if she wasn't ready for them.

Josh led Kara to the challenger's platform on the west side of the main battle court. It was a plain, grassy field with no obstacles to hide behind - perfect for speedy Pokémon to let loose. The court was also triple regulation size. "According to your application, the format will be singles, with three Pokémon per side. The battle lasts until one side's entire team is completely incapacitated. As challenger, you are permitted to swap Pokémon freely; as Leader, I am not. I have won the coin toss, so I will elect to make the first move."

With that, Josh walked to his Trainer's platform on the opposite side of the battle court, sending out all three of his Pokémon. Alphamax and Winky stood at his sides as the platforms rose to a substantial height over the court, a small gallery of fans cheering challenger and Leader on. Pointing toward Ares, the angry-looking Charizard belched FLAMETHROWER skyward in an effort to intimidate Kara. "Choose your first Pokémon carefully, challenger. It will be the only decision you will have time to ponder," Josh taunted.

{WC: 432}
{PC: 1}

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 9:13:32 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

Entering the gym was easy. Honestly, it was hard to be too nervous when you didn't really know what you were doing. Checking in at the front desk went smoothly, though she frowned a bit when the man spoke about speed and responsibility. Kara was less than certain that the comment meant anything.

With a shrug, she did her best to follow the signs and soon found herself in the arena. Which is about when her nerves actually kicked in. Taking several deep breaths, she listened to the man and moved to where she was supposed to stand. As she got into place, her fingers ran along the Pokéballs on her waist. With a tap of each one, they fell to the floor and opened.

In a flash, her friends stood by her side and she smiled.

Now she was back to being calm.

"First is easy," Kara said cheerfully, not seeming phased by the flame belching dragon before her. "Blue!" She gave a small stamp of her foot before nodding to the froakie. Eagerly it jumped forward, ready to take on the monstrosity without a second thought.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 7:52:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Kara's choice was expected. It was a demonstration that she as a trainer understood the type chart. It was the most important fundamental any trainer needed to know. There was a reason one part of a Gym Leader's test was filling out the entire type chart from memory in a short amount of time with a high degree of accuracy.

Once the order of Pokémon had been decided, the scoreboard lit up, filled with numbers only highly technical trainers would understand the calculations behind, yet were easy enough for spectators to follow and see how the match was being scored. Ares and Blue squared off, the Charizard glaring menacingly at the Froakie as they waited for the judge to drop the green flag. "Begin!"

As the match timer ticked down, Ares was quick to show what Mauville Gym was all about. Taking to the air, the flame-tailed dragon's blue and orange wings became wreathed in purple dragon energy, propelling him into a clumsy yet swift DRAGON DANCE.

{WC: 168}
{PC: 2}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Ares            Charizard         Good
Winky           Greninja          Good
Alphamax        Garchomp          Good

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 7:58:37 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

As soon as everything started, Kara crouched low and planted a hand on the floor. As charizard rose, she couldn't help but grin.

"Okay, Blue, you've got this! Bring him down from there!" Bolstered by the girl's words, the little froakie jumped up and down several times, darting about the field. In just a second, it had gathered several large rocks. With a bounce backwards, Blue let her frog-like arms fling apart and from out of his sticky hands came the stones. Like shuriken they flew, aimed to smack down the dancing dragon and show that the pair weren't playing around.

Though the grin on the trainer's face suggested maybe they were, but that they were still serious.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 23:27:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Though Ares' DRAGON DANCE made him fast, the Froakie was even more slippery. The water-type was already in the air before Josh could even think about ordering the use of DRAGON CLAW to slice and dice the young Pokémon. Small stones became lodged in the fire dragon's wings, SMACKING him DOWN to the ground and disrupting their flight surfaces to the point where he could no longer fly. The roar that came from the Leader's Pokémon was a sign that, while small, the Froakie was not to be underestimated. He learned that lesson from having battled 's Froakie twice.

Though his wings could no longer sustain him in flight, they could still be used to great effect. "Dodge this! AERIAL ACE!" Josh shouted. With a flap of his powerful, large wings, Ares dislodged several of the small stones embedded within them. Their powerful thrust enabled the dragon to put on some impressive land speed few imagined a Charizard to be capable of. With a second powerful wingbeat, Ares lunged at Blue dizzyingly fast, so much so that even the speed-focused Gym Leader could barely follow it.

COMBAT LOG:
> SMACK DOWN hits Charizard solidly, making him Ground-weak and preventing him from flying.
> Charizard readies a DRAGON DANCE-enhanced AERIAL ACE, targeting Froakie.

{WC: 188}
{PC: 3}

Ares            Charizard         Fair

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 23:39:52 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

Kara and her friends' celebration was cutoff quickly. Blue had landed a hit perfectly and started the fight off in their favor, but she was still a little guy against a big, brutish Charizard. One that had prepared. Like lightning it struck, sending the little frog Pokémon careening several feet through the air and landing in a thud against the ground.

"BLUE!" Jumping forward, the girl started to run towards her friend only to be stopped by Red and Green who held her back. Glancing down at them, she could only look on as the poor Froakie struggled back to her feet. She looked near ready to collapse from just the single attack, but Blue stood tall. Defiant in the face of everything, she would let her power out like a torrent.

All Kara could do was trust her.

"Okay, Blue. If you're sure... take him down!" She didn't know if her friend had enough left to finish it, but as she watched, the blue frog spun up a ball of water in her hands before throwing the water pulse with all her torrential might directly at the powerful dragon before it.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2023 2:43:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
If Red and Green wouldn't stop Kara, then the safety rails surrounding the platform composing her Trainer's Box would. Ares instinctively flapped his wings to try to escape the short-range WATER PULSE, but with them being full of stones, the Charizard was grounded. If the direct blow wasn't enough, the splash caught his tail. With a loud roar that made the gallery gasp in awe, Ares fell to the court's floor in a heap. "Charizard is unable to battle," the side judge announced, raising a red flag. "Judges' call: one point, Challenger Li."

The Gym Leader didn't seem bothered by being behind at all. In fact, he was smirking as he pointed toward his Greninja. "Winky, you're on." With a high leap from the trainer's box, the adult species of Kara's Pokémon performed some crazy-looking flips. Didn't she see a saddle on that Greninja not long ago? How could anyone ride a Pokémon capable of doing that and not just... vomit?

"POWER-UP PUNCH."

It was less a punch and more a stomp, the swift, grown amphibian looking to land on Kara's weakened Pokémon. The PROTEAN within the frog's front webbed feet turned them into something closer to fists, enhancing the already strong attack. Provided the blow landed, it would leave the Gym Leader in a commanding position, the Pokémon the challenger facing now possessing great strength in addition to blinding speed. It was a deadly combination the Mauville Gym Leader relied upon.

COMBAT LOG:
> Unable to escape to the air, the Charizard drops.
> Greninja leaps from the Trainer's Box in an effort to finish Froakie off with a POWER-UP PUNCH.
> PROTEAN makes Greninja a Fighting-type.

{WC: 246}
{PC: 3}

Ares            Charizard         KO

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2023 20:58:00 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

Kara grinned and moved to call back Blue, but Josh was quick and in rapid succession sent out his own Greninja and called for an attack. With a sharp whistle, she offered her own idea. If Blue was going down...

In a flash, the little guy met the kick head-on, using her speed to strike back in the same motion with a quick attack. They both knew it wasn't going to do much, but the trainer wanted to keep her momentum up and the Pokémon wasn't taking a loss without offering something back in return.

Of course, as low as the small frog was, the kick was plenty to send it rolling along the ground as soon as it made contact, Kara wincing the whole time.

"You did great, Blue," she soothed as she tapped the Poké ball on her side to call her friend home. Glancing across the field, she tried to meet Josh's gaze with a grin. She knew she didn't have long before she had to choose her next friend to battle, but she was going to take a quick beat for a breather. "This is fun," she admitted, "And you get to do this every day?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2023 6:57:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
What the small water-type lacked in power, it made up for in cunning. The QUICK ATTACK to Winky's underside was just fast enough to evade the larger frog's first stomp, though the aim of a follow-up was true. Still, that critical hit stung. Had that been a stronger attack, Josh may have found himself in a tight spot. "Froakie is unable to battle," the side judge announced, holding up a red flag. "Judges' call: one point, Leader Devlin."

Josh was happy to make conversation with Kara, Winky leaping about in anticipation of her next opponent. He returned the grin with one of his own. "This isn't even the fun part of my job. The part I enjoy most is racing on one of my Pokémon around faster than you can legally ride on the highway. When your Froakie grows up, it would be fun to race our Greninja together!" Their conversation would be interrupted by a loud squawk from the scoreboard: the challenger's pitch clock was down to five seconds. If she didn't make a move by then, she would be assessed a one-knockout penalty!

COMBAT LOG:
> Froakie's QUICK ATTACK lands a critical hit on Greninja.

{WC: 186}
{PC: 4}

Ares            Charizard         KO

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,943 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2023 5:08:59 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]GYM BATTLE COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: