March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Expedition Log: The Wilds [S][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 4:05:01 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
It had been months since the Battle of Littleroot that had reshaped Shalin's purpose within the League. More accurately, they were events that gave Shalin true purpose within the League. True value to the League. It would be value that would one day vault her to being in the running for a Ranger-Captain seat. As of yet, she lacked the seniority and experience to consider such a run. Perhaps her meeting with to discuss her many excursions into Ultra Space would help tip the scales in her favor. She also anticipated the scientist would be interested in seeing her anomalous Pokémon as well as what she could do with her SYGNA SUIT.

Landing her Shiny Beedrill near the outer gate and dressed in her green-scaled Flygon suit, Shalin instructed her mount to ring the gate's doorbell. Queen Zing did so, gently pressing the point of one of her foreleg stings against the button. With a buzz that sounded quite different than her companion's wings in motion, she expected she had grabbed Illeana's attention.

She had a lot to talk about.

{WC: 182}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Queen Zing      Beedrill**         Good
Sandy           Flygon             Good
Treble          Kommo-o            Good
Lathiel         Type: Null         Good
Nymris          Pheromosa          Good
Serena          Persian            Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2023 4:04:32 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]her head turns at the buzz, eyes snapping to attention. it signals company, a visitor... and for a moment, she feels a small sense of anxiety coil itself up into her stomach like a viper. the sensation dies as she gets up, as she cuts the head off the snake and leaves the remains behind to rot.

her voice sounds on the speaker, then, before the gate opens.

"come on in."

the gate widens like the mouth of a cavern, beckoning the adventurer in.

and when shalin follows a familiar path to illeana's lab, she'll find the scientist already waiting with a small smile.

"hey, nice to see you again!"

the expression grows, spreading roots until it'd be difficult to remove.

"you've been well, i hope?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 4:57:56 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The lab looked familiar as ever. It was the same lab where Shalin had learned that her Beedrill did not, in fact, come from one of Hoenn's distortions; she was just among the largest Queen Beedrill in the region. The growing smile did not go unnoticed; she wondered if it was the Flygon SYGNA SUIT Shalin was in. Perhaps her interest would be piqued with a little... demonstration, if she would afford her the space. Perhaps there was a test field in the back of the lab area she could show off her Pokémon and the powers her suit bestowed upon her. She would hopefully find out soon enough.

That was secondary, though. Her primary purpose was to report in on the rifts.

"Mostly as well as can be! One of my expeditions hit a huge payday that let me get Sygna Suited up," the explorer bragged. "It's made going through the Ultra Wilds a lot easier. Wearing one versus not wearing one is like night and day." The girl twirled her Shiny Beedrill's Poké Ball in her right hand, looking for a place and an excuse to let her greet the scientist. "I mostly wanted to provide you an update in that venture, since it's been... what is it, eight months since we've last seen each other?"

Her red eye shields glinted in the lab's light, her vision in light shades of the color while she wore the supernatural attire. "I've taken trips to several of the rifts by now, though Ultra Sea and Ultra Desert are the ones I've spent the most time in. Plus, there's the matter of the Petalburg Woods blight. It's made regional news; I'm sure you've heard by now."

{WC: 286}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 17:00:21 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]her smile brightens.

"congratulations on the sygna suit, shalin. it is well deserved."

and necessary, perhaps, for continued expeditions into the wilds. harsh conditions on the body negated by the protective layer a synga suit provides - there is nothing better for an explorer than that.

at the mention of the petalburg woods blight, she nods.

"yes, i have. it's an oddity - one we have yet to fully figure out."

no matter, though, for that is not what they are here for. she gestures for shalin to have a seat, to settle in and relax for what will surely be a lengthy conversation.

"let's start with the ones you have been to the most... ultra sea and ultra desert, correct?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2023 3:33:02 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"Thanks so much!" Shalin smiled back, the Flygon scales comprising her suit reflecting the lab's artificial light. "If you've got some kind of testing chamber or field, I'd love to demonstrate what my suit can do sometime while I'm here. It's pretty out of this world, and a lot of fun!" While its primary purpose was to insulate Shalin against the harsh atmosphere of the Ultra Wilds and make her a more effective combatant the next time she would be conscripted into a League operation, which was becoming more likely given her bid for a Ranger Captain seat, having a little fun on the side couldn't hurt!

"You may have already heard this from Gym Leader , as we spend a fair bit of time together, but whoever did that is really powerful. She supposedly wielded this snail-like Pokémon that single-handedly caused the entire disaster."

Shalin would be content to leave the discussion of Petalburg at that, getting to the meat of the topic. "Right, let's start with the Ultra Desert, since I have more time there." She started to share her temperature data with Illeana, reporting the extremes to be greater than any deserts in Hoenn. It was hotter than the Great Desert in July during the day, and colder than the Silent Icelands in January at night. "Even discounting the normal dangers of the Ultra Wilds' atmosphere, conditions are completely unlivable. Colosaal Orthworm, even bigger than the Pokémon you'd find in Space-Time Distortions, were some of the only non-Ultra Beast life forms I found. And that was just from the first visit. I went there three times with , , and ."

She continued to describe her traumatic experience within. "The next time I went there, we made a shaded camp to protect us from the elements, and we needed Pokémon-based heating and cooling to survive. That night, I had the craziest dream about the Halls of Origin under Sootopolis." She shed a tear or two thinking about the Pyroar she was once very close to. "You might remember me talking about the Medallions of Eight at Littleroot. Well, that night, I had a dream that deep within the Halls of Origin, I fought this giant Hydreigon that took my Pyroar's life. The scary part is that the dream later came true in frightening detail. It was only thanks to 's heroism that I survived."

{WC: 400}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 22:54:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"yeah, we can run some tests after we're finished here if you'd like!"

for now, however, the information shalin holds from the rifts is at the forefront of the mind. it will waver, not until each drop has been extracted.

she's quiet as the ranger launches into a verbal report. a hum or two punctures through explanations but she offers no comments just yet. only when shalin has concluded does she begin.

"what of the dimensional structure of the rift?"

her eyes are sharp, focused, bordering on hungry. there's particular things she's searching for here, though they will not be found. later, with a former flame in lesser megalopolis, will she find that which she seeks.

"were there any gaps in the space there or was it holding together?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Oct 27, 2023 4:21:24 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin's eyes lit up at Illeana honoring her request; she had been practicing with her bugs and her Flygon, and to be able to show what she could do to someone specializing in biology was wonderful! Perhaps she could even explain what it was what that let her survive being shaken about so fiercely that it would cause anyone else's skin to turn solid red.

For now, though, she delivered the information that the scientist requested.

"While I'm not in the know about what signs to look for, I do have that thing you gave me to collect that kind of data." She rummaged through her bag to find the device, courteously handing it directly to her. "Hopefully you can get everything you need out of it!"

She moved on to her next expedition, the one to the Ultra Sea. "The rift on Dewford leads to this place that feels like it's underwater, but isn't. The air is so dense there that you can swim through it, and it has this weird effect on sight. Almost like you're seeing in slow motion. When I rode my Beedrill there, I could see her individual wingbeats." It was a wild claim, considering Beedrill had some of the highest wingbeat rates of any Pokémon in the world.

"I spent most of my time there exploring the wreckage of this vessel called the Quaestor Lucis," she reported the presence of the former Megalopolan vessel. "Have you received any other reports of it?"

{WC: 239}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2024 19:13:48 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]the device is handed over and the scientist gently places it on the desk next to her, already adding the task of scanning it for files to her agenda for this afternoon.

"thank you - this device will definitely be helpful."

and with the device out of the way, shalin pivots toward the rift known as the ultra deep sea. it's an odd place, in illeana's opinion... as if it's alive somehow.

"do you believe the effect on sight is caused by something in particular? like within the environment there? some sort of toxin or radiation, maybe?"

she continues to take notes, circling the ship name once or twice before her eyes dart back up to find shalin's.

"i have, though some reports definitely vary."

no two experiences are the same, she's found, even in the rifts.

"did you find anything of interest within the quaestor lucis?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2024 18:34:15 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin hadn't considered what was causing the effect. Perhaps it was Ultra Beast toxin, whether from Nihilego directly or it just being part of the realm's surroundings. "Whatever it is, it seems to be limited to that environment. If your device took atmospheric data, you'll have a good shot at finding the answer there. It seems to be purely visual, though; I didn't feel a difference between there and anywhere else when I slid onto her wing."

That was quite the slip. She wanted to get to that later on, but with her Sygna Suit's power mentioned, she couldn't delay it for too much longer. "Right, my suit. We'll get to that in a bit." The ability to sit on something buzzing so fast, let alone keep her cognizance while doing so, bordered on Avatar powers. Was a special power budding and blossoming within her and the bond with her Flygon?

"I did find quite a bit down there," Shalin reported, describing her tales of an entire clutch of Ultra Beast eggs, reports that only Ultra Beasts inhabited the realm, and toxic bubbles floating about the ship's basement. "The vessel also powered on for a few seconds before powering off again. I wonder if we could salvage it if we figured out what it used for fuel."

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2024 2:54:47 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]a thoughtful hum bubbles up out of the scientist's throat.

"hmm... do you believe that sensation was specific to the deep sea, then?"

it would help to narrow down the cause if they only need to look further across one rift versus all of them. she doesn't doubt, either, that the device will produce enough data for her to reach a more solidified conclusion.

and as shalin recounts her findings, illeana takes notes of the mentions - each one as important as the last. from ultra beasts and their egg clutches to toxic bubbles, she has enough to add to the device's recordings for a full painting. at the mention of the ship powering on, however, her pen stills.

her eyes rise a moment later, curious but wary all the same.

"based on what we know from other reports, it's a megalopolan ship. their technology was previously fueled by the energy of ultra beasts, ultra space, or even the occasional legendary pokemon."

after a brief pause of consideration, her lips press into a neutral line.

"i'd caution against trying to salvage the ship with fuel, however. it could draw the ultra beasts and the megalopolans both... though, it could be extracted without needing to power it back up perhaps."

where there's a will, there's a way - right?

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2024 16:29:17 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
It was an odd sensation, only affecting her there, and only her sight. She could still experience the overwhelming tingling sensation from the vibration rocking her. "I think so," Shalin nodded. "Never seen anything like it anywhere else. I haven't been to all the rifts yet, though. Still haven't poked my head into Ultra Crater, for one. It's on my list."

A Megalopolan ship? Yikes. "That may have been how they got here in the first place. While my Hoennian history isn't too sharp, didn't they start showing up in greater numbers after May?" she asked, referencing the Galar Memory where she got a preview of what her Sygna Suit could do when fully powered.

The idea of moving the derelict vessel, especially with how infested the basement was and how it had flooded, seemed impossible. "How, though? The lower level was completely buried. Unless... you know any legendary psychic Pokémon that could possibly teleport such a massive hunk of metal that far? Sounds like a behemoth of a task."

"I didn't walk away empty-handed, though. I managed to walk away with three Pokémon I had never seen before," she continued, describing a Poipole, Buzzwole, and Pheromosa. "The way their energies and my Sygna Suit interact is... peculiar."

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2024 18:48:47 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]ah - so it's specific to the deep sea, then... that helps. she jots down another note about it and scribbles a little start next to it for ease of finding it later.

at the mention of hoenn history, however, her pen stills once more.

"the megalopolans have been here since the ultra beast war."

she flashes a small, wary smile - mostly teeth.

"they've been in hiding, but the arrival of the meteno meteor saw those still here in our universe align themselves with team rocket. there are likely others still hidden among us, but they've been here for years now unfortunately."

it is, however, cause for concern if there had been a ship to have landed after the ultra beast war... she'd have to look into that piece of information.

"extracting the ship would require an exact plan to be formulated, but psychic pokemon are a possibility along with pokemon who specialize in digging to free the lower level. we can look into it if there's a need for the technology itself."

she doubts it, but there could be technology housed within the vessel's body that could assist her in closing the rifts.

and as shalin continues, illeana's pen resumes writing down the notes. the ultra beasts are designated to their respective home rifts and she underlines them briefly.

"it's likely the remnants of ultra space within them that's causing the reaction with your sygna suit - the two energy signatures are not compatible that we know of."

different energies always produce an odd reaction. she finds it fascinating, really.

"now, do you have any other information about the rifts you'd like noted while we're here?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2024 18:04:19 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
So it had been a lot longer than just Meteno. That war was years ago, it seemed, and in a way, was still going on. No wonder it had been such a mess for the League to try to clean up, and that they were pushing for every able-bodied Trainer to pitch in.

"If you have the Pokémon for it, we might have to look into it together. It'll be tricky now, though, what with the basement being flooded. And not just with water."

Extracting the vessel would be a tremendous challenge, but not an impossible one. With enough psychic Pokémon, they stood a chance. The League even had several legendary psychic Pokémon in their custody. Perhaps they could borrow Jirachi to help if need be.

"Not regarding the rifts, but regarding those energies. It's like my suit... half works with them. If you've got a testing field of sorts, I can show you there if you're not too busy. With how big Nymris, the white, bug-like Pokémon is, he'd cause too much of a mess in a lab like this." It did make her a little nervous inside; being buzzed off the Pheromosa's wing was a painful experience that she had to be wary of every time she got on the alien insect. "If you're too busy, though. I understand!"

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2024 4:34:32 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]a nod follows.

"we can certainly try testing it to see if it'll work with the ship's current position."

after drawing up a more concrete plan, at least. for now, they'd still be within the theorizing stages... next meeting, perhaps, they'll have more.

and at the mention of her sygna suit working with an ultra beast, illeana blinks almost owlishly - caught off guard by the concept.

"while your suit might help you withstand some things, it is not possible for the suit to work with an ultra beast."

of this, she is certain. the league labs had worked on the suits and crystablooms themselves. somewhere in her files lies the study results, etched with infinity energy readings and experiments.

"ultra beasts, along with legendary pokemon, possess far too much energy for the sygna suit to withstand. it's simply impossible to use a suit in tandem with these creatures. with this in mind, i don't believe a demonstration would be necessary. we can conduct another meeting in the future about studying your sygna suit, however, if you wish."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,466 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2024 15:51:23 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The extraction of the ship would almost certainly be more complex than Shalin could have imagined, if it was even feasible at all. If it were truly necessary, though, they had the resources to do it. If they had to borrow Jirachi's psychic powers to do so, that may have been an option. They would of course need to run it by the Commissioner, but it was a resource at their disposal.

"That explains a lot," Shalin answered after hearing the scientist's expert advice. "I first thought their wings might be too fast for my suit to handle keeping me on. Sorry, Olivia and Nymris, my Buzzwole and Pheromosa. But if it's their energy fields suppressing the suit, that makes a ton more sense." It explained why Nymris could carry her, but only while her wings remained mostly still. Even so, the Ultra Beast was an incredibly fast way to travel over land. "If we keep working together, though, I'm sure you'll see it in action."

{PC: 8}