5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Carousel of the Gods [M][C/Alexei]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 20:48:28 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Funtasia was a nice surprise for Josh. After all the stress Galar, the Elite Test, and his restitution put him through, the Gym Leader needed a break. He left his Gym in the hands of his Gym Trainers, taking a few days off to experience the giant carnival. As much of a thrill seeker as he was, the Rayquaza Rollercoaster didn't catch his immediate attention, neither did any of the other high speed attractions that one would think someone with a title of "Master of Faster" would be be magnetized to. Nope, it was the statue of the Great One atop a rather large carousel.

That was the Merry-Go-Round of Friendship.

It was a carousel of nothing but legendary Pokémon. Though he had been on the "real" Raikou before (and not even the true Raikou, just a Sacred Ash clone), he still loved Raikou. There was quite the variety of legendary Pokémon sculptures on display. Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were all present, as were the Kantonian legendary birds and all three of the Unovan Djinn in their Therian Formes. Josh even smiled as a young child, seated on an enormous Chi-Yu, waved at him. He waved back.

As the previous group of riders and their temporary legendary partners slowed, Josh made a detailed mental note of where the outside row Raikou was, to ensure he could get on the Beast of his dreams before anyone else could. Once the gate dropped, he made a mad dash for the thundercat and hopped on, Raikiri taking a seat next to him on the middle-row Suicune. The Zeraora had recently relearned to assume a bipedal stance, the thundercat now fully capable of swapping between running on all fours and standing on his hind legs.

A couple seconds later, a beady-eyed child stared at Josh, looking like he was about to cry at any moment. "Hey there - did you want the Raikou?" he asked, completely turning the male's frown upside down when he dismounted from the Raikou. "All yours." Two rows behind him were Pokémon very familiar to him - sculptures of the four Ruinous Pokémon, three of which he had met. Reminding him that he still wanted to track the snow cat down at some point, Josh took a seat on the Chien-Pao's back, one hand on the pole keeping the saber-toothed cat attached to the main structure, and the other on the reins as though he rode a real Pokémon.

STAMP: Cheer up a distressed kid.

{WC: 412}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Raikiri         Zeraora           Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 13:28:01 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

This was crazy in and on itself.

There was a merry-go-round of nothing but legendary Pokémon, and although ‘Enamorus’ wasn’t there, he almost laughed his face off when he saw the brothers three—or at least, familiar-looking visages that resembled the other two (he was more than certain that there was a bird-form Tornadus there) and made like an overgrown kid to ride the danged thing.

Of course, he wasn’t expecting to find a familiar face among the other ‘riders’ that had taken a trip among one of the ‘safer’ carnival attractions out here.

“Hey, Josh!” he waved from his perch on (unsurprisingly) the Therian-forme Tornadus. “What brings you all the way out here? You’re never away from Mauville!”

prompt: ride the merry-go-round.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 16:54:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Hearing Alex call out to him, Josh turned his head toward the Birdfather's voice and chuckled. It came to no shock that he was atop the Therian Turnadus. It almost looked natural, as if it was meant to be. "Ah, Alex, great to see you!" he waved back as the seats of the Ting-Lu and Wo-Chien around him became occupied, as well. For some of the legendary Pokémon replicas, the artists had taken significant creative liberties to make them comfortable to be astride. "I'm putting on an attraction while the carnival's in Mauville, so I figured I'd come out here to enjoy it while I can. It involves my gym Pokémon, unsurprisingly." He may have been able to figure out what it was going to be about just from that.

"I'll be coming back to this thing a lot. It's amazing!" he chirped, a bit more excited than he should have been, considering he had been on the backs of real legendary Pokémon before. "I've got my eyes on the Raikou, the Latios, and the Solgaleo! Oh, and the Ho-oh!" Despite the giant Ho-oh adorning the roof, there was also a Ho-oh within the ranks of the carousel. Of course, he would never ask for a ride on 's Ho-oh for real, unless it was a life-threatening situation; to him, being ferried about by the Great One was blasphemous.

Once the boarding time was up, round and round the riders went, losing himself in the fantasy of riding the swift snow cat that was Chien-Pao. He even pulled on the feline's ice-colored reins to simulate a left turn. While it was certainly a "safer" carnival attraction, it was still fun! It made him want to return to The Border and catch that feline for real...

STAMP: Ride the merry-go-round.

{WC: 298}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 17:03:15 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

From his comfortable perch, he had to do a take-two when he realized just where the other had chosen to ride. Wasn’t that the… huh. Unless he was seeing things, two of the ‘ridable’ Pokémon on the carousel resembled the ones that were sighted out on—

He had to fight down the momentary wave of panic that rose up his gut; forcing himself to take a deep breath before hanging onto his perch like it was nothing.

“Obviously,” he remarked with a knowing smirk. “I have several, too, however they’re all the way at the Sanctuary grounds because I can’t move the aviaries out of there, it’s too much trouble,” he cackled.

(Hello, Toucannon Sam.)

And then he realized—

“Have you gone to that booth? The Taurus rodeo?”

It didn’t hurt to ask!

prompt: reference a Taurus rodeo game.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 17:54:18 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh, on the other hand, showed no signs of panic at all being around the artists' renditions of the four ruinous beasts. He was riding one of them, even, and seemed to be enjoying it! Was it just because he had seen Chien-Pao's incredible speed first-hand, blissfully unaware of the sheer hatred the creature possessed?

"I'll need to check them out later in the week, then!" he answered, curious as to what Alex had cooked up to entertain carnival guests. Was the location really close enough to the Sanctuary that the Leader could run an attraction off-site? Thankfully, Josh didn't have to worry too much about that; with his Gym staff able to back him up, he could get his Pokémon to and from the carnival with ease.

"I have, but I don't have any interest in participating in the Tauros contest," Josh answered as several onlookers took pictures of him astride the snow cat. He recognized at least one of them as a season-pass holder at his Gym. Fanatics would really follow him anywhere, wouldn't they? "There's a reason that Angrath, my Tauros, is one of the few Pokémon at my Gym I don't actually ride. He's used for construction and maintenance, mostly. They get out of control at a hair trigger, and their bucking hurts. I don't know how Shalin does it. Have you seen her spot on the leaderboard in that game? She might win the whole thing if she keeps it up."

The exciting part of the ride came as the legendary carousel transitioned from half speed to full speed. It brought joy to Josh's heart when he heard the scream of the young child seated on the Raikou. Josh, too, had a big grin and let out a whoop of his own, daydreaming about speeding across the land on the real thing.

STAMP: Mention the Tauros-Rodeo booth.

{WC: 309}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 18:12:25 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Wow. Josh, a rider—actually passing on an attraction that involved riding, even in theory, a mechanical Tauros?

(If it were a Bouffalant, would the other man change his mind, though?)

“I—I never thought I’d hear you say that, you? Passing on a riding game?” he blinked.

Just as a joke, he threw the next lines, “Who are you and what have you done with Josh Devlin?” before breaking into a fit of laughter.

Right then and there the carousel sped up—but to him it was nothing, he’d cruised at higher altitudes than this, and on actual ridable avianid Pokémon with no saddle whatsoever!

He looked almost lazy, even.

Hm, would he hit the Dugtrio Ring toss booth when they got off the ride next?

(Who knows if his cursed luck with carnival attractions would continue…)

prompt: reference a Dugtrio ring toss game.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 19:34:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's smile grew as he thought of the perfect joke to retort Alex's quip with. "You spelled Shalin Nariya wrong," he replied in laughter alongside the Fortree Leader. "It's the bucking and kicking that makes me not like it. I'm just not used to that like she is."

As they sped up, Josh leaned lower as though he was riding a real Pokémon, closing his eyes and imagining the wilderness flying by on his legendary partner. "Akuji, faster!" he couldn't help but cry, visualizing the Chien-Pao's strides that were harsh and long even by feline standards. From his experience in the Border, he was aware of how blistering fast the snow cat was. He had to go back there to catch it. He already had a name in mind, even.

As Josh felt the carousel slow, he opened his eyes, his time in fantasy land over for the time being. Raikiri slid down from the Suicune and rejoined Josh, who took a picture of the Chien-Pao before leaving for their next destination. "That snow cat is so cool," Josh remarked after meeting up with Alex, letting the next group board the carousel. "If Raikou really isn't out there, that would be my second choice. Anyway, where to?"

STAMP: Ride the carousel.

{WC: 208}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2023 6:28:37 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Oh my god, you actually already have a name picked out for it, too?”

Truly, the depths people would go to for their favorites. He was too afraid to call the Tornadus he owned by any name other than its title (which those from northern Unova would be familiar with, himself one of those people) out of respect borderline reverence.

Once the merry-go-round came to a slow and then a stop, he hopped down from the Tornadus’s back like it was nothing.

That was a walk in the park, easy, he thought to himself as he hummed before getting another idea…

“You want to head over to the Drop Tower next?” he offered. Clearly with Fortree’s location, most of the crazier rides all had something to do with altitude; it was now a matter of trying to see who would chicken out and get airsick.

(Not him, of course, but nobody else needed to know about that, right?)

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2023 18:05:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh laughed at Alex's reaction. "Raikou, too. If he's still out there, there's no better name than Swift! It's what I named him in this full-sim MMO I play on and off. Even if I only truly get to control Raikou in a digital universe... what can I say. You know my feelings about him." With no leads, though, all he could do was bide his time. It was for the best, given how he ruined a young child's life through his at-the-time unhealthy desire for the Johto Beast.

At the suggestion of the Drop Tower, Josh smiled. "That sounds like a lot of fun, long as the line's not too long!" With how close it was to the divine carousel, Josh didn't even feel the need to get on Raikiri's back. He did want to, at some point, take the Fortree Gym Leader on the fastest ground ride he had at his fingertips. "Apparently Shalin has her own living Drop Tower now by way of a Venusaur. You should see the size of that thing - it's a real behemoth!"

{WC: 180}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2023 22:15:14 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I can’t even give Tornadus a name! It’s more… out of respect, more than anything,” he hummed quietly as they made their way over to the line for the drop tower ride—which was surprisingly short, considering that it was one of the bigger rides available.

“Wait, what? She does?” he blinked. He knew that some Pokémon could grow to bigger sizes than normal, but… unless that Venusaur could grow to the size of a building, then…

He pursed his lips for a few moments.

“Now that I have to see for myself,” he went on as he was led to one of the open seats on the drop tower ride, and strapped himself in.

“Hope you don’t lose your lunch!” he cackled afterward.

prompt: ride one of the drop tower rides.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 22:15:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"If that's how you feel about him, then that's fair," Josh answered as they rose up the tower. "I just don't see what's fundamentally different about those Pokémon other than them being rare. Ultimately they want to bond with people who share their line of thinking... you know?"

What a naive fool Josh was. It was folly to think that way. There was no befriending a god. If anything, the gods enslaved their chess pieces. It was merely the appearance of that slavery that varied with the Patron.

"In a weird way, but she does! Her Venusaur's vines are so big that she can hop on them like any of her other Pokémon. She told me I'd like it because of how fast they go. I had to tell her no way. You expect me to ride on a Vine Whip cracking at full speed?" It wasn't the sheer speed of the whip that was a problem; Josh's very fastest flying mounts approached the speed of a whip. When her wings started to vibrate, Tiamat, Josh's Dragonite, could go supersonic. The issue was being yanked in a circle at those speeds. If a light turn on Raikou stretched his skin, such a turn would rip his arm off.

With Josh and Alex strapped on, their ride dropped from underneath them, making them feel like they were in free fall. "Is this what Shalin feels when she's on that vine?!" Josh cried as he felt the car accelerate further, feeling like he was being pushed against its ceiling...

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 22:28:54 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Now if only I could guess what mine was thinking. I kind of miss the other one… the one I met before the one I have with me now,” he corrected as they began to rise above the crowd.

In no time flat they were hurtling towards the apex of the drop ride, and he could only flash this absolutely demonic smile on his face.

“Why don’t you ask her?!” he shouted to the wind, the moment they hit the ceiling before suddenly going into freefall for a few seconds—to others it felt like an eternity; but to him it was like all those times he’d done those aerial transfer maneuvers…

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 23:18:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh loved the drop, too. It felt like the day he rode the emerald serpent, their DRAGON ASCENT sending them soaring high above Hoenn, then the back half of it hurtling toward the surface faster than a meteor. Only this was at an intensity that the average person could endure.

Upon reaching the bottom, their ride recoiled upward, shaking them both harshly. "Yeeeee-haaaa!!!" Josh cried as though he were on the back of a Pokémon making a sharp, vertical turn, such as the ones his Dragonair was capable of. One moment he was floating in his seat, the next he was being squeezed by it from below. The momentum shift was whiplash-inducing. Perhaps this really did feel like riding a Venusaur's Vine Whip, again only at strength the average human could withstand.

The machine let its riders down gently after the main attraction had ended. "Woohoo, that's so much fun!" Josh exhaled. "It's more fun doing it with a Pokémon, though!"

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,044 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 5:17:57 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

While the whiplash made his companion scream from the way the ride recoiled before it settled down and let them hop off so they could go on to the next one.

It was like seeing stars pop the moment he was back on land when they disembarked to go to the next ride.

“I’ll agree with you on that, doing that on the back of a Pokémon is way better than doing it on a ride,” he nodded.

“Is there like… anything else you want to after this ride?” he asked his companion for the day.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 18:42:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There truly was nothing like riding on a Pokémon, was there? Carnival rides, though thrilling, were all on rails. A trainer was free to control their Pokémon however they wanted, making the ride as intense as they wanted within the Pokémon's limits. There was, of course, a lot more responsibility on the rider's end, but to those who could handle it, the freedom was unlike anything a machine could offer.

Upon being asked, Josh checked the time. "It's actually time for me to go to my own attraction soon. Brought a bunch of my Gym Pokémon out here, and the kids love them. I've got time to catch a bite to eat with you before I gotta head out there, but that's about it."

{PC: 8}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights