6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Mirror rorriM [M][C/Jack]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 21:07:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After downing a couple of corn dogs, Josh wanted something not too strenuous to do while his food settled. If he went on the Rayquaza rollercoaster now, he wouldn't be able to keep his lunch down. True to the Pokémon's name, that coaster was fast. What it lacked in g-force compared to other coasters, it more than made up for with raw speed. It still had its moments of making its riders feel like they were being squeezed, but the primary thrill was speed. Of course, it was nothing like the real thing, which was enough to make him vomit on what he thought was an empty stomach. After all, there was a big difference between just above the legal highway driving limit and a speed best expressed as a factor of Mach.

Magikarp Fishing simply wasn't his cup of tea; one of the toughest parts of Splashfest for him was trying to catch the water-type he wanted. Unlike many others, he didn't have the patience to simply watch the world go by as he waited for something to hit his line. He craved action. There was plenty of that at Funtasia.

Josh loved the challenge of solving a puzzle, and one such puzzle was the carnival's House of Mirrors. Rather than a simple oval, this one was maze-like, and it challenged its visitors to navigate it in the shortest possible time. While he and his Zeraora stood in line, he debated on whether he wanted to enjoy the attraction for what it was the first time, or jump right in and blitz through the reflective maze as quickly as possible!

STAMP: Involve or reference a Magikarp Fishing Game.

{WC: 272}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Raikiri         Zeraora           Good
close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2023 22:35:04 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
Hilariously for Jack, this Jack right here?

He was hopelessly lost in the house of Mirrors. Whoops!

To be fair, hed had another rogue Wooloo situation on his hands, which involved Lis of all things—and to make matters worse? Sumi the Yamper was now chasing circles around him rather than trying to help the situation at hand!

“Geez, what even am I going to do with you, Sumi,” he grumbled as he pressed the flat of his palms into his eyes. The reflective surfaces were only making things worse for him.

How long had he been in here, now?

+
+ used prompt: get lost in the house of mirrors.

[newclass=".iggy b"] color:#e6194e;font-size:13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".iggy i"] color:#e6194e;font-size:13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".iggy a"] font-size:13px; font-family: courier new; text-transform: lowercase!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 2:50:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had asked a tech about the House of Mirrors challenge. The maze was changed daily, but the distance traveled to get through to the end was a constant, making the leaderboard fair. "Alright, I'll just go into it normally and do the timed challenge later in the week!" Handing his tokens to the attendant, the Gym Leader and his Zeraora entered the highly reflective maze. The thundercat dropped to all fours, standing behind Josh with his saddle exposed to the ceiling. may have been able to see its reflection as Josh turned a corner, getting lost in the same dead-end as Jack did.

"...Is that you, Jack?" Josh asked. "Long time no see! Didn't expect to run into you out here." Raikiri raised a paw to greet him, but in the distortion of the curved mirrors, the paw may have looked like a living thunderbolt. "Planning on riding the Rayquaza coaster after this?"

STAMP: Get lost in the house of mirrors.

{WC: 155}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 20:38:49 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
The one good thing about his Yamper was that she was alert enough to detect a strange presence sneaking up on him—suddenly yipping and barking like mad at the reflection of the wildcat-like creature that had appeared in the highly reflective ‘walls’ of where they’d ended up in.

“Wha—huh?” he blinked as he stared at the reflection—and very nearly jumped out of his skin at the sight. Holy shit, that was a big cat!

“Sumi, calm down!” he continued in his exasperated voice, sighing before realizing that he was no longer alone.

“Oh… Josh, right?” he went on, blinking as he turned around. “How long have you been lost in here?” he added with a weak laugh.

“It… really depends, considering I have another rogue Wooloo situation on my hands.”

A wry smile followed that promouncement.

+
+ send help

[newclass=".iggy a"] font-size:13px; font-family: courier new; text-transform: lowercase!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 21:08:42 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The saddle strapped to Raikiri's back may have clued Jack in about how unusual Josh may have clued him just how unusual his Zeraora was, even among the rare species. "Yep, Josh, Mauville's Gym Leader!" he introduced himself. After all, it had been a long time since they had seen one another. "I just got in here not long ago. There's a time trial they're doing for the house of mirrors, and I'm going to attempt it tomorrow once they reconfigure the maze."

When he heard about the missing Wooloo, Josh, too, let out a weak laugh. "You have your Wooloo and I have my Pyroar. I've got five, with a sixth on the way. Thankfully it's a day where I'm not stuck running my booth with them. It's fun seeing all the kids ride them, but I want to enjoy the carnival myself, too." The word rogue had escaped Josh's mind before Jack's smile clued him in. "When did your Wooloo go missing? If it's not far, I'm sure Raikiri and I can track them down. Raikou may not have made it through the invasion, but Raikiri here is almost as fast," he bragged, the feline ready to drop to all fours and let Josh mount up the moment they were out of the mirror maze. "Let me lead you out, then we can find your Wooloo."

STAMP: Successfully find your way through the house of mirrors.

{WC: 228}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2023 19:13:03 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
“It happened when we made our way in here. She’s got the mind the size of a marble. Remember how some people are like ‘ooh, shiny’ when they see sparkly little things? Well, I’m more than certain she went in here and got lost!” he continued, exasperated hand gesture to the… entire place.

Honestly, what was he going to do with his Yamper? She was as useless as a lump of lard.

“Sometimes, I wonder if Sumi here is a Yamper or a Munchlax. I mean, have you seen Yamper eat?” he remarked once they were out of the maze—

And still no sign of the rogue Wooloo.

“You remember the last time we met? It was also because of one of my Wooloo going rogue! She might as well be the same one you helped be corral back the last time!”

+
+ used prompt: successfully find your way through the house of mirrors.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2023 1:16:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Were all Yamper like that, or was it just Sumi? Josh never had those kinds of problems with Crash, his Boltund, even when he was still a Yamper. Then again, his Pokémon didn't seem to have the disciplinary issues Jack's did. Perhaps Jack treated his Pokémon too soft? The Gym Leader pampered his just enough to convince them to wear saddles, but when he was on them, he was a totally different person, often pushing the Pokémon to their limits in the name of shaving seconds.

"Right, you were the one with all the Wooloo," Josh replied with a fake laugh. It seemed everyone had a Pokémon species they loved so much that they had to have more than one. Josh wondered what Jack would have thought of his own attraction, seeing the five saddled Pyroar and other Pokémon prancing about a field, giving many children and young adults the chance to live the dream of being astride an apex predator.

Once they were free of the house of mirrors, Raikiri fell to all fours, his own saddle clearly exposed to natural light. Josh got on the back of the Zeraora and reached toward Jack, offering him a space on the thundercat. "Hop on. I'm sure Raikiri can track your missing Wooloo down."

{WC: 218}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 14:27:09 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
“Sumi!” he continued with the same exasperated voice once they were clear out of the maze, the Yamper shooting off like a rocket the moment she caught wind of the hotdog stand.

“Geez, I am so sorry,” he apologized as he scratched the back of his head with his hands. “I swear. I got her from someone who didn’t want the Yamper anymore, and they left in a hurry so… guess I got all the issues she brought along with her,” he continued with a sigh.

Thankfully, the… he couldn’t keep his eyes off the… he could fucking swear he’d seen that wildcat from somewhere. Unless he was mistaken…?

“You want a hotdog? ‘s the least I can offer you for the trouble,” he continued as he chased the Yamper down to aforementioned hotdog stand and ended up buying three hotdogs—two sandwiches and one on a stick.

He then offered one of the hotdog sandwiches to his companion.

+
+ used prompt: offer a carnival treat to someone else.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2023 17:05:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Raikiri was almost certainly unlike any of the Zeraora Jack had seen before. The one he received from Kyle had the unusual ability of hybrid locomotion, able to run like a feral cat, like a bipedal Pokémon, and even switch between the stances on the fly. Seeing how rambunctious the Yamper was made Josh feel blessed his Pokémon were so well-behaved. "Aslan was like that while he was a Litleo," Josh related his story to Jack, unsure whether he had seen the Pyroar before. If Jack was to visit his attraction in Mauville next week as part of the carnival, he would be finding out! "Even is a little bit to this day. Some Pokémon's minds just don't grow up with their bodies, do they?"

When offered lunch, Josh shook his head. "I'll take you up on that offer after we find your Wooloo," he deferred. "You sure you don't want a ride on Raikiri? He can cover a lot of ground really fast, and I'm sure if you give him a whiff of Wooloo scent, he'll find your Pokémon for you."

{WC: 186}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 18:01:54 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
“Sure, I’ll hang onto this for you,” he continued as he then stripped the hotdog from the stick and fed it to the ‘useless Yamper’, Sumi—who excitedly accepted the food before running around in circles.

“Oy. The zoomies, again,” he groaned as he resisted the urge to smack both his palms towards his face. At the sight of the feline, he wondered…

“Is there enough room for the both of us?” he confirmed as he took a bite from his own hotdog.

“I wouldn’t want to terribly impose.”

+
+ he’s embarrassed

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 19:22:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Being that Raikiri was about the same size as the legendary Pokémon that inspired his name, there was plenty of room for two riders on the Zeraora. "Of course there is," the Gym Leader answered. "Don't be modest! Hop on! Just be sure to hold on tight. Raikiri is really fast." That part was obvious. Even when bipedal, the species darted around like a living lightning bolt. How much faster could a quadrupedal Zeraora get, let alone one raised by a trainer focused almost exclusively on speed? Provided Jack agreed and was able to provide a scent for the wildcat to follow, they were about to find out.

With a purr that may have rattled Jack a bit more intensely than expected, the duo would be off. The various stalls and carnival rides flew past, Josh perhaps taking Jack on a carnival ride of his own mid-search. "It's as close to Raikou as I'll ever get," Josh mused aloud as he set the Zeraora's reins down, letting Raikiri sniff out the missing Wooloo.

{WC: 174}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2023 20:30:12 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
“One sec… here,” he said, pulling out a chewed-through yellow ribbon as he handed it to the wildcat to take a good sniff out of.

(Maybe it was a good thing he had all his Wooloo have some silly kind of collar / decoration, then it would be easier finding them.)

Once he was sure that the other Pokémon had gotten a good-enough sniff, he then made to get on behind the actual rider, hoping he wasn’t going to lose his lunch.

(Plus his useless Yamper had been recalled because he was sure Sumi wouldn’t be able to keep up with the insane—)

“Holy shit that’s fast!” he exclaimed.

+
+ NYOOM

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2023 2:38:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Zeraora sniffed the yellow piece of ribbon, committing the scent to memory. "Thanks. I'm sure he'll be able to track down your missing Wooloo now. Let's ride!" With a soft kick to the feline's sides, the two riders were off, going at a brisk but relatively slow pace. They were still in a public area, after all; even in a lane for Pokémon, they still had to respect speed limits! That was, until Josh rubbed his hands together, Raikiri a bit confused by the sudden, erratic, yet light pull on both his halters.

"He thinks your Wooloo is on the completely opposite side of the park. I've got a shortcut we can take - hang on tight!" While it was more distance for them to cover, the carnival's proximity to the city line meant Josh could rein his Pokémon outside city limits - and outside the confines of speed limits. Once they had left through the east exit, Josh squeezed his mount's sides more sharply. "Faster, Raikiri!"

While the acceleration was amooth, the force it put on the riders was still strong, the two being pushed back in their seats as Raikiri sped down the property line. He knew the Zeraora could get far faster, but they were already going much more so than Jack may have ever gone. He didn't want his guest to lose his lunch, would he?

Raikiri pumped the brakes close to another of the entrances, going back to a more normal speed as he stepped inside the carnival grounds. They had to briefly stop to show their wristbands to attendants before continuing their search. "Raikiri thinks your Wooloo is close by, Jack. Keep an eye out for them!"

{WC: 284}
{PC: 8}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2023 17:47:18 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
Thankfully, he was used to riding on the back of his Absol, Cordy (not that he needed to mention that) however fact of the matter was that it was still incredibly fast, even for his standards—

He wasn’t going to lose his lunch, oh no. Not today! He toughed it out until they came to a slower pace, before realizing that they were getting close to finding his wayward ovine!

“I… am going to have some words with her once we find her,” he said upon approach…

(He was considering getting them bells along with ribbons for next time.)

It wouldn’t take too long before he would actually find said troublesome Wooloo—the flash of white wool was unmistakable once they approached.

“There you are!” he exclaimed.

+
+ troublemaker SECURED

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2023 0:04:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Raikiri was incredibly fast for Josh's standards. That kind of speed was needed to search for and catch up to Lis, the Gym Leader slowing the Zeraora to a trot, then a walk, as to not scare the Wooloo any more than need be with the presence of a mythical thundercat. "Glad I could help! Try to keep a better eye on her next time."

Looking at the time, Josh noticed his own attraction was scheduled to start soon. "Sadly I think we're gonna need to cut out free-roaming short; I've got to get to my own carnival gig. I've got more Pokémon there than just Raikiri. Wanna saddle up with one of my other Pokémon? I have an entire set of Eevee-family Pokémon that are probably the biggest ones you've ever seen. Big enough to carry you." Some of them could run fast, too, especially the Jolteon and Flareon. The Mauville Leader sure had a knack for fire and electric-types, didn't he?

{WC: 166}
{PC: 9}