Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2023 8:19:32 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Tell  to get his Garchomp under control. She's spawned Dewford's entire population of Gibles, and they've ruined three pairs of pants." Howard told Tsubaki as his Claydol levitated the culprit, and shot it away like a catapult. He was going to get those geological samples from Granite Cave and look at certain murals, when Navy had given him a suggestion in the form of a guide.

That suggestion was right next to him. Howard didn't think he needed a guide, but it likely wasn't wise to say no to the person who could toss you into prison on a trumped up charge. Getting arrested wasn't ideal, given Howard couldn't afford bail. Tsubaki didn't seem like the type of person to be running around a cave for fun, but Howard didn't look like a person who worked for Team Rocket, smuggled artifacts illegally, and couldn't open his email without a guide.

People were full of secrets.

"So you're familiar with this place? How come?" Howard asked as he throttled another Gible. At this point, he was a professional. "Is Dewford so desperate for places to play that it's just more fun to wage war against the loins of a single Garchomp?" If so, it was likely for the best that Dewford didn't become a warfront for the next generation of civilians. If they were raised to fight Gibles, then they'd be unstoppable.

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
oceans of angels, oceans of stars, down by the sea is where you drown your scars
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2023 0:35:23 GMT
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","petalbasetsu"]
[attr="class","star1tsu"]
[attr="class","circleoutline1tsu"]

[attr="class","starimgtsu"]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]"Long story," she starts, watching a Gible careen across the cavern as it's thrown by her pokemon's impressive horns before she continues. [break][break]

"But the short of it is, a big battle was fought here a while ago. After everything cleared out, it was mostly left to me and a few volunteers to take care of the aftermath. I sorta appointed myself a guardian of this part of Dewford after that."[break][break]

She kneels down, watching with disinterest as her Mawile grasps another Gible. She grapples it with her jaws for a moment before it's lifted off the floor and tossed unceremoniously to the far wall of the antechamber, where it bounces to the ground motionless. [break][break]

"... Sad thing is, they love this. They'll keep coming back for a fight whenever I'm in the area, testing whether they've gotten any stronger since the last time. Sometimes I worry I'm training them to go after people. But, well... it's kinda funny, too." [break][break]

She gives a gentle smile at another Gible running at them from the dark, hissing wildly before it's stopped short by her Mawile's pseudo-fangs and pulled away.[break][break]

She lets out a sigh and rises again, beckoning 's friend to follow her. [break][break]

"You can pay them no mind. C'mon."[break][break]

[attr="class","star3tsu"]
[attr="class","petalpoketsu"]
[attr="class","rouxcredittsu"]

[newclass=.petalbasetsu]font:11px roboto;--accent:#d5bed2;[/newclass]
[newclass=.petalbasetsu]max-width: 450px; height: auto;border: 1px solid #1a1a1a; border-radius: 10px; overflow: hidden; background: #252525;
[/newclass]
[newclass=.star1tsu]border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 220px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/h2H68EQ.jpg), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu]width: 100px; height: 100px; position: relative; border-radius: 100%; object-fit: cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu]width: 350px; padding: 20px; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify; color: #eee; margin: 20px 0px 20px 0px; border-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.petalpoketsu]text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]
[newclass=.petalpoketsu img]margin-top:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.circleoutline1tsu]border-radius: 100%; width: 120px; height: 120px; background: var(--accent); opacity: 0.3; position: absolute; [/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu b]font-weight: bold; color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu i]text-decoration:italic; color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.star3tsu] border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 50px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/h2H68EQ.jpg), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rouxcredittsu]align:right; color:#AB4646; font-size:10px; text-align:right; padding:10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2023 5:45:08 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Mawiles brought out bad memories. When he was exploring Granite Cave back in the day, he had been dragged down into the bowels of the cave by a pack of the critters. He had been forced to escape by abandoning everything with saltine crackers and a mining helmet. Not a fun time.

"That's brave of you. Kids these days tend to avoid community service. Well, kids in general. I certainly did." Crumble levitated another Gible, before launching it next to Tsubaki's victim. If Team Rocket ever employed an army of Gibles against Dewford, Howard would have to consider defection.

"Sure. Lead the way." They left behind the Gible swarm to descend deeper into Granite Cave. Howard took out an electronic depth meter and flicked it. They were getting to the depth where the stone in Granite Cave got under more duress. By taking samples, they could check to see if the cave needed support to avoid more cave-ins. Someone had to protect Vortigern's brood.

"The battle fought here was a shame. So many murals were torn up and shattered, many of which were never properly archived outside century-old expedition journals. There's a lot of history we'll never be able to get from them." Howard shook his head, before glancing at Tsubaki's face. He kicked himself.

Dumbass. Have a heart. He looked away. "That was insensitive. I'm sorry. You all went through hell, and I'm rambling about rocks. That was rude." Distracting himself from his blunder, Howard checked his meter again, then the wall. "Let me grab a rock sample. Just a sec."

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
oceans of angels, oceans of stars, down by the sea is where you drown your scars
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2023 5:30:03 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]"When the community's the local wildlife I guess it's something I can tolerate," she remarks, thinking of how painful the thought of helping out people would be. [break][break]

Humans are so selfish and wasteful and vapid. At least with pokemon, you're helping out those pure of heart.[break][break]

She listens silently as she shows her guest to the antechambers where the murals begin, relics of an ancient tribe that once lived among pokemon in these very caves. They'd be rolling in their graves to find that their homes had become a warzone between humans who used pokemon as weapons.[break][break]

"No, it's fine. The rocks are important cultural relics, of a time when we didn't fight pointless wars and squander our relationships with pokemon on how brutal we can make them fight. They're important, even in this context."[break][break]

She stares at a simplistic silhouette that looks like a hand. Five months ago, she would have chalked it up to simple cavemen leaving their hand-prints behind and nothing else. Now, in the wake of the battle fought beneath their feet, it takes on a more sinister meaning. [break][break]

"I think the ancient people who lived here knew more than we give them credit for. From what little I know, apparently they lived among dragons, and loved prophecy. It's easy to look at them as simple ascetics, but..."[break][break]

She places her hand across the relief, touching the image that haunts her dreams. It's more than just a hand, she knows now. The last time she really looked at it, she thought it was a simple cave painting, but it's so much more...[break][break]

She can almost hear the heartbeat from the sea as she stands there in silence. [break][break]

[newclass=.petalbasetsu]max-width: 450px; height: auto;border: 1px solid #1a1a1a; border-radius: 10px; overflow: hidden; background: #252525;
[/newclass]
[newclass=.star1tsu]border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 220px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/h2H68EQ.jpg), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu]width: 100px; height: 100px; position: relative; border-radius: 100%; object-fit: cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu]width: 350px; padding: 20px; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify; color: #eee; margin: 20px 0px 20px 0px; border-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.circleoutline1tsu]border-radius: 100%; width: 120px; height: 120px; background: var(--accent); opacity: 0.3; position: absolute; [/newclass]
[newclass=.star3tsu] border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 50px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/h2H68EQ.jpg), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rouxcredittsu]align:right; color:#AB4646; font-size:10px; text-align:right; padding:10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2023 7:44:23 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Yes, the Draconids. The murals here are very similar in illustration to the ones at Sky Pillar. Trust me, I spent four months analyzing them." Howard shuddered as he remembered the time spent on the topic. Frankly, he'd rather fight in the Battle of Dewford than research the subject again. Faster way to die.

With several clinks against stone, Howard stood up and put the samples in his pocket. They had been extracted via scalpel and a rock hammer. With careful strikes and cuts, stone was extracted. Some of it was less durable than Howard expected. Stone rot. The cave had taken a beating. Not a good sign.

"The Draconids were a brilliant people. You're a smart kid. They understood astronomy better than we give them credit for, given they spent a lot of time looking up at their god. We use the charts they made and several of their methods for taming dragon-types even today. I bet even our loving sheriff used some techniques when taming his bloody Garchomp, even if he doesn't know it."

He was talking about the Draconids a lot, recently. They were quite the interesting group of people, and it was a shame that the group had died out. At least their god, Rayquaza, was still around.

How did that dragon feel, knowing the tribe it protected was now gone? Did it view Hoenn as its new tribe? Interesting questions.

Shoes clicked against stone as Howard stood behind Tsubaki, staring at the mural. Wordlessly, he took a photo of it for reference. Heb stared at it for a moment, before glaring at a Gible that had followed them down. It ran away back up the cave.

"People would be a lot wiser today if they learned from the past. And listened to our mothers." Howard added as an afterthought, before stepping deeper into the cave. "Were you in the battle? For Dewford?"

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 0:23:08 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]"Not smart, just perceptive," she says after a few moments. "Spent a lotta time down here the last few months, I'd have to be blind not to see what's literally written on the walls."[break][break]

She withdraws her hand from the ancient artistry, taking in his words. [break][break]

There's more there than you can surmise from these drawings alone, or hearsay from the locals. It's raw academia, someone who's actually studied these things instead of just looking at them and guessing, or passing along common sense. She envies it a bit. It makes her sad, too. His words don't do the mystery of their construction justice. They're just a dry recitation of facts.[break][break]

Still, she listens until he's satisfied.[break][break]

"You're a nerd through and through, you know?" She responds, a barb filled with venom for taking something so interesting and making it so boring. Still, it was preferable to his follow-up question.[break][break]

"But... yeah."[break][break]

Tsubaki answers, distant and far away. She stares at the hand-print on the wall for a moment, lost in thought.[break][break]

In the sudden silence, a Gible's cry can be heard from the cavern beyond the chamber they're in, the girl's Mawile keeping them from interrupting the moment.[break][break]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 0:33:27 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Yes." Howard nodded. His mouth had tightened slightly at her quip, but it was nothing he hadn't heard before. Team Rocket hardly appreciated his abilities beyond allowing them to line their own pockets. What was the jab of a kid but another insult onto the pile? "Wholeheartedly. Why spend time discovering or learning things that we as a species learned before? I'm simply efficient. That doesn't give you freedom to stuff me into a locker, though. I won't fit."

Another foolish question. Howard should've just let it go. The Battle of Dewford was something that would affect the region for decades, if not centuries. Especially with what lied below Granite Cave. The town would be rebuilt, monuments constructed to the heroes of the time, and life would resume and the war would be nothing but a fading memory in old men and women.

Yet when the ground beneath your feet rotted, there was little you could do but run.

"Forget it. Seriously. Just call me a nerd or something." Howard sighed as they continued. Whether or not he was good with people depended on the day. He was just off. Hopefully this trip would go smoothly, so Tsubaki didn't tell Navy all sorts of fun stories about Howard and his idiocy.

"Seriously. Ignore what I said." Howard scratched his chin. "I'd like to get down to the chamber at the bottom of the cave. What's the quickest route down? The less Gibles, the better."

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 1:08:09 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]She wonders silently how much this guy knows - what lies below, the events of that battle. [break][break]

The mural on the wall says a lot if you've seen the depths, but it's virtually meaningless if you've gotten most of your knowledge from a textbook.[break][break]

Ruby eyes pierce through him in the darkness as he sputters apologies, but she doesn't care about that. [break][break]

She's used to people prying where they shouldn't. Rocket, League. Everyone wants to know her past, but she can't give it to them. It's not something she's inclined to talk about, so heavy it weighs on her present. [break][break]

Can't they see just by looking at her? She carries her past with her wherever she goes.[break][break]

"The very bottom, huh?"[break][break]

The very bottom leads straight to the sea.[break][break]

No, he doesn't want that, even if he says he does. [break][break]

"Sure. I've been there plenty of times. I can get you there in no time."[break][break]

She turns, ready to leave the chamber they're in, before she stops at the entrance and turns back to face him. There's a dangerous look on her face as she does.[break][break]

"... If you wanna know what happened, Eternatus happened. Everyone was driven mad by the sea. They fought allies just as much as enemies, and tore this place to shreds. They weren't human. They were like animals. You'll see it more as we go deeper - the results of that battle. It gets worse the deeper you go, cause that chamber at the bottom of the cave... is where the deep sea begins."[break][break]

Without another word, without waiting for him, she sets along the path towards the depths. A guide, ferrying the unfortunate to the end.[break][break]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 1:22:13 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
What did he say to that? 'I know' didn't seem fair, given he was the one who pried. It was simply in Howard's nature. He pried because it was his job to explore the past and glean knowledge to provide an accurate portfolio of the world, past and present.

After asking someone to relieve hell, how could Howard ask them to describe it, only to then reply with the verbal equivalent of a cudgel to the knees? He already knew everything that Tsubaki had suffered from. He knew what was in the depths. He had seen the monsters that lurked in the dark. He had seen the monsters they helped create. He and Navy had gone down there to save a trinket from behind lost forever.

He couldn't say anything about the hundreds of people who had been locked in that ship to die. Nor could he mention the paper on Dewford that he was writing to shed light on the island's past and conditions. In a rare moment of Howard Slayte's life, he couldn't simply bestow more knowledge onto people. It was simply best to remain quiet. Leave the people of Dewford to their demons.

And this girl was simply one of the many who had suffered in the battle. The wheel of history was always turning. There would always be those like Tsubaki who fought in battles to protect their homes, only to suffer the grim recollections of what had happened. Those memories? They'd never get better. They'd always claw at the back of the mind.

They certainly clawed at the back of Howard's. So he faced her angry expression with one of weariness and familiarity.

"Let's go."" Howard nodded to her, his face think and gaunt, before quietly muttering to himself. "History is a wheel. Unet gri joregnu." A swear in a language long dead.

It didn't take long for the cave to begin morphing under the duress of what lie below. Howard took samples of the mutated stone as they descended.

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 2:08:52 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]Tsubaki silently runs her fingers along the cavern walls as she descends. As she does, the rock begins to feel more like flesh, as if the walls of the cave themselves were being twisted, transformed into a part of the sea. The void below, not content to merely lie in wait, was coming to meet them. [break][break]

A light wind blows through the cavern like a breath. On it, their names are spoken, as if they are being beckoned into the deep.[break][break]

"The prophecy the ancient tribe depicted with that hand... was it from the ancient past, something already fulfilled? Was it telling of the future, of these very events? Or was it of a future further still from the present day? What's the difference, between a prophecy long gone and one yet to arrive? One sure to happen as to be spoken of in past tense?"[break][break]

She doesn't particularly understand the academic view her guest has on the matter, but what she does feel is a fervor for whatever magic goes on here, a turning of space-time, a transit between dimensions. She is no stranger to traversing between dimensions, slipping between this world and the next.[break][break]

"History could be said to be a patchwork of the future. We're doomed to repeat our mistakes that we don't take account of, but by history's very nature, it's bound to be lost. Does that mean this is fated to happen again and again?"[break][break]

She reaches her hand out, fingers outstretched. In the dark, it's reminiscent of that hand painted on the wall in the mural above.[break][break]

"... Just musing."[break][break]

She catches Howard's eye and slides her hand back into her jacket pocket sheepishly, realizing she's probably acting weird. It's not often that she has to care about that these days. Usually, time in the caves and mountains of Dewford are solitary, with only her Pokemon for comfort. Even on cases with Navy, most days she's called to help out with a case are under the cover of night.[break][break]

"Anyway, here's the last room. Knock yourself out, I guess."[break][break]

Magenta light from the rift in the room beyond is enough to light their way. Though it's not visible from here, the entrance to the deep sea lies right there, its siren calls growing stronger by the moment. It fills everyone who sees it with an odd sense of fear, but the girl seems entirely indifferent to it, as if she's been here hundreds of times.[break][break]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2023 8:21:29 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"If it's lost, that's fine. I'll simply find it again. In a way, I'm a detective, too." Illyn smiled grimly as he followed Tsubaki into the bowels of the cave. Her logic was one that Illyn found intriguing, but not acceptable. It was too pessimistic for his tastes. If you went about your work with such a lack of passion and apathy, you would never enjoy anything.

Yet he worked for Team Rocket to fuel his passion for the craft. Was he one to talk? Was anyone? Who could dictate their will on another, no matter how qualified?

No, it was simply best to have some modicum of hope. Even as that hope was choked by ropes that dragged behind Howard as he marched forward.

"We will never lose our past again. If I die, someone else will take my wisdom and pass it on. I know over seventy languages. Most of those are no longer spoken, but I've used them to keep certain tomes from going extinct." Languages were born out of necessity, not desire. It was why, in all languages but Kalosan, the word empêchement did not exist. A word designed as a justifiable excuse for not wanting to interact. This was something only a region of a developed social climate could conceive.

To communicate was the lifeblood of the world. History was no patchwork of the future, but language was a patchwork of the past.

"Hm... Howard frowns under the pressure of the rift, even though he doesn't see it. His nerves were made of bubble wrap, after all, and they were going pop! The murals on the wall are magnificent, but something else catches the archaeologist's attention.

"Huh." He tapped the wall he was facing, frowning at it.

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 4:11:21 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]"You're the lynchpin of the future, huh?"[break][break]

She puts her hand on her hip and looks him over. There's nothing special about him outwardly, but imagining he's got all that stuck in his head makes her take a second look. [break][break]

If he were to die tomorrow, where would all those languages go? Where would his knowledge lead without him? He says he's already kept the past alive, but he's ventured all the way to the gates of hell and put that all at jeopardy just to see a few ancient paintings. [break][break]

He's needlessly putting all that at risk.[break][break]

"Well, soak it in, genius. There's nothing down here but a few drawings. The bulk of the murals are further up."[break][break]

She says it, rather dismissive. But for as many times as she's passed by here, she's always been focused on the rift, never giving a second glance to the paintings on the wall. They're rather impressive, she has to admit, despite characterizing them as 'a couple drawings'. A full-wall relief of two canines catches her eye and she stares at it intently for a moment, til Howard starts humming.[break][break]

"Anything interesting?"[break][break]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 8:07:26 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"No, no. That's all the other people who control living parts of history. I'm just a scholar with a fascination for things people don't care about anymore." Howard said as he tapped the wall again. Tsubaki was right, in a way. Howard had written several papers, but not everything he had ever learned was written down. He was contradicting his own logic.

When he was younger, Howard had considered writing a lexicon of every language he had ever learned, preserving his knowledge for epochs after his death. It had been his goal, before Team Rocket had sucked him in. All that potential, redirected towards making money. It'd be sad if it wasn't so common.

He kicked the wall again.

"This wall isn't uniform with the rest of the cave. It's slight, but this wasn't formed by a natural cave formation. I thought it'd be a result of Ultra Deep Sea eating away at it, but why this wall specifically? Plus, it sounds hollow. Actually, it smells hollow."

If Tsubaki took a sniff, it would not smell hollow. It'd smell live cave. Cave marinating in the souls of the damned and Nihilego venom, but cave nonetheless. Something was off. Taking his chisel and mallet, Howard attempted to tap away at the wall, only for it to quickly crumble into dust. "Strange. Collapsed in on itself? Possible... Maybe a mix of collapsing walls and Deep Sea distortion?" Howard groaned and crossed his arms. "I hate dimensional distortions! They make everything fucky!"

Truer words had never been spoken.

"I'm tearing down the wall. Let's back up, Miss Guide."

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
awards
993 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2023 0:29:31 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu"]"Tearing it down?"[break][break]

She's quizzical at first. She thought preservation was an archaeologist's first instinct. That said... this is more her style. She grins and takes a step forward, contrary to his words. [break][break]

"Lemme help! If it's excavation you want... you know what to do, don't you, Suzu?"[break][break]

She points to the wall excitedly. There's no need to communicate anything else. [break][break]

Her Mawile lunges toward the wall, horns outstretched like a giant mouth, ready to tear rock and debris free. It isn't subtle or delicate like you'd expect from an archaeologist, but the spirit is there, and undeniable - the spirit to tear stuff out of a wall and likely sell whatever's left. [break][break]

Not that there's likely to be much, with those giant horns of hers.[break][break]

[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
The Gentle Giant [M]
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2023 22:16:04 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Ack! Wait, wait! You need to be delicate about it! You could ruin a priceless treasure, or bring the cave down, or—" Howard's protests were lost as Suzuran tore into the wall with reckless abandon. Much like her trainer, the Mawile was much more interested in tearing things up than crying over spilled milk.

They certainly tried, bless their hearts. That didn't mean Howard wasn't going to suffer a stroke as the wall suddenly collapsed into dust. Not just the part being dug away, but sections above it as well. The whole subsection of the cavern gave way, leading to a massive clowd of debris erupting into the air, and the echoing sound of rubble throughout Granite Cave.

Hopefully that didn't alert any aliens to their location. Howard stared at Tsubaki flatly as the sound continued to echo. Then, he turned back to the wall.

A massive automaton was embedded in the wall, clearly out of power. It was dormant, without a single light. At first glance, Howard thought it was a statue, given how well its color meshed with the cave wall. But it clearly wasn't. It was something more. "Arceus above... Miss Guide?"

The two had just uncovered a Shiny Golurk. It was a large one, too.

"Step back. Seriously." Howard's tone was stiff, yet awestruck. "Don't touch it. Let me see."