5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2023 1:08:55 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Even with the added speed, Josh wasn't closing the gap as quickly as he would have liked. "Faster, Hylda! Faster!" With the ice beneath them, the Glastrier could use her weight to skate across the slick surface, kicking up cold shards with every turn. It was not fast enough, though; by the time the sound of clopping hooves made Josh aware of what hidden passage the Composed had gone through, a wall of mist making it almost impossible to see.

The rider went flying into the guard protecting him from being speared upon his mount's icy mane. The angle of impact with a nearby frozen wall knocked the Gym Leader to one side, the ground's cold piercing through his layers as he struggled to get to his feet on the slippery surface. "LARS!" he shouted, desperately trying to get the Ranger's attention. "LAAAAAAARS!" With the growing distance between him and the Composed, he wasn't sure if he could even be heard...

{WC: 161}
{PC: 8}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Hylda         Glastrier      Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2023 7:04:55 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

While he continued to amble downwards towards where the apex of the problem awaited, he was not aware that the other had overshot the turn he’d taken—only the faint, distant yelling from somewhere alerted him that he was no longer accompanied by his companion—

“Oh, shit, are you kidding me?!” he exclaimed, quickly pulling on his own Glastrier’s reins to make the frozen equine stop, before immediately dismounting and hitting the frozen ground running, so to speak.

“Wait for me here. I’ll be back, okay?!” he continued as he pat his equine’s neck before making the mad dash back up the passageway and hopefully not returning to a disaster…

“Are you alright?!” he bellowed the moment he’d emerged from the mist, wildly looking around.

“Kid, where are you?!”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2023 4:24:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With Hylda's speed, Lars wouldn't have to run for long before the two met in the middle. The equine grew icicles on the bottoms of her hooves to come to a quick stop, rearing and making Josh happy there was a guard on her saddle to keep him from being speared by the back of her mane. "Hylda might be the fastest Glastrier in Hoenn, but I don't know this place like you do!" he pleaded, trying to convince Lars to keep a swift pace, but one he could keep up with.

Josh, the Master of Faster, not wanting to go at breakneck speeds? What was this?

Once all was settled, Hylda would closely trail Lars and Hengroen to the uncharted depths of the ice prison beneath Shoal Cave...

{WC: 129}
{PC: 9}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 2, 2023 18:30:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

By some miracle, the kid hadn’t been bucked from the Glastrier’s back—that icicle-spiked mane would’ve hurt like fuck.

“There you are! Geez, I thought you were bucked off your equine’s back…” he remarked, never mind if there was smoke coming out with his every breath. He didn’t feel the cold too much, after all.

“Come on, let’s go down this way.”

He then took the other down, leading the other Glastrier to where his own was waiting, pawing around and trying to nibble away at a stalagmite before he eventually approached and slid on Hengroen’s back.

“Try not to go too fast, now,” he added as he led the way further, deeper into the underbelly, towards the lowest level of Shoal Cave.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 5:22:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh hadn't bonded with Hylda for terribly long. If he was being honest, it had been just long enough for him to exert as close as he was going to get to full control over the shard of the legendary horse. The cold was starting to get to the Mauville Leader, too. He had been fairly deep in the cave before, but nothing like this. They were below the ice prison level, in an area he had no idea existed. The cold was numbing; frost started to form on the Leader's nose.

"L-l-l-lead the way," Josh answered with a shiver. "Hyl-d-d-d-da, k-k-k-keep pace with Lars-s-s-s-s." There was little wonder Articuno was so deep in the cave; was it true that only Avatars of ice Patrons could survive for long periods at such depths?

{WC: 133}
{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 8:01:37 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Unlike the other, he wasn’t too bothered with the frigid air that existed down in these parts—though, to be honest they were taking the other route towards the ‘cavern’ where he knew the sulking one was hiding.

The other would ride on in silence; but not before Lars would pull up beside the other Glastrier and then suddenly drop his overcoat on the kid’s shoulders to provide an extra layer of protection.

“Geez, you’re fucking freezing, look at your nose,” he remarked quietly, flicking the icicles away.

There was still a connection between the two, because Lars didn’t look bothered in the slightest when it came to the biting cold that settled around this part of Shoal Cave.

“Try not to die on me, kid, the incident report’s not going to look good either way on our records…” before he finally shimmied off his Glastrier’s back and let them run loose.

For not too far ahead of them, loomed a wall of thick, impenetrable ice… blocking any further access forward.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 21:02:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Slipping into Lars' Overcoat, Josh thanked Lars for taking care of him in an environment he could not withstand alone. It was so cold that his fire Pokémon would have to take turns keeping Josh warm; even they would freeze in such an inhospitable environment.

Josh gasped at the iced-over tunnel. It looked almost exactly like the one from Shalin's route on that phone game that was once all the rage. Little did he know how occupied it would keep him after the injuries he would suffer in Dewford. "Why does this look all too... familiar?" he asked, the words out of his mouth nearby visible in his breath that crawled through the frigid air. Who would have known that one of the coldest places on the planet was beneath the tropics?

{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 19:14:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment Hengroen run off and left them staring at the wall, he looked over at his companion for the day.

“What… what do you mean by that? Have—have you physically been down here before today?” he backtracked, wondering what made the other say that.

He then approached the solid wall of ice, before placing one of his hands on it and sighing—there was still no answer in the back of his mind.

“You. You know how I have the anomaly of a legendary companion, right? The only one who’s known to be actually talking to their human companion every single chance they get, remember that?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2023 5:03:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Remember that phone game?" Josh quickly answered, the overcoat working wonders at keeping him warm in the subzero environment. "When I was at the airport, I played Shalin's route. Its third level looked just like this." The level of detail and the level of truth between what Macro Cosmos came up with and what was in front of him was unreal.

"Vaguely," the Gym Leader answered. "I didn't hear them at all when we raced one another. Something's really wrong with them, isn't it?" That brought another thought to the forefront of Josh's mind. "Legendary Pokémon truly do operate by different rules, don't they? Perhaps that's yet another reason it might be a good idea that I put my pursuit of Raikou on the backburner after all..." At least until he had another solid idea. The gods very much operated on their own timetable, with almost all of them outliving humans. He wondered how old Raikou was. According to what he remembered from his childhood, Ho-oh and her Beasts were centuries old, but there was no way to know how much of it was truth and how much was tale.

Hylda lowered her head, preparing to ICICLE CRASH into the ice wall, but Josh pulled back on her sharply to get her to stop. "They're beyond that tunnel, aren't they?"

{WC: 221}
{PC: 12}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2023 18:02:31 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Oh, god.

That phone game.

The moment the other discussed it briefly, he had to repress a shudder because he knew exactly what the other meant.

“Pulled for breach of privacy and distributing user data without permission,” he continued quietly as he watched the other Glastrier get ready to strike the wall of solid ice.

“I wouldn’t have them do that if I were you,” he warned the other while eyeing the other frozen equine suspiciously. “Most legendaries are quick to anger, but you have no idea how hairline their temper is.”

He then tilted his head towards the ice wall.

“You’d be wise to do that. Each and every legendary Pokémon is… temperamental, to say the least,” he nodded in agreement.

“And yes, they’re beyond here. Though I have no idea if they’re in stasis or something.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 2:39:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Though it had been pulled, Josh kept the app on his phone, and there were still private servers to play on. He didn't play as often as he used to, but it was nice to have when he was at an airport or otherwise in a long line. It was addicting, to say the least.

"Wait, Glastrier is a legendary Pokémon? A god?" he asked Lars, Hylda whinnying and shaking her head. "I thought they were just really rare. Yours and mine aren't the only two I've seen before." If what Lars said was true, Josh wasn't treating Hylda with enough respect. He truly believed that shards of the gods, at their core, were no different than normal Pokémon. They were just rare. The more and more Avatarships he witnessed, Josh saw fewer symbiotic relationships between Patron and Avatar. Lugia, then Wo-Chien, and now, Articuno.

"If the cost of Avatarship is to largely give up my freedom as a human being, I wouldn't want to do it." With no one around, Josh could speak his mind to Lars. "The whole reason I wanted to be an Avatar from the beginning was never about divine power, recognition, or getting on AQUA to begin with." The Gym Leader wiped his face before his tears froze.

"I just want to have a Raikou at my side. Not the Raikou. A Raikou."

{WC: 230}
{PC: 13}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 12:28:13 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I’m not sure if you can count Glastrier among the legendary Pokémon, but back then there were so few people who actually owned them, they may have landed in that classification. Even though I don’t think they’re in that classification right now, all things considered…” he hummed, musing as he returned his stare at the frigid frozen wall.

And here they were again, about how the other was more than willing to throw himself into imminent danger.

“…but are you ready to always be at the beck and call of the League, if ever you become an Avatar? That’s the price if you choose to align yourself to one,” he spoke up once the other had expressed their tireless, endless enthusiasm for why they wanted a Raikou companion.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 17:38:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Perhaps Glastrier was not a god after all. Was Hylda just a rare Pokémon? Lars certainly made it seem that way. Either way, he was happy to have her at his side. Though the ice horse was not the fastest of Josh's Pokémon, the specialized training they had completed together made her among the swiftest of her kind.

Lars' worry did not go unnoticed. Josh had spent enough time talking to people on the AQUA Initiative to understand the commitment it was bonding with such a creature. "As a Gym Leader, I'm already a puppet of the League's whims. We were all hands on deck for Meteno, for Dewford One, and for Dewford Two. What's so different? It sounds like being an Avatar involves many of the same responsibilities I'm already performing. The League hasn't been on my ass since... what's it been, a year now? They must think I'm doing a good job."

{PC: 14}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 18:09:58 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“There’s a difference, kid,” he continued quietly as he reached for one of the combat knives he carried, sheathed in the leg of his pants before pulling it out and spinning it nonchalantly.

“Being a Gym Leader, sometimes, doesn’t mean you get all the news from the higher-ups. It’s like… filtered down. If there are any Gym Leaders in AQUA right now, well at least they’re getting the inside scoop before everyone else who are Gym Leaders knows what’s going on.”

And then, there it was again. He decided to let the silence settle a few minutes before he spoke up again.

“There’s a difference, Josh.”

He then looked at his reflection in the knife blade quietly, contemplating what he wanted to say to the other.

“When you’re a part of AQUA, like I am, you’re at the beck and call of everything the higher-ups want us to do. Front lines… it’s not for everyone, yet here I am.”

Because did he have any choice in the matter at this point?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,989 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 20:44:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Gym Leader got advance news of the Meteno operation. Just what did the League feel they needed to hide from Gym Leaders, those responsible for running Hoenn's largest cities? The knife in 's hand made Josh's heart rate spike a little. What was he doing with it?

"But I've been on the front lines for every warfront since I've been here. Not mandated to do so, but like I've said, they put so much pressure on me to enlist. Of course, by virtue of being a Gym Leader, combat comes naturally to me. Aren't Gym Leaders already at the League's whims?"

{PC: 15}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights