awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2023 21:47:13 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He’d already advised the younger man to bundle up for their trip to the Shoal Cave, because holy shit on a stick he was running out of options on how to deal with the little ‘problem’ that he had with his legendary patron.

(He had pretty much bashed his head on the nearest wall one time just trying to think of what he could do!)

Was he cursed? He had no idea.

Idly wondering where the other man was, he pulled out his phone and sent the other a message.

‘Where are you?’

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 17, 2023 2:11:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
By the time Lars received Josh's message, the Mauville Gym Leader was already visible, a white comet of ice to the south a sign of his arrival at the tundra-like beaches outside Shoal Cave. Charging toward him at an acute angle was a Glastrier, a bundled-up Josh at the ice horse's reins. The legendary species was not known for speed, yet Hylda's gallop was far faster than a Glastrier had the right to run. Though his power wasn't divine, it was clear now that Josh had an uncanny ability to draw out every bit of speed a Pokémon was capable of, and then some.

Yanking back on Hilda's reins as she transitioned from sea to beach, the equine reared, mist and snow flying from her before she at last calmed down. "Hylda and I got here as fast as we could," Josh huffed, the rider looking worse for wear than the mount. It seemed Hylda, like many Glastrier, had seemingly boundless wells of stamina.

{WC: 165}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Hylda         Glastrier      Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2023 6:23:02 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“While making a complete show of it, too,” he cackled as the other came riding into view—and he had to bite back a cringe at the sight of the other bundled up despite the hot Hoennian weather.

So far, he was the only one he knew of that could ride a Glastrier with no protection… well, at least until the little problem had started last year. Shit, had it already been that long since the Meteno incident? Damn.

He then had to do a double-take.

“Wait. Wait, hold the fuck up, did you ride your Glastrier across the water?” he exclaimed as he had to blink his eyes a few times.

Truly, the little Josh was number one when it came to physics-melting shenanigans.

(Sometimes he idly wondered if the snarky one had cursed him by ‘leaving’ him out in the lurch like this because of what happened last year…)

“Come on. Let’s go. My Glastrier is waiting inside Shoal Cave.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 7:31:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was not number one when it came to physics-melting nonsense; that was . It still bewildered him how she could sit on her Kommo-o with his scales rattling at full power. Shouldn't vibration that powerful reduce her to mush? He was close, though; with the young Leader's love of going fast, he did hop on some crazy Pokémon no one else would dare to.

"There's something unusual about that, Lars?" Josh asked in pure innocence. "Hylda's hooves are so cold that she flash-freezes water underneath her and just gallops across the ice!" The young lad relieved pressure on the cold equine's sides, slowing her to a trot as they entered the spacious, cold environment that was Shoal Cave. "If 's route on Rondez-View is to be believed, Articuno is four levels down from the entrance, right?"

{WC: 138}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 8:14:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Four?”

He let out a bark of laughter.

“Not four, their cavern’s at the very bottom of this entire place. Like. Way, way down.”

And for some reason it was always low tide whenever he came out here… or was there some mind-bending, space-warping related physics at work when it was high tide?

“Still, you’re pretty high up there with the reality-bending shenanigans. C’mon.”

Once they were inside, he whistled once, and from the distance came the sound of clattering hooves.

“I couldn’t find a place cold enough for them too, so… I let them run loose around the cave.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 8:36:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I mean, if her route is to be believed, the fourth level is way below the third," Josh recalled. He had seen the upper levels of the cave during his journey there with , and the descriptions in the phone game were strikingly similar to what little he had seen. He had played his own route once, too, everything about it strikingly reflective of his own ambitions. Just how much did Macro Cosmos know, anyway?

"Just because I survived an Extreme Speed run on dog boy's Raikou-familiar?" Josh asked half-jokingly as he entered the cave, a familiar-sounding set of clacking hooves not unlike those of his own steed echoing from the lower levels. He waved Lars toward a translucent, frozen waterfall overlooking frozen mortars beneath, a relic of a civilization lost to time. "They're in the ice prison at the very bottom of that place's dungeon, right?" Josh further questioned the Composed as he pointed toward an ice ramp leading to the first basement level.

{WC: 165}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 12:50:20 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I don’t think there’s an exact number of levels to this place. Trust me, I would know.”

In short order his own Glastrier would pull up to where they were, and without so much as further preamble he would slide onto the frozen equine’s back with no protection whatsoever.

Although, there was a bit of a slight chill there, but he paid it no mind.

The moment he mentioned dog boy, though, he let out a bark of laughter.

“Who else do we call dog boy around these parts, none other than Kyle himself,” he cackled while holding the frozen reins with one hand as he led the way to the bottom.

“Either way. The time between low tide to high tide is approximately six hours or so. We should have enough to make the trip down, and get the hell back out…”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 7:24:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was true; Macro Cosmos' information on the frozen mortars beneath Shoal Cave could have been incomplete. He didn't question Lars riding Hengroen bareback; with his identity as the Composed known to the Gym Leader, he assumed his powers over the Iceborne Mirage kept him safe against the cold that otherwise required a very special saddle for a human to ride. "Though the lead on Raikou ended with him, I'm glad I at least got to experience it. Several times. I still see Kyle and get to ride his Raikou about once a season. Looking forward to battling him in the future."

So they had a six hour window to meet. "Alright, let's ride." The way down was as vivid as Josh remembered it from the phone game. Behind the bottom of the icy staircase was a slide, and beside that was a frozen guard tower. Lars wouldn't give him time to explore, though; down the slippery slide they went, the two Glastrier picking up amazing speed as they descended through tunnels to the castle level. He estimated they were three levels below the surface, seawater visible on the opposite end of a small ice arena's thick, frozen windows. "Whoa... wasn't kidding. This place is extraordinary. Feels like it's out of a video game almost."

{WC: 216}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 18:29:44 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“What, you meet like once a year or something like that?” he mused, reining up his own Glastrier and taking the lead—sadly there was no time to be leisure riding through the entire place, considering they had to chase the low tide time and they had…

If his estimate was right, less than six hours to make the trip down, yell at the ice wall, and get the fuck out of there.

He then had this thin smile on his face.

“Haven’t you wondered how there’s always a part of this cave that is frozen over and not affected by sea water despite the high tide coming and going?” he asked the other as they passed a frozen-over arena; one where his own Glastrier came to a temporary stop to sniff at the ice before whinnying quietly.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 19:43:48 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"About every three months," Josh corrected; perhaps once a season was too vague of a term. He meant a season as in the seasons of the year. Tropical regions like Hoenn, particularly far south, experienced more wet and dry seasons, rather than the traditional spring, summer, fall, and winter of Johto. "And I relish it every chance I get. There's truly nothing like riding so fast that your skin stretches over your bones." He wasn't kidding, either; Raikou's Extreme Speed was extraordinary. He believed there to be nothing faster on land.

As the two left the small arena, they passed a staircase leading upward to the observation level, seeing remnants of an explosion. It had to be a powerful one to shatter an ice wall as thick as the one they passed through. "I've wondered a lot of things about this place," Josh replied as they beheld a long, shallow, spiraling ice ramp downward. The slope was shallow enough that there was little rick of sliding out of control, but was it ever long. The other option would be jumping down the center of the chasm and landing on the cave's lowest level.

That was a long way down, though; the elevation difference from the third level to the fourth level was greater than the rest put together. "I imagine it has to be due to your god's influence, if they make their home down here, like you say." His horse looked ready to race Lars' down the path to the prison level.

{WC: 253}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 30, 2023 19:06:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Thanks for clarifying,” he mused from his own mount, who’d stopped for a bit to nibble on some stalagmites that were growing out of the ground for a few moments before they moved on.

“Oh, like what?” he asked the other. He was willing to entertain the younger man with little nibbles of information while they made the trek down to the… to the antechamber.

“That would be between them, and this one here,” he explained, rubbing a hand on the equine’s frozen body without flinching whatsoever.

“You… you know how it is with Ice-type legendaries. Always hiding away in caves and freezing everything over so they can exist without melting. It’s… it’s kind of why I also despise the summer season here a lot. Fire and ice never go too well together.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 1, 2023 4:11:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
When asked to clarify, Josh was put on the spot for a bit. Lars was one of the few people the Gym Leader truly trusted. He could share his wild speculation with the Composed and not feel uncomfortable. He was one of the first he talk to about his serious aspirations for divine power. "You know that phone game Macro Cosmos put out earlier this year? I got to play my friend's route on it. Was really addicting. It's just that... one of the paths you could go on in that game has an uncanny resemblance to this place. Ice castle, ice prison, everything." Josh winced as the Avatar toughed his icy steed's body without so much as a shiver.

"While not as familiar with them as you are, I have to be careful where I ride Hylda here," he tried to relate the care of the closest thing he had to an ice-type legendary Pokémon of his own.

As the two equines made their way through the last laps around the circular ice staircase, Josh asked a burning question. "So, is Articuno's lair through the tunnel straight ahead once we hit the bottom of the stairs? When I played my friend's route, that's where I went. Then the route ended because I died. Froze to death."

{WC: 218}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2023 7:27:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment the other mentioned the phone game that had swept the region some time ago, he cringed.

“Don’t get me started on that damned thing,” he sighed. Who knew how that damned thing had gotten personal information? Geez.

“That game was pulled off the shelves because of personal data breach… it was fucking scary, you know.”

He sighed again as they arrived at what appeared to be the lowest floor.

“Whatever that game was on, they’re wrong… this place goes deeper than this. This is just basically—” he trailed off before his own Glastrier broke out into a crazy dash!

“Yeah! This is my equine’s happy place!” he yelled from some distance ahead, now that the Glastrier was back home in a familiar part of the cave and began running around like a crazy horse.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,942 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2023 7:58:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Yes, it was pulled because of data security issues, but was it ever addicting. Josh still played it on occasion, but only while he had to wait somewhere for some reason. Most of the time, it was at an airport. "Deeper than this, even? That's really--" Suddenly, Hengroen bolted forward upon reaching the bottom of the spiral, bounding ahead of Josh by a wide enough margin that the Composed had to scream just to be heard.

"After him, Hylda! Use TRAILBLAZE!" Trailblaze was certainly an odd move for a Glastrier to know; any foliage the grass-type move created was instantly flash-frozen underhoof. It was, however, the only move a Glastrier could learn that was capable of making it run faster. It was certainly on brand for what may have been the fastest Glastrier in the world, skating on the ice to catch up to Lars.

Just how deep was he going to lead the Mauville Leader, anyway?

{WC: 157}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
the sulkfest [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2023 8:15:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Now that his own equine was back where he belonged, the Glastrier than ran unrestrained; Lars didn’t even need to direct the reins while he let the Pokémon clatter across the ice in unrestrained mirth.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” he hissed as he barely had time to pull on the reins; while his Pokémon continued to gallop without a care in the world.

“Come on, catch up!” he yelled from over his shoulder while the Glastrier was running around like a madman, relishing the freedom that they never got to enjoy with a rider on their back…

“Whoa, whoa, don’t run around in circles!” he yelped as the frozen equine continued to gallop around like an unrestrained Mudsdale, completely and totally enjoying the ride.

Not until the first Glastriper slipped off into an almost-invisible passageway did the other realize that they were alone; only the clip-clopping of hooves fading into the distance would be the key that Lars had disappeared from sight.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights