March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
An Ominous Reading [M][C/Gwendolyn]
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2023 5:20:47 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"You look really good in your new saddle, Dusk!" Shalin chirped as she, her Type: Null, and her Absol left Verdanturf Leather and Saddle. The Rustboro Captain was excited to be able to be out and about again after her skin graft procedure went well. The miracles of Pokémon healing and modern medicine enabled her body to reconstitute much of the skin that had burned away around her elbows in a little over a month. While it wouldn't look completely natural for a couple more months, she no longer had to wear a cast. She couldn't wear her Sygna Suit for a bit while her body fully recovered, not due to the protections it offered, but what it let her do. If she were to go on her Flygon's wing, she would likely vibrate the skin grafts out of place. As much as she lamented it, she couldn't have that happen.

Dusk didn't look excited at all; if anything, the Absol looked depressed as her horn glowed. She stopped at the side of the dusty road that the shop was on. "You okay, Dusk?" the Captain asked. Even the normally apathetic Type: Null's emotion showed, sensing that the dark-type was feeling blue.

{WC: 203}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Dusk          Absol          Good
Lathiel       Type: Null     Good
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2023 22:01:57 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwendolyn had been having another peaceful outing around Hoenn when she had been placed for another patrol round, this time in the forest lover's paradise, Verdanturf City. With her was her newly acquired Gabite that was out looking every which way at the new environment alongside the Goomy that was stuck inside of her jacket hood underneath the layers of orange hair.

It was pretty neat how natural the city kept its architecture and everything close by nature itself. She was busy walking along the outskirts of town before a familiar shape of green would catch her eye. And it wasn't a tree this time! Gwen squinted at the silhouette standing on the road with some Pokemon beside them before she recognized the shape and hurried over.

"C-Captain Nariya!" Gwen stood at attention and saluted Shalin. There had been a lot of discussion around the ranger boards about her. She was the wild card of wild cards. A superior in the upper echelons that was well known for her bizarre and rather obtuse methods of thrill-seeking work. Gwen was a little luck to have run into her here.

If there was one person who could break her out of her shell, it was Shalin.

"I saw you parked on the road." Her eyes went to the Absol currently looking gloomy as its horn was emitting a faint glow. "I-Is everything okay?"

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 18:06:35 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Still recovering from her injuries in Dewford, the girl was slowly easing herself back into being atop Pokémon that were more and more challenging. An Absol would be on the rougher side for most, their powerful, cat-like strides and flexing backs making the tailbones of less adept riders ache. Shalin had one strong spine, and it was uninhibited by the wounds she suffered. She would later have to go back to Dewford to have her bandages removed, but she was well enough to resume her Ranger duties for now.

"It's okay!" Shalin insisted, throwing her hands into the air and inadvertently exposing some of the bandages covering her wounds. "Shalin's good!" Her long, green hair blew about in the wind as Dusk's horn grew brighter. She, too, frowned when asked if everything was alright. "It's Dusk here. Yesterday, he was excited for today - to get fitted so I could ride him. Absol make for great mounts, y'know?" She wasn't kidding, either; those long and sharp claws made them tremendously agile, able to about face when with such a burden on their backs. "And just now, his horn started glowing, like he's using FUTURE SIGHT. I wonder what he's seeing...?"

In the meantime, Lathiel approached Gwen slowly, stretching to get used to moving around in her new saddle. The Type: Null may have looked even more frightening in one. Who would willingly ride such a violent Pokémon?

{WC: 238}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2023 20:31:06 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Everything was okay? Pretty safe to say that wasn't the case judging by the bandaging and such. Gwendolyn shot her a look as if to ask why wasn't she spending time resting properly but never did. "O-Okay, Cap...Uh, Shalin." The captain's hair had caught the trainee's eyes. The fierce, unapologetic color had made her feel a bit more plain. She had to keep herself from staring at it for a bit while she explained her reason for being here.

"Wait, riding Pokemon?" Gwen asked, looking down at the Absol in question as his horn continued to glow. The concept had not eluded Gwen entirely, but she had never really seen something like that back home. Then again, she always stayed put in her room. The saddle on top of the recovering Absol did look comfortable to sit on but she couldn't help but wonder how the Pokemon felt about it. "Do they...like it? I know something as big as a Mamoswine would be easy to ride, but can Absol really carry you?"

While she stayed put, something approached her out of the corner of her eye. A strange being that met her gaze. Gwen took a moment to register what had come closer. It caused her to yelp in surprise and bounce back a couple of steps. The Goomy with her had slithered out and was currently stuck to her shoulder now, wiggling its antennae at the Type: Null.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2023 5:45:06 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"He can!" Shalin was quick to answer. Unlike the average Absol, Dusk was about as tall as she was. Even just a little taller if Gwen observed carefully. He wasn't as large as an equine Pokémon commonly used for travel, but he was more than tall enough so that her legs wouldn't drag on the ground. "It's one of the ways to truly bond with your Pokémon, especially if they love to run. It takes a lot of mutual trust - not only do you have to trust your Pokémon to follow your commands, but your Pokémon has to trust in your balance. Trust that you'll lean and move with it."

Lathiel did not so much as flinch when Gwen shrieked upon realizing she was in the presence of the chimeric Pokémon. "Oh, that's Lathiel," she introduced the unusual partner. "She's not the most sociable Pokémon, but she'll mind her manners around others now." The Captain paused and covered her mouth. "Oh, I'm sorry - I forgot to ask for your name! It seems I need no introduction."

While the two were making small talk, Dusk's face grew more focused, his horn glowing brighter as time went on. His entire body glowed the same purple as his horn, but the light was much more dim. His trainer could feel psychic energy pounding at her mind, and perhaps Gwen would, too.

{WC: 234}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2023 23:56:15 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwendolyn hadn't really given the idea much thought. There was a sort of science to bonding with one's Pokemon to become closer than ever. She did wonder exactly what it would be like to race so fast, going as fast as some of the fastest Pokemon could go. But it was still a lot for her to handle. But it would be a good way to make her get out of the lab so often. "That sounds fun, actually. Where could I learn more about this?" she asked before being interrupted.

Shalin introduced her other Pokemon besides the ailing Absol. Gwen looked at her and couldn't help but feel threatened. This thing was hella scary, as Robin would put it. Thankfully it was only looking at her and not doing much else. It was pushed out of her mind as she turned back to Shalin.

"I'm Gwen, one of the new ranger trainees. I joined with my friend, Robin, a couple of months ago."

Just as she answered, but stopping as something would be making her feel a sudden pressure around them. Her eyes went back to the Absol, though unsure of what it had been doing. "Sorry, is Dusk okay? Just...something is bugging me about it."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 20:51:17 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"Mauville City," was Shalin's quick answer as the anguish on Dusk's face grew. "The Gym Leader there runs a riding academy out of the place. He's the best in Hoenn, and the tuition's reasonable."

Shortly after Gwen asked about Dusk, a splitting headache would overcome Shalin, the pupils of her eyes wide open as though she was in a trance. It came with a vision so violent that she wantd to scream. If she wasn't near a busy street, she would have. Instead, she collapsed and held her head in her hands.

"Dusk foresaw something... awful..." she slowly managed as the horn-blade turned back to its normal color. "He foresaw a natural disaster in which one my closest Pokémon will die." She didn't need to say it, but that was why Dusk was depressed. "I... can we hed north of town into the fields? I need to blow off some steam."

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 8:11:35 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Gwendolyn was fortunate to be spared a little bit of the psychic pain that Shalin had received. Her eyes widened in surprise while Gwendolyn watched her in confusion. "Er, Shalin? Are you alright? Shalin?..." She didn't react to any of her comments or even her hand shaking her shoulder. The ranger trainee looked concerned and debated on calling for help over the radio.

"Shalin! H-Hey! Are you alright?"

She then quickly collapsed to her knees in a heap of negative emotion. Gwen knelt down and tried to comfort her during the episode. Dusk's horn stopped glowing and was given a moment of rest from the dark visions it had been suffering from. "It's alright. Just rest for a bit." Shalin filled Gwen in on what she saw. It was a terrible thing to see, especially somebody so close.

She did recover pretty quickly and ask to go riding. A request that she did feel a little conflicted about allowing.

"I...don't know. Do you feel up for it?" She asked Shalin. "We should be careful at least, No running too fast. Your mind just took a pretty hard hit."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 12, 2023 20:14:37 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin was not quick to respond at first, Dusk's FUTURE SIGHT hitting her full force with tragic news. The prophecy was vague, as well; it didn't specify the disaster in which her Pokémon would die, nor did it specify which Pokémon of hers would die. It only revealed that she would be cruelly separated from one of her closest Pokémon.

With Gwen requesting Shalin hop on nothing too fast for her own safety, she clicked a Poké Ball open, from within a Houndoom emerging and loosing a loud howl. Grimmie ran a circle around Shalin before sliding to a stop and crouching to let her on. She grabbed onto the white steering horns, ready to flood out her negative motions with adrenaline and the outward display of her bond with the Pokémon she captured long ago by riding while still wild. "You have a Pokémon of your own, Gwen?" she asked, her voice at last starting to perk up.

{WC: 164}
{PC: 5}

Grimmie       Houndoom       Good
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 13, 2023 5:51:15 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

At least the rumors were true. You couldn't really keep Shalin down and off of a pokemon without a pair of handcuffs and gourney straps. Gwendolyn did recognize and appreciated her unwaivering determination to remain wild and free as she was, but seriously! She just experienced something that would take full on HOURS to recover from. Her mouth opened scold her, but thought better of it.

She called out a large Houndoom to the field, which began to run circle around the two of them before then coming to a stop near the green haired speedster herself. Shalin asked if she had a pokemon of her own, to which Gwen shookd her head.

"I do, but nothing that's rideable." Gwen said with a pout. "Radar's still a Noibat and with a little trainings, I'm hoping he can be a speed demon of a Noivern! That's a long ways ahead though..."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2023 17:53:53 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The mention of a Noibat made Shalin's face turn somber. It reminded her of Piccolo, her sweet, sweet Noivern that had been slain by 's Alolan deity. She didn't cry, but it was clear the mention of the species evoked internal sadness from within her. The dragon's life was yet another claimed by the ravages of war.

Perking back up in less than a minute, Shalin clicked the switch on her Pyroar's Poké Ball, a male that was roughly Grimmie's size appearing in a flash of red and white light. A refreshing wave of heat flowed outward from the brave, saddled lion. "You're welcome to hop on Scar if you want!" Shalin replied, the tall lion crouching if Gwen needed help. "He's a good boy. Great runner, too."

{PC: 6}

Scar          Pyroar         Good
close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2023 2:15:26 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

the sudden mention of Radar had caused some kind of effect on Shalin. Gwendolyn watched her expression go into one that was oddly so not hers. It was a little concerning and made her feel as if she had just insulted the woman. Did she have a bad experienced with a Noibat or something? "S-Sorry..." She apologized and hope it wouldn't create a rift between them.

Fortunately, she got over it soon after! To solve Gwen's lack of a pokemon she could ride, Shalin offered her one of her own. It came in the form of a male Pyroar whose mane radiated a strong heat source from its hair. Could she really do this? Riding a Pokemon as if it was nothing? Gwen had some hang ups given her own lanky body, but what if she got hurt?

But how would she learn to live if she didn't step out of that comfort zone?

"S-Scar. That's a good name, yeah..." She mounted the lion as slowly as she could for his own safety, or maybe it was hiding her need to slowly acclimate herself to him. Yeah, it was definitely the former. "Hoo kay...We just sit down nice and slow..."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 16, 2023 16:09:56 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The sadness seemed to be contagious, spreading to Gwen and getting an apology out of her. "It's not your fault," she reassured her. "There's no way you could have known. A Noivern of mine died in the war a couple months ago. Just reminded me of her is all."

Dusk lined up next to Scar, drawing her front paw across the grass as if to goad Scar into racing him. The big lion knew better than with a nervous-seeming guest on his back. "You're eager to get used to your new gear, aren't you Dusk?" she said with a smile before tilting her head toward Gwen. Her posture looked good.

Once Scar felt Gwen's secure hold, the lion stood up, Gwen able to see a lot farther than she could on foot. a purr from the fire-type might have rattled Gwen a little. "The freedom having a Pokémon like this gives you is amazing. Especially in a region like Hoenn where the terrain can get rough. Have you ever been on a Pokémon's back before? It's so fun and so valuable if you travel often."

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Madda

Gwen, "Gwennie"
She/Her
May 29
Twinleaf Town
Closeted Lesbian
Ranger-In-Training
Cadet
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
177 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gwendolyn
Gwendolyn Conway
POSTED ON Dec 18, 2023 4:28:16 GMT
Gwendolyn Conway Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Well damn, now she just felt bad. Gwendolyn couldn't imagine losing a Pokemon that she had grown so incredibly close to. For somebody having gone through that, Shalin appeared to be doing better than Gwen would. She couldn't imagine functioning well if somebody like her Goomy or Magneton would have been killed in battle.

Scar seemed to be cautiously optimistic about racing Dusk, who was circling around the Pyroar with Shalin continuing to be back to her usual self again. Gwen jumped once the Pyroar stood on two legs and looked about the horizon.

"I, uh...still don't know how to ride pokemon though!" she said to the other woman. "Can you give me a crash course really quick before we head out?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2023 4:05:47 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Being involved in multiple major battles, as well as the creation of Lathiel, had dulled Shalin's sensitivity to the finality of death. The day that Kiara had been slain deep in the Halls of Origin still haunted her. If Scar was the Pokémon that Dusk prophesied would die, she wouldn't know that to do. That would be the second Pyroar that died on her watch. She loved all of her Pokémon. Losing any of them would hurt. Nothing she could think of would be more devastating than the day the Hydreigon's Flamethrower, Charge Beam, and Frost Breath simultaneously struck the brave lioness, giving her life to ensure her trainer could live to see another day.

That was enough melancholy, though. It was time to teach Gwen how to saddle up, hold on, and have fun with the wind in her face. "It's really simple. If you grab the reins and pull on them in one direction, he'll turn in that direction. The harder you pull, the faster he'll turn. For speed, it's all in your legs. If you squeeze Scar's sides harder, he'll go faster. If you ease up with them, he'll slow down. That's all the basics you'll need to know!" With that, Shalin would give Gwen center stage, having Grimmie maintain pace with the much faster Pyroar... assuming the guest rider kept the lion at a reasonable pace.

{WC: 232}
{PC: 8}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights