Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Picking Up the Pieces [M]
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2023 16:58:09 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","Navypog3"]
[attr="class","Navypog3-big-img"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-1"]
[attr="class","Navypog3-title"]
MORE HUMAN[break]THAN HUMAN

[attr="class","Navypog3-tagged"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-subtitle"]
THE STORY'S TOLD IN FACTS AND LIES. THERE'S TRUTH THAT LIVES AND TRUTH THAT DIES.

[attr="class","Navypog3-pkmn"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-post"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-icon"]

The hours after the battle are a blur. Having left the forward expedition team to fight , the sheriff doesn’t know what happened down below the earth. In the coming days, he’ll learn. A man who knows much carries much sorrow. One look at an AQUA report tells him why its members are as dramatic as they tend to be.[break][break]
They sit him down in front of a light show. Cameras flash left and right. Beneath a red poncho he’s donned for the occasion, his heart is still burning. His left arm, at the moment, is non-functional between thinking he could punch ’s armor and the suicidal battle against Bryan.[break][break]
With his burning heart hidden, reporters latch onto something else. They snap photos of the cowboy sheriff in his wide-brimmed hat. That, too, he wears to conceal an injury. It creates a powerful image that will ripple across the cultural zeitgeist. He’s too busy trying to stay conscious, stay strong in front of the cameras, to care.[break][break]
Nothing to report at this time.” He vomits lies into the eager mouths of the people. “Between the council and Elite 4 member , the situation on the island is under control.” He’s been on the other side of the screen from the man he is now. He’s seen through the half-truths a government man has to tell.[break][break]
At this time, I would like to remind all concerned civilians that, if they wish to help, they do so through official channels. There’s always room for help behind the lines. Do not attempt to intervene in military battles between the League and Team Rocket. Team Rocket is an armed, dangerous terrorist group. They’re not gonna show you mercy.”[break][break]
So it goes. On and on. Endless buzzwords. Meaningless drivel. His human sentiment buried in words he has to say as Dewford’s appointed protector. Eventually, it ends. He moves backstage.[break][break]
He needs a cigar. Sinking into a wheelchair now that the cameras are gone, he rolls outside with the one good arm left to him. There’ll need to be physical therapy in the coming days.[break][break]
It’s cold, he realizes. Cold like he hasn’t felt since Galar.[break][break]
Kinda figured you’d show up.” Navy says, still wearing the hat. “Knew you’d live, Howard. How’re things on the island?

[attr="class","Navypog3-bot-1"]

notes about this post

Notes go here
[attr="class","Navypog3-bot"]

[googlefont=Poppins:700,800][googlefont=Hind:400,700][googlefont=VT323:400]
[newclass=.Navypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Navypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Navypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Navypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Navypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#d84545;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Navypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Navypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Navypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Navypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Navypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#d84545!important; }.Navypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Navypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Navypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Navypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Navypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Navypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Navypog3-post i { color:#d84545; }.Navypog3-post b { color:#d84545;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Navypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Navypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Navypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#d84545;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#d84545!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 2, 2023 19:48:06 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
War was a weary thing, and history forgot the suffering and struggles of soldiers under the weight of grand objectives and ideals.

Maybe that was why Howard Slayte looked better than the many League and Rocket soldiers. He knew when he was beat, and allowed himself to be marched over. Isaac, and Ollie could've crushed the archaeologist underfoot with nothing but a finger, but Howard had thrown himself onto the floor and allowed himself to be stepped on.

Shameful, but he was alive. A scarred backside was shameful, but life was more important than pride.

"Team Rocket is an armed, dangerous terrorist group. They’re not gonna show you mercy."

Then why had Navy shown him any? If the Gym Leader had known, would he have crushed Howard, just as the archaeologist had asked him to, back in Granite Cave? Would Michael Navidson even remember that promise? Meaningless questions. Hypothetical 'what-ifs' that led to confusion and conflict.

Howard's eye flicked to the hat atop Navy's head as the conference came to a close. Another one of history's tricks. Michael Navidson's fashion attire would draw the gaze of the populace. It might even be chronicled into the history books when they wrote about this day. Humanity's greatest virtue was latching onto a piece of information like a raft, after all.

Not that he could blame the reporters. It was a pretty nice hat. Howard let himself feel a smidge of pride. Nobody could doubt the archaeologist's taste in hatted attire.

"Hm." Howard leaves the group of reporters, following the Gym Leader backstage. "Impressive. I didn't even know if I'd find you after the battle. I thought I was dead."

Until you spoke to me. Howard thought silently, before crushing the thought. He had died on that island, but he had also lived. A vengeful spirit hellbent on chronicling the aftermath of the battle, and discerning the secrets of the island. The truth of that which lived in the belly of the ruins at its center.

Regice, a god.

"Bad, but they'll improve." Howard reached into his pocket and pulled out a box of Purple Koffing and a lighter. He removed two cigarettes, and lit them both. One for himself, one for his... friend? Enemy? Colleague? Hat-thief? Who even knew, anymore.

"You look like shit." Without his eye patch, Howard wasn't much better. An ugly scar rimmed his missing eye, and a Key Stone gleamed within. "My hat's gotten popular on the head of Sheriff Navidson. I'll have to buy you one, I suppose."

He takes a drag from the cancer stick.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 11:03:27 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

THE STORY'S TOLD IN FACTS AND LIES. THERE'S TRUTH THAT LIVES AND TRUTH THAT DIES.

A lifetime ago, someone else offered him a cigarette. He didn’t take it, even after tasting nicotine on her lips. Cigarettes lead a man to an early grave. They give you a moment of pleasure for a minute of your life later. That was a seventeen year old’s logic.[break][break]
Navy takes the cigarette. He savors the heat of the tiny cherry against his calloused joints. It feels like he’s drowning. His chest is a furnace, burning. The burning lets him know he’s really, truly still alive. So many people lost their lives for answers to questions nobody asked.[break][break]
Yeah, guess there’s a reason it’s in so many movies.” All his favorite heroes wore hats like this. Simple, plain, wide. They were usually black or white – humanity loved its absolutes. Nothing gives you a measure of a man like stark purity or black certainty.[break][break]
Heard the island ended up sinking. Dynamax.” Another inhalation. Grim reflection. Once more, he remembers the impassioned pleas to HQ. They want another weapon. They don’t care about the consequences. The other side’s going to use it anyway – may as well not fall behind in the arms race.[break][break]
Not a historian like you, Howard, but I’ll tell you somethin’ your books won’t: that shit ruined Galar. The old Galar. Galar back when the heroes were still just some shiny Lycanrocs or something. Baki’s studying economics and she told me somethin’: no such thing as a free lunch. All that power’s gotta come from somewhere.” He tells the man the worries held fast in his heart, the things he can’t tell the children he shepherds or the council he serves.[break][break]
League and Rocket…they’re gonna kill each other with that.” He coughs, exhaling smoke like a dragon. “Eternatus is getting what he wants in the end. Nobody else will see what I’m talking about, but you might.” Sitting down the cigarette, he pulls off the hat and hands it back to Howard.[break][break]
Here.” Somewhere along the way, he pinned a badge to the front. It’s his badge – the Valor Badge. His to give out as he sees fit. A privilege afforded to a rare few. Given freely to Howard for the simple fact that he survived.

notes about this post

Notes go here

[newclass=.Navypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Navypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Navypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Navypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Navypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#d84545;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Navypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Navypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Navypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Navypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Navypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#d84545!important; }.Navypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Navypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Navypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Navypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Navypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Navypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Navypog3-post i { color:#d84545; }.Navypog3-post b { color:#d84545;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Navypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Navypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Navypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#d84545;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#d84545!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 9:19:57 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"The island's sinking was a tragedy. I weep for it. I weep for the history within that was lost due to a petty, childish battle."

It was moments like this that made it clear that history books were written by the churlish, heavy hands of those who had an agenda to push, or a side to please. The League would paint this as a massive success, in which Dynamax had successfully been returned to Galar. Rocket would believe the same. Both would acknowledge the dangers of the alien power, but neither would say it aloud.

That would make the danger real.

At least, in the eyes of men.

"I wasn't at the Galar that people mention. The one out of story books, where myth and story melded together into a fantastical fairy tale. I wish I was, so I could verify it myself." It was natural for historians to rely on secondary accounts, but archaeologists take evidence that is extracted with their own two hands and determine it as their own.

"Yet I trust your account. Because I think you alone might understand the great crime of lying to the dead to placate the living."

The ship of damned passengers flashes in the missing half of Howard's vision. A drag from his cigarette floats up into the sky. They watch the smoke float away together. Both broken, incomplete. The sheriff's arm, broken to splinters. Howard's eye, gone for a cruel contract that would remain buried.

Eternatus.

Navy's enemy.

Tsubaki's god.

The entity mentioned in the ruins, related to the god Howard helped defeat.

They cannot defeat Eternatus. This is where their duality begins and ends. Michael Navidson will fight until the end, even if his opponent is a god. Howard Slayte will hide in the crevices where the gods' gaze does not fall, and he will chronicle the end of the world.

That is why the Valor Badge in his hand feels wrong. Howard Slayte had no valor. Yet even as he held it, he suspected that it wasn't entirely true. He had chased while fighting the Regice, and had found his courage, if only for a moment. How would Navy feel, knowing Howard and had fought each other to the breaking point.

"Why?" Howard had to ask it. "I'm not a strong trainer. You should give this to someone who fought alongside you."

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 9:37:07 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

’Cause I was scared shitless in my first battle, too.” There’s no shame in that admission. He remembers running like some terrified beast behind Rocket lines. Vortigern had slipped free from his ball in the confusion. People were dying. He was slipping in and out of existence, falling between the deep sea, dreams, and solid granite.[break][break]
You think I’m not scared when I fight, man? I’m a guy. I’ve got some strong Pokemon, but they only listen to me ‘cause I’m good at bluffing. There’s no god in my corner. I fuck up, and I die.” And he did. The only reason his ideals didn’t lead him to an early grave was a proverbial bet on green. Life’s great roulette wheel gave him one lucky break.[break][break]
But you fought anyway. That makes you mighty. Don’t let it go to your head, but I think that’s pretty damn valorous. Not to mention your little stunt in the swamp, according to Baki. Besides, if one of those blowhards wanted the badge so bad, I’d tell them to come to my gym and take the damn thing.” A moment’s silence. A quiet inhalation of his cigarette, followed by a puff of hot, smoky air. It makes his lungs forget the earlier burn, if for but a moment.[break][break]
Dunno which blowhard in the League’s upper brass decided to drag you into this mess, but sorry. Arceus…” What more is there to say besides that simple swear? It feels like the world is slipping bit by bit into ruin. Maybe HQ is onto something when they talk about ruination, whatever that means.[break][break]
What’ll it be next?

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 10:13:24 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The Gym Leader could never find out the truth about Howard.

That revelation would destroy everything. Navy could speak about Howard's bravery, about his willingness to fight despite his fear, about how he was 'worthy'. That would all be flushed away like the ocean lapping at Dewford's shores. It was ephemeral. It meant nothing, because it was meant for a man that Navy saw.

Was this what it was like, for people to be embellished throughout history? Did historians simply find one person more likeable than another, and had that reflect in historical accounts?

"Nobody has ever said that I'm mighty. That I'm strong." Howard stared at the badge, his reflection distorted in its gleaming surface. "Remember this, Navy. You're not alone. It may seem like it, but there will always be someone standing next to you. A lot of people in this world are chained to gods, but men? Ordinary men, who watch time tick by?"

The badge disappeared as he clenched his fist.

"We will triumph. Go and create a world with no need for gods."

He didn't reject the badge. Howard figured that he would. The archaeologist wondered how many people Navy had offered this honor to. How many were bigger men, capable of walking away from something that wasn't deserved? How many people were strong enough to correct an error in judgement? Howard would've amended this if it was a historical error, but he was willing to let this slide?

Hypocrisy.

"You're just as scared as me, but you've learned to embrace it. You've conquered it. You've tamed it, at least." Howard met the Gym Leader's eyes. The Key Stone in his socket reflected Navy's face back at him. "Is that what it means to be strong?"

Reaching out, he takes the proffered hat. He puts it back onto his head. It feels right, but it fits differently. Someone else's heart has been engraved into it.

It's no longer just Howard's treasure. It's something else entirely.

"..." Howard's eye widens as Navy apologizes. A small chuckle escapes his lips. The irony of it makes Howard want to cry. "No, don't apologize. This is a war, and I'm a nameless corpse who will be walked over. Remember what I told you in Granite Cave?"

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 19:01:33 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

No matter what, I’m gonna get you through this war.” He looks up at the historian and makes him that solemn promise. There’s something fierce in his voice, protective. Though he may be bound to a wheelchair with a limp arm, he’d jump up in a heartbeat to defend Howard. He’d let himself burned or be maimed for the man. Some might call it heroic. To Navy, it’s a selfish act. In his ideal world, there’s plenty of people like Howard. Each one is precious.[break][break]
Dunno what it means to be strong. I think about it a lot. All I know’s this: being weak’s way more beautiful.” An echo of what he said before. “Maybe you’ll find the answer. Maybe you’ll figure out how to be stronger than any of us. If you do, I hope you don’t walk that road. It’s the road Rocket wants everyone to take. A world fit for the strong, where they take what they want.”[break][break]
He plants what could be the seeds of his own destruction, born from trust. No one’s there with them. It’s just two men, having a conversation in the growing chill of evening. The stars are coming out.[break][break]
Went to a few Rocket meetings when I was a kid. Back then, they were just another gang. Another set of colors on the street. Ran a few jobs for them, like I did the other gangs, ‘cause my soul was too black for honest work. Saw what they were about. Saw I’d probably go far. They sell you on all this propaganda bullshit. It’s for the glory of Rocket. Something bigger than you. An idea.”[break][break]
Another pause. Another inhalation. In place of clean air, he tells his story in smoke.[break][break]
All bullshit. Simple truth’s this: the strong filter up. The weak follow them. The weak are their cattle. I ain’t gonna lose to that world, Howard. Not gonna let you get trampled under those blowhards. Be valorous. Fight if you gotta. Hang up your hat when you don’t. Figure out what it means to be strong, accept that it’s okay to be weak. Think of that badge like a medal. Something to show your kids. Not somethin’ to die for. That’s what idiots like me do.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 9:50:23 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The gaze of a conflicted coward meets the gaze of a warrior.

And what an ugly meeting of sight that it is. Bile rose in Howard's throat, and he pursed his lips. History favored the rule of the mighty. Warriors and kings were remembered by the populace of history, not individuals. Michael Navidson's name would pass on, an etching to history that everyone would remember. A man who had fought against insurmountable odds until his body shattered in the wind.

History would laud his name.

Howard would loathe his name, even as he commended it.

"History doesn't remember beauty. It doesn't remember weakness. Hell, it hardly remembers humanity. All it cares about is the engraving the mark of what came before. Guess what comes before, every single time? Strength. Mankind doesn't care about weak people, like me, like that daughter of yours, like all the children at your gym. We'll all be swept aside as monuments are built to the greats."

Team Rocket had never appealed to the archaeologist. He had no interest in fighting for the glory for an organization that didn't care for him. He was simply tied, enchained, trapped. He was something small, stuck to a stronger, bigger thing.

One day, it would kill him.

This man would kill him, one day.

"I'm going to battle you one day. Earn this right and true. I hope that I'll beat you, so you can be weak for a moment. In that moment of weakness, you'll be stronger than anyone."

Howard clenched the fist holding the badge tightly.

"Count on it. Promise me." His voice began to plead as his eye gleamed. "Promise me that you'll do that, and remember to look backward instead of forward."

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2023 2:39:20 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

Sure, if that’s what you want. We can have a match any time.” He makes that solemn promise too, chewing over the words Howard has said. There’s something so inexorably sad in them, a sense that the grass is always greener on the other side.[break][break]
But does it really matter if you’re remembered?” A man of action asks a record keeper. “So long as you lived a happy life, ain’t that enough? Ain’t it enough to die old, all your kids around you? Guess that life’s kinda like…” His eyes drift to a flower, growing nearby. It will soon die with the advent of true winter.[break][break]
…a flower. Even if nobody saw it, it’s still beautiful. I’d fight to keep that flower from bein’ trampled.” He motions to continue, but League officers finally find him. Corner him. Demand that he return to the command center.[break][break]
Sheriff, the commissioner’s on the line. She wants a report on—” Navy raises a hand. It silences him without a word. Breaktime’s over. Forcing himself out of the comfort of his wheelchair, he stands on wobbled legs. No one, be it beat reporter or Rocket spy, is going to see him sitting lame in that chair. Even if it hurts, he’ll keep walking. Even if his heart feels like it’s in an oven, it’ll keep beating.[break][break]
Catch you later, Howard. Get a room before the officers commandeer ‘em all.” Turning to walk away, he robs the man of the last word. Just as he’s about to turn the corner, Navy stops.[break][break]
When the tomorrow that matters comes, I just want you to enjoy it.” And with that, he’s back to work.

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,857 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2023 7:11:02 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Yes." Howard said simply. "It means everything."

The man of action lives in the present. The record keeper lives anywhere but. Howard Slayte would never get to experience the feeling of living in the now, because doing so would mean he'd have to face the future. A future that he was not strong enough to protect. Navy could laud his ideals and motives as much as he desired, but the world's greatest trick was forgetting the sins and virtues of the past.

So Howard would survive. He'd let step over him as the Beast attempted to become a dark sun. He'd let Rocket and League tear themselves apart for the sake of justice and truth—concepts that meant something different every generation. He'd let believe that redemption existed. He'd let believe that there was even a slight chance of freedom.

Because when they were all gone, who would ensure their ideals were not forgotten? Who would ensure that Navy's perspective was permanently instilled into civilization?

Howard would.

I will never live a happy life. I do not deserve one." A man who joined Rocket for petulant reasons deserved nothing but a petulant end. Howard would find that, no matter how much he ran.

I don't want our children to forget our struggles, nor do I want them to live a harder life than the one they currently live. I can do the former, but I can't do the latter. You can."

"So fight, you wonderful bastard. Fight. Fight so I can tell people about the bravery of Dewford's greatest warrior."

As Navy disappeared back into the League's clutches, Howard sighed to himself and put his hand in his pocket. He pulled out the badge and gripped it until it threatened to snap. He could preserve as much history as he desired, and he would.

...yet who would ensure that it survived to see another day?

close tab

played by

a toddler

little toot toot
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
mod
googoo gaga
spiral is my big poppa pump (positive)
600 foot tall baby height
600 foot tall baby height
sleeping in mod reqs
awards
2,363 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mod
spiral and shiv's baby
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2023 20:37:44 GMT
spiral and shiv's baby Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: