6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Round Fourteen: Josh vs. Jack [VCT]
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2024 8:34:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Having finished his match with early, Josh left his Zeraora out of his Poké Ball, cuddling the great feline after putting on such a good show. He was doing well enough that he would almost certainly be in the money soon. They still had work to do if they wanted to make the top cut. He waved to as she walked by; was she still in the main tournament, or did she get thrown into the side event for those who didn't have good enough records to continue?

After feeding Raikiri a sweet treat, the organizer would return with a routine announcement:

"Attention all Vital City Tournament participants. Pairings are up for round fourteen. Pairings are up for round fourteen."

To Josh's pleasant surprise, his opponent was not a Gym Leader or celebrity. It was . Was the man secretly a battling prodigy? He would likely get that answer when he met his opponent in their assigned arena. "Long time no see, Jack! Didn't know you were so good with Pokémon battle, too!" he complimented his opponent, the imposing electric speedster taking his place on the court.

Planning to use a Z-Move!

{WC: 190}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥♥

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 1:05:39 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
“Sheer luck got me all the way out here,” he began as he scratched the back of his head.

Truly, it was luck fueling him at this point. What even was this insanity going on anymore? He didn’t know, and his Absol didn’t care, either.

Fact of the matter was… he was out here for the experience, and that was that!

“Good luck to you!” he added, and he was much tempted to finish the rest of the sentence in the back of his head—however he realized that it would’ve been in bad taste all things considered, so he left it at that.

+
+ gimmick for this thread: terastalization

[newclass=".iggy b"] color:#e6194e;font-size:13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".iggy i"] color:#e6194e;font-size:13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".iggy a"] font-size:13px; font-family: courier new; text-transform: lowercase!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 3:01:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There were quite a few forms of luck in the tournament. Matchup luck was the biggest one of them. No matter how well-trained your Beedrill was, it was unlikely to beat a Pidgeot. Capabilities were also a factor. As Josh had taken advantage of many times in the tournament, a lot of power didn't do Pokémon much good if they couldn't hit their target. The mythical thundercat was fast enough to frustrate trainer after trainer on Day One. Day Two was a different story.

Josh also knew of the dangers of being in melee against an Absol. Those claws, and more importantly that horn-blade, could cut through even the toughest flesh. With great AGILITY, Raikiri zoomed around the court's edges, trying to get the Absol to jump after him.

zJwRVThC

{WC: 130}
{PC: 2}

Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥♥

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 6:20:27 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
And there it was, the starting bell that signified it was time for them to fight, fight, fight!

The Absol quickly eyed her opponent for the day; before deciding to size up first—with an opponent that speedy, it was best to counter them at the point where they had to recover before moving again!

How was she going to do that? Simple—

She kept her eyes trained on her opponent as she then prepared herself with a Swords Dance; in case the other came to close.

T1Csqvm6

+

[newclass=".iggy a"] font-size:13px; font-family: courier new; text-transform: lowercase!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 16:19:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Zeraora was on the fastest prowl any of Josh's Pokémon could muster. He circled the Absol faster and faster as the foe sharpened its blades. "ELECTRO BALL, Raikiri!" Josh cried, reinforcing the importance of staying as far away from the Dark-type as possible.

With how fast the big cat ran, the volley of high speed electric projectiles seemed to come from all directions. Josh couldn't imagine being on the Pokémon's back while circling like that. It would make even him dizzy!

3q6fnCHe

{PC: 3}

Raikiri       Zeraora        ♥♥

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 16:38:16 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
The crackling of electricity would give away (obviously) what typing this… this feline quadruped was…

And for some strange, inexplicable reason…

There were sparkles in Jack’s eyes. Oh, he wanted one of those… big kitties!

(Insert screaming cat face here. But, not in the crying way, but in the “I WANT IT” way.)

“Cordy! Don’t be enchanted by what they’re doing!” he yelped as she blinked and saw the incoming attack; before attempting to bat it back with a surprise Night Slash coming from her horn.

DIK7twH0
+15 for even rolls!

+

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 18:26:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Absol had skillfully weaved around Raikiri's spray of high-speed electric projectiles, blindsiding the feline with a vicious NIGHT SLASH from its claws and blade-horn. Sparks and blood sprayed from the deep cuts, the thundercat's head thumping.

Shaking his head, the rare Pokémon scowled in sync with his trainer. Josh raised his Z-GLOVE above his head, the QUICKINIUM-Z hidden beneath his partner's fur glowing a bright yellow. Awkwardly standing like he was riding a Pokémon, he sent the Zeraora all the Z-Energy he could muster.

Wreathing himself in the lightning of his HYPERSONIC PLASMA CHARGE, the dangers to the Absol would be threefold. If the force of the blindingly fast ramming attack and the line of lightning bolts trailing him did not ravage the Absol, then the explosion from the Zeraora speeding past his own sound waves would!

XRb|3dzW+50

Z-Move used this turn!

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2024 18:58:36 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
Why did this next battle feel like a—

“Are you kidding me?!” he exclaimed softly, hissing bleeding comments as he realized there was another similar burst of light to the one he’d encountered with , these flashy moves that would send whatever hit them right out of the field and into next week!

“Cordy! Brace!” he yelled as he quickly raised his hands to his eyes; the literal flash-bang of light was too much for his poor eyeballs to take as the attack exploded all around them—for a few moments even his Absol was blinded; before a last-second decision to attempt to Detect through the move would…

Would it fly…?

ahs3Z6sM
+15 for even rolls!

+
+ gimmick for this thread: terastalization [2 / 3]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 6:27:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There was no PROTECTING, DETECTING, or feinting the hypersonic ramming attack. Rather than overpowering the shield like most Z-Moves did, Josh's was special. It struck before the Pokémon could materialize the defensive measure. Pressing his advantage, the Zeraora would rear suddenly, slamming his paws into Cordy in an uppercut-like DRAIN PUNCH, trying to flip the foe onto her back. Were Raikiri to succeed, the vibration from his loud purring may have added to the Absol's discomfort.

On Josh's face was a serious look unlike anything Jack had ever seen from him. "No one goes faster than I do, Jack. No one."

xoqkeTbd

{WC: 102}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 13:15:08 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
Oop, and there she went—but no, they were still in it!

“That hurt,” he cringed as he couldn’t bear to look at the carnage that had happened.

Getting up with as much grace she could muster, the Absol hissed at the funny-looking feline; baring her hackles because wow, ouch the impact from that attack fucking hurt—

And then attempted to clobber the other upside the head with a surprise Sucker Punch!

cvDL0OTg
+15 for even rolls!

+
+ gimmick for this thread: terastalization [1 / 3]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 19:56:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There was no taking Raikiri by surprise. Zeraora was one of the fastest Pokémon species in the world, capable of competing with even gods of speed. In the hands of a trainer who specialized in raw speed, Raikiri may have been unparalleled among his entire kind. The world around him seemed to slow down as he leaped at Cordy. The slow-motion footage of the SUCKER PUNCH and QUICK ATTACK colliding would almost certainly make the thirteenth round's highlight reels.

"You hear me, Jack?! No one goes faster than me!" the Gym Leader shouted again, losing his sportsmanship in the heat of the competition. Yes, speed was his domain, but being superlative in that domain may have been a bit ambitious!

Yl5AtT2i

{WC: 121}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

jack
he / him / his
twenty-seven
october 13
Malie, Alola
blissfully unaware
shepherd & lorekeeper
civilian
remember me
for centuries
40 height
40 height
awards
415 posts
Jack Napier DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @napier
Jack Napier
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 20:02:44 GMT
Jack Napier Avatar
[attr="class","iggy"]
“Damn, man, no need to lose your chill,” he blinked from his side of the field. Heck, even his Absol was just… reeling at this point.

He took out his recently ‘renovated’ tome where a certain part sparkled and was ready to chuck it across the arena; but now was not the time. Instead, he would flip it open and start making actual notes in it.

“You know what? Getting drunk on delusions of grandeur doesn’t suit you,” he continued with this unfazed stare as he recalled his Absol who had pretty much tipped over and was considered to be ‘knocked out’ as per the rules of the match.

“Might want to cool your head a lil’ bit.”

+
+ gimmick for this thread: terastalization [0 / 3]
+ Jack claims the L

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,129 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2024 21:11:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Jack was right. Josh had been drunk on delusions of grandeur in more ways than one. Not just this tournament, but his crusade to be the Great One's Knight of Thunder. To a lesser extent, even his bid to be a Champion. What would he do with his title? What would he do with Raikou? He wanted to go faster than any other Pokémon trainer on the planet, but to what end?

"Good match - sorry about the outburst," he apologized. "I... got caught up in the heat of the moment, that's all. Want to cool off? I saw maintenance filling one of the vending machines near our arena when I came to our match. Maybe they're done filling it by now."

{WC: 122}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,032 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 4:51:59 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]VCT COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: