5,954 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
binary [josh]
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 3:36:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Amnesia... came to mind. Josh had helped the young but accomplished Ranger restore much of her memory. Perhaps he would also help Nikola restore hers. "Traveling is a great way to jostle and reconstruct memories," Josh tried to console them. It had worked for Yuina; perhaps just roaming Hoenn, seeing the sights the region would have to offer would help piece her memories back together. "You ever want to see the world outside Mauville, we can find a day to do it." It might have to be a day when he was out and about on Ranger duties, but he would make it work.

Fluffy was quite small next to Braver. He was used to Arcanine being able to comfortably seat two people. Braver could even seat three if he had to. While the riding gear on the smaller fire-type was simple, it still looked functional. In his judgment, it didn't seem appropriate if Nikola wanted to brave Fluffy's Extreme Speed. It took a special kind of person to want to do that, though; to the untrained eye, the terrain around a rider moving at such speeds would appear to be little more than a light show. There was also the incredible core strength needed to ride so fast; a land Pokémon's Extreme Speed pushed them to such a fast gallop that their four legs blurred together into an illusion.

"Is it a past you want to forget about? One you're ashamed of?" the Gym Leader asked. "If you're not comfortable talking about it, don't feel pressure to elaborate."

{PC: 7}

NOTE: All of the Pokémon in Josh's PC are present somewhere on the Gym grounds.
close tab

played by

newt

niko, nikki
they/them
august 26
mossdeep city
bisexual
data entry lackey
rising star
world.search (you)
5'7 height
5'7 height
would you kindly play with me again?
awards
79 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikola
NIKOLA CATELLUS
binary [josh]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 18:27:55 GMT
NIKOLA CATELLUS Avatar
thankfully, nikola's smart enough to know better than to attempt an extreme speed under these conditions. or... well, more like they know better now, having already tried it previously and almost immediately being unseated and flying backwards. they're still sore from that encounter, shifting gingerly in their seat. instead they lead fluffy around the track while their other pokemon play nearby. when they feel she's ready to run, they'll get off her back.

"something i'm ashamed of...?" they muse. "i don't know. i don't remember enough to know if i should be ashamed." and they don't know if it's a good idea to regain those memories. living in ignorance might be kinder; they don't know what caused their memory to fracture, after all. "the only way i can know is by remembering, and by that point it may be too late."

they rein fluffy in and hop off her back again, hoping she's got a good feel for the track now. "it's a binary choice. i can stay exactly the way i am, or i can go back to the way i was."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,954 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
binary [josh]
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 21:31:42 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Without the training Josh had, it would not be a good idea for the average trainer to push an Arcanine to full Extreme Speed. The species was well-known for their running speed, able to outrun even race cars when they put their all into it. It was one of many reasons the fire-type species was so often used as police dogs.

"Whenever the truth comes out, I'm sure you'll be ready for it and handle it the best way you can," Josh tried to console her as the two Arcanine stopped on the opposite side of the track. "Whichever choice you make, make it with no regrets. If you want to leave your past life behind, good. If you want to get to the bottom of it, also good."

The way Nikola controlled Fluffy caught the Gym Leader's attention. "You've got an innate talent for controlling Pokémon. You do the Gym Challenge?"

{PC: 8}

close tab

played by

newt

niko, nikki
they/them
august 26
mossdeep city
bisexual
data entry lackey
rising star
world.search (you)
5'7 height
5'7 height
would you kindly play with me again?
awards
79 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikola
NIKOLA CATELLUS
binary [josh]
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 2:17:34 GMT
NIKOLA CATELLUS Avatar
they blink owlishly behind the lens of their glasses. the gym challenge...? oh right, that thing. it's a little strange that the thought never crossed their mind despite their friendship with josh, but his identity as a gym leader took second place to his identity as a racer, at least in their own head. they absentmindedly pat fluffy on the back. "nope. never thought about it before." their familiarity with pokemon is likely more from a research standpoint. that information has always come easily enough to them.

nikola rubs their chin thoughtfully. "...i might consider it, depending on what i choose to pursue." there's a nagging feeling at the back of their mind, but it's drowned out by the sea of other thoughts there currently. "i need time to think on it-- and you need more time to recover before you should be taking too many challenges, probably." they smirk. "what better gym to start at than mauville's own?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,954 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
binary [josh]
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 5:27:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Only showing up to major races every year, Josh was better known as Mauville's Gym Leader than a professional Pokémon racer. Running the Gym occupied much of his time, giving him insufficient time to grind the circuit enough to take the Silph Cup home. It was easy to mistake Josh's past career as his more prominent one; after all, it was how he built fame and fortune before becoming the densely populated city's Gym Leader.

"It's less that I'm tired physically and more tired from catching up on all the admin work that I have to personally complete as Leader," Josh sighed when Nikola brought up his condition. True, he was still recovering from his wounds and probably shouldn't go full blast in the saddle. "Looking forward to it. How about we head inside and get you scheduled with SHELLY SPIEL? She's handling booking today." If they didn't want to book an appointment today, the rider would provide a link to the Gym's electronic sign-up form available on the Gym's official website... once they were done riding to their hearts' content.

{PC: 9}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights