snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
vct: howard vs illeana
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2024 7:04:46 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]approaching her side of the arena, the head scientist almost feels self conscious. does she look formidable? or is she merely a squishy looking opponent?

she has no time to decide on an answer as her opponent for this match joins the arena. he looks nice, maybe even friendly...

"hey, i'm illeana - nice to meet you!"

in front of her, her unsuspecting eevee barks lightly and wags its tail excitedly.

"good luck today, okay?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 20:59:33 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Howard hated this tournament, he hated Thundurus, and he hated his life.

In that order.

Bringing Serizawa was a mistake. Howard would've done much better if he had brought Shirley, his Aerodactyl. Even Atlas would be a remarkably better choice, given the automaton's willingness to listen to commands. He figured that bringing Serizawa would bring him and the Larvitar closer together, but all it had gotten Howard was a cracked rib and severe trauma.

Alas.

"Illeana?" Howard's eye blinked in surprise. "Illeana Reyes> The geneticist? Aw, man... this sucks!"

Howard crossed his arms, deep in thought, before sulking.

"I wish I had brought my anthropology textbook from college for you to sign. Darn it! Your work is groundbreaking..." Howard stopped sulking relatively quickly. Much like Lilycove's fluctuating weather, the archaeologist bounced from emotion to emotion. "Let's have a nice, clean fight. Eh, Serizawa?"

The Larvitar roared in agreement.

3/3 (NO MECHANIC)

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 21:14:49 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she lets out an almost embarrassed laugh and waves an idle hand in the air to dispel his worry.

"you could stop by the lab sometime if you'd like - i'd be happy to sign your book then!"

for now, she is simply a competitor. nothing more, nothing less... it's freeing, in a small insignificant sort of way.

both his and his larvitar share the same sort of bubbling excitement. it's endearing enough for her to flash a warm smile their way before her eevee begins the match by making her first move. a quick volley of shadow balls fly across the field, one after another, in hopes of at least hitting the larvitar once. her dynamax band sits idle for now, simply biding its time.

DEVPyjGR

hp: 4/4

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 21:35:44 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Oh thank Arceus... That's one signature down. You and are super polite about signatures. Someone threw a book at me when I asked." Howard let out a sigh, clearly relieved as Serizawa went off to maul a poor innocent creature. Hopefully nobody judged Howard's Larvitar for beating up a Head Scientist's Eevee in broad daylight.

Would that kill his chance of getting a signature?

"Serizawa, get in close and use Stone Ed-"

Instead, Howard's body shuddered as the ground tremored from Serizawa's Earthquake. He let out a heavy sigh as the Larvitar continued his rampage. The archaeologist at least had the shame to look embarrassed as his Pokémon ignored his orders. Man, couldn't Serizawa pretend to listen to him for a little bit?

"I'm so sorry. He doesn't..." Howard winced as a Shadow Ball struck the Larvitar. "...listen. Ever."

3/3 (no mechanic)
JYpZalXu

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 21:40:20 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"a book...? at your head?"

an owlish blink follows.

"why would anyone do that..."

isn't that kind of rude? it's just a signature - it's the least they could do, right?

her eevee wobbles and barks nervously as the ground erupts with earthquake. and in an effort to save her eevee the trouble of dodging too much, illeana activates her dynamax band with a flick of her wrist. the eevee grows in size enough to comfortably sit on the breaking pieces of the arena, paws firmly planted beneath it.

once the earthquake subsides, the gigantamax eevee raises a paw and looks to smack his larvitar around with a quick attack slap.

_MevWHqa

hp: 4/4

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 21:48:01 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"People aren't very nice, and I have a very punchable face. Trust me, I'm used to it."

Compared to getting a Larvitar kicked into your ribs, getting a book thrown at you wasn't particularly painful. Especially that book was written on the evolutionary track of Ursalunas by a certain professor at Slateport University. Especially if that book had recently been targeted for criticism by a Dr. Howard Slayte and his academic paper on the Bloodmoon Beast.

Good times.

The Eevee dynamaxed. Bad times. A resounding 'piiii' echoed in Howard's ears.

"I'm gonna kill ." Howard muttered as he looked up at the colossal Pika- Eevee. Between Pikachus, a giant Regice, and Eternatus, Dynamax was growing less and less appealing.

Serizawa was slapped away, but held on with his stubby arms. When Howard peered closer, it became clear that Serizawa was holding on with a Crunch, biting deep into the Eevee's paw.

2/3 (no mechanic)
sShhBDVI

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 21:53:34 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]oh... well...

"i don't think your face looks very punchable, at least?"

not yet, anyway. she supposes it might be more circumstantial than he realizes, perhaps. though, by that logic, it would mean he has irritated others enough to punch him. something about it makes her a little sad.

the gigantamax eevee yelps as his larvitar crunches down on her paw. she swings the paw violently, trying to shake the larvitar off. and when that - inevitably - doesn't work, the eevee resorts to using swift to knock it off her paw.

9pTzwoDJ

hp: 3/4

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 22:03:19 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Thank you!" Howard said cheerfully. "Can I get that in the signature?"

If she knew that he helped Declan Walsh sign his paychecks, he suspected that the Head Scientist would punt him off a cliff, only to wait around for the snap when he hit the bottom. Admittedly, the author of that book deserved it. After fighting Megalopolans, flying a spaceship, and catching an otherworldly bear in an otherworldly Pokeball, Howard could write whatever the hell he wanted.

'Piii...' 's Pikachu rang out in his ears. Howard's eye twitched.

Shaking off Serizawa and then bombarding him with Swift worked very well. The Larvitar bounced between strikes, getting juggled with remarkable accuracy.

"Huh. Kinda looks like Meteno from up there." Howard peered at the Larvitar. As the Larvitar continued to get juggled, Howard rubbed his eye. "Arceus above... JUST USE HYPER BEAM!"

For once, the Serizawa listened. A brief spark appeared in the sky, before turning into a massive beam aiming for the very fluffy Eevee.

2/3 (no mechanic)
MIPvXUs3

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 22:12:14 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"absolutely!"

she'd put anything he'd like into the signature if requested - though, she'd draw the line at anything nasty...

she doesn't think he'd request anything particularly obscure and horrible, though, right?

the eevee succeeds in shaking off the larvitar, though her good luck seems to end there. a hyper beam flies up and smacks her right in the chest, sending the eevee teetering backwards on her hind paws. if she didn't have more fluff thanks to the gigantamax phenomena, the hyper beam might've completely knocked her out entirely. instead, it feels like a heavy punch to the gut and it takes the eevee a few minutes to recover. once she does, the eevee raises a paw again to quick attack slap the larvitar around the field.

26hAWo6P

hp: 3/4

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 22:31:53 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Right.

Howard Slayte was a good upstanding citizen whose biggest crime was being strongarmed into working for terrorists. Admittedly, that was pretty bad. People had come back from worse though, right? He wasn't that bad of a person. If he was, he'd take sadistic glee in cutting Admin Delaney's paycheck by 5% when he sent him a mediocre forgery.

He hadn't, but it had been pretty funny.

While the Eevee recovered, Serizawa fell to the ground with the theatrics of Meteno closing in on Hoenn. Unlike the genuine article, there wasn't some divine intervention. There was simply the distant echo of 'LARVITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!' and a thud as he hit the ground.

"Ouch." Howard winced.

As he crawled to his feet, Serizawa let out a defiant yell as the paw blotted out the sun. As it closed in, Serizawa channeled his inner strength, attempting to intercept the strike with a Thrash.

1/3 (no mechanic)
q3h1vMbv

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 22:40:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she's not necessarily the best judge of character - clearly, given her choices over the past few years - but she wouldn't say the man before her seems horrible. excitable, perhaps, is the term she'd use, but definitely not anything meant in a negative context.

in fact, she might actually be looking forward to him stopping by the lab sometime for the signature he wanted. if he's a fan of science, perhaps they'd be able to have some discussions on a variety of topics. she'd enjoy that, at least.

the eevee stares down at the larvitar as it collides with the ground. the thud, while wince worthy, does not earn much of a reaction from the gigantamax eevee. not at the moment... for she's still slightly reeling from the hyper beam enough to feel mildly disoriented. it causes her reaction to be slower than it already is and leaves the eevee vulnerable for trash to knock her paw back entirely. the counter causes eevee to wobble a bit, giant fur almost succumbing to gravity. after a moment, the eevee fires off another shadow ball down at the larvitar as if she's seemingly learned her lesson on getting too close to it.

qsPkaJGF

hp: 2/4

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 22:56:02 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
This fight was close. If Howard was sitting down, he'd be on the edge of his seat. He was on the edge of exhaustion, but that didn't really count.

Howard wasn't Rocket's best fighter. He wasn't even a particularly good trainer. He used book knowledge and studying to tame Pokémon, but actual combat was difficult. Serizawa was a strong Larvitar, but Howard hadn't trained him. He surrounded himself with competence, and sometimes that competence shined through him.

The fact that Serizawa was bravely charging into battle made Howard wish he was half as brave as the little monster.

"They're keeping their distance! Serizawa, use Hyper Beam! Crush them with brute force!"

Another Hyper Beam emerged from Serizawa's maw. An orb of destruction. Howard was, again, surprised that his Larvitar had actually listened. Maybe this would be it. If this Hyper Beam didn't blast through Illeana's Shadow Ball, it'd be over.

His signature depended on it.

1/3
9E0Ivg4q

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 23:24:17 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]in the end, brute force is not enough...

shadow ball overcomes the might of hyper beam and ends their match in a single swooping orb of darkness. and despite herself, illeana almost looks surprised.

her eevee shrinks back down to her normal size in a swirl of red energy and together, the pair make their way across the field to see their opponents. when she's close enough, the scientist offers a warm hand and a bright smile.

"good fight! make sure you come to the lab for that signature, okay?"

and once their pleasantries are done, she makes her leave to shuffle on to the next battle.

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 23:50:10 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"I lost...?" Howard blinked. "Huh."

That wasn't surprising. Dynamax was a remarkable phenomenon, yet Serizawa had lost to it all the same. The Larvitar had lost on his order. Howard had told him to use Hyper Beam, and Serizawa had listened. By listening, Serizawa had lost. Why had the gremlin decided to listen to him at the end?

"...Serizawa?" Howard crossed the arena and picked up the Larvitar. He held the beast for a second, before sighing in defeat. The Larvitar disappeared in a flash as he returned to his Pokeball.

He needed more practice.

"Thanks for the battle, Illeana. I'll be sure to visit you once the tournament is over." He let out a wave and smiled. "Watch out for thunderbolts! I heard that Thundurus destroyed a hotdog stand earlier."

As he turned to exit, Howard wiped his face.

0/3
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,032 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2024 5:55:19 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]VCT COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: