She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 5, 2024 19:32:50 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She had never challenged a gym before, but it was a natural choice to start in her hometown. Additionally, the advice she had gotten from Annalise and even her other Ranger leaders had been clear: expect the unexpected and don't play fair. She had been experimenting with using her pokemon in unusual ways, though she wasn't sure she was comfortable with the advice to attack another trainer directly, even if Rockets did it regularly.

But now it was time to test her meddle.

"Thanks for making time for me," she said as she walked up. Did she look nervous? She offered a big grin and her hand to shake. "I appreciate you letting me start my gym journey here at home."

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 6, 2024 12:58:15 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","Navypog3"]
[attr="class","Navypog3-big-img"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-1"]
[attr="class","Navypog3-title"]
MORE HUMAN[break]THAN HUMAN

[attr="class","Navypog3-tagged"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-subtitle"]
IF YOU WANT BLOOD, YOU GOT IT.

[attr="class","Navypog3-pkmn"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-post"]

[attr="class","Navypog3-icon"]

With just a few months left in his tenure as gym leader, Navy’s happy to finally see a few Dewford locals coming out to take the challenge. Besides , most of his challengers are out of towners who have made the long journey to his little island.[break][break]
Pleasure’s all mine, Ms. Coello.” The offered hand is taken. His shake is a confident one, not overbearing or light. Letting go, he turns and walks into the backroom, where the battle pitch is located. Like so many before her, Robin is greeted by an unassuming room. Four steel walls, a high ceiling, and a battle pitch lined with artificial grass.[break][break]
Always happy to have a ranger in my gym. Arceus knows you’re doing good work. This town needs all the help it can get.” His gratitude is genuine, written in the warmth radiating from each word. “Tell me somethin’ before we get started. We’ve had quite the hectic year. What’s made you decide to take the gym challenge? Trying to get ready for whatever comes next?” With dragons lumbering across frozen wastelands, fresh-made craters filled with paradoxical monsters, and a multiple battles in the past year, Hoenn cannot be called quiet.

[attr="class","Navypog3-bot-1"]

notes about this post

Notes go here
[attr="class","Navypog3-bot"]

[googlefont=Poppins:700,800][googlefont=Hind:400,700][googlefont=VT323:400]
[newclass=.Navypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Navypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Navypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Navypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Navypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#d84545;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Navypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Navypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Navypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Navypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Navypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#d84545!important; }.Navypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Navypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Navypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Navypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Navypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Navypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Navypog3-post i { color:#d84545; }.Navypog3-post b { color:#d84545;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Navypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Navypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Navypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#d84545;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#d84545!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2024 4:39:43 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She couldn't name what she'd been expecting, but the steel room wasn't it. Perhaps these battles got so chaotic they needed the containment. She'd have to keep that in mind. Snorlax had pretty destructive environmental moves, so at least she didn't have to sweat breaking the gym in half. She didn't make enough money for that kind of cleaning bill...

"My motivation," she echoed as she considered the question. "My friends have been getting stronger, and I need to, too, if I want to protect them. With all I've been learning from my Ranger Captains lately, it feels like I need to put that knowledge to the test. They keep telling me the threats we're facing will push boundaries, will break rules, will defy any good will in their hearts. I have to challenge myself to think outside the box, so I'm ready for that fight."

Surrendering with her fainted pokemon hadn't protected her from the attempted abduction. Rockets could do anything with brute force and an addiction to chaos. She had to do better to keep her home safe. "I've not been the best trainer. In fact, I've let my pokemon fight their battles without much input for most of my time as a Ranger, but recent events have taught me that I have to take a front seat if I want to change the course of a fight. I need more than their instinct. So. I'm here to test if I've developed any of my own."

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font: 800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2024 10:18:47 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

It’s good that you realize you’ve gotta be an active participant in the battle.” He says after listening to what Robin has to say, nodding along. “Training’s sort of like a bell curve. Most newbies trust their Pokemon’s instincts, and the real pros have trained them so much that they’re in-tune with one another. Most people fall somewhere in the middle, and that’s alright.” While thinking on his own words, Navy crosses his arms and runs a hand through his beard.[break][break]
That said…it’s hard to keep cool and give commands on a battlefield. Real hard. Most of the time, you’re shouting. Main thing on your mind’s gonna be Arceus, I don’t wanna die.” Such was where his mind was on a day long long ago when he scrambled through Granite Cave. It was swarming with Rockets, several of whom nearly killed him. That he survived at all is a miracle.[break][break]
The threats we’re facing will push boundaries. There’s monsters right by our little town, and Rocket’s coming. Don’t know when, but we’re gonna have to defend the town again.” He feels the young ranger is afforded the right to know that. This is her home, and she must be ready to defend what’s hers.[break][break]
So, throw out your Pokemon. Show me what you’ve got.”[break][break]
He holds up two pokeballs, a challenge. He frames deceit as a chivalrous right of the challenger to set up first.

notes about this post

Notes go here

[newclass=.Navypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Navypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Navypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Navypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Navypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#d84545;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Navypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Navypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Navypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Navypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Navypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#d84545!important; }.Navypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Navypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Navypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Navypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Navypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Navypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Navypog3-post i { color:#d84545; }.Navypog3-post b { color:#d84545;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Navypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Navypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Navypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#d84545;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Navypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#d84545!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2024 16:42:01 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She listened carefully. She wanted to be fully in sync with her pokemon. She had mega evolved Snorlax only once, and it had felt like their bond was electric and alive. She needed more practice to hone that technique and more time to get on the same wavelength as her team. Though, Snorlax was her first. She felt the most harmonious with him already. And she had hatched Sinistea from an egg, so she was all her ghost knew. She had been told bonds and understanding were important to a trainer; her two pokemon were carefully chosen for this fight.

As he mentioned defending Dewford, it solidified her resolve. She steeled herself as she released her two pokemon onto the field in front of her. "Alright, it's time to prove ourselves." She took in a deep breath. Whatever he sent out, she had to be in tip-top shape. "Sinistea, use aromatic mist." The ghost chimed in an affirming tone and released a sweet-smelling mist that reinforced the defense of Snorlax.

She waited; Snorlax was an expert at tanking hits, and seeing Mr. Navidson's opening gambit would help her strategize.

[break]
1. Sinistea used aromatic mist to boost Snorlax' (special) defense.
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 8, 2024 23:11:11 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

Two things happen at once.[break][break]
As Robin’s twin streaks of red light trail towards the pitch, Navy presses a button. The elevator shaft, for that is what his battle pitch is in truth, begins to sink towards their true battlefield. Robin’s Pokemon will enter the field on unsteady ground, with the mist painting the air above them pink.[break][break]
At the same time, he throws out the first of his two Pokemon. Thin Lizzy is a Cyclizar of robust size, despite what her name would have one believe. She cries out a high pitched cry.[break][break]
Lizzy. Spin.” Navy calls out, more for Robin’s benefit than his own. Thin Lizzy’s wheels burn against the grass. She shoots like a streak of white lightning out towards the two Pokemon. One Pokemon is naturally durable. The other is totally unaffected by mortal hands. It seems a foolish play until the mist fails to truly take root around them.[break][break]
Nothing comes from the other pokeball. Instead, a Dragapult appears behind Sinistea in an explosion of phantom force. Fafnir has been waiting, unseen, for an opportune moment to strike. Navy told him to pick his target with care, and so the dreadwyrm complies.[break][break]
Rocket plays real dirty.” He says to her. “Way dirtier than this.

notes about this post

Cyclizar is thrown out and uses rapid spin as the pitch descends. I don't think it actually clears away this kind of mist in the game but fuck it we ball. It's aimed more towards the Snorlax. Dragapult appears in a preemptive phantom force and strikes Sinistea.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2024 15:34:18 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

He was throwing her off her rhythm immediately. She hadn't expected the field to move away from her mist. Of course, who could've? But he isn't challenging her ability to make a million contingency plans. This is clearly to see how she moves on the fly, and she has to improvise the right strategy to protect her team.

Cyclizar comes spinning and the Dragapult charges her Sinistea from behind; there's only one obvious play to protect them both from the opening gambit. "ALLY SWITCH!" She shouts, her heart pounding in her chest. Sinistea obeys, using ally switch to replace herself with Snorlax. The normal pokemon is immune to ghost moves, so the Dragapult's charge goes through him. Similarly, Cyclizar's normal spin move phases through the teacup pokemon.

Cyclizar's speed seems like it will become an ongoing problem, so they need to disrupt the playing field. "Mun, use earthquake!" He stomps his foot to the ground to generate an earthquake. Robin exhales forcibly, trying to regulate the adrenaline rush she's feeling. "The environmental moves are still okay, yeah?" She asks belatedly, still a little concerned about wrecking the area. Snorlax knew several TMs for large moves, and she didn't want to destroy his place.

[break]
1. Sinistea used ally switch to swap her place with Snorlax. The ghost/normal immunities protect them from their new respective opponent's move.
2. Snorlax used earthquake.
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 23:50:49 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

I sure hope so!” Her question is met with a deep laugh. “Or you just killed us both!” Divulging information in war is death. Rails are built along the trainers’ platforms, which Navy grips at once when he sees the Snorlax’s play.[break][break]
The battle pitch seems to hold. Navy isn’t going to up and tell her this, but he built it to withstand attacks like this. Specifically, in a time when his opinion of the man was much higher, he dreamed of battling and Groudon in the arena below. An arena built to withstand Groudon can stomach an earthquake from a Snorlax.[break][break]
Her loss if she’s too cautious to try. Even if there’s no imminent threat, the pitch bounces and rumbles. They are still bound by four claustrophobic steel walls, but they’ll soon arrive at their destination.
Fafnir and Lizzy both respond with frustration. Neither one managed to land a blow in the opening salvo. Dragons, even Cyclizars like Lizzy, have too much pride for their own good.[break][break]
Great play, by the way.” He moves on as if he didn’t bring up the possibility of death moments before. “Lizzy, back.”[break][break]
Thin Lizzy’s black throat sack expands in anger, but she does not protest. Before the Earthquake can reach her, she sheds her own tail. Using it as a decoy, she returns to Navy in a flash of red. Fafnir covers for her by locking onto each of the opposing Pokemon. One dragon dart shoots at each. Tiny Dreepy yell a cry that almost sounds like yahooooooooooooo![break][break]
In Lizzy’s place emerges a Palafin, Toshinori. Though he is in his zero form, he cheers with all the enthusiasm of a superhero.[break][break]
You a fan of Palafins? I like ‘em a lot.

notes about this post

Cyclizar uses shed tail to avoid the Earthquake. Brings out Palafin - Zero Form in her place. Dragapult uses dragon dart to launch darts at both mons.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2024 15:48:39 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Her heart's racing as she realizes she might have condemned them both to an early tomb, but the platform holds. His light-heartedness about such a dark twist of fate seems like the kind of red flag that should have her running for the hills. It's exactly why she needs to double down and stand her ground. He's just trying to psych her out.

"Thank you," she returns to the compliment, but her brow furrows as he retrieves Lizzy -- isn't this doubles? She can't complain just yet; Dragapult is striking her pokmon. The dart that heads to Snorlax changes directions for Sinistea. Sinistea tries to evade the shot but eats both darts, crying out and very clearly on the brink of fainting. "Crunch him!" She shouts at Snorlax, who charges the Dragapult to try and crunch on his boomerang-shaped head.

"Take some health back!" Sinistea understands the command and uses giga drain on the Palafin. Michael's question throws her off. "Uh. Never seen one before. It's kind of.." She's underwhelmed, but there's no polite way to articulate that. "And just how many pokemon are you sittin' on over there?" She puts her hands on her hips, feeling bamboozled. She knew he would do something underhanded, but she hadn't foreseen extra pokemon. She'd brought no extras.

But she needs to match his strategies with her own. She throws a pokeball onto the field by his Dragapult, but nothing comes out. "Possess 'em," She orders; Sinistea uses Poltergeist to maneuver the pokeball like a held item and beat Dragapult with it.

[break]
1. Since dragon dart will ignore Snorlax for his immunity to ghost type moves and will instead double strike Sinistea, she takes major damage -- her CURSED BODY disables the attack, as the odds of disabling are increased for multi-strike.
2. Snorlax uses cruch on Dragapult.
3. On the brink of fainting, Sinistea uses giga drain on Palafin.
4. Sinistea takes an EXTRA TURN and uses Poltergeist on the empty pokeball Robin threw by Dragapult to attack Dragapult.
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 6:08:21 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

Clever girl!” His voice raises on the second word, rising with a warrior’s enthusiasm. She improvises, she adapts. She does not complain in any real sense. That earns Robin Navy’s respect.[break][break]
Fafnir’s eyes widen as he disappears into a crimson stream. Caught inside the pokeball, all he can do is struggle to break free. What a mighty struggle it is. It won’t hold for long. Fafnir is an unruly creature on the best day, possessed of a ghost’s tricksy nature.[break][break]
Toshi, you know what to do.” Toshinori needs no further instructions. He takes advantage of Polteageist’s attention being elsewhere. A flip turn sees him returning to his pokeball as well, only to be replaced by Thin Lizzy. Her tail has already regrown. Two wide eyes assess the battlefield. She shrieks at the sight of the writhing pokeball.[break][break]
Let me tell you a story. Last April, when every Rocket and their mom showed up in Dewford, I was a civilian. Bad luck, bad timing. Fell through some rifts when the fight destabilized…everything. Ended up falling right in front of two of Rocket’s best. They did every dirty trick you could do. Threw out more Pokemon, turned my own Pokemon against me, damn near killed me.”[break][break]
Steel, at last, gives way to light. Below them is a vast battlefield, carved from the granite. It is a warrior’s playground, complete with open fields and hiding spots galore. Any sort of battle the mind can conjure can be waged here.[break][break]
Those are the people coming for our town,” a Salamence roars, “and we gotta be ready.”[break][break]
Navy’s Salamence, a nameless beast, passes over while they descend. It lets loose a scorching hot flamethrower as it passes, flying off into the battlefield below.[break][break]
He’s the last one.” Navy’s smile gives nothing away. “Back’s to the wall, huh? What next?

notes about this post

Dragapult is withdrawn forcibly. Palafin is hit, uses flip turn afterwards. Peaces out. Cyclizar comes back in. As we near the real battlefield, a Salamence swoops over with a flamethrower.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 21:11:34 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

Robin's glad she's earned his approval so far, but he's throwing more curveballs than she can keep up with. Sinistea is focused on subduing his Dragapult, so she's unprepared for the Palafin's quick attack and swap. Sinistea is hanging on by a thread, leaving Snorlax to face the Cyclizar and - oh Arceus, a Salamence? "Get distance," Robin instructs to her. She floats far from Robin, sitting almost above Michael himself.

His words resonate with her. "Used your pokemon against you?" Her voice is soft, a little shaky. She's always had a hang-up about psychic types, has barely permitted her most trusted pokemon to attempt to use psychic moves. They've always had it out for her and always seemed... sinister. Perhaps coming from a family of psychics as a failed one is a bias, but. It chills her, the idea that Rockets would use a trainer's pokemon against them. "Was it mind control?"

Her only saving grace when she was nearly abducted was the resilience of her pokemon, even if her Seadra had almost left her to drown. Even as the idea of mind control sickens her, he's given her an idea. She's down to one pokemon against a team of four; there's no more space for pulling punches. She need to use pokemon against him.

Salamence brings down a flamethrower. "Switch with Mun!" It's a sacrificial play, but Sinistea obeys, ever faithful since hatching in Robin's very arms. Sinistea eats the flamethrower and faints, but more importantly, Snorlax is in her place and descending quickly, his large body threatening to crush Michael. "Blizzard!" Snorlax obeys, commanding an icy blast to fill the room as he falls down towards the gym leader.

All the same, Robin's hand hovers over Mun's pokeball in case the gym leader can't pull out in time.

[break]
1. Sinistea is in critical condition from flip turn; floats above Michael.
2. Sinistea uses ally switch, swapping with Snorlax; she faints under FLAMETHROWER.
3. A rapidly-descending Snorlax casts Blizzard as he sets out to crush Michael with his body.
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2024 0:53:00 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

…huh?” Navy looks up. A Snorlax is falling down on him, a projectile missile. Were he to die here, it would be a truly humiliating death. Jumping out of his raised platform, he falls into a forward roll on the pitch below. Navy avoids Snorlax by the skin of his teeth.[break][break]
From the gathering blizzard comes the sound of an explosion. Steel and electric parts go flying everywhere. Smoke rises. Nothing there will give a Pokemon as robust as Snorlax any real harm, but it’ll cost an arm and a leg to repair the damage.[break][break]
Good,” Navy says, “real good.” The blizzard strikes both of the Pokemon presently out on the field effectively. Cold is the natural enemy of dragonkind. Piling onto Thin Lizzy, he takes off across the arena, out into the granite battlefield beyond. There’s no time to waste on pleasantries. If Robin wants to fight that way, he’ll have to take this seriously.[break][break]
Salamance’s answer to the damage is to swoop down, trying to strike Snorlax with a crunch of its mighty fangs. This takes him right into the heart of the blizzard. Lizzy, with Navy on top, does a rapid spin to make herself a harder target, kicking up frost and fog all around her.[break][break]
It was a guy who could make a shadow Pokemon out of any Pokemon he sees, by the way!” He shouts out from the fog.

notes about this post

Dragapult continues to struggle in the ball. Everyone else is hit. Navy dodge rolls out of the way. He gets on Cyclizar, who runs away and kicks up fog with a rapid spin. Salamance descends and uses crunch on Snorlax.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 20:37:54 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

She doesn't crush the gym leader, thankfully, but then he's on Lizzy's back and rolling around the field. She's not trying to hurt the guy, but Snorlax isn't a precise fighter and it's going to be harder to strike without risking injury to him.

"Shadow pokemon," she murmurs aloud, thoughtfully. Her Toxtricity was a shadow pokemon. It had occurred over night. She had always blamed her negativity after losing to Rocket on the ocean routes. Perhaps people could create shadow pokemon... but it sounded like this guy might have been making duplicates. "How did you survive that fight?" She needed all the advice she could get.

More importantly, the fight gets harder to see because of her spinning, and it leaves Robin with less information to work off of. She barely sees Salamence descend and figures the dragon is a more likely assailant than the spinning Cyclizar. "Fight back if he gets close!" When the Salamence digs those jaws into Snorlax, the brute launches a hammer arm at the dragon.

It won't be long before Dragapult breaks from his ball or the gym leader takes advantage of his riding abilities. Snorlax is outnumbered and outgunned, and there's no chance they pull through on this one. But she can make things difficult. "Let's change the terrain," she instructs.

Much as Snorlax can break the earth or summon a freezing storm, he has one last environmental trick. He raises his arms and generates a massive wave of water, one that sweeps Robin into the rushing water as he uses surf to flood the field.

[break]
1. Snorlax gets crunched as he uses hammer arm on salamence.
2. Snorlax uses surf.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,219 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 5:11:06 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]

Some of his Pokemon are swept in the tide, but this is not a flat field. They catch on Granite, hoisting themselves up onto jagged outcroppings of the stuff. Though soaked, each of them turns to look down on Robin and her Snorlax. None of them attack, not yet.[break][break]
Navy himself has Lizzy shift gears and rush up a solid wall, spinning and landing onto a cliff of rock. She’s surrounded by monsters. They snarl down at her, eyes glowing red in the darkness and sickening fog.[break][break]
Dumb luck.” Is his answer to her question. “Plenty of people died down there, or at Sootopolis, or back in Slateport. People’ll keep dying in this war, Robin. You could be one of them. Could be a day when this happens to you for real. No backup, no way out, no way to raise your hand and cry uncle.”[break][break]
He lets the thought hand between them, eventually following it up with the question all this is leading up to.[break][break]
When that day comes, what are you gonna do?

notes about this post

People got hit but it's mostly a talky round.

close tab

played by

Ghostfinch

She/Her
January 5
Dewford
Lesbian
Ranger
Elite Ranger (ooc)
5'4 height
5'4 height
awards
473 posts
robin coello DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @robin
robin coello
[GYM] Dews and Don'ts
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 18:13:37 GMT
robin coello Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]

When the day comes, what are you gonna do?

In one sense, the day had come already. Her first experience fighting Rocket had led to a near-abduction in the ocean routes. She had pushed her pokemon so hard afterwards, nearly breaking them. had had to snap her out of it. Toxel had woken up the next morning doused in shadow, which was not cured even as he stood Toxtricity now.

She had studied closely under the tutelage of established Ranger Captain and Mauville's Gym Leader for months, visiting ice caves, studying The Border, and learning to ride pokemon. She learned about some of the dangers facing Hoenn from like the interdream mist and some of the darker ones like the DRK triad from . She had thrown herself into being a Ranger completely because she had been rendered defenseless like a non-trainer civilian in those ocean routes.

She had taken to stricter studies, too, like learning about combat from who had prepared her, specifically, for using pokemon against trainers, something she had put to the test in this very battle. She had dedicated herself to repeated trips to the Wilds to learn about their secrets, had found horrific plans to create a manmade pokemon from those visits, and had still found the courage to wake up each day without the fear and cynicism rightfully earned from witnessing darkness and violence.

What was she gonna do?

Her answer hadn't changed from her conversation with Greyson in Area Zero, pursuing DRK triad personnel. "I agreed to fight relentlessly when I accepted this," she said as she tugged on her cadet Ranger armband. "It might be inevitable that I go down or that Hoenn goes down much like Kanto, but it - and I - will not go down without a fight." She thought of Gwen helping her bond with her pokemon after the short-sighted abuse she had inflicted on them, training them to their limit and then some. And she thought of how long it took to come around to the Marshadow that had followed her after it was a Marshadow that nearly killed her and her pokemon in the ocean routes.

It's not a white flag, but she knows Snorlax and herself cannot win this fight single-handedly when they are so outnumbered and overpowered. "Our battle is one I can't win, but I can make sure I don't lose." She could attempt to freeze the water, though the blizzard could not overcome such a sheer volume of water. She had cards to play until her hands were empty, even if none of them contained a winning gambit. "I have learned in this past year that there are forces far beyond my understanding and beyond my abilities as a single trainer. And they might overcome me, but they will overcome me standing."

Talk is cheap, but she's only surrendered once in her lifetime. She's never done it since, and she's recently come to understand that while winning isn't always a choice, she can play to not lose, and it might be all the difference.

[break]
1. No moves.
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights