6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
AZ Excursion A: JE
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 17:08:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Suicune the Walking Wake stared at Josh with red eyes. Even with Area Zero's Terastal Energy making the paracox Pokémon calm, he still flinched and growled when Josh rest his hands on his side as though he wanted to mount up. The pressure of being around such powerful Pokémon was something Josh hadn't fully become accustomed to yet; he could only handle being around two of them at a time, and Aleph got priority.

All of a sudden, the water near Suicune began to heat up, Josh backing away from him as his hair stood on end from absorbing the liquid's increased temperature. The aquatic paradox Pokémon cooed with a cry similar to, if not identical to, 's Suicune. Would such a cry attract 's attention?

AMP2t_b| Aleph obedience

Event roll

{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Raikou          Raging Bolt       Good
Suicune         Walking Wake      Good
Aleph           Type: Null        Good
·
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 20:12:17 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
So far, it indeed seemed that Area Zero - though it did have more ordinary species of pokemon around - was not as ecologically varied as the Giant Chasm above. This wasn't to say that there weren't non-Paradox pokemon down here - there actually were a decent number of them...

... But safe to say, the Paradoxes proved to be tough competition for territory and food alike. Their hope is that these otherworldly pokemon don't end up pushing out all of the pokemon who had hoped to migrate here, but at the moment it's hard to say...

In any case; as El continued to trek through the crystalline tunnels, a distant call soon caught their attention. It... Sounded a bit like Suicune - although the call was a bit off. They chalked it up to distortion from echoing through the tunnels like this - but the sound was still significant. Was down here, too?

Eager to possibly meet up with their brother, they'd pick up the pace through the tunnels - Bibidi, Haro, and Baron following close behind - to try and track the supposed duo down... Only, they didn't find Suicune, or Isaac.

Instead, Josh was there - alongside a bizarre Paradox that they had never seen before. It resembled Suicune, yes - but in a more theropod-esque shape instead. It was fascinating, although also concerning in its implications...

... All the same though, they'd step out into view, waving. "Josh, hello!" They called, glancing over the pokemon present. "What's going on over here?" Given that there wasn't any active fighting, they assumed that this was a Paradox that Josh had caught - though whatever was going on with the water had their attention...

(Baron, though, would still stare the Walking Wake down; the Iron Valiant was clearly on guard all the same.)

IINnAAsv
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 21:52:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The extra heat that Suicune emitted was even wearing Aleph out. With a yawn, the Type: Null wandered up the trail leading out of the very bottom of Area Zero, into a semi-hidden alcove. He curled up and fell asleep, doing what he could to minimize his energy consumption and cool off.

"Suicune...? What's going on?" Josh asked the Walking Wake as the water continued to heat up, staring him down with his red, intimidating eyes. When he moved out of line of fight, the water-type's gaze was unmoving. Was he trying to warn Josh of the Iron Valiant behind him?

's voice startled the Gym Leader. "...Oh, El! Wasn't expecting to run into you down here. Great to see you again? How's doing? I haven't heard from him in well over a year." He looked anxious when it was clear that the Ranger noticed the Walking Wake that he thought was the Johto Beast Suicune...

tAwWcPS_ Event roll

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2024 3:46:10 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
Safe to say, it was quite warm out here with all the steam that the 'Suicune' was giving off; though El was at home in this humid warmth... But, El could tell at a glance that Baron and the theropod both were having a tense staring contest; they trusted that Baron wouldn't start anything unprovoked, but what over the other paradox?

Either way, as Josh spoke, El would cast him a smile. "Isaac's doing well!" They responded, adding "Been pretty much the usual - which, well... It's sometimes hard to have a usual day in Hoenn, but yaknow." El shrugs a bit with this, chuckling softly. "How about you?"

Though, their attention soon drifts back to the Walking Wake, as they mention "I guess there's - uhm - more new Paradoxes than those Sword fellas popping up down here? And you found one for yourself, too... Looks a bit like Suicune...?" They wondered what Isaac or the real Suicune would think of that. Did that mean the other beasts had similar Paradoxes running around now?

El had long-since adjusted to the recurring cries from deep within Area Zero, though; and as a result, they only blinked a bit as they once more heard it echo from somewhere distant. This time, they glanced to Haro. "Same kind of vocalizations?" They were trying to figure out if there was some pattern in the different calls they had been hearing - and was having Haro try to analyze and compare whatever it could record...

The Porygon2 responded with a -DING!- sound effect, which must have been some form of 'yes.'

7Rdk|HyS
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2024 0:59:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While he did not stutter, his nerves were apparent and may have been easy for El to pick up on. "Same. I've had quite a bit more time on my hands - Mauville Gym has been slow. Not a lot of challenger volume over the winter since Kyurem's made our weather more like Johto's," he started chatting with the Ranger. "Glad to have almost all my community service hours done so I can start doing these expeditions to Area Zero on the League's dime and not my own." Once he was free of his burden, he would be able to do more of the things he enjoyed again, and build his bank account back up again. While the Gym was not operating at a loss for the year, February was a horrible month, with a balance sheet full of red.

"I'm just happy to hear he's doing well," Josh continued. "I miss him. I want to see him again. I heard about what happened to him." El may have been aware of Josh's fixation with the Johto Beasts, but especially Raikou. If he could reconnect with Isaac, maybe Isaac and Suicune could help him find Raikou. It was a good lead. But could he ask Josh for any more help, after all the "help" he had given him? He wouldn't be anywhere close to as strong of a battler as he was without the "attacks" Isaac had made as Rocket.

"...El, that's right. While he hasn't made me an Avatar like Isaac, a Suicune has began traveling with me." Josh was forced to back away, closer to the entrance to the research station where he had met and spoke about a similar topic. He was the only one that knew of Josh's Raging Bolt. "Can we go inside for a bit? I can't stand the heat anymore. It's like a sauna."

Just as he opened the electronic door, Josh heard the calls from the depths of Area Zero. "Kora...? No, it's not Kora. Similar, but different..."

txUusMHK Event roll

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2024 2:09:27 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
El, honestly, sort of took Josh's nerves in stride - figuring it was just cause this wasn't exactly a safe place to be. Instead, they simply nodded along as he talked about how things had been for him; listening attentively. "Yeahhhh; I imagine the winter cold's a lot worse when you get the wind rushing by ya." They certainly knew that for themself, having ridden upon Akero during these cold days.

Thank goodness it seemed like the temperature was starting to trend back up.

The subject of 'Suicune', however, was what had El's attention. "Are these Paradoxes even able to... Do the avatar-y thing?" They questioned, visibly curious. Granted, it wasn't as though the Iron paradoxes had been around for long enough for them to have any sort of solid reference - but they didn't seem quite the same as their genuine counterparts - even if they didn't know the Three Musketeers all that well. "How'd you meet this fella, too?"

It didn't feel the same, standing near the Walking Wake, as it was whenever Suicune deigned to hang around near them.

At the question of coming inside though, El blinked, before nodding. "Oh, yeah - I suppose it's, uhm, not as comfortable for folks from outside of Lavaridge..." They mused with a sheepish chuckle, happily following Josh into the research station...

... But, as Josh commented on the call, they blinked and glanced to him. "Kora?"

6eJUHEPH
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2024 17:40:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Admittedly, Josh had become a bit too used to the milder summers that came with Kyurem's presence. Once that ice-type behemoth had been dealt with, the heat would most likely get stifling in the summer. It would be to the point where Josh would need to change up the structure of his Gym, possibly limiting his hours of operation to the early morning and late evening during the hottest months of the year. "I wouldn't know," he non-answered their question. "He hasn't been with me for long. Still trying to get to know him. He's a Suicune, after all. Raising Aleph has taught me one thing about legendary Pokémon: they behave by totally different rules." As he would soon discover under Swift's companionship, though the Beast was a shell of a Raikou, he was still a Raikou, and demanded utmost respect.

Once they were indoors, Josh withdrew the Walking Wake and closed the door to the front gate. "Deep in the chasm," he answered. "And... before I go on any longer, I want your word that you won't share this with anyone outside the League's higher-ups. Gym Leaders and the like. You can tell Isaac, of course." He trusted with even his darkest skeletons in the closet, as Isaac once did him. He was one of only a few people outside Rocket that knew Isaac was once Blackjack. "Do I have your word?"

8_bZvwel Event roll

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 18:38:42 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
El nodded as Josh responded; really, they stil weren't sure if the Paradoxes had whatever spark the true deals had that let them choose Avatars like they did. "Yeah; Suicune, er... Isaac's Suicune, is a pretty hands-off teacher." They commented with a chuckle. The Northern Winds was one to simply give him the tools and tell him to do whatever; and really, they felt like that was where Isaac thrived most.

As far as they understood, it only really ever stepped in if something was beyond Isaac's capabilities.

But, as they entered the station proper, Josh suddenly seemed a good bit more serious - to which, El blinked a bit. But, after a moment's processing, they nodded. "You have my word, Josh." They responded solemnly, though they did distantly wonder what was so serious about these Paradoxes in particular that they had to be a secret.

0jIUEb|1
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2024 21:33:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It made sense to Josh that Isaac's Suicune stayed back; after all, it was a Beast of the winds. From his experiences with 's Ashen Suicune, being on one felt like strapping a harness to a hurricane. Whether across the land or the sea's surface, ordinary clothes would be ripped to shreds in the wake of the Beast's Extreme Speed.

"Thank you." As the Walking Wake's cloud of steam grew outside, making it difficult to see out the windows, the Gym Leader clicked open a second Poké Ball. A long, undulating neck stretched toward Josh, the Gym Leader cuddling its feline face before the dinosaur-cat crouched. The brave messenger climbed atop the Raging Bolt's saddle covering his spines. While the electric dragon wore no reins, he seemed to confer complete control upon Josh while they were in Area Zero together.

"I'm not an Avatar like Isaac is, but the Great One has blessed me with not just a Suicune, but also a Raikou." As he pat the long-necked creature, a purr sounded like rumbles of thunder reverberated inside the research station, shaking a beaker on a nearby table and nearly tipping it over.

p8PoFNiN Event roll

{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 0:44:06 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
The sight of the Raging Bolt was a impressive one, to say the least; El watched with an impressed sort of awe as the Raikou-like willingly allowed Josh onto its back. Really, the biggest thing that stood out to them was that it seemed to be one of the few bigger (not in size, but in presence) pokemon that seemed to have an actively amicable and cooperative relationship with Josh.

They had actually seen one like this in particular, while exploring with Desiree - but the fact that there were Suicune and Raikou paradoxes practically set in stone the existence of an Entei paradox, whatever it may be.

A Theropod, a Sauropod... What would the third one be like?

As Josh introduced the 'Raikou' though, El would smile to it. "Well, aren't you a sweet fella? And real cool, too." They mused as they gazed up to the Raging Bolt, audibly admiring it. "The two of you seem to have a good bond already; what's this one like?" As they spoke, they'd hold out a hand for the Raging Bolt - either for it to sniff, or to offer it attention.

Just cause these paradoxes took after gods, didn't mean that they couldn't enjoy scritches if they so desired!

t7Mmk9PH
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 15:49:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The dinosaur cat seemed to appreciate El's admiration, surprisingly friendly around the stranger. Raikou lowered his long neck to them and took a big sniff and sounded a thunderous purr once again. El may have been able to physically feel the reverberations, particularly if they touched and scratched the Raging Bolt. "He's really friendly in and near Area Zero. I can only ride him here. If I take him out of Area Zero, he suddenly becomes aloof. I don't get why. There's still so much I don't understand about him."

The steam had at last dissipated, Josh able to see what was going on outside. There was an otherworldly beauty to Area Zero; even after the metaphorical gold rush ended, he would come back to the Terastal caves, if only to better understand his "Hoennian Beasts".

"Looks like it's calmed down out there," Josh mused. "Shall we go back out and head to Area Zero's lowest levels?"

|AxZPmkm Event roll

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2024 16:24:53 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
As Josh spoke of 'Raikou's temperament, El hummed - thoughtful. "Maybe it's because this place is familiar, so he feels safer here? A lot of pokemon can get stressed or spooked by changes in environment - even the more intelligent ones - and they react to that stress or anxiety in different ways." They mused, as they scritched under Raikou's chin.

A pokemon putting on an aloof air because it doesn't feel safe or calm in an unfamiliar place wasn't all that farfetched, really. "Could try seeing if giving him a 'home away from home' in the gym would help him settle in." They suggested, with this in mind - their eyes lighting up a bit as they got to flex their nerd muscles a bit. "That, or just some safe quiet time to warm up to and get used to the changes."

As far as what that 'home away from home' might look like, though, El thought hard on it. "I dunno where I'd place Raikou or Suicune as far as taxonomy go - but feline and reptillian pokemon both like having their hidey spots, and avian or dinosaur pokemon like having flocks and nests. Quiet places to warm or sun themselves would most likely be a hit with the both of them, too."

The latter bit, of course, being based a bit off of what El had observed with other more ancient-type paradoxes. "But they know what they like best - so see what the two of them gravitate to."

With the steam clearing though, Josh was ready to keep moving - and El, in turn, nodded. "Sure - let me refill my water here and we'll be good to go." They spoke - already working on preparing themself to head back out into the caverns.

As they soon returned to Josh's side though, a question occurred to them. "So... There's Raikou, and there's Suicune... Do we know if there's any Entei-like Paradoxes out there? Or what it'd look like?" They wondered, glancing to the gym leader.

8Je8Bw4t
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 4:31:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
El's suggestions were all great. He noticed that his other "legendary" paradox Pokémon, Sigmund and Tyrfing, were also amicable within Area Zero. The Iron Boulder even agreed to wear a saddle while in the chasm, Josh getting a feel for what the Terrakion look-alike could do at full thrust. Little did he know how much he would appreciate that practice after becoming a Champion and he had a much more needy Pokémon to deal with.

"I wish I could give them a home at the Gym," Josh lamented aloud. "Unfortunately, Mauville Racing Grounds is pretty heavily trafficked. The reason I swore you to secrecy is because I'm trying to keep the fact that I have them under wraps. That way, the next time war breaks out like it did in Dewford, I can really surprise Rocket. Even so, I'll look for other options. I might have to let them roam my old property on 111... back when I was a Minor League Leader. It's rural enough that it shouldn't get too much traffic."

Josh slid off Raikou and was about to open the gate when El asked him one more question. "Can actually confirm that. Ran into Entei on another trip down here. I didn't dare try to catch him, as much as I'd love to have one. I've always wanted to saddle up with the Top Champion's Entei, but he won't let me. Out of the three, the Hoennian Entei resembles its Johtonian counterpart the most." Little did he know that he would get his wish after some words with and ...

Withdrawing all his Pokémon, the Gym Leader opened the gate back up. "Shall we head out? I've never been this deep in Area Zero before. This should be fun!"

2tw4gEDs Event roll

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Tsukistar

Elliot
They/Them
April 12th
Lavaridge Town
Pansexual
Ranger-Coordinator
Cadet
5'9" / 175 cm height
5'9" / 175 cm height
awards
573 posts
part of
TAG WITH @el
El Sunderland
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 3:49:25 GMT
El Sunderland Avatar
El's eyes lit up with a bit of curiosity at the mention of an Entei paradox indeed being a thing. "You'll have to tell me more, when we head out there!" They spoke - adding "I'm sure Isaac's Suicune will find at least a little interest in, uhm, knowing these exist..." Though, perhaps the Northern Wind would just find it strange. It'd certainly be weird to El, if they had learned that there were strange almost-clones of themself running around.

But in any case, as the Gym Leader opened the gate, El nodded. "Yeah, let's go!" They spoke, eagerly double-timing it out of the research station. Maybe, if these paradoxes were running around, they'd be able to find one of their own to learn more about..?

And, perhaps, to get some funny reactions out of their brother and his patron. They could only begin to imagine the looks that Isaac or the true Suicune would have, if they came along astride a Glamrock Raptor...
close tab

played by

a toddler

little toot toot
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
mod
googoo gaga
spiral is my big poppa pump (positive)
600 foot tall baby height
600 foot tall baby height
sleeping in mod reqs
awards
2,341 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mod
spiral and shiv's baby
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2024 5:05:50 GMT
spiral and shiv's baby Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]EXCURSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: