[M][C/Knight] A Champion's Duty Never Ends
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 7:04:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
TO: (josh.devlin@hoennleague.gov)
CC: (knight.naito@hoennrangers.gov)
MISSION: "School's Out"
PROTOCOL: Search-And-Rescue
DANGER: ★☆☆☆☆

Just outside Fortree City, a wild Pokémon attack has caused several trees to collapse onto a bus containing a small class of junior high school students. Elite Ranger Wilma of Fortree was able to chase away the attacking Pokémon and completely evacuate the bus before its engine exploded from a fuel leak. Two students have suffered minor injuries. Wilma is ill-equipped to transport the driver and stranded class back to Fortree. Rendezvous with her and assist her with the transportation.

Your objectives are as follows:

A) Locate wreckage
B) Treat the injured students
C) Secure transport to Fortree
D) Minimize wild Pokémon casualties

Please see attachment for the bus's last-known coordinates. Due to the unstable terrain around Fortree, it is possible that the explosion may have dislodged the bus from the position it was in when its GPS transponder was last working.

Good luck! We're all counting on you.

So much had happened in the last week. Josh had not only become a Champion, but he had fulfilled his dream of befriending Raikou. Though it was a mere shadow of the legendary Pokémon from Ecruteak's tales, he was confident that one day, his "baby" legendary would grow up to be a true force to be reckoned with. This was not the time, though; he had to keep Raikou in his back pocket. He always kept the RAINBOW FEATHER on him, this time its quill tucked neatly between his Ranger uniform and his badge, much like a pin.

Josh sat in Aslan's saddle, the Shiny Pyroar led his entire pride in formation. All ten of them wore similar gear, their seats decorated with the Hoenn Rangers' logo. Josh turned to , a Ranger Cadet that he knew little about other than his short tenure. "This is about as simple as it gets. All we have to do is find the crashed bus, find the class, and get 'em back to Fortree," he briefed the younger Ranger in the event he had forgotten. "Should get you used to working Ranger tickets again."

{PC: 1}

NOTE: All ten of the Pyroar in Josh's PC are present.

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Aslan         Pyroar**       Good
close tab

played by

Bear

Kay
he/him
Seventeen
July 19th
Fortree City
aro/ace
student (private school)
civilian
Single (not looking)
163cm height
163cm height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
181 posts
Knight Naito DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @knight
Knight Naito
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2024 13:39:38 GMT
Knight Naito Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","knight"]
[attr="class","text"]

When Knight had signed up for the Ranger programme through his school, he hadn't expected to be paired with someone so quickly -- or with Josh for that matter. It was surreal to think he could spend more time with the Gym Leader (and hadn't he recently become Champion?!) and learn from him.[break][break]
He knew that it was dangerous too so Knight had thought long and hard about which 'mons he'd bring along. It seemed a good idea to have a smaller number so he could have more control but also type coverage. So that was how Moiraine, Hercules and Lettle got picked to come along.[break][break]
Fitzwilliam would, no doubt, be mad at Knight for not bringing him along but the student was confident there would be more Ranger missions to help with if he did a good job today.[break][break]
"I remember, the briefing stated that the bus might not be in its last known location." Knight double-checked everything but he was ready to go. "At least Fortree is my home turf, so I know it pretty well." Which made him hope he wouldn't be completely useless in this situation.[break][break]
Knight had managed to outfit Moiraine with a glide saddle. Not the most ideal Pokémon, but she was an XL Pelipper so Knight felt comfortable riding her until he got a more suitable Glide 'mon. At least, that small practice with Loot Guard would pay off now.

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

knight is nervous but hopes he can be helpful![break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.knight]--accent:#c75240;[/newclass]
[newclass=.knight]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".gknight .text b"]font:bold 12px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:17px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gknight .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight .credit"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight .credit a"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 5:15:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
A loud purr from Aslan rattled Josh a bit harder than he was used to. It was a sign of the lion king's excitement, ready to lead his pride in an effort to save some lives. It was what Hoenn's Rangers were all about: going into the wilds and positively affecting the lives of both people and Pokémon.

Josh's eyes drifted to Moiraine's saddle; he wanted to catch one and give it a try, but the Gym Leader was tall; even on quite the large Pelipper, there wouldn't be a lot of room to sit. It would be similar to riding a Sharpedo, but in the sky and without a fin to hold onto. "Excellent. I'm more familiar with Mauville than Fortree. How about you lead the way, then? I'm sure you know the most efficient way to get to the coordinates in the briefing." If Knight was too nervous about taking point, Josh would step in kindly.

"When we get these kids back, I have to take you to one of the best Unovan places in the region. It's called the Beautifly and Dustox Bar and Grill." If there was one thing Josh loved, it was Unovan cuisine. Nothing like a burger and a beer... or in his case, a quart-sized glass of lemonade. "Great sports bar. I haven't eaten there in a hot minute. Used to all the time when I was stationed out of Fortree. Then I became a Gym Leader and worked with Mauville closely. Now that I'm a Champion, I help out all over the region."

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Bear

Kay
he/him
Seventeen
July 19th
Fortree City
aro/ace
student (private school)
civilian
Single (not looking)
163cm height
163cm height
awards
181 posts
Knight Naito DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @knight
Knight Naito
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 9:51:23 GMT
Knight Naito Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","knight"]
[attr="class","text"]

Knight nodded as Josh instructed him to lead the way, "No problem." At the very least, he could manage this much. Getting them to the co-ordinates wouldn't be too difficult, if his memory of Fortree and it's surrounding area was still accurate.[break][break]
"Oh yeah? That sounds delicious. Let's celebrate a successful job later." He said with confidence -- it was hard to imagine this going wrong for them. Not with Josh along![break][break]
He waited a moment and, sensing Josh's Pyroar was keen to get moving, started to lead the group.[break][break]
It was terrain he knew the 'mons would have no trouble with, and at least he had the advantage of being airborne. He felt it would help if they needed to scan the area further if the bus had moved. Knight flew in silence, focused on the task he had been given. It was probably ten minutes before they approached the co-ordinates, "We're coming up on it now. I can see rockfall and..." No sign of the bus.[break][break]
But that wasn't a bad thing, since there were obvious signs the ground had been disturbed, so they had a pretty good idea of where to look. Knight timidly guided Moiraine to go a few feet higher and then called out, "I see some injured Pokémon -- I don't know if they are wild or belong to the children." [break][break]
He didn't dare go further as he waited to hear what Josh would advise him to do. Would it be a good to release Hercules and Lettle now?

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.knight]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.25px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".knight h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px[/newclass]
[newclass=".gknight .text b"]font:bold 12px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;line-height:17px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gknight .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 18:59:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Josh likewise observed the collapsed ground, he was amazed that there were only two people that had suffered minor injuries. "They can't have fallen too far," Josh concluded aloud. "There would have been more injuries. Also there should be a trail of smoke from the engine." Surely enough, there was -- in the other direction from Knight. "Aha. Based on the wind direction, it has to be right below us. Aslan can jump that far, but I don't want to squish anyone hidden down there. Nala, Rani, and Vitani, see if you can find a trail that we can use to get them back up, okay?" With purrs that rattled the air, the three females trotted about, on the lookout for such a trail.

"Good eye, Knight," Josh encouraged the young man. "See, we can do this if we work together. There's only so much one person can do on their own. There's only so sharp one pair of eyes can be. You can't underestimate the value of a second set of eyes -- or a second mind to bounce ideas off of."

If Knight were to land and regroup, Josh would have several vials of Super Potion for him. "Take these down to the Pokémon and make sure all their wounds get sprayed. My pride is already hunting for a way to get down to them -- and more importantly, back up."

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Bear

Kay
he/him
Seventeen
July 19th
Fortree City
aro/ace
student (private school)
civilian
Single (not looking)
163cm height
163cm height
awards
181 posts
Knight Naito DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @knight
Knight Naito
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2024 23:39:01 GMT
Knight Naito Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","knight"]
[attr="class","text"]

Knight watched as Josh direction his team of Pyroar and a few of them broke off to venture further down. It was incredible seeing the control and confidence the Ranger had -- it was truly inspiring.[break][break]
With some care, Knight brought Moiraine in to land and let out a relieved sigh when everything went smoothly. Considering it was only their second time flying together, he had to give more credit to her. He took a berry out of his pouch to feed to the Pelipper and listened to Josh's assessment of the situation.[break][break]
And, of course, it was nice to get a compliment as well. He blushed a little but took it with a sure nod, taking the potions that were offered to him. With his next set of instructions, Knight re-mounted Moiraine and took off again. He glanced at Josh before he guided his 'mon to head down to where the injured Pokémon were.[break][break]
The wind slowly shifted direction, and with it came the smoke. Knight used arm to cover his face as they landed not too far from the Pokémon and got to work with healing them as quickly as he could. They were either first stage evolutions or baby Pokémon, which led him to conclude they probably belonged to the students.[break][break]
"Moiraine, carry the Pokémon back up to Josh while I check for any injured students." He held the Pelipper to load the Pokémon into her giant bill and she took off again, the back-draft of which helped to clear the smoke for a second. As soon as he spotted someone, Knight rushed over to help.[break][break]
Hopefully Josh's Pyroar would find a clear path and the Ranger would join him soon.

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2024 3:57:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's pride's search would prove fruitful; while it wasn't easily traversed by foot, there was a trail, covered in fallen trees, that could be navigated from the back of a sure-footed Pokémon. Taking it down to the jungle floor, it did not take them long to find the bus. Vitani yelped as she stepped on a shard of glass. No doubt the entire windshield had been blown out in the events leading to the vehicle's destruction.

OBJECTIVE A: COMPLETED

With two of his three Pyroar returning with their results, Josh radioed to Knight. "Naito, this is Champion Devlin. My pride's found a trail down, but we can't walk there on foot. I'm bringing my whole pride down there to help. Will rendezvous as soon as possible. Any luck finding the kids or the driver? Over."

Returning his attention to the other two Pyroar, Josh asked, "Where's Vitani? I thought she was with you." Through purrs, growls, and other nonverbal communication, the Champion was able to piece together what had happened. "There's little time to lose. Let's go!" Squeezing Aslan's sides, Josh ordered the golden lion to bolt down the trail, relying on the feline's superior footing to keep them stable.

{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Bear

Kay
he/him
Seventeen
July 19th
Fortree City
aro/ace
student (private school)
civilian
Single (not looking)
163cm height
163cm height
awards
181 posts
Knight Naito DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @knight
Knight Naito
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2024 23:13:40 GMT
Knight Naito Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","knight"]
[attr="class","text"]

Knight let out a yelp as the radio clipped to his belt came to life -- right! The walkie-talkie! He listened as Josh relayed information and answered, "I can see the bus and I'm going to approach the scene now, over." [break][break]
He held onto the radio and approached the bus with care, locking eyes with Vitani and he gave the Pyroar a smile, "Josh will be here soon." He reassured her but he wondered why she had stayed behind. Probably something Josh had trained her to do![break][break]
"Josh, this is Knight. I can see the bus now and the group of students. Two are laying down, over." He approached the group and tried to sound as reassuring as possible, "Hello, don't be afraid. I am..." He wondered how to address himself and then cleared his throat, "I am Student-Ranger Naito. My superior, Elite Ranger Devlin will be here soon. Let me see to the injured students." He released his Pignite and Cottonee, knowing they could help distract and comfort the other students while he checked on those with injuries.[break][break]
Kay was relieved to see they looked stable, if understandably hurt and tired, "Don't worry, you'll be rescued soon."[break][break]
Moiraine had landed with the other Pokémon and gently laid them in a safe spot. Since they didn't know if they were trainer Pokémon or wild, she merely communicated for them to stay put while the others returned. The she took off again and headed back towards Knight.

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,936 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2024 20:01:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Whine it wasn't as pungent as jet fuel, the distinct smell of gasoline burning in open air told Josh and his pride that they were close. He reined Aslan toward its source. Just as he turned his head toward the wreckage, he got Knight's reply. "Roger. I have a visual now. Heading toward your position, over."

It would not take Josh long to meet back up with Knight and his Pelipper. The young Ranger's Cottonee seemed to have most of the first aid under control, though the Champion couldn't help but get Super Potion ready to treat some of the smaller injured Pokémon. He could have sworn he lost his hearing for a moment when a child's Whismur let out a loud screech upon feeling the sting of the medicine being applied.

OBJECTIVE B: COMPLETED

Once all the Pokémon had been treated, including a wild Vivillon that Josh had mistaken for a trainer's, he introduced himself. "Elite Ranger Devlin or Champion Devlin, but please, call me Josh. We're here to get you home. These ten Pyroar are our ticket back to Fortree. Climb aboard, and we'll get you back to school."

High-pitched celebratory cheers drowned out wild Pokémon cries, a wild Togetic swooping in a bit too close to Simba and slightly agitating him. "You mean, we get to ride on your Pyroar?" an expectant middle-schooler asked as Josh noticed the bus driver placing a call, presumably to the school.

"Yep! Any of them!"

One of the students was nervous about getting on one of Josh's lions by himself. After some convincing, he managed to get the young girl to agree to be a passenger on Aslan behind him. Astride his golden lion again, the Gym Leader returned to Knight to check on him. "How's everything going over here? Think they'll be strong enough to ride back to Fortree?"

{PC: 5}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights