flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 23, 2020 19:04:19 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","frlastcont"]
[attr="class","frlastconttop"]
[attr="class","frlastcontimg"]

[attr="class","frlastcontlyric"]

THAT LOVE IS LIKE A GHOST. OH, AND THE MOONLIGHT BABY SHOWS YOU WHAT'S REAL. THERE AIN'T A LANGUAGE FOR THE THINGS THAT I FEEL, AND IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, THAN NO ONE EVER WILL. I DON'T FEEL IT TILL IT HURTS. YES, I KNOW THAT LOVE IS LIKE A GHOST.

[attr="class","frlastcontmid"]

Chocolate bubbled, threatening to burst as Bailey pulled the metal bowl away from the heat, off from the boiling pot of water that was ready to spill over.[break][break]

Her kitchen station was a disaster. The sink was filled with dirtied bowls, showing that this had not been her first attempt. In a community kitchen in the League Headquarters, there were trays lined with perfectly shaped confections, and she struggled to replicate what everyone had already created.[break][break]

She chose to work when the kitchen was empty, just so she could learn without prying eyes. How the hell did she manage to do this last year? She cannot recall.[break][break]

They were making chocolates for Valentine's Day, to donate to the construction workers at the Night Market as they worked to revert the damage done from the New Years' Bombing.[break][break]

“Motherfu—” and she would have finished her curse, if not for the sound of the door opening.

[attr="class","frlastconttag2"]
[attr="class","frlastconttag"]FOR

; mission

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[googlefont=Quattrocento Sans:400,700]
[newclass=.frlastcont]padding:0px 0px 35px 0px;border-top:solid 25px #999999;border-bottom:solid 5px #999999;background-color:#242424;width:400px;color:#999999;text-align:justify;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttop]height:50px;padding:35px;overflow:hidden;background-color:#1b1b1b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100px;float:left;margin-right:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg img]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontlyric]padding:5px 0px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:10px;color:#505050;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid]padding:35px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:12px;letter-spacing:.3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid b]color:#eeeeee;border-bottom:solid 1px #191919;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid i]font:bold 10px quattrocento sans;color:#dddddd;font-style:italic;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag]padding:13px;background-color:#191919;font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;text-transform:uppercase;line-height:9px;float:right;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag a]font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;line-height:9px;color:#999999!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag2]height:35px;margin:-10px 35px 0px 0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontpoke]height:40px;width:40px;border-radius:100px;background:#191919;padding:1px;display:inline-block;margin-left:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontparty]float:right; display:block;margin-top:-60px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
Defiance in her flesh, her blood, her bones; written on her soul
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 23, 2020 21:53:08 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar
[attr="class","isratalk"]

Whatever crude word she interrupted was likely a more than fitting reply to the scene Isra walks in on. The one work station that is inhabited is a disaster, and the chocolate in the hands of the other woman seems like it may not be fairing much better.

Her eyes wonder across the work station for a moment, the trays and well made chocolates they were expected to add to. The extra task was another on the list that Isra couldn't understand being asked of her but accepted nonetheless.

"If it's any consolation, I'm good at prep work but horrible at the actual cooking part myself." she offers by way of greeting, she imagines by the end of the night her own station will not fair much better.

The door closes behind her gently, heels clicking against the tiled floor as she walks to a station of her own and frankly, stares at it. She understands where to start, technically, but actually doing it escapes her. "I don't really get why they expect everyone to do this instead of just taking volunteers." she comments idly before deciding to find a hot pad to place on the counter for Bailey to leave her hot bowl of melted chocolate on instead of trying to start her own.

[newclass=.isratalk b]color: #8e4e5d;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
tonight the winds of change are blowing wild and free
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 23, 2020 22:23:05 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

THAT LOVE IS LIKE A GHOST. OH, AND THE MOONLIGHT BABY SHOWS YOU WHAT'S REAL. THERE AIN'T A LANGUAGE FOR THE THINGS THAT I FEEL, AND IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, THAN NO ONE EVER WILL. I DON'T FEEL IT TILL IT HURTS. YES, I KNOW THAT LOVE IS LIKE A GHOST.

She wasn't alone.[break][break]

Bailey felt her mind race, ready to devise an excuse for the mess she had created—until her eyes swept down to see her own state. She accepted that it would be a failed endeavor, if only because her apron was in a similar state; hard-set flakes of chocolate coated the article of clothing, and there was no way to lie about their existence.[break][break]

So, she sighed, and set down her bowl and accepted that there was another thing in the world that she wasn't good at. “Well, that at least makes me feel better,” and her head turned to glance at the woman that had caught her in the middle of this disaster.[break][break]

The woman looked familiar, but Bailey cannot explain why—was she someone that worked for the council?[break][break]

“Um... Yeah. I'm not cut out for this stuff,” and she turned down the burner, having had it set to full blast. “I'm Bailey.”

; mission

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[newclass=.frlastcont]padding:0px 0px 35px 0px;border-top:solid 25px #999999;border-bottom:solid 5px #999999;background-color:#242424;width:400px;color:#999999;text-align:justify;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttop]height:50px;padding:35px;overflow:hidden;background-color:#1b1b1b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100px;float:left;margin-right:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg img]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontlyric]padding:5px 0px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:10px;color:#505050;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid]padding:35px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:12px;letter-spacing:.3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid b]color:#eeeeee;border-bottom:solid 1px #191919;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid i]font:bold 10px quattrocento sans;color:#dddddd;font-style:italic;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag]padding:13px;background-color:#191919;font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;text-transform:uppercase;line-height:9px;float:right;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag a]font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;line-height:9px;color:#999999!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontpoke]height:40px;width:40px;border-radius:100px;background:#191919;padding:1px;display:inline-block;margin-left:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontparty]float:right; display:block;margin-top:-60px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 24, 2020 4:46:25 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"Neither am I." isra chuckles softly, a social pleasantry more than anything. Despite popular belief of the person she speaks with most in the building she's actually pretty okay at people. "Isra, if you would."

The woman watches her turn down the burner, thinking over the technicalities of baking she knows. "Are you supposed to have it that high for chocolate? I believe the water has to boil but not much more than that."

Of course Isra does the same thing, because she gets impatient or get distracted and either way it burns. Instead of lingering on that matter Isra goes looking for more chocolate chips to try again with, because something tells her they may be better off trying again.

close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2020 0:53:19 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

“uhh...”[break][break]

That was an excellent question.[break][break]

Bailey Cooper could only scratch her cheek, accepting in the truth in Isra's question—she probably did have the stove turned up too high. “Guess I was getting really impatient—I've been trying to temper chocolate for like, an hour,” and that task was far harder than it seemed. Getting chocolate to just the right temperature so that it would have a perfectly smooth finish when cooled was... a nightmare.[break][break]

“Every time I walk away from the stove to see how it comes out, it's like I got to start all over again,” and she would hold up one of her confections, just to show the dullness to the sheen of the chocolate.[break][break]

It was malformed, just to add insult to injury.

; mission

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2020 9:18:00 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

Somewhere amidst a cupboard or drawer Isra finds more chocolate chips meant to be melting, the kind that were large and meant to be used for it. By the time she turns around to the other woman she is holding up the botched candies she had been trying to make. Frankly, she'd gotten farther than Isra usually did on her own.

"Mmm... have you made progress from the first try at all?" progress at least boded well. "Maybe two people that aren't very good at this can at least manage one batch that looks right, right?" Isra returns to the station, pulling out her phone which she has become quite comfortable using to look things up on.

A quick search leads her to a page with tips for melting chocolate in as simple a set of terms as she can find. Looking back up at bailey she suggests a course of action. "Maybe we should just get the water to boiling first? That's what it says to do at least."

close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Feb 29, 2020 20:18:50 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

She ate the deformed heart—even if it had looked messy, chocolate was still chocolate.[break][break]

“I've gotten close, but the chocolate dries so fast I have to be quick about pouring it,” and the sight of the chocolate chips told her to turn the burner back on, but to a medium setting.[break][break]

The water was still warm from her multiple attempts. it would only take a minute to get it back to a low boil.[break][break]

“I think having two sets of hands will do wonders, thanks,” Bailey would say as she'd tilt her head, just to get a glance at the recipe on Isra's phone. “I think I would've been trapped here all night.” Or she would have just given up, and left her mess for someone else to clean up.[break][break]

They just had to wait for the water to boil. Bailey knew better than to watch, and would reach for a new metal bowl for the chips to be dumped into. “So, who do you work for?” because that question had been nagging at her. “I know I've seen you around a few times.”

; mission

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Mar 2, 2020 9:47:23 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

There's a gentle chuckle at the frankness of Bailey's action, caught out of the corner of her eye. She can appreciate the sentiment.

"Maybe one of us should melt and the other should be ready to pour it then?" it seemed the most efficient way to make it happen. a sort of tag team effect between the two of them should manage at least a handful of acceptable chocolates. The woman waves off the thanks however, seeing it as unnecessary while she pours the chips into the new metal bowl. Hopefully the extra set of hands will be a good omen.

Her eyes flit to the pot of water, watching for a moment to see if there were bubbles yet before deciding to retrieve a fresh mold for the chocolates, getting it ready. ", I'm his overnight assistant." it comes as no surprise she wasn't recognized, most didn't after all.

close tab

played by

rascal

the volatile
she/her
August 15th
lavaridge
straight
champion
groudon avatar
awards
850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bailey
Bailey Cooper
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2020 6:45:28 GMT
Bailey Cooper Avatar
[nospaces]

"Overnight assistant?" She questioned aloud, wondering what that entailed.[break][break]

"Like, you just work nights?" Bailey would hear the bursting of bubbles, and set the bowl in a position that the melting process could begin. The water had reached its boil. "Doe he just work through the night? Yeesh."[break][break]

Because why else would someone need an assistant for both daytime and nighttime--that was what Isra meant, right?[break][break]

Caught in her mental observations, she only realized that the chocolate has reached its melting point when the metal lip of the bowl felt hot against her oven mitt. A quick glance of the eye told her that it was right at the perfect point.[break][break]

"Oh shit! I guess you're pouring then!" Because the Elite Four member had to scramble for the molds, ripping open doors to the cabinents behind them in a mad dash--this was a time sensitive project.

; mission

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
flare up [m]
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2020 7:14:42 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

Isra doesn't really have time to answer, the chocolate melts while Bailey talks and they only have so much time before it either burns or falls flat again. Neither of them seem terribly keen on spending the night making an even further disaster of the cooking station. Isra leave retrieving the mold for Bailey as the woman barrels through the communal kitchen.

Isra turns to the chocolate, keeping it stirred so it won't burn until Bailey returns with a fresh mold. Her pouring is fast, she does her best to be precise and perhaps looks like she knows what's she doing for a moment.

It's only when the bowl is empty that she looks up at the other woman and answers. "paper work, prep work, stuff to make the next day run smoothly and it's usually just me."

Her attentions returns to the cooling chocolate, they've at least made it further than she ever would have on her won.