6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Conniving Conundrum
POSTED ON May 25, 2023 7:21:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Perhaps moderation was not the proper word," Josh corrected when the Councilman suggested that moderation would lead to mediocrity. Gym Leaders by their nature were far from mediocre. To even get into that position, one had to be special. Tough. Willing to put their lives on the line for Hoenn.

"A better word might be balance. Open-mindedness. Ever since Meteno, I had been so one-tracked. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying I want to completely give up on Raikou; as a liaison for AQUA: Sapphire, investigating leads on legendary Pokémon, not just Raikou, is part of my responsibility for them. I just won't let it control me anymore. Unless you are suggesting I also resign from my position within Sapphire?"

Regardless, it seemed Fernando was losing interest, like he had said his piece. The question took him a bit off guard at first, given he likely knew the answer already. "September 3 is the return-to-work date the League assigned me. I thought you were looped in on that email? Regardless, I cannot wait to get back to my Gym. After killed my Interim Gym Leader, the girl I have running the place now just doesn't have the battle experience to defeat enough of her challengers to make rate. I'm in a bit of a tight spot after losing Shawn. He was Gym Leader material on his own, and one of the first people I hired. And now he's gone."

{WC: 243}
{PC: 17}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Raikiri         Zeraora            Good
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
Conniving Conundrum
POSTED ON May 26, 2023 8:15:07 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

CONNIVING CONUNDRUM

social

“…”

fernando says nothing at the mention of SAPPHIRE. the concept itself is revolting. a bastardization of AQUA, which he has accepted begrudgingly.

then go ahead and return to your position before that,” the councilman says dismissively. “i will handle approval from the league.

but devlin, do find some control over your emotions. watching you have an actual break down in my office over a pokemon that doesn’t exist reflect rather poorly on you, and the fieldwork your represent.

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Conniving Conundrum
POSTED ON May 26, 2023 16:27:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The words that came from the Silph's mouth were simultaneously relieving and confusing. Wasn't the commutation of his sentence strictly through 's oversight? "...That you're willing to stick your neck out for me despite the horrible thing I did shows what kind of person you are. I never heard directly from Accountability, but are you confident you can do that? Also, if you do get approval, could you please do me a big favor and forward it to my League email?"

Josh's emotional lability came up yet again. The electric Gym Leader was prone to emotional flare-ups, and ultimately, it was one of those that got him in the position he was in. "Callan mentioned that when I went to his office to interview for the Champion Assessment. It has taken me a long time to understand exactly what he meant, but... this chat with you has helped me understand who I am as a person a lot. By setting my sights too high, I lost sight of what I had already done."

A solemn nod accompanied the epiphany of his true calling. "I took my Gym for granted. And let's say hypothetically, I could only have one of my Gym or Raikou. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd pick my Gym. I love what I do there, and not being able to do what I loved for months was agonizing. Mauville needs a strong Gym Leader. Not the Leader I was when I was first promoted from the Minor League, not the Leader I was after Meteno, and certainly not the Leader I have been recently. No. They need someone who strives for, but understands they will never actually achieve, perfection. Someone who understands the road to improvement is neverending. Even for Champions, that road never ends."

While Josh had not fully left his past self behind, he was on the precipice of it. "Thank you. You've been a big help. No further questions."

{WC: 327}
{PC: 18}

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
Conniving Conundrum
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 0:23:52 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

CONNIVING CONUNDRUM

social

“TCH.”

fernando distaste is evident at the mention of accountability. this time, it has less to do with and more to do with hoenn’s history. those who keep up with the league’s revolving door can probably parse the essence of his repugnance.

is the commissioner and i am her right hand. our ideologies may differ but our decisions often do not. there is a reason we are the longest serving members of this administration.

he scoffs.

however, this now falls under my jurisdiction. handle your emotions and come to me if you have issues.

his glare is pointed.

do not let me hear about you stepping outside your bounds to go hunt children again. your duties start and stop within the outline of your responsibilities. even if that means inaction in the moment.

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Conniving Conundrum
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 6:15:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Fernando was right; he was practically Hoenn's Vice Commissioner with how much influence he had politically. Josh's frown turned upside down when the Councilman implied he had the sole authority to commute the Mauville Leader's sentence. "Thank you for giving me this chance. I will not squander it. Once I see the decision in writing, I will resume my duties as Mauville's Gym Leader as soon as is feasible."

Though the Silph's frankness may not have been funny in his eyes, Josh couldn't help but let out a chuckle at the man's remark about hunting children. "Oh, you don't have to worry about that. That's a mistake you don't make twice." Every word out of the suit's mouth was wise beyond belief. "The situation at hand sometimes demands doing nothing is better than doing something..." Those were words that would have served him well at the Battle of Dewford. They were words that would serve him well the next time he was on a critical League operation. "Again, thank you. I hope the next time I see you, it is on better terms. You've helped a lot." With that, Josh and Raikiri headed out the door, the Pokémon rider a new man.

{WC: 203}
{PC: 19}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,962 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Conniving Conundrum
POSTED ON May 30, 2023 4:53:28 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: