5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Make the Dream Work [Gym]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2023 1:54:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Alastor's staunchness proved to be his greatest asset in battle, staving off the cold ICE FANG. The stomp was all Josh needed to know a ground-type attack was coming. "Blitz, jump it!" the Gym Leader shouted over the increasingly noisy crowd. Though he had evaded the initial attack, the Luxray landed right on earthen spikes created in its wake, causing him to stumble about from pain shooting up three of his four legs. Each step made him wince, his speed advantage stripped from him and leaving him a sitting Ducklett for Maggie's FAIRY WIND.

Josh had them right where he wanted them. Though the electric feline was moving quite a bit slower than he normally did, it still may have felt quite fast to Aubre and her Pokémon. The sudden move toward Maggie was a feint, attempting to lure Alastor in range of the powerful DISCHARGE Blitz intended to fry both Pokémon with.

- Luxray's speed lets him dodge the main BULLDOZE, but lands on one of the sharp pieces of earth created by the ground-type attack.
- The speed reduction leaves Luxray unable to evade the FAIRY WIND.
- Luxray attempts to lure the two Pokémon close enough to one another to snare them both in the same DISCHARGE.

{WC: 155}
{PC: 8}

NOTE: Aslan is a NON-COMBATANT in this thread. Blitz will NOT use his Z-Move in this battle.

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS 
Aslan           Pyroar**          Good
Reverb          Noivern           KO
Sidewinder      Dragapult         KO
Blitz           Luxray**          Good  

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
I Still Believe, Inside of Me, There's Someone Not Unspoken. Someone Not So Broken.
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
Aubre McKenna-Settentrione
POSTED ON Sept 10, 2023 21:24:59 GMT
Aubre McKenna-Settentrione Avatar
[attr="class","samjertop"][attr="class","samjer"]
[attr="class","samjermain"]The Heliolisk breathed a sigh of relief as the cat and his damnable teeth jumped out of the way. I’d rather not be Swiss cheese. Sorry kitty cat. As the electric-type fell on the spire, the lizard visibly winced. He didn’t have to look behind him to know his trainer did the same. However, Alastor remained where he was at first—wanting to give the guy a chance to give up.

The second he did, the electric-type rocketed toward the cat’s side in another Quick Attack. As he neared, his left hand would be covered with a layer of electric-resistant mud. If connected, he’d try his best to cut his foe’s accuracy with a well-timed Mud-Slap. Smelling figurative blood in the water, the Jumpluff nosedived for the downed feline.

Aubre’s voice—normally so quiet and gentle—cut through the cacophony like a knife.

“No!” The order is surprisingly forceful and only a little panicked. “Stay back, Maggie.” One Ice Fang from the Luxray would be a quadruple hit. And, putting them both in close quarters was just taking too much risk. If it made her a coward, so be it. “Try a Mega Drain, instead!” With a disappointed grumble, the grass type rolled out of the way and returned to the air.

With a cry, she moved to drain the big cat’s vitality.

NOTES
  • Alastor rushes in with Quick Attack (Preps Mud Slap)
  • Maggie uses Mega Drain

[attr="class","samjer","samjertag"]
[attr="class","samjerpoke"]

[newclass=.samjer] font-size: 10px; text-align: justify; [/newclass][newclass=.samjermain] margin: 0 auto; width:350px;background-color:#272727;padding:45px;text-align:justify;font-size:10px;line-height:14px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samjertag] text-align:right;font-weight:bold;margin-bottom: -15px; padding-top: 15px;[/newclass][newclass=.samjermain b] color: #AED588; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samjermain i] color: #69A534; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samjer u] text-decoration: none; font-style: italic; color: #E0F3FC; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass][newclass=.samjer a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 10px Poppins!important; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samjerpoke] width:440px;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat; ;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;margin: 0 auto;margin-top:-10px; background-color: #69A534;[/newclass][newclass=.samjertop] width:440px;height:50px;background-color: #69A534;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:5px;margin: 0 auto;margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 19:11:21 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Both of Aubre's Pokémon were slippery, the Heliolisk's QUICK ATTACK catching the Leader and his Luxray a little off guard and allowing Maggie to get away post-MEGA DRAIN. It was only their teamwork that made the tactic possible, the Jumpluff able to recover a small but vital bit of energy. With nowhere to retreat, the MUD-SLAP to the face blinded Blitz in his right eye, making it more difficult to track the grass-type.

Seeing the end coming, Josh knew he had to play his trump card now. "Your pesky Jumpluff's time is up," he bragged as another cloud of mist floated from beyond the Luxray's jaw. This time, he had the Jumpluff in his sights, though being blinded in one eye gave the grass-type a blind spot to hide in. Would it be enough to avoid being frozen from the inside-out inside the electric Pokémon's jaws powering his ICE FANG?

{WC: 152}
{PC: 9}

NOTE: Aslan is a NON-COMBATANT in this thread. Blitz will NOT use his Z-Move in this battle.

Blitz           Luxray**          Poor  

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
I Still Believe, Inside of Me, There's Someone Not Unspoken. Someone Not So Broken.
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2023 0:39:14 GMT
[attr="class","samjermain"]Smack! Webbed claws smashed into the Luxray’s face—its blue mask now dappled with dark soil. And this willingness to touch dirt was a big show of love. Anyone who knew Al knew that the lizard was a total germaphone. One night too many in Aubre’s graduate-level virology book had been enough for him. Alastor landed in the hardpacked dirt with teeth gritted. His frill was flaring with each labored breath.

Before he could do anything, the cat lunged for Maggie. Blue eyes narrowed as the electric-type hissed. For a moment—showing uncharacteristic deference—his eyes flicked to his sidelined trainer. What now? His face seemed to ask. But there wasn’t enough time for an answer. No extra seconds for hemming and hawing.

The taunt drew a shudder. A swallow. Threads were tugged at the end of her long sleeves.

Should she send her skyward with a Bounce? A Thunder is just as dangerous up there as down here! Go for a U-Turn? That just delays the inevitable. What—oh, shoot! She was out of time. “Maggie! Fairy Wind!” A desperate order breathed out just as the Jumpluff felt the icy breath on her lowest petals. With a defiant noise, she obeyed. Pink particles flew out in hopes of slowing down the impact. And, if it missed, she’d be out.

Alastor, meanwhile, ground himself and unleashed a beam of purple draconic energy at the Luxray’s exposed back.

NOTES
  • Maggie uses Fairy Wind before impact
  • Alastor uses Dragon Pulse

[newclass=.samjer] font-size: 10px; text-align: justify; [/newclass][newclass=.samjermain] margin: 0 auto; width:350px;background-color:#272727;padding:45px;text-align:justify;font-size:10px;line-height:14px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samjertag] text-align:right;font-weight:bold;margin-bottom: -15px; padding-top: 15px;[/newclass][newclass=.samjermain b] color: #AED588; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samjermain i] color: #69A534; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samjer u] text-decoration: none; font-style: italic; color: #E0F3FC; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass][newclass=.samjer a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 10px Poppins!important; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samjerpoke] width:440px;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat; ;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;margin: 0 auto;margin-top:-10px; background-color: #69A534;[/newclass][newclass=.samjertop] width:440px;height:50px;background-color: #69A534;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:5px;margin: 0 auto;margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,986 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2023 18:34:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Maggie's departing FAIRY WIND was the tipping point in the battle, disorienting Blitz to the point where he ran straight into Alastor's DRAGON PULSE. The moment he saw the electric cat walk straight into the wave of purple dragon energy, he smiled toward and raised his yellow-and-black partner's empty Poké Ball. Just as the beam fired, the side judge made his call.

"Luxray is unable to battle. Judges' call: one point, Challenger McKenna. The match goes to Challenger McKenna."

The Gym's platforms began receding into the ground, the redhead's fans giving her a standing ovation for her performance. "Your unique battle style even fooled our judges," Josh complimented once the platforms had sunk into the ground completely, reining his Pyroar steed into a gentle walk toward the victorious challenger. "That's the first time in a long time I've seen a Pokémon feign its own collapse so well. I'm seriously impressed."

Josh presented a closed fist at Aubre's chest level, then opened it up to reveal a well-earned QUICK BADGE. "Aubre, you've earned this. It is the official Hoenn League Quick Badge. Wear it with pride. This Gym has a history of being run by some of the toughest and most successful Leaders in Hoenn. Never forget that."

Once the crowd started to empty from the stands, Josh's smile grew as he reined Aslan close enough to Aubre for her to pet him, if he wanted. "Aslan wants to let you know how much he appreciates what you did for him. You were critical in giving him a second life. Thank you so much. Best of luck with the rest of your Gym Challenge."

{WC: 274}
{PC: 10}

Blitz           Luxray**          KO 

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Aubre
She/Her
February 17
Turffield
Demisexual
Pokémon Doctor
Civilian
awards
345 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aubremckenna
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2023 0:57:11 GMT
[attr="class","samjermain"]Maggie’s attack was her swan song. The Jumpluff fainted from the Ice Fang. But by the time the stubborn thing closed her eyes, the match had already been called. With shaking fingers, Aubre returned the little grass-type to its Pokeball. As her victory was announced, the noise came back muffled—like audio from a blocked radio. It was disbelief. I won? Really? A glance at her husband showed an uncharacteristic smile. He nodded.

Alastor, meanwhile, pumped his fists. It’d been ages since he’d actually battled and it was nice to get the practice in. Taking down a cat twice his size struck him as a pretty cool accomplishment. When the clapping started, he allowed himself to soak in the spotlight like a satellite dish the son.

Aubre, meanwhile, wasn’t comfortable with it. The applause made her flush, Her hands—still clutching Maggie’s Pokeball—vanished into her hoody’s sleeves. Fortunately, Josh’s approach kept her distracted. With a calming breath, she crossed the stage toward him. Just a few steps. Left foot. Right foot. Left foot. All the adrenaline coursing through her veins had vanished like water at low tide leaving her legs feeling like jelly. “Thank you. It was not intentional though—” The last part was a whisper. The U-Turn had been a defensive maneuver, not a strategic one.

“Thank you.” The response to his speech is simple but full of weight. For a moment, there are tears in her eyes. Grieving for a past that’d gone up in smoke. “I think the Pokemon are the ones who deserve it, though.” As if on cue, Alastor appeared beside her, taking the quick badge with a surprising degree of deference.

When Aslan reached her, the woman hesitated for a moment. She imagined flames erupting from his mouth—teeth of heated ivory snapping on her hand like a bear trap. It’s not like that. It’s okay. With a deep breath, she laid her hand atop the dragon’s muscular side. “It was my pleasure. Everyone deserves a chance.” In her husband’s case, they were on the third or fourth one.

“Oh! That reminds me!” Digging into her pockets, she pulled out a small bag of healing supplies and treats. “I didn’t want to leave your Pokemon in trouble—please take these, with my blessing.” Though the idea of treating them herself came to mind, it seemed rather inappropriate—to offer to heal someone you’d just run into the dirt. “And, Josh, thank you.”

She grunted as little arms wrapped around her leg. A gentle hand descended on her shoulder as her husband placed a kiss against her head. “I will see you again, I’m sure.”

NOTES
  • Aubre has acquired the QUICK BADGE

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,806 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2023 3:32:14 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]GYM BATTLE COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: