Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
GIANT CHASM EXCURSION B: Diana/Howard
POSTED ON Mar 14, 2024 19:31:51 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Hm. Hm hm hm..."

Howard and Diana had retreated to the research station they were placed at after felling the Walking Wake. Beating it had been a walk in the park, which bothered the admin. Diana was a better trainer and Regice was a strong Pokémon, but Howard still thought that the Walking Wake had gone down without much of a fight.

He sat at a jeweler's bench that several grunts had set up. Compared to the rest of the high-tech lab, the admin's workbench was remarkably rustic. Computers were at a minimum, and in their place were a series of jeweler's tools.

"They're spreading faster than I thought. This isn't good." Howard looked away from his microscope to jot something down in remarkably nice handwriting. Despite the admin often being scatterbrained, his organizational skills were solid.

"Diana, grab that next Tera Crystal off the shelf. Oh, and get that jeweler's loop."

One of the luxuries of being an admin was that he got to order people around. It almost made the extra responsibilities worth it, if he could get past the fact that most of his fellow admins were insane.

"What do you think of the Terastal Phenomenon, Diana?" Howard asked as he leaned back into his microscope.

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2024 17:11:41 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]Despite their fight being easier than they thought, it was still hard earned. Cadbury had sustained damage she needed to recover from, and WALKING WAKE had chosen to attack Diana out of the two of them. Being targeted by a legendary Pokemon, even in a bastardized-paradox form, was terrifying.

"The structure in the cave - don't you think it would've taken thousands of years to have built to its structural integrity and height?" she asked, thinking back to the heights the tera crystals displayed.

"The chasm split only several months ago. Surely that hadn't been born over such little time?"

Diana reached for the crystal and the loupe he'd requested, handing it over before placing her hands on her hips. "Do you imagine that, perhaps, that WALKING WAKE was a freshly hatched one? It was weak, weak enough that three Pokemon could handle it. It didn't even use any energy to take us down."

She paused. "These paradox Pokemon only appeared around these tera shards and crystalline structures. And I think they get stronger the longer they've consumed that energy. It's only a theory."

[attr="class","dianatag"]
[googlefont="Nunito"][googlefont="Quattrocento"][newclass=.diana] width:370px;background-color:#232323;padding:45px;text-align:justify;font-size:13px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px; margin: 0 auto; font-family:nunito, sans-serif; border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px; [/newclass][newclass=.diana b] color: #A59DED; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing: 1px; font-weight: 700; [/newclass][newclass=.diana i] color: #888; [/newclass][newclass=.diana u] text-decoration: none; font: bold 10px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass][newclass=.dianatag a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass][newclass=.dianatag] padding: 15px 44px 15px 45px; background-color: #2b2b2b; margin: 0 auto; margin-top: 0px; margin-top: -30px; width: 369px; text-align: right; border-bottom: solid 1px #232323; border-left: solid 1px #232323; border-right: solid 1px #232323; border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2024 8:14:10 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"An interesting theory. It's one we can test, which is leagues above the bullshit that half of my colleagues spew. That's the issue with Tera Crystals, and Dynamax, and whatever comes next."

The admin put his pencil in his teeth as he accepted the crystal and loop. He was a remarkably casual scholar, more used to conducting experiments in the field rather than in the safety of a lab. It made for an odd contrast, but it made sense given his attire. Nonetheless, he often refused to wear a lab coat.

Instead, his was draped over his shoulders like a cape.

"But I don't think it's that easy. I believe that the might of whatever we battle is dependent on our perception of it. Tera Crystals draw on the imagination and unconscious of our race. Since it fluctuates, so too does the power of Paradox Pokémon."

The admin shrugged as he leaned in to inspect the next batch of crystals.

"Or not. I'm basing this theory on the fact that Iron Thorns looks like a mecha from an old movie I used to watch." He let out a chuckle. "As for this cave..."

Tap. Tap. Tap. His pen danced upon the desk.

"It should not exist. It's an abomination."

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 15:58:36 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]Diana cocked her head.

"If it did that, wouldn't that WALKING WAKE have been stronger? It was terrifying. To me, at least. When it grabbed Cadbury, I thought we were done for. Especially when your REGICE was too tired to shoot another shot."

Her brow was raised skeptically, as though she was questioning the ice Pokemon's power. However, she merely shrugged.

"Though, I suppose all of that could be tested. But, does that mean you want to encounter another one of those beasts to do so?"

An abomination. Truly, it was unnatural. However, "Isn't there a beauty to it, even though it shouldn't exist? It's almost exotic."

[googlefont="Nunito"][googlefont="Quattrocento"][newclass=.diana] width:370px;background-color:#232323;padding:45px;text-align:justify;font-size:13px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px; margin: 0 auto; font-family:nunito, sans-serif; border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px; [/newclass][newclass=.diana b] color: #A59DED; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing: 1px; font-weight: 700; [/newclass][newclass=.diana i] color: #888; [/newclass][newclass=.diana u] text-decoration: none; font: bold 10px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass][newclass=.dianatag a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass][newclass=.dianatag] padding: 15px 44px 15px 45px; background-color: #2b2b2b; margin: 0 auto; margin-top: 0px; margin-top: -30px; width: 369px; text-align: right; border-bottom: solid 1px #232323; border-left: solid 1px #232323; border-right: solid 1px #232323; border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 18:40:45 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"My Regice has been like that for a while. It's not as strong as it should be."

He said it sheepishly, visibly shrinking into his workbench as he made the confession. Admitting that your Legendary Pokemon was underperforming on the battlefield was something Howard doubted had ever been uttered. He couldn't imagine or or looking him in the eye and complaining about their Pokémon's output.

"I'm working on it." His tone was certain, and he raised a hand. "Don't speak of its performance to other grunts."

An order from an admin was absolute. The hierarchy of authority was something that had to be maintained within Rocket, and Howard's greatest defense was his perception. On the battlefield, mediocrity was a hinderance. An admin who could not fight was practically worthless.

He gave her a side glance.

"They're unique. I'll give them that." They were abominations, born of delusion and scorn. They mocked the very field that Howard dedicated his life to, and for that he would never forgive them. "They're exotic, that's for sure. They're not just another wild Pokemon. These are monsters. They've killed hundreds of our men and theirs. They're not toys."

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 2:16:12 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]"You could be a little bit more polite about it," Diana replied with a bitter edge to her voice, her arms crossing over her chest defensively.

She came to sit down, looking over the tera shard with interest while examined it.

"Even if they are bastardized versions of Pokemon we know, they hold a power we've never seen. They could be beneficial, if we can come to understand them." Her gaze flicked upward to gauge his reaction. Given how negatively he's reacted to them thus far, she'd expect him to disagree.

"No Pokemon is a toy. All can be used for war. I'm not daft, Howard."

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 2:40:39 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"I know that. It's why you're working in here instead of sitting around on guard duty. It's why I asked for your opinion, because it is just as valuable as Walsh's."

She was not daft, but Howard viewed Diana as slightly disconnected from the way things were. He didn't blame her, given her position on the Terastal Phenomenon was similar to many of Rocket's senior members. To them, it was easy to simply proclaim that they'd harness whatever new power emerged for the glory of Rocket.

It reeked of folly. It'd burn them all one day.

"They could be. They will be." Howard agreed with her as he looked up. "But the power they hold is not something to be trifled with. How many humans set themselves ablaze before we mastered fire?"

The dun of pen on paper filled the room as Howard scribbled something onto his report. It was another moment before he continued speaking, his voice slow and deliberate.

"Why do you care about these Pokémon? One tried to kill you, yet you're drawn to it. Why?"

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 2:51:33 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]It was a fire that could not be quelled which burned inside Diana. Unseen, hidden, unbeknownst to anyone except for . had inklings of an idea of her fury, but he didn't know the extent she felt toward his brother or to him.

Despite loving him once and still caring for him, she would use any power she could obtain to bring back what she lost. Even if it meant sacrificing him in the process.

"Then we have to be the torchbearers."

She didn't care if Rocket or the League got a hand on the information of the tera shards first. As long as she had a hold of it, her plan was in action.

Diana met his gaze, contemplating telling him the truth of her desires to know about the paradox they faced. "I see potential for my future in these creatures and the shards. And if we figure out the lock and key, it won't just save Hoenn, but Galar too."

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2024 8:50:38 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Save Hoenn? Galar?"

The admin's lips twitched into a smile for a moment. His eye glimmered with insight as he turned to give Diana his full attention. While his missing eye was covered in cloth, his functional eye was that of a primal predator, much like the Aerodactyls he loved oh so dearly.

"At ease." He didn't hate Diana's way of thinking, for it was very much like his own. The belief in using what existed to bring a brighter future. However, her stance was poisoned. If Diana got her wish, the world would weep. "Diana, listen to me."

Tap. Tap. Tap. The pen he used to write danced in his fingers.

"If you introduce the Terastal Phenomenon to Galar, you will cause a disaster. Nothing good can come from this. The lock is pain, and the key is suffering. The result is the chasm we explore today."

He gave her a look.

"Why does Galar need Tera Crystals?"

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 0:59:54 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]Diana responded with a disgruntled huff, crossing her legs and her arms against herself and turning her gaze away from his prying eye. She understood his reasoning, but she couldn't help but use Hoenn as her experiment.

Galar was truly the ultimate test.

"But with what we know, don't you think we would possibly be able to prevent it from happening? The chasm was born because of one of our own's Avatar ability, wasn't it? There's more to this than just the crystals."

Diana could've gotten whiplash from how quickly she'd looked back at Howard. She stood abruptly, her hands placed firmly against the table as she shoved herself upward. The force disrupted the crystals, teetering on the surface.

"It's none of your concern. I'm taking my break," Diana replied icily, walking away before the admin had a chance to order her to stay. Let her be reprimanded later.

Howard wouldn't understand.

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 1:23:40 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"You really think that one man could cause all of this?"

The admin's voice is incredulous. His expression is neutral, his tone conversational, his eye gleaming. In any other scenario, he looked like just another cheery academic who studied rocks, made jests, and sent grunts out to do menial work all for his amusement.

"No. There is something else afoot. A freak accident, or something planned. Kyurem, Hoopa, Tera Crystals... all of these things merged together into a perfect maelstrom. Our beast's little light display was just the lock."

could take responsibility for cracking open the earth, but the miracle underneath was not his.

"Diana." Howard stood as she stormed off. "Diana!"

The small lab and area around it did not offer many places to hide, nor did it offer too many places to 'take a break'. Howard found her quickly enough. He put his hand on his hip and gazed at her.

"You disapprove."

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 3:07:57 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]No, Diana didn't believe it was just the power of a Rocket beast that brought the tera crystals along. But it was the birth of Area Zero, wasn't it? They didn't know such power was below the surface of the earth until it was cracked apart.

And there was no way that it had formed so quickly in a short amount of time. Right?

Unfortunately, Howard decided to be a CUTIEFLY she couldn't swat away.

"It's not that I disregard your opinion. But I have people I want to protect, and I finally feel as though I have an potential answer in front of me. After years of being helpless, I can see a light."

A ray of hope, to dethrone and bring back peace to Hammerlocke and the entirety of Galar.

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 3:20:47 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"That light is borrowed. If Tera Crystals are meant to represent unlimited possibilities, then they are irrelevant. Mankind represents that far better than a glittering rock on the floor."

The admin sighed and reached into his pocket for a cigarette. With a flash of light, he lit the cigerette and took a drag. He rarely smoked outside of when he was stressed, but since his promotion he found himself lighting up more and more often as the responsibilities piled up.

Never in his life had he related with on such a personal level.

"Tera Crystals sprouted up around Fortree last year. People were displaced, and houses were lost. They are difficult to break, impossible to control, and dangerous to everyone. How do you stop an idea?"

He took a drag, his lungs screamed in protest. If Howard had a right to anything, it was to destroy his own organs. His eye had raised no protest, so long ago.

"When we play with fire, we aren't the ones who get burned. It's the civvies who pay our price. Do you think the people who lived on the land above care about Tera Crystals and glimmers of hope? Did those ideas remain in their minds as Kyurem froze their land and cracked it apart?"

Another drag.

"You talk like a royal."

close tab

played by

red

Di
she/her
september 12
hammerlocke, galar
heterosexual
delegate
grunt
but you know
that you're toxic
5'5" height
5'5" height
awards
192 posts
part of
TAG WITH @diana
Diana Cavendish
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 3:48:01 GMT
Diana Cavendish Avatar
[attr="class","diana"]If she were calmer, it would settle in her mind and make sense. Because everything had spoken to her made sense. Unlike other Rocket individuals she'd met before, he didn't appear to use his authority over others - at least not to her.

But Diana's mind was a minefield waiting to explode. She was a one way track set on a singular goal. And she had faith that perhaps her theory could be proven right.

There was a sacrifice to everything good, right?

A harsh laugh cut through his speech. "You don't know?"

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2024 3:54:22 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"If you think I have the time to look into every single grunt I work with, you're sorely mistaken. Even I can run out of time."

Another drag. He wondered how Diana felt about being challenged by someone as rough and informal as him. He did not have a drop of noble blood in his veins. His ancestors were miners, and before that they were nameless men and women who trekked the plains of a Hoenn unmarred by war.

He was no king. No royal. He was simply a historian.

"You're Galarian. You're a royal. That's all I know, other than the fact that those family trees have turned into family wreaths over the past five hundred years."