6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[S][C/Ollie] Ashes to Ashes
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 5:08:38 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Standing next to with Raikou the Raging Bolt at his side, a teary-eyed Champion stared toward the destroyed Mount Chimney's caldera, RAINBOW FEATHER in hand. It was his last memory of the deceased : a power that he would wield to the best of his ability in the Emergent's absence. An absence that rocked him to the core. "Ollie," he tilted his head toward the Head Ranger with tears rolling down his eyes, "now I know why Kyle passed this on to me. He must have known he was going to sacrifice himself here."

Sniffing, he plucked the feather's quill from his blue Ranger uniform, the Elite Ranger drawing the sacred creature's Sign. With a booming thunderclap, a monochrome Raikou formed from the ashes, its gaze stoic as a rumbling purr left its mouth.

"I only wish you could have met Raikou and Swift under better circumstances, Ollie..." he trailed off, introducing his Raging Bolt and Raikou before going silent. Far in front of them, his vigilant Type: Null, Aleph, was keeping an eye out for wild Pokémon or other threats that would impede his search.

_IW44Gkj Aleph obedience

{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Kairi         Vaporeon       Good
Aleph         Type: Null     Good
Raikou        Raging Bolt    Good
Entei         Gouging Fire   Good
Suicune       Walking Wake   Good
Swift         Raikou         Good
close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
everyone's a sucker for a taste of glory
awards
2,332 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 0:50:32 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollietop"]
[attr="class","littleollie"] was dead.

[break][break] The Champion's death had rocked the nation in more ways than one and although it was a fresh grief that Ollie himself was still learning to deal with, he also knew that there were many others who struggled with it more. To Ollie, Kyle had been a friend. But to others, he had been more than just that.

[break][break] He had been a champion, an idol, a beacon of light in a dying world.

[break][break] Ollie glanced sideways at when he spoke, expression bordering on somewhere between pity and sympathy.

[break][break] "How are you doing, Josh?"

[break][break] For a minute, his eyes grazed the sight of the intimidating form of the Ash Raikou and it's alternate form. But there would be time to marvel at such legendary feats later.

[break][break] Right now, his friend needed him.

[attr="class","ooc"]

[newclass=".littleollie"]--accent:#FFB546; } .littleollie { border-radius:0px; padding:40px 65px 50px; font:12px/15px 'Roboto' } .littleollie b { color:var(--accent)!important; font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; } .littleollie i { color:var(--accent)!important; } .littleollie a { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'!important; } .littleollie u { border-color:var(--accent)!important; } .littleollie .ooc { text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:20px;margin-bottom:-45px; } .littleollie .ooc a { color:var(--accent)!important; font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'!important; text-transform:lowercase; } .littleollie img { filter:grayscale(0%); } .littleollie { border-radius:0px 0px 5px 5px!important;} .littleollie .title { text-align:right; margin-bottom:20px; } .littleollie .title b { border-bottom:1px solid; [/newclass]
[newclass=".ollietop"]width:438px;border-radius:0px;background-color:#FFB546;height:40px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin:0px -60px -50px 25px;padding-bottom:15px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 1:11:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh cuddled Swift, the exposed skin on his face and arms visibly rippling from the Raikou purring in reflected sorrow over Kyle's untimely death. His own tears likewise rippled across the ashen Beast's form, sounding a small hiss as they made contact. "Ollie, when the Great One passed Swift down to me, I was the happiest man alive," he sniffed as Raikou let out another crackling cry, telling Aleph not to go so far ahead. "Had I known that this was to happen... Kyle knew he was gonna die, and that's why he made me a Knight of Thunder, isn't it?"

He doubted Ollie knew the answer to that question. "Sorry to ignore you like that. It's been... really hard without him. I wanted to take all the Champions out to dinner to celebrate that night. , , , . All of them. It's... really hard to get into the Hall of Fame. I should be happy. Thrilled, even."

Josh pat Swift's black thundercloud, the Champion swinging his leg above it to sit on the electric tiger's back. The big cat remained seated, the racer having to flex his legs to keep his feet from touching the ground. "Ollie, he was a mentor to me. He taught me much I not know about being not just a Gym Leader, but a leader. Did I tell you that when I first opened the Racing Grounds as a Minor League Gym, Kyle was the first person to challenge it?"

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,332 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 3:24:49 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","littleollie"] Did Kyle know he was going to die?

[break][break] Or had he just been so devoted to saving , to his cause, to let his life waste away?

[break][break] Ollie didn't know.

[break][break] In fact, Ollie didn't know what he would've done if he'd been put in that position. Sure, he'd been part of the group to rush after — to save him — but would he have been willing to do that at the cost of his life?

[break][break] 'Would you have been willing to do it if it were instead?'

[break][break] "No," he said instead, with a shake of his head. "I get it."

[break][break] There was a lot going on. There was too much going on. Ollie hadn't even had the chance to digest it himself. But he still pushed all of it away, deciding in that moment to put the other first. Because it was what Josh needed.

[break][break] His head tilted.

[break][break] "No - I don't think you did. I'm not surprised though. Kyle led the Minor League for a while."

[break][break] He'd been the one to open with it, before had taken over.

[break]

[attr="class","ooc"]

[newclass=".littleollie"]--accent:#FFB546; } .littleollie { border-radius:0px; padding:40px 65px 50px; font:12px/15px 'Roboto' } .littleollie b { color:var(--accent)!important; font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; } .littleollie i { color:var(--accent)!important; } .littleollie a { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'!important; } .littleollie u { border-color:var(--accent)!important; } .littleollie .ooc { text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:20px;margin-bottom:-45px; } .littleollie .ooc a { color:var(--accent)!important; font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'!important; text-transform:lowercase; } .littleollie img { filter:grayscale(0%); } .littleollie { border-radius:0px 0px 5px 5px!important;} .littleollie .title { text-align:right; margin-bottom:20px; } .littleollie .title b { border-bottom:1px solid; [/newclass]
[newclass=".ollietop"]width:438px;border-radius:0px;background-color:#FFB546;height:40px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin:0px -60px -50px 25px;padding-bottom:15px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 8, 2024 3:41:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was clear to Josh that Ollie had a lot on his mind about Kyle, too. Not directly about Kyle, but what happened that day. "Weren't you one of the last people to see him before he died, too?" he asked, recalling that the Head Ranger was on the list of people brought onto the Mount Chimney operation. "...I've been asking around and I just... I want answers. What exactly happened out there? I know it got really, really hot around Lavaridge that day. I had to close the Gym completely and bring my Pokémon back into their Poké Balls. As it turns out, bringing a hundred and twenty Pokémon into their Poké Balls is a lot of work on its own, heh," he laughed as he took a look toward the crater -- no, caldera.

Memories of the Minor League came back to Josh. How he got more challengers than any recent Minor League Gym Leader since the program's inception. How Kyle recommended him for promotion to the Major League. And now, he had been denied the chance to re-challenge the Battle Arcade.

"Ollie, I have my doubts he's dead. The Great One is his Patron, who once resurrected Raikou, Entei, and Suicune after they perished in the tower in Johto. And they've done it again with Swift here. Not quite in the form I remember, but he's still Swift -- my Raikou." He held the two outer tufts of Swift's thundercloud in his hands, then slid forward. "I have my doubts he truly died. I think he's still out there. And even if he did die for real, his body will give us a lot of clues as to what happened. Wanna hop on Swift with me and survey the caldera?" he offered Ollie a ride on the electric tiger.

{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,332 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
POSTED ON May 13, 2024 7:18:20 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","littleollie"] "I... guess you could say that. But honestly, I didn't see much."

[break][break] Technically, Ollie had been part of the AQUA party that had trampled up the mountain in a feeble attempt to save one of Kanto's heroes, but it has been so chaotic back then that even when had risen from the sky like a phoenix meant to save , it had barely been a glimpse.

[break][break] Like a shooting star that they weren't meant to save.

[break][break] " lost control of Groudon. He - " Almost died, and took the region down with it. "Groudon became Primal Groudon, and we almost lost him as a result of it."

[break][break] For once, Ollie's expression was unreadable, making it difficult to tell if he was embittered by such a ending or relieved by it.

[break][break] On the joke that breached, Ollie found himself letting out an equally empathetic chuckle. He smiled, embracing the other man on the shoulder with a heavy hand.

[break][break] "And we have you to thank for that. You, as well as all the other civilians who helped me mitigate the disasters made to Fallarbor and Lavaridge."

[break][break] Where , and had been left to deal with the eruption up high, it had only been fitting that region's head ranger would rush to the needs of it's people.

[break][break] As speaks of his theory, though, Ollie draws pause. Normally, he's the first to believe in optimism and hope — even as illogical as it can sometimes be. It's his plight as a Morales, the same plight that his sister once faced prior to receiving Rayquaza's blessing.

[break][break] "I don't know Josh," he said after a long pause. "I want to believe that as much as you. But you didn't see it - you didn't see him." The sight of rising out of the black magma rushes through him, making him shudder with the memory of it. It had been terrifying.

[break][break] He shook his head.

[break][break] "But we can go look. I'll take 'Stache," he said, smirking at the end of it. "He'll get jealous if I give some other pokemon attention."

[break][break] The Dragonite harrumped in reply, either in disbelief at Ollie's words or 's audacious offer.

[break][break] "Let's go."

[break]

[attr="class","ooc"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 14, 2024 1:05:42 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
So even Oliie didn't get to see much of Kyle's final moments. Josh knew how strong Ollie's Ranger skills were. If she didn't, then in Josh's mind, the final moments between Kyle and Matias had to be quite private. Being in private with Groudon, especially having undergone Primal Reversion, was something simply not survivable for anyone except Matias.

"I... suspected there was a serious problem compromising Matias," Josh replied. "He was one of the first people that told me he was Groudon's Avatar, and he was one of the first people that I told about my desire to become Raikou's Avatar. After seeing 's trust issues between him and his Patron, and now this, I'm not so sure I would want to be Raikou's Avatar anymore. Swift and I work together so well, and we haven't known each other for long. But I feel like I still don't understand him. What he's like."

Would Raikou be a benevolent god he believed the Great One and the Beasts to be, or would he, like Articuno and Groudon, enslave their Avatars? He loved Swift as he was. To have that kind of power at his fingertips, only to give up his freedom, would not be worth the price. "...Thank you. That means a lot to me," Josh gratefully answered. "After all, there's no one who can evacuate people faster than me!" A mood-repairing laugh came out of his mouth, preceding a smile.

As realistic as Ollie's perspective was, Josh had faith in the Great One. Kyle would be back. The Master of Faster wanted answers.

Josh's offer being declined didn't surprise him one bit. Ollie, of course, had her own preferences. That Dragonite was one of the few Pokémon that could keep up with Swift. Even so, he wouldn't give up on sharing his joy with the Head Ranger. Another day. Just not today. "That's fine! You ever want to experience Swift's speed for yourself, you let me know and we'll find an opportunity." A loud purr rattled Josh's legs up his body as Swift prepared to take off. "Let's do it."

With a light kick to the Raikou's sides, Josh was off alongside Ollie. "About where in the area did you last see Kyle?" he asked, figuring the Head Ranger might have some more clues that could narrow their search space.

{PC: 4}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights