Raptor

Shredder
He/Him
December 25th
Spikemunth
Northeast
Wastrel
Rocket Beast
I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me.
awards
727 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shredzeppelin
Shred Zeppelin
Reshi-RAM [M]
POSTED ON May 2, 2024 1:46:34 GMT
Shred Zeppelin Avatar
How do you solve a puzzle when you don't know what the pieces are?

That's the thought that dominates your mind as you hold the White Stone in your hand. This is what's left of Reshiram. This is one of the few links you have left to the missing Kyurem. This is the sole prize that your sacrifice earned, and even if it isn't truly yours, it's still the one thing that gives your sacrifice meaning.

But, more than that? This is a blank slate. An unknown variable. A question mark. Beneath your bandages, you furrow your brow. What actually IS the White Stone?

Like... What does it do?

Nobody seems to know, so you intend to find out. Course, that's easier said than done, isn't it? It's not like there's buttons to press or switches to flick, no, it's literally just a rock. An extremely valuable and highly irreplaceable rock, so that means that cracking it open is off the table. But there's no point in focusing on what's off the table, is there? No, the better question is, what's still ON the table?

"...Do you think it'll do something if we beam a bunch of Pokepedia pages into it?"

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Reshi-RAM [M]
POSTED ON May 7, 2024 6:31:51 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"That's stupid." Howard's eye rolled to the heavens as he gave Shred a look. "You're stupid."

When had the academic process turned from a well-maintained chain of experimentation, theorizing, and discussion into throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck? Shred didn't even know how to spell academic, as far as Howard knew, and he wasn't even remotely close to a scientist, but his line of thinking was dangerously close to several of Rocket's sharpest minds.

Whether that was depressing or telling on Rocket's science division, Howard didn't know.

"Still, it's crazy to think that this is it. Reshiram." The Dragon of Truth being reduced to a mere white stone was something that happened in legends, but seeing it in person made the admin's eye twitch. It was a rock. He was getting paid to study a rock for once. "This is it."

His words were laden with meaning. The touchy subject of Shred's incineration sat between them like a subject neither dared to reach for. Perhaps this was the time.

"Was it worth it?" Howard blinked slowly. "Was this rock worth fighting for, Shred?"

close tab

played by

Raptor

Shredder
He/Him
December 25th
Spikemunth
Northeast
Wastrel
Rocket Beast
I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me.
awards
727 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shredzeppelin
Shred Zeppelin
Reshi-RAM [M]
POSTED ON May 15, 2024 20:38:50 GMT
Shred Zeppelin Avatar
"Why are you always trying to make me sad, man?"

How many days did you spend in that hospital bed? How many weeks were you confined to the medical bay? How many months will you be stuck eating modest soups? And how many years of surgery are ahead of you? Too many. And you've spent too much of that thinking about what you did and didn't do. You don't have any more introspection left to do.

Leave it to the archaeologist to be stuck in the past. You want to focus on the future. And to that end...

"Look, Reshiram is all about truth and shit, right?" You ask, though you don't give him a chance to spout whatever "smartier-than-thou" answer is resting on his tongue. "And Pokepedia is all a bunch of facts, right? And facts are basically just truths, so, you put that together, pump in a thousand pages per second, and... Shit, dude, I don't know! But what do we have to fuckin' lose? Not like we can make it any more of a rock than it already is."

With that half-impassioned-plea and half-bitching-out, you tap a Pokeball and release your Porygon-Z. At the same time, you pull out your phone, cracked and scuffed and held together by tape and dreams.

"You got a Rotom?"

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,865 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Reshi-RAM [M]
POSTED ON May 16, 2024 8:25:30 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
The meekness of the question made Howard laugh. It was too ridiculous for him not to.

"'Cause I'm fucking miserable! I mine and I smuggle and I steal and I drink and I get paid jack shit while one of our Kantonian friends gets imported Kantonian whiskey that costs half a grunt's salary." Probably or or one of Rocket's scarred war veterans like . "Plus there's this guy who keeps crashing on my couch..."

It was for the best that neither of them mention the Couch Incident. What happened during the Couch Incident would stay confined to the Couch Incident.

What wouldn't stay confined was the look that Howard gave his friend. It was the expression that Howard had whenever he had to send out an email to his colleagues. It was the same expression he had when trying to send a text, or a video, or take a selfie, or do anything remotely technical on a piece of hardware.

Asking Howard Slayte of all people for something that interfaced with machinery was positively stu-

"Yeah, sure. I've got one." He reached for his belt and threw out the Rotom's Pokeball. It buzzed around with the same energy as a hyperactive kid dosed with caffeine. "Take it away, man. If this works I'll buy you lunch."

When hell froze over, maybe.

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights