Zac Ramsay
Tip Top Trainer Talks - Fernando Silph [s]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2021 4:04:06 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

Zac put down the phone, pale from the encounter. That Fernando certainly has a presence. The call had come out of nowhere. An 'invitation' to come and have a 'chat' at the Silph Gym in Slateport. It was a bit out of the way, but there was no way he was about to turn down the offer. Does he just want an interview? He did mention seeing one of my videos...

Hours later, Zac arrived in Slateport, sick from the flying taxi ride. He hated flying, but you just don't leave a man like Fernando waiting. Thankfully, the taxi rank was near the gym, so it was just a short walk to the sprawling, renovated complex.
    As a kid Zac had watched the televised Battle Frontier matches on TV, and it was a strange mix of deja vu and dissonance that greeted him inside. Some of the original elements remained, but now with an unmistakably Silphian touch.
    "I'm here to talk to Fernando," Zac told the polite yet sceptical receptionist. "You can make an appointment if you like, though he is quite busy-"
    "No he called me actually. Just a few hours ago. The name's Zac Ramsay?" This sparked something in the woman's memory, and her demeanour shifted from guarded to heightened 'VIP' politeness. "Of course Mr. Ramsay. My apologies for not recognising you. I will contact Mr. Silph right away." She indicated a ring of plush waiting chairs and picked up the phone as Zac took a seat.

NOTES:
TAG:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2021 10:11:52 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]There are few people worth Fernando’s time. Seldom is it someone he’s yet to meet. But there are always exceptions to the rule.

While not a fan by any means, the video of Ecruteak’s Legendary Beasts is not one that Fernando Silph can idly pass by. Such news is relayed to him the moment it goes viral, regardless of the content producer’s popularity. Once it reaches him, he does his own little investigation. In this case, all he has to do is to reach out to the name watermarked onto his footage.

The Slateport Gym Leader makes his own appearance rather than to usher him in. After several minutes, closer to five than ten, Fernando surfaces from the steel doors of the facility’s many hallways.

Mister Ramsay, I presume?

A hand is held out for their first meeting. Fernando is a traditionalist by heart, whether it be for partners or mere acquaintances.

If things go well, Zac will find himself the former rather than the latter.

Thank you for meeting with me on such short notice. We could have scheduled based off your availability, you know?” Easy to say now that he’s here. The demanding voice on the other end of the phone implied anything but—but that’s just business.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
Pokemon Educator/Vlogger/Biome Enthusiast
See ya later, Feraligatr!
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 4:53:13 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

"Mr. Ramsay, I presume." Fernando's words were polite and welcoming, yet edged with professional rigidity. They sounded to Zac like a metal business card, offered at arms length.
    He was surprised then when Fernando offered an actual handshake. Zac got up and grabbed Fernando's offered hand with both of his own, pumping it with sizzling, nervous energy.
"Got it in one, mate. Zac Ramsay, call me Zac. And can I just say I  love what you've done with the place," Zac said.
    Zac looked into Fernando's eyes as they shook hands, and something about the connection put him on edge. Zac had been nervous a few minutes ago, but the sheer scope of what he was walking into suddenly became clear. He was shaking hands with one of the most influential people in Hoenn. This was Zac's first real brush with a Big Name, and he was not about to mess it up.  
    Non-verbal is key when dealing with Pokemon, and a lot of what Zac had learned over the years applied to people too. It was impossible to know exactly why Fernando had called him here, or what he was thinking, but when dealing with a powerful Pokemon you had to establish yourself straight away. That didn't mean anything so barbaric as a fight for dominance (Zac was certainly not here for a fight), but you did have to make it clear that you were another presence sharing the space.     
    Unbroken eye contact indicated aggression (or lustful intention), so Zac made sure to blink a normal amount. He stood up straight and adopted a more relaxed and indirect stance to show his neutral intentions. 
"Thank you for meeting with me on such short notice. We could have scheduled based off your availability, you know?” Fernando said, and Zac nodded at the courtesy. It seemed that for now the two of them were on the same page. "No worries. I was planning on coming down here anyway, and I'm sure your schedule is a fair bit busier than mine."
   Zac had no illusions as to whether Fernando had watched his interview vlogs. They were by far his least popular series, and he had only filmed a handful of episodes. They were a passion project, if nothing else. That meant he had been called here for some other reason.
    "I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is one of those off the record chats, right?" Zac made no move to get the camera out of his bag. He had toyed with the idea of a covert recording device, but at the end of the day he was no more a spy than he was a dishonest man. The idea of tricking someone like that was as out-of-reach technically as it was morally.     

"Where are we headed for our chat? I'm at your disposal."

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2021 5:26:16 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]For Silph, this is business as usual. He remains cordial until his impression of the other party becomes sour. Aside from that, nothing changes, another routine meeting that barely causes him to bat an eye. As per usual, Fernando breathes meetings and introductions, a staple in his line of work.

But the body language of the receiving end always varies. For those that strive to hit above their weight class, it’s usually a crass lack of respect or a nervous excitement buzzed with self doubt. Someone of Zac’s physical stature holds his own sense of intimidation, if only due to his sheer size, but even he exudes elation.

Using both hands for Fernando’s slightly smaller one is a dead giveaway. Or maybe he’s just built like that. Until he learns more, it’s impossible to tell, but first impressions bleed through even if subconsciously.

The phrase goes right over Fernanod’s head when Zac confirms his guess, accepting the compliment with a slight widening of his smile. “Good, good. I would hate for you to have to make a detour for such an occasion.

He turns on his heel, leading the way deeper into his Gym. “Oh, no, nothing like that. This is between us but by no means confidential. Just be reasonable in regards to what you share and with you.” A quick nod to the receptionist is a subtle phrase for no one else is allowed in but that’s a practiced gesture between them.

Fernando says one thing, the polite thing, but means something else, as per business.

The hallways of the Silph Gym are as plain as day. They serve as nothing more than dividers between battlegrounds, plain steel walls left empty on purpose so as to not distract. They enter the main battlefield and even that is simple.

Welcome to the traditional arena of the Silph Gym,” Fernando states plainly, pointing at the office on the other end. “I can give you a tour or we can get straight to business. Whichever you prefer.

Fernando smiles, “I want to be mindful of your time.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2021 1:19:18 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

“I can give you a tour or we can get straight to business. Whichever you prefer.”

Fernando smiles, “I want to be mindful of your time.”

"I've got all the time in the world for you, mate," Zac says amicably. "Cleared my whole schedule. But I must admit you've got me on tenterhooks as to this chat, so lets start there."
He had calmed down a lot since the foyer. As the two men had shaken hands, an unspoken bond had already been forged between the two of them. Part of Zac's surprise over the handshake was that Fernando had been so willing to create that connection. In ages past, the handshake was a way of showing that you came to the table unarmed. No knife in your hand, and no tricks up your sleeve. Now it was considerably more mundane, but the simple act carried with it the same ironclad promise.
    Fernando had willingly offered his hand, and in doing so had guaranteed Zac's safety within these walls.
    There had been no offer of food or drink yet, so Zac remained a little guarded. Food was the ultimate hospitality. It meant treating your guest as you would family. Not just safety, but nourishment. 
    Fernando was a man of business though, and Zac had not even expected the handshake.
I wonder if he cooks, he thought, as they headed to the room at the far end of the gym. Zac couldn't wait to see what was inside the office of such a powerful man. 

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2021 10:02:15 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Indeed."

Say no more. Getting straight to the point leads Fernando into his office, opening the door to usher Zac in firstly before closing it behind himself. "Some footage online came to my attention recently. Remarkable stuff, really." He gestures at an ergonomic office chair on the opposite end of his desk before taking a seat in his own.

"Raikou, Entei, Suicune. All present in the aftermath of the battle in Mauville."

Fernando's office betrays the wonder and magnificence of their topic. It's as plain as both him battlefield and the halls between them. His desk remains pristine, a docked laptop taking up most of the space, along with his peripherals and a stainless steel mug. His walls remain void of any posters or decor, saved solely for practical use with a wide screen television mounted behind Zac. Contrary to the minimalistic, modern take, a standard conference phone sits at the edge of his desk.

"To catch all three on film is a testament to your camera work or an unrealized blessing at good fortune. I believe in both; I want to know more about the circumstances that led up to it."

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2021 2:42:26 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

The more Zac looked at the hard lines and minimalist decor of Fernando's office, the more he understood the man. 
An outsider could easily mistake the occupant of this office for someone simple, poor, and lacking imagination. Zac knew enough to see it for what it was. Sleek planning and unwavering attention. A single laptop and a screen for larger displays? This man was focused and direct. Like a goddamn laser beam.

"Some footage online came to my attention recently. Remarkable stuff, really. Raikou, Entei, Suicune. All present in the aftermath of the battle in Mauville." Fernando said, as Zac took a seat. 
    Oh. Really? Zac had released the video online a few weeks ago. Almost ten minutes of raw footage, the first eight of which were just bobbing head-cam video as he tried to chase down the fleeing legendaries. Those last two minutes though...there were some seriously close shots of all three of the dogs. Especially Entei. And even one of their owner: Kyle. 
    "To catch all three on film is a testament to your camera work or an unrealized blessing at good fortune. I believe in both; I want to know more about the circumstances that led up to it."
    "Definitely more the latter than the former there," Zac said. All in all, the video had come out...lousy, if he was telling the truth. Without manual focusing, some of the footage was blurry. Though in some spots he really had caught a perfect second or two of each of the dogs. All in all about 20 seconds of the whole thing was usable, but he had dumped the whole vid online to avoid cries of it being fake or staged. Maybe Zac was being too hard on himself, but it reminded him too much of that amateur, 'In search of Suicune' show.

"I was coming back from shooting some footage in Route 117 and going through Mauville this flash of blistering red shot off down Route 110. I followed it on foot, as you've seen, and at the end there was this trainer." Zac stopped short of saying the man's name. The video had cut off just before the introductions, and Zac saw no need to out the other man.
    "As you said mate, it was a spot of good fortune. It wasn't like I did anything to draw their attention, despite my best efforts. I was just in the right place at the right time. Sometimes life is like that, 'ay?"

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 26, 2021 22:58:58 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Fernando is no stranger to humility. He often dons the mantle not because he believes in it but to belie the odd caricature others so gracious affix onto his image. To some, he is a pompous, obnoxious man who inherits his power and fame from his family's silver spoon. Others consider him quite lax despite his titles. The more rambunctious seethe at his possible ties to Team Rocket but their numbers dwindle as they're outed, one by one.

Their varied opinion, all flawed to some extent, provide providence on why adopting such humbleness does good in the eyes of their beholders. Despite his self-awareness, Fernando find's Ramsey's humbleness both palpable and endearing. It does not match the man's stature but that just makes it all the more appealing.

"," Fernando correct, recognizing his personal pick by heart. "One of Hoenn's Elite Four."

He pauses as the name settles on his tongue. There is a good chance that despite their common trait in shrugging off recognition that there is a latent talent hidden, waiting to bloom. He can't smell profit but Fernando is willing to chance some meager pocket change on a low risk gamble.

"Indeed. However, I am willing to hedge a bet against life itself." He hands clasp and he details the contract in his head, scoping out what lines needed divided before offering them on paper. "Are you taking sponsorships, Mister Ramsay?"

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2021 2:22:35 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

Sponsorships meant contracts, and that meant trickery. There was a good reason why the word started with
con.

Zac searched Fernando's face for ill-intent, but found only the detached professionalism of a man thinking about many things at once. Zac appreciated a good partnership. Merging resources and purpose extended the reach of everyone involved. His partnership with Charge-a-Cola had been like that.
    What Zac feared was a jumble of legalese that started with giving away a few scribbles and ended with him running every frame of his passion through some lifeless, fun-sucking 'brand management group' to make sure it captured the 'Charge-a-Spirit'. A sponsorship had meant living with an iron hand on his shoulder. Some steel phantom with a crushing grip that steered his content and whispered 'suggestions' in his ear.  
    That's how it had been in the end, and the thought of pounding a dozen cans a day left a sour taste in Zac's mouth.

"I'm not shopping around, but I'm open to offers." he said, leaving the next part unsaid. From people I trust.

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2021 4:35:20 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Indeed. A good principle to have."

Fernando presents nothing but ideas. This is simply an oratory probe looking to surmise where Zac draws the line. What they draft later can be examines and fixed but there's no point into sinking time into something the other party has no interest in.

"I'd like to purchase your footage," he starts. "Anything of interest we'll draft an offer for a copy of the original file or recording—not to say we own it or you can't present it. I would just like to have a hard copy as well should you decide to rescind your own public recording. We won't be showing it or hosting it, more of a personal collection for myself and our studies at Silph Co."

The fact he doesn't mention the League is intentional. A paid contract, one under his own name, belongs to him and himself only.

"Unrelated to that, it would be nice to have you produce and host some footage for us as well. Sponsored contact will be sent and contracted out at an individual basis," mostly because Fernando's come to terms with producer burnout. Small to medium name content providers have often lost their will to work after being subjected to corporate shilling. Leaving it up to their own basis tends to work out better in the long run. It's how he manages 's career and tracks.

Fernando turns his hand over as if considering how to phrase his last offer.

"And, in that same vein of thinking, we're always open to 'buying out' footage. If you're short on funds, or don't think a certain topic matter won't take off, we can offer a price under a legal contract that it's never to be distributed. Depending on the subject matter, anyway."

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2021 3:47:34 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

The deal sounded good. Very good. Bordering on too good, but if Fernando was trying to trick him then Zac had yet to spot any rope or sleight of hand. "So three parts then," Zac said, holding up three fingers to summarize. "Give you a hard copy of the good stuff, sell it exclusively to you for more cash, and a bit of contract work."
    Get paid to do what he was already doing with some optional extras? He wanted to agree out of principle, but experience told him to dig further. The Dwebble is in the details, he told himself, mulling over some follow-up questions. What may look like a nice beach rock can turn around and bite you if you're not cautious. 
    "What sort of contract work are we talking? More legendary footage?" he asked, pulling out a worn pad filled with colored sticky notes and glued in scraps of obscure magazines. "You mentioned a sponsorship, which usually entails resources up front. I'm not worried about initial funds but I'm also not a fan of going into anything blind." Zac sensed something more useful than money. Information. In a way, that seemed to be exactly what Fernando was after. This man was richer than god and he was going to throw money at a question until answers fell out. Could you really bribe the universe like that? "If you're sending me out chasing creatures of myth, can I expect a briefing, or access to existing information you have?"

Zac flipped to a page at the back of his diary. It was a list of legendaries and what was known about them. Not the stories, but what was concrete. It fit onto one page. There had to be more, and he was sitting across from the man most capable of filling in the glaring blanks.
    "If you're wanting my best work, I'll need you to bring me up to speed."

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2021 9:40:41 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“There different parts,” Fernando corrects with a polished smile. “They’re not mutually exclusive and will have their own, individual terms. There may be some overlap if you find all of it agreeable but I would advise you to consider them as their own entities.

As to what Fernando has in mind, even he’s not sure, explicitly. There are some rough ideas he has but nothing that concrete. This is more in line with casting a wide net into the ocean just to see what gets tracked in.

That would be ideal but each request is prone to be different. Each one will be contracted out so you can accept and deny as you see fit.

Fernando clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth, eye averting to the side for a moment as he recount several instances. “Details will be presented with the contract as well as the requirements and information provided. Something as mundane as just recording every attempt at least year’s Pokeathalon would have provided some concessions and payment up front.

When Zac hits the nail right on the head, Fernando can only chuckle, shaking his head dismissively, as if the suggestion is too lofty. “Well, I would certainly be open to buy any footage you have of any Legendary Pokemon you encounter but I can’t very well send you off on an aimless goose chase.

The gap between what he knows and the general public does could fill their coffers and more.

Any Legendary Pokemon I know about is already in the trusted hands of the League.

close tab

played by

D-Bug

The Robust
He/Him/His
Twenty-Eight
October 30th
Bevaridge Town
Biomesexual
awards
1,591 posts
Zac Ramsay DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zac
Zac Ramsay
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 1:56:03 GMT
Zac Ramsay Avatar

ZAC

t42 - Fernando Silph
Slateport | social

MUSIC

Zac nodded as Fernando expounded on the deal. "Three separate contracts? Sounds complex, but I expected as much from a man like you." It sounded like this setup had been brewing for a while. Maybe this was the regular setup for Silph contractors. 
    “Any Legendary Pokemon I know about is already in the trusted hands of the League.” Fernando said, when Zac asked about advance information. "Damn. Well it is what it is," replied the redhead. It wasn't what he had wanted to hear, but it was what he had expected. "No problems there mate. Just thought it was worth asking. Either way, from what you've said I don't see any burs or snags."
    He stuck out a hand for Fernando to shake. Pen and paper were brittle and flimsy when compared to the simple, solid contact of a barehanded bargain.
 "You've got a deal, Fernando. Now how about that tour?" 

NOTES:
TAG
:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Feb 22, 2021 6:41:57 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Fernando can't help but strum a laugh at the other man's disappointment. "If that wasn't the case then I'd be out there looking for them myself." Much like Zac, Fernando's aptitude for jumping into the wild, when needed, is second nature. The only question is when does the situation merit such a need? In the case of an event as weighty as a Legendary Pokemon the answer is always.

Satisfied, Fernando takes the handshake with firm vigor and a the smacking sound of fingers clasping around the backside of his palm. "Indeed. Pleasure's mine." The amicable mood is held and carried behind a warm smile, one that sees little value in such sentiments outside of fitting in. Playing nice tends to hold up much better than the alternative.

Anything for a good cut of the deal.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,784 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Feb 23, 2021 2:53:27 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: