he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Convalescent Consumption (Social/Open)
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 20:44:28 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Could you pass some salt, Dancer?” Hideo asked, quickly finding a salt packet pressed onto his open hand. “Thanks!

Hideo was seated at a table in a little fast-food joint within a Pokemon Center, his shiny Gardevoir sitting across from him. The Hoenn Star Tournament was still going strong, and Hideo was still planning to get a lot more fights in - later. For now, he was taking a break, getting a bite to eat while he let his battled-out Pokemon be healed by whatever weird tech the Pokemon Center had.

The first couple battles being crushing losses were a bit demoralizing, but he had a string of victories afterwards that helped raise his spirits. Though those fights did leave Elga and Rocky pretty roughed up, and they needed some treatment. Pom he included too for good measure, even if her fight went more smoothly.

So he’d pass some of the time eating some nutritious fries and hamburgers. His mom had given him a healthier meal for lunch, but he felt like getting something nice for himself. And Dancer, who also had her own burger and fries to go through.

@open

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
Gonna dig this hole until I fall in. Until there is no end. Until there is no anything.
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 17:07:34 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","dangerhead"]

[attr="class","dangerbody"]

[attr="class","dangericon"]

[attr="class","dangertxt"]
It had been chance really that he noticed the stripes of Hideo's shirt through the windows of the burger joint. It wasn't often he partook of burgers, though not because he disliked them. It was more that his stomach just desired finer meals. Or junk food. Mostly junk food. None the less, he hobbled inside with the banette in attendance.
[break][break]
Of course, Epitaph was tucked away within his shadow as per usual.
[break][break]
''Yo Hideo,'' he said as he approached the table. Marion hopping around his trainer, zipper jiggling obnoxiously as he flailed his overlong arms in an excited greeting. It recalled the younger boy was much more generous with his affection and attention than Andy was, so he thought to shamelessly beg for it whenever he saw him.
[break][break]
''Mind if I join you? I could stomach a burger.'' It seemed unlikely that the other boy would say no, but perhaps he had planned some quality time with his gardevoir. To Andy those psychic types always seemed temperamental. At least it wasn't the hatterene though. Last thing he needed with everything else going on was to destroy a cafe in a grudge match.

[attr="class","dangerfoot"]

[attr="class","dangertag"]

[attr="class","dangernotes"]

--

[attr="class","dangercredits"]cyan of pixel perfect

[googlefont=Raleway:500][newclass=.dangerhead]width: 500px;height: 150px;background: url('https://i.imgur.com/UsWyrNt.png');border-bottom: solid;border-color: #262626;border-width: 10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerbody]background: #2b2b2b;width: 420px;padding: 40px;position: relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangertxt]color: #ededed;line-height: 21px;text-align: justify;margin-top: -15px;margin-left: 12px;border-left: solid;border-width: 1px;border-color: #212121;padding-left: 20px;padding-bottom: 30px;font-size: 11px;font-family: Raleway, sans-serif;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangertxt b]color: #2e8b57;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangericon]transform: rotate(45deg);-webkit-transform: rotate(45deg);-ms-transform: rotate(45deg);border: solid;background: #262626;border-color: #262626;border-width: 4px;left: 23px;top: -35px;max-width: 50px;max-height: 50px;position: absolute;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerfoot]margin-left: -40px;width: 500px;height: 5px;padding-top: 15px;border-top: solid;border-width: 1px;border-color: #212121;color: #ededed;font-family: Raleway, sans-serif;font-weight: 500;font-size: 9px;line-height: 13px;text-align: justify;position: relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerbody ::-webkit-scrollbar]width: 3px;background: #212121;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerbody ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb]background: #c4c4c4; [/newclass]

[newclass=.dangernotes]width: 200px;height: 28px;overflow: auto;padding-left: 20px;padding-right: 5px;position: absolute;left: 260px;border-left: solid;border-width: 1px;border-color: #212121;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangertag]width: 200px;height: 28px;overflow: auto;left: 30px;padding-right: 5px;position: absolute;text-align: center;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangertag a]color: #2e8b57;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangercredits]margin-top: 6px;margin-left: 420px;font-family: raleway;font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 19:14:29 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo could hear the jingling as soon as Andy entered the building, though he didn’t know exactly who it was until the other boy walked over and greeted him. “Sup, Andy?

He immediately got a confused sensation - no doubt from his Gardevoir’s Telepathy. This was her first time meeting him, and she was cautiously observing Andy and his Banette, burger in her hands. “It’s alright, I know him,” Hideo said, which was enough to bring the Gardevoir’s attention back to something more important; eating her burger.

Yeah!” Hideo said, shoving another kalos fry into his mouth, “You can pull up a chair or two and join us.  I’m just killing time anyways, waiting for my Pokemon to get healed up. We’ve had a lot of tough battles, so I’m getting some lunch in before the next bunch.

His Gardevoir took a huge bite out of her burger, dripping ketchup on her tray. “Got some for Dancer too, ‘cause she wanted something.” Hideo took a moment to take a bite out of his burger too, though he was careful not to let anything spill out. “So how ‘bout you? You just here for lunch?

He put his burger back down, letting his hand dangle so the Banette could reach it - so he could tell where to find him.

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
Gonna dig this hole until I fall in. Until there is no end. Until there is no anything.
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 2:34:50 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

''Something like that.'' The vague answer was provided as he pulled a chair out to have a seat. Withdrawing his phone from his pocket, he quickly searched up the app for the burger joint to place an order right from the table. The banette was already nuzzling the other boy's hand underneath like it was depraved of any and all attention.
[break][break]
''I've seen you've been having a fairly rough go of it.'' Normally he wouldn't have cared to observe a tournament of almost any kind. The sensational stadium battles in Galar had made almost anything else seem mundane. Since he had friends in this however, he kept his eyes on any television broadcast or livestream he could find.
[break][break]
''Been having trouble getting a match. Don't know if the League's black balling me because of the bollocks at Fortree or the fact that I've cussed out two Silphs at this point.'' While Fernando had come and gone, he hadn't realized initially that was also a Silph, as well as an Elite Four. Perhaps he should have paid more attention to hierarchy.
[break][break]
''Starting to think there's more Silphs in this region than bloody Galarians.''

--

[googlefont=Raleway:500][newclass=.dangerhead]width: 500px;height: 150px;background: url('https://i.imgur.com/UsWyrNt.png');border-bottom: solid;border-color: #262626;border-width: 10px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerbody]background: #2b2b2b;width: 420px;padding: 40px;position: relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangertxt]color: #ededed;line-height: 21px;text-align: justify;margin-top: -15px;margin-left: 12px;border-left: solid;border-width: 1px;border-color: #212121;padding-left: 20px;padding-bottom: 30px;font-size: 11px;font-family: Raleway, sans-serif;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangericon]transform: rotate(45deg);-webkit-transform: rotate(45deg);-ms-transform: rotate(45deg);border: solid;background: #262626;border-color: #262626;border-width: 4px;left: 23px;top: -35px;max-width: 50px;max-height: 50px;position: absolute;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerfoot]margin-left: -40px;width: 500px;height: 5px;padding-top: 15px;border-top: solid;border-width: 1px;border-color: #212121;color: #ededed;font-family: Raleway, sans-serif;font-weight: 500;font-size: 9px;line-height: 13px;text-align: justify;position: relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerbody ::-webkit-scrollbar]width: 3px;background: #212121;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangerbody ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb]background: #c4c4c4; [/newclass]

[newclass=.dangernotes]width: 200px;height: 28px;overflow: auto;padding-left: 20px;padding-right: 5px;position: absolute;left: 260px;border-left: solid;border-width: 1px;border-color: #212121;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangertag]width: 200px;height: 28px;overflow: auto;left: 30px;padding-right: 5px;position: absolute;text-align: center;[/newclass]

[newclass=.dangercredits]margin-top: 6px;margin-left: 420px;font-family: raleway;font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 15:11:11 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo playfully scratched the Banette’s head. He never expected one of Andy’s Pokemon to be so touchy-feely (save for his uncle-Yamask, but he was stuck at Andy’s house), but this one was nice and soft so he didn’t mind it.

Hideo put his burger down when Andy mentioned having watched his matches. He didn’t recall anyone mentioning that Andy was watching them in-person, which meant...oh Arceus, there were probably recordings of him getting thrashed by and .

But he wasn't going to wallow in the negative. “Oh. Yeah, it was rough at the start. I hope you got to see some of my wins too.” Narrow wins, but wins nonetheless. Not to mention a win against ; that one had him surprised. Would’ve even gotten him a badge if he didn’t already have Doug’s. “It’s my first tournament anyways. First times are always rough, or so I’ve been told. And I still got more wins than losses, so there’s that.

Hideo jammed a few fries into his mouth as Andy explained his misfortune. He didn’t know much about what happened at Fortree beyond Rocket doing some stuff there, but everyone knew about the Silphs. “...wait, you’ve met the Silphs in-person?” Hideo asked. “And you were swearing at them? What’s up with that, Andy?” He knew doing that would pretty much be career suicide.

For someone trying to be a Professional Trainer, anyways. He was pretty sure Andy wasn’t planning on being one, but still.

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 21:07:26 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

Surprised was he as well at the blind boy fairing so well against . Then again, the gym leader was the type to pull punches, not that he would openly suggest that's what had happened. Doug had to know most of what Hideo could bring to the table at this point. Hell, Doug probably had a good feel for most of his own repertoire.
[break][break]
Though being a ghost type trainer made that fairly trivial.
[break][break]
''You'll have a litany of wins under your belt before you become a gym leader yourself, Hideo. I'm sure of it.'' May as well go ahead and toss another log onto the collective blaze of encouragement. However the boy had curiosities of his own that steered the Galarian to darker, but more familiar environs. The chair creaked as he leaned back into it, crossing his arms.
[break][break]
''Two. I don't know how many there are, but it's too many.'' Curiously insofar as he understood, Fernando had no children. Andy couldn't help but wonder if that was because he was intensely unlikable, or if he was just shooting blanks. Perhaps he would ask next time he saw the man. Hideo's question made him wonder if the boy thought he went on profanity laced tirades for sport.
[break][break]
Which he did, but that was beside the point.
[break][break]
''Because they're outlandishly and unabashedly corrupt, Kino.'' His hands went it in an exaggerated and exasperated shrug. It was wasted, but Andy was nothing if not a creature of passion. ''They use their power and authority to do as they like without regard for rules or recourse. I guess their deep pockets keep them from being held to account in any meaningful way.''
[break][break]
He could go on at length, but he was doing his best not to.

--

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 23:32:47 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo smirked at Andy's mention of him being a gym leader, putting down the fries he was about to stuff in his gob. "Gym leader? Nah, Andy, I wouldn't stop there; I wanna be Champion!" There was no irony in that statement, pointing a grease-covered finger to the ceiling; he well and truly wanted to be the best trainer in Hoenn, the kind of person Gym Leaders wished they could be.

As for why Andy ranted at the Silphs...Hideo wasn't sure how to respond. "That's, uhhhh...wow." His confident ceiling-pointing finger dropped down to the table. He didn't immediately doubt Andy, that maybe there was some fuckery about with wealthier people...

But he also heard about conspiracy nuts that believed everyone with any kind of power were corrupt in some way. Heck, he even remembered Andy saying there was a conspiracy after him, getting all paranoid just because Hideo won some games.

Hideo wasn't planning to find out if Andy was truly a nut or not. He'd just drop it for now, change the subject to something less touchy, even if he really wanted to know how Andy got into a conversation with two Silphs - and what lead to him cussing them out in particular.

Well, I’m sure you’ll get a match sometime.” It hadn’t been that difficult for him. "I guess I could try helping you set up some matches. They may be full today, but this tournament's gonna be going on for a bit."

He grinned - a bit forced. “Maybe we’ll end up battling each other? Or we could work together, ‘cause tag battles are a thing.  But hey, I already battle one of my teachers~

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 21:06:25 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

''Champion, eh?!'' The announcement of such a lofty goal distracted him from thanking his server as she sat down a double bacon cheeseburger. Payment had been made through the app. Admittedly however, it was a future part of him would like to see. Logic always seemed to sideswipe idealism in the end though.
[break][break]
''I think you'd make a smashing champion, mate. But the last I checked that post has a high mortality rate.'' As much as he didn't doubt Hideo's abilities, he rarely saw the kid fighting off the same gods and demons that he was, and even then had him well beaten in that regard. Thinking practically, Doug would make as good a champion as any.
[break][break]
Also a future he wouldn't disagree with. Perhaps either would even dissuade him from burning the League to the ground himself. Deftly shifting away from the Silph topic didn't escape Andy's notice either. For an eleven year old, it struck him that the boy was developing a high amount of tact. As much as he desired to claim responsibility, he was likely the least tactful person in Hoenn.
[break][break]
At least he could always serve as a bad example. Sometimes knowing what not to do was just as important as making the right call. Not much time was spent dwelling upon it. The suggestion of a battle of their own, or a tag team battle merited much more attention. A genuine smile creased his features, not that Hideo would notice.
[break][break]
''I'd like that. Either one. Or hell, why not both? You said this was going on for a while, yeah?'' Punctuated with an 'mnph,' Andy took a huge bite out of his burger. The banette nuzzled Hideo's hip meanwhile, enjoying being absolutely spoiled. Most of the time his own trainer just got him hurled into a forest rather than anything good.

--

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2021 1:56:32 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo grinned. Andy sounded pretty impressed by his declaration - even saying he’d be a good champion.

Hideo wasn’t slowed down by Andy’s mention of their recent death rates. He didn’t even stop taking a bite out of his burger. “Well, thanks for the vote of confidence,” he said, chewing. Champions putting themselves at risk a lot - a few even dying in the past few years - was a point his parents tried to use to convince him not to be one. It never deterred him. “I’ll make sure to be careful when I become Champion. I already got a lot of tough Pokemon with me.

Hideo fully smiled when Andy sounded excited about a potential match. With his free hand, Hideo brushed against the Banette’s head, his other hand going for his drink. “They want us fighting a whole bunch of different trainers. I think we don’t get as much credit if we battle the same person over and over, so if we’re gonna do something, it’ll probably just be one thing.

Buuuuut nothing says we can’t do it anyways. Or just do it outside of the tournament.” He took a nice, big sip of his soda. “Not like we even need a reason to battle. We could just do it whenever or wherever...maybe not inside your house though.” He put the drink back down. “Or mine.  My parents would kill me if I battled near my house.  Even the backyard's off-limits.

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 2:53:43 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

Admire Hideo's confidence as he did, it was certain that the last champion also had a slew of top tier pokemon. It hadn't helped. This was Hoenn after all. There was no limit to the outrageous curve balls the region would throw at you. We're things more chaotic here, or had he just never paid attention to strife before as he had been a young child?
[break][break]
No. They're were definitely no alien invasions back in Galar. There was little time to chew on it however. The other boy was dashing his hopes of testing his mettle against him and also fighting at his side. A snicker was surpressed through a mouthful of food as Hideo warded them away from battling in his aunt's lavish home. As if he cared if it got wrecked.
[break][break]
''You know, I'd never considered taking you on.'' Perhaps a protective role had been assumed without even he noticing himself. It wasn't in the same vien as Doug. Perhaps the fun mischievous older brother as opposed to a proper dad that was all about the best behavior. Swallowing another chunk of his surprisingly tasty burger, he was warming to the notion.
[break][break]
''Guess we better get on with it sometime. Who do I need to talk to to make it happen?''.

--

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 23:50:42 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Really? What, scared of losing to a blind kid?” He couldn’t hold back that smirk, no matter how much he wanted to. “Pretty much everyone battles each other at least once. In a Pokemon battle, I mean. Least that’s what I was told trainers do. Most Pokemon are supposed to like battling each other, so they’ll be fine doing it for fun. Isn’t that right, Dancer?

The Gardevoir sitting across from him had been midway through chugging her fries down, only pausing and looking down with a half-stuffed mouth at her trainer’s question. Even if she could speak, it wasn’t like either trainer would understand her. Best she could do was Telepathically shrug, giving Hideo a sense of indifference. “Well, they’ll do it if we ask. As long as nobody’s badly hurt, it’s fine.

Hideo took another bite from his burger, chewing it over as Andy asked about admission. His free hand still found itself with the Banette, lightly scratching the back of his neck.

Shouldn’t be too hard,” Hideo said, swallowing his burger chunk. “Just about any official can do it if they ain’t busy. Might be a day or two ‘till you start doing arranged matches, but there’s also an app you can use if you just want a random match. It doesn’t always get you something quick, and it’s kinda hard to prepare for a fight that way, but it can work.

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 3:02:33 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

''Tch.'' A scoff escaped at such an assumption, in jest though it was. That being said, his track record hadn't been great. Even all the way back to Galar, although in those days his grand total of two pokemon didn't leave him a lot of options. While now he had many more, Hideo well knew he was a ghost type trainer.
[break][break]
Hideo mentioned a phone app, and for a moment a wonder passed through Andy's mind at how he interacted with such technology. Text to speech could surely only take one so far. It wasn't something he felt was important enough to derail the conversation over however. Another time.
[break][break]
''I can specifically request you, eh?'' Taking a confident bite of his burger, he talked and chewed open mouthed. ''I'll see about getting it done then. Gauge the potential of the future champion of Hoenn.'' While not entirely in jest, part of him still hoped it was a future that wouldn't come to pass.

--

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 13:34:27 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo once again went at his drink, noticing Andy didn’t seem too amused by his joke. He knew better than to try and push it further, or to outright say he was sorry about it; he felt like Andy wouldn’t respond well to either.

You can request specific people, yeah, though just if those people are open to more battles. May be a bit before we get an arranged match, ‘cause I got a lot of matches lined up.” Helped that he signed on pretty early, so he got a lot of early spots. Also that he wanted to get a lot of matches.

May have also helped that he had , a gym leader, sponsoring him. Probably got him higher priority for getting matches.

Only problem was some days just weren’t letting him do any battles, even if they were tournament days. He had a feeling that was also because of Doug, or even his parents. No way to know for sure, and no way to really get them to lighten up even if he knew who was responsible.

But I’m sure we’ll get to battle each other sometime. And even if we can’t battle in the tournament, nothing says we can’t just do it on our own.” He knew some arenas around Slateport that allowed battles at pretty much any time, outside of events. Most were legal too. “I’m sure you won’t have to wait ‘till I’m Champion to get a match~

close tab

played by

Sovetskii Soryuz

Little Bastard
He/Him
Fourteen
June 6th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Trainer
Ace Trainer
awards
615 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sov
Andy Blackadder
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2021 0:52:01 GMT
Andy Blackadder Avatar
[nospaces]

Sucking soft drink through a straw, he raised an intrigued eyebrow at the mention that Hideo had a lot of matches lined up. While there wasn't much doubt, if any confirmation was needed that the kid was serious about taking up the champion title, there it was. Seemed as if he was spoiling to hone his craft to the point of martial gluttony.
[break][break]
''A lot of matches?'' Setting the drink down, he couldn't resist ribbing him like Hideo had just before. ''You've gotten too important for the guy who saved your life once, eh?'' Rare was it that the Galarian found it necessary to lord a past nicety, rare as they were, over someone's head. If there was an exchange to be made, it was established beforehand.
[break][break]
Rarely did he expect any reciprocation.
[break][break]
''You're right about that, I suppose,'' came the agreement to the observation that they did not need some special event to pit their pokemon against each other. ''Maybe every dance lesson should start coming with a free ass whipping.'' A facetious grin graced his face. Hopefully Hideo would hear the intent within his voice since he couldn't see him.

--

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,428 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2021 22:44:39 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo had to put his drink down, else he may have shot some soda out his nose from a short. "Naaaaah. Even when I'm Champion, I'll make sure to make time for you. Gotta make sure I'm good at battling and dancing when I'm up top." Plus, he liked hanging out with Andy; Andy was a welcome change from the people he usually hung around, with his brutal honesty and sharp tongue. "I just don't get a lot of chances to battle trainers, and I gotta get a lot of practice in if I want more badges."

Hideo shoved the remainder of his burger in his mouth, gracelessly chewing it up and swallowing. He didn't realize there was some ketchup on his cheek until his Gardevoir reached over with a napkin and wiped it off for him. "And Doug told me we can get badges from battling gym leaders in this. I know you don't care much for them, but I can get my second if I get the chance."

Though the way Doug explained it, it sounded like he could every badge in this tournament. A brief chat with an official clarified it would only be one - no skipping (most of) the gym circuit. But progress would be progress.

As for some non-tournament pre-dance duels? "Well, if you insist," Hideo said, smirking, "we can do a battle before every dance. But I dunno if you're gonna want to dance when your butt's so sore!"