Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 5:37:09 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
Three hours into his search and Roman still hasn't found his uncle. Or anyone willing to part with a phone charger so he could call him.

He fucking hated this city.

"Po, we're leaving." the Rockruff barked at his side. All this time alone (aside from ), and the two have become inseparable. To think, just a month ago, he wanted nothing to do with the canine.

Storming down the sidewalk, hands in his pockets, the young man landed before the one person he didn't want to see.

His dad.

Emerald greens watch the cement rather than the path ahead. The same mistake Roman made earlier. It's Po that notices a collision in the making. Tail wagging frantically, he barked and bound full speed ahead. Rising to his hindlegs, Rockruff pressed his paws onto 's right leg.

"Ruff, Ruff."

"The fuck are you doing, Po?" lifting his gaze to investigate the sudden outburst, Roman halted. The whole of time came wobbling to stop like jello. Wide-eyed, panic beating a rapid drum in his chest, he met eyes with the old man.

"Shit."

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
BROKEN GLASS IN EVERY TREE
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2021 13:07:19 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
He’d been a mess since Roman had disappeared. He felt guilt for having finished the tournament, but there had been reasoning behind it. The timing couldn’t have been coincidental. He’d had no doubt that Rocket had him, and had something to do with it. Their father.

So, he’d gone to make eyes with any of them he could between his battles. The tournament had been swimming with Rockets. He’d known several. It had surely been a message of some kind.

And then, there’d been nothing. No sign of Roman, or any way to get him back.

Since the tournament, he hadn’t slept much between jobs, which had been increasingly important as of late. He spent all the time between doing rounds of the cities. He didn’t know where to look, really. He imagined Roman was being kept somewhere far out of sight. Maybe he’d get a video of him eventually, from some basement. He knew how Rocket operated—or at least, how they’d used to.

Unfortunately, he’d had to do his best to dodge the detective Roman’s mother had hired, for the sake of the rest of his family. All of it was maddening. For the first time in his life, he felt utterly helpless.

This was another of those rounds, only this one had been on foot as he looked around for his Kabuto as well. It had gotten out again. He couldn’t stand to lose something else. He was at his wit’s end.

Then, the unexpected: Po, running towards him—and Roman, standing frozen and staring.

“Roman!”

Gold eyes stared back, lit up with shock. His hand was limp on the excited Rockruff's head.

“What are you doing, dude? Where have you been?! His voice boomed with something that might’ve sounded like anger. It was hurt. He almost didn’t give him time to answer.

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2021 16:27:27 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
Po nudged the lifeless hand on his head. Silent in his demand for attention.

Roman doesn't share the same enthusiasm. His boyish features harden into a scowl. So much anger already lacing his tongue.

"What's it matter to you, Bo?"

Hateful for no reason.

Panicked for plenty.

So, he lies, "I've been with Uncle Cian. The one you didn't tell me about." or he would be if he'd been able to find .

He took a step back, "Come here, Po. We're leaving." reluctantly, the canine attempted to move away.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2021 16:56:30 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
The hand did nothing, still numb with surprise before surging with the need to grab the boy whole up over his shoulder again. He didn’t, knowing it had probably done plenty of damage last time.

Bo.

His jaw clenched and he felt a pang in his chest. He’d turned his back on everyone for Roman, and it had been too late.

Uncle Cian.

Boruta was a sleeping volcano. It had been years since it had erupted, on command, over and over. His mental ground began to quake and crack, threatening with heat. He’d had in his hand during the tournament, growling in his face. Bo was good at hurting people, and people knew that. It was why he'd felt so self-conscious that day, of what Cian had implied.

He’d gone home with the heaviness of regret, doubting his own gut feeling. It’d put him on the fence, and sent him covering useless ground with no direction.

Now, he was justified—and he hadn’t done enough.

On top of it, another wedge was driven between him and his son. Roman had been left in the dark, and Bo could only hope he still didn’t know why.

As the boy turned to leave, he figured he had plenty of time for him to get a head start before he could lose him on foot, so he made no move to lunge for him. Not yet.

“I didn’t tell you because he’s dangerous, Ro. I didn’t want you to get hurt.” He paused with a pacifying breath. This sucked, but he didn't see any outs. “You want me to tell you about him now? Before you go running back?”

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2021 17:35:08 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
Rockruff at his side, Roman's ready to bolt, but he stops midstep. All he should be doing now is running, find a taxi and head back to . Leaving Jayden's house in Sootopolis on his own had been stupid.

But made promises too. Promised to be there if Roman needed or wanted him to be. Yet here stood his dad, telling him the man who'd bought him a phone, and offered kindness and freedom posed a threat.

Why wouldn't his legs listen to him? Why the fuck were they turning around to face ?

Why did he care?

Frozen in place as if hit by an ice beam, Roman stared up at his father, furious greens clashing with the man's melancholy golds.

"You're lying." he fired, "Uncle Cian isn't dangerous. He bought me a phone, told me I could come to visit whenever I wanted." Roman clenched his jaw. "He didn't lie to me or keep anything from me either." they'd swore on it.

Cross Cian's heart, hope to die, stick a Weedle in his eye.

"Tell me." Roman didn't ask but ordered.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2021 20:53:40 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
Bo had been the worst of the Maher brothers, maybe. The most violent, at least, when assigned to be so. He’d unintentionally built a name for himself. These days still, though ranks unbeknownst to him, he was familiar with underboss and admin alike. He’d been allowed to simply wander into Rocket-infested bars in Sootopolis, post-takeover, with little more than a few whispers and glares—so far.

He figured at least a fist was coming his way, eventually. He traveled a thin line; a bridge not meant to hold for long.

Now, Roman was crossing it, into the hell that had evolved his father from deadbeat to deadly. It wasn’t so much that he believed , or to be bad people. He knew otherwise. His love for his brothers was immense.

The difference was responsibility.

The only way he could see, in such a crucial moment, to steer Roman from the mistakes of his own past, was to paint the exact picture he’d never wanted to.

His fatherly law could only mean as much as the foundation on which it was laid, and there was none. He struggled to get the posts in the sand of their relationship. Unfortunately, the only weight to ground them with now were harder truths than he was prepared to divulge gracefully.

“Alright.”

He took a heavy, exhausted sigh and strode closer, hands coming up in an unthreatening way. “Don’t run, please.”

If and when he’d managed to get closer, his hands lowered again, and he took a few steps so that they might have a walk.

“I’m sorry, Ro. I don’t ever want to keep things from you. You deserve to know your family.”“Have you met Caden?”

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 25, 2021 9:34:12 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
"I won't run."

For now.

The option remained loaded and ready at the back of his mind.

Things weren't off to a great start. There was another uncle that Roman didn't know? Seriously, what the fuck was wrong with his family? They didn't think he had the right to be informed about anything.

His heavy scowl from earlier returned painted in shades of distrust as well as anger.

"I don't want to know about Caden. I want to know about Uncle Cian."

Don't change the subject on him, Boruta. The truth, that's what you promised him, and that's what Roman wanted. Not about some uncle he hadn't met but on the one he had. The one who'd promised him that he'd be different than the deadbeat walking next to him.

"Why's he dangerous? Is he some sort of super villain?"

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2021 19:25:58 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
He wouldn’t run, he said.

Bo didn’t believe it, but he knew he couldn’t throw a hand out. Couldn’t curl his fingers into the boy’s shirt and pull him close, because it would surely make things worse.

He hadn’t been trying to steer the conversation away from , but he also didn’t want to focus on him. Didn’t want to demonize him more than was necessary, and to avoid that, it was important to bring the bigger picture into light.

The whole Maher family.

But Roman’s response was understandable. Bo figured now it seemed like a diversion, and his nose scrunched a moment with regret at his own lack of tact.

“Okay.”

A nod and a sigh was given, lips pressed.

Super villain. If it hadn’t been his situation, his family, his son; it might’ve almost been cute somehow. Because it was all of those things, it felt like a kick to gut.

How the fuck was he even supposed to approach this? There was no right way.

“First off, Roman: I love Cian. He’s my brother. He always will be.” He thought for a moment, taking a few steps while he eyed the ground. He missed them. “Family’s important. You don’t get another one. It was wrong of me to keep them from you, just like it was wrong of me to be gone for so long.”

He looked up from the ground, because if he didn’t, the pavement might’ve caught some drops. Instead, his eyes went painfully towards the clouds.

If he told the truth about himself, he ran the risk of arrest. Of having to leave Roman’s life, perhaps for good. He’d done what his father had told him to do for so long, and it had ruined him to society, and to himself, and there was no going forward without doing so in the skin of a snake—at least, that’s what it felt like.

“My side of the family’s rough, Ro. They’re criminals. Bad ones. They’ve hurt a lot of people, and a lot of other families.” I’ve hurt families. “They steal. They lie.” I lie, and I’ve stolen lives. “They do things that’ll get them in a lot of trouble—and they’ll get you in trouble too, if you’re with them. Not just cops. Other people want to hurt them, too.”

He took a deep sigh. One thing at a time.

“What do you know about prison, Roman?”

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2021 17:18:55 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
"Family's Important."

The dark bush of Roman's brow bristled at the words. His dad had no right to speak on the value of family. Not to him. Not when he'd spent so long away, a distant figure in the background - spoken of but rarely seen. Anger returns, a shaken-up bottle of soda hissing underneath a plastic cap ready to explode. Roman reaches to undo the seal but stops short.

Something in the old man's apology plucks a cord on his heartstrings. Maybe it's his face, how his eyes are glossy with the hint of tears that threaten to spill but never come. Perhaps it's the hesitation to get the words out. How when they're finally spoken, they're filled with pain, the kind Roman can feel like a Beedrill's sting in his chest. Whatever the reason - the young Maher holds his tongue.

For the first time in his life, Roman does nothing but listen. Oh, how he wished he hadn't. Because what he learns is that despite the promise, despite crossing hearts and threats of Weedle pokes, is a liar.

No one in his family can be trusted.

Black shoes come to a sudden halt on the pavement as if hit by a Thunder Wave. Fingers are tight, coiled like an Arbok into Roman's palms. All that sugary, anger-filled Root Beer from the soda bottle inside his chest leaks out from the sides of the cap. There's something else mixed into the liquid. Forcing emerald greens to act like mirrored reflections of his father's eyes. A conflicted concoction of melancholy and anger.

But why? Roman asks himself. Nothing his father has said about Uncle Cian is any different than the things he's done. Roman's hurt others. Lots of kids his age and older met the end of his fists. He'd lied, stolen - so then why does this hurt?

Why did he want to cry?

"That it's a place where criminals go when they've been caught."

Where everyone said he'll end up sooner or later.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2021 19:43:42 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
There were a lot of complexities. In a reality where government was corrupt, justice was flawed, and thus the damning title of criminal couldn’t necessarily equate to bad person—not the way Bo saw it. For a ten-year old, and this one in particular, he figured it was maybe best to just build upon a basic understanding of consequences—fair or unfair.

He might’ve focused on how you shouldn’t hurt people, but he knew they were already past that from The Great Mac ‘n’ Cheese Debacle of 2021. He was between a rock and a hard place, and he had no idea how long he had to make an impression this time.

“Right,” he confirmed. “They take away your rights. That means you can’t do anything. They tell you when to eat, when to sleep, when you can talk to people.” He wouldn’t like it. “Everybody that ends up there’s not necessarily a bad person, but sometimes that doesn’t matter. Sometimes all you have to do is be there, you know? See the wrong thing happen…” he trailed off. “It’s not somewhere you want to go. It’s not somewhere I want Cian, or Caden to go either, but I can’t tell them how to live their lives. I can’t prevent that for them.”

He kept walking, cursing that fact in his mind. Maybe he kept his mouth shut too much sometimes.

“I don’t want you to make the same mistakes…” that I did.

Say it.

A few more steps, and he hung his head, staring at their shadows side-by-side.

“Same ones I made.”

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Sept 24, 2021 19:15:13 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
The same ones I made.

The words echo in the silence that surrounds him. Suffocating in their presence and how they cling to him, drag him down, and force Roman to see his father in a way he never has before.

As himself.

They rock the very foundation of who Roman perceives his father to be. A man who doesn't get it. Who couldn't possibly relate to the struggle of feeling alone and unwanted, of feeling hated.

But he does, doesn't he?

Pain stings his heart. It jabs like a dagger into the depths of his soul and curls fingers into palms. If that's the case, then why? Why couldn't he be around? Because of danger? "Bullshit."

"This is all bullshit!"

Everything he's feeling channels into his legs, and Roman darts blindly down the road. He'd promised not to run, but Mahers were liars - so his dad shouldn't be surprised. Po is somewhere behind him, barking, but the child's too distracted to notice. Too busy trying to put as much distance between himself and his father to heed the canine's warning.

He's heading into danger. Roman's emotional charge sends him straight into the path of a shifting Snorlax. He entered Rusturf Tunnel just in time for the Snorlax to move in front of the entrance. Trapping him inside and surrounding him in darkness - alone.

A familiar place.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2021 3:56:42 GMT
boruta maher Avatar
Roman was silent beside him for a moment, and Bo wasn’t sure what to think. Had he gotten through? Did Roman hate him even more, now?

Bullshit. The ten year old’s word was harsh and sharp at the edges. It cut clean, and it was enough to give Roman the advantage for an escape, slipping away before he could get a hand out to reach for him.

“Roman, wait!”

But he was gone—and he was pretty fast, too. Like and . Like him to some extent, although he’d been built for other things, really. Still, he tried. 

“Shit.” Picked up his feet as quick as they would carry him after the boy, but just as he was gaining, Roman disappeared behind the blubbery mass of a huge Snorlax.

“You’ve gotta be fucking kidding me,” Bo muttered, reaching for Golem’s pokéball.

Roman!

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2021 4:07:16 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar
Surrounded by the familiar ocean of darkness, his feet grow roots, momentarily stopping Roman in his tracks.

"Wait for him."

He peered over his shoulder back to the sealed exit. The screams of his father twitched his ears from beyond the dark.

"Go home."

His mom had to miss him, right? And his dad took the time to care, and yet -

"I can't trust anyone."

Roman gritted his teeth, the trickle of tears down his cheek staining the unseen stone below. Emeralds hardened at the exit before he threw his head forward and continued to dash on ahead.

What good was family when all they did was lie?

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,014 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Snor-Problems? Snorlax.
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2021 4:50:39 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(ranger)