awards
639 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
gather [c]
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2022 1:35:16 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

there's a small trickle of blood on his lip. nothing that won't stop bleeding on its own. the only worry is if some of the weedle's nasty poisons managed to get inside. she dabs a bit of the lemony-smelling stuff onto a towel and gingerly brushes it against cian's cheek. 

"lemon balm. i told you about it when we ran into each other on route 119, remember? mixed with a little bit of ginger and white willow bark." her smile dimples.

"feel better? should be a bit cool right now." her attention's still on cian, but it flickers past him for a moment when roman asks bo if he can have a cider. she muffles the instinct to speak up and is rewarded with pride

"thanks, addie. why don't you head off a little early? take some food with you and tell the kids i say hi."

after boxing up some of the preparations for the woman so she can attend her own family get-together, willow wishes her off with a kiss to her cheek and a card, pressed with yellow petals and fastened with wax. 

"c'mon, cian. let's you and i finish the prep, eh?"
close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2022 4:14:01 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar

"Okay, but give me the drink first." Did Dad take him for an idiot? Bo would Ekans out of the deal once he carried the ciders to the fridge. No way was Roman letting that happen. Something extra in it for him or not.

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
now come together, come apart
awards
3,783 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gather [c]
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2022 18:08:21 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
"ah, yeah. i remember."

he stills under her touch, only moving after she's done.

"much better. thank you."

with a sigh, his attention falls back to roman and bo, watching their interaction with fondness. as much bad as roman's done, there's no denying the soft spot cian has for him. much like the soft spot roman stabbed...

"let's. not much left, if i remember."
close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
BROKEN GLASS IN EVERY TREE
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2022 2:19:18 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

cian and willow seemed to be bonding again, and while the sight in his peripheral vision warmed his heart, his attention remained mostly on the eleven-year-old in front of him—the one whole apparently thought him rather dumb.

fair, honestly.

his eyes pinched a little.

”nice try.” he smirked as he took another sip and shrugged, leaning back in his seat. ”you wouldn’t like it anyways, trust me.”

close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2022 3:40:25 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar

Roman couldn't have rolled his eyes any harder if he tried. He knew it. Dad hadn't planned to give him a drink at all. A puff of hot air through his nostrils accompanied a pointed look at dear old dad.

"You don't know that, but whatever."

He took the case of ciders to the fridge, regardless. Trying to earn good boy points? Pff, as if. Just an attempt to tuck one of the bottles into the front of his pants when nobody was looking. As if they wouldn't notice the sudden bulging of his waistline.

Making sure the top of the cider was hidden underneath his shirt, he put the case away. Then, quick as a Yamper, he beelined for the bathroom, trying not to look too obvious but failing.

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
we sewed all the holes we had to breathe
awards
639 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
gather [c]
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2022 22:09:11 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

unfortunately for roman, his grandmother eleanor is having one of her good days. she's up and around on her own and just so happens to be walking out of the bathroom by the time roman comes sprinting towards her. noticing his odd waddle, hands pressed against something in his belt, she leans against the doorframe and smirks down at him. 

"what ya got there, little ro? something for grams?"

in the kitchen, willow reaches up on her toes to snick on her father's old radio. nothing like a little bit of music to relax an atmosphere. and it reminds her of candlenights past, celebrating as a family. 

with cian's help, there really isn't much left to do. the meats adelaide had prepared were pretty much cooked. all that remained was tossing the salad, preparing some dressings and dips, and popping the biscuits in the oven. 

she takes them out now, and with them come the mouthwatering smell of freshly baked bread. 
close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,783 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gather [c]
POSTED ON Feb 2, 2022 15:40:50 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
cian is good at tossing salad, so that's what he helps with. and soon enough they have their feast ready, spread out across the dining table in a perfect display.

it reminds him of simpler times.

taking his place at the table, he looks around.

"do you, uh, say prayers here?"

because it sounds like something willow would do.
close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 1:35:27 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

he would have given him a sip.

bo watched with thinly veiled amusement at roman’s cider theft attempt—and did nothing to stop it. punkass. as if they wouldn’t notice one missing?

it was a holiday, though. he figured he’d let roman figure things out for himself.

finally getting up, he sipped and supervised, just as fresh bread was coming out of the oven. it smelled incredible. he hovered uselessly, captivated.

”that smells great.” nacho clearly thought so too, right underfoot.

a few beats too late, maybe, he surfaced through the warm trance of nostalgia. ”uh, can i help with anything?”
close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2022 20:49:15 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar

Oh shit, Grandma.

"Uh...nothing." Roman tried to play it cool, but he was got, and he knew it. Maybe the old hag let it slide and wouldn't say a word? Fuck he hoped so.

"I'm just going to the bathroom, Gran."

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
639 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
gather [c]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2022 22:54:26 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

oh shit, grandma is right. she narrows her eyes down at him and slouches to the side, effectively barring him from the bathroom. "way you're grabbin' your pants there, boy, someone might think yer hidin' somethin'." 

the old woman looks up at the sounds in the kitchen - of chairs being pulled, plates being set down. she ruffles his hair and then quicker than she should be able to, lifts up his shirt and plucks the cider from him. 

"boy, it ain't even a twist-off," she says. "how you think you were gonna open this yourself?" she smiles crookedly at him and then sets the bottlecap against the banister on the wall, tilts it to get the proper angle, and then smacks it down. the cap pops off with a plink and she takes a swig before offering it to roman. 

"drink it at the table or not at all. only sorry asses drink alone in bathrooms." and with that she shuffles past him and into the living room

and spies, for the first time in years, boruta maher, father of her grandchild and the man who'd taken more from her daughter than anyone'd ever had the right. willow's had him around for a while, working the land, and she knows this, but oftentimes she forgets it. so she's puzzled, seeing him there, and doesn't notice the way willow's breath hitches as she regards him. 

"ten years later and he asks if he can help," she says with a bark of a laugh. 

willow's face pales, lips twisting sharply as she scowls and says, "mom." but the cruelty fades from eleanor's face as quickly as it had come. and in its place is a detached sort of tranquility, of bemusement as she looks at bo. 

willow pinches the bridge of her nose and then looks at cian. 

"no, we don't pray, but we do have a tradition. ro, why don't you start us off? tell us one thing you learned this year and the best day you can remember."
close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,783 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gather [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2022 15:24:40 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
'only sorry asses drink alone in the bathrooms—'

"—so, bo?"

cian can't help but interject from all the way down the corridor. not even sure how he heard it in the first place; man has good ears, apparently.

"ah, nice."

he smiles, then looks over at young roman.

"take it away, hotshot."
close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Feb 21, 2022 5:31:48 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

it was a good thing bo somehow hadn’t heard his small baby brother’s loud, highly uncalled for and inaccurate quip—but eleanor’s? ooh, it stung. his face didn’t twist half as badly as willow’s, however.

”it’s good to see you, eleanor.” he nodded and smiled, watching her face change. the sparkle in her eye. the newness. was it clarity, or fog? he had to look away, back to the oven, to the opportunity to help in some way, even it was just putting the biscuits on the table.

he looked to willow, having rolled with her mother’s jab just fine.

soon at the table, still smiling, he recalled with whatever accuracy, ”i think i remember this.” from years ago.

he looked at roman, curious what his answer might be.
close tab

played by

Ditz

Ro
Male
Thirteen
November 8th
Fallarbor Town
Cooties
Hooligan
Civilian
I'm Thirteen
Get Lost
18 height
18 height
awards
150 posts
Roman Maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @roman
Roman Maher
gather [c]
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2022 5:20:25 GMT
Roman Maher Avatar

"Oh." is all Roman can muster in his surprise. He expected grandma to yell or something. Not open and hand him the drink. Best not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Roman grinned, snatching the drink away before she could change her mind. He followed into the kitchen and plopped into his seat. While the table's set, Roman took a big ol' gulp of his stolen beverage. Immediately he regretted it.

So bitter. "Yuck!" his face twisted in disgust. He could barely get it down. Frowning, he sat the bottle aside just in time for mom to put him on the spot.

What had he learned this year?

"If I'm going to stab someone, do it in an empty room."

close tab

played by

crow

will
she/her
twenty-nine
november 12
rustboro
heterosexual
horticulturist
civilian
awards
639 posts
part of
TAG WITH @willow
willow atkins
gather [c]
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2022 16:20:47 GMT
willow atkins Avatar

willow shoots a look at her mother, knowing full well she's the reason that cider's sitting open in front of roman. she'd voice her concerns, but one sip and roman's face makes it clear he has little interest in it. from across the table, eleanor winks. willow rolls her eyes and takes a sip of her own cider. just as roman opens his mouth and says that

she coughs. the drink goes down the wrong way and her face reddens as she goes into a fit. the carbonation tickles her nose and instantly her eyes wet at the stinging sensation. she reaches for a glass of water and takes a small sip. 

eleanor stares blankly at roman and then her brows furrow. "think you're funny, you little shit? if pawpaw was still around, he'd beat your ass for doing that to your momma. now apologize. or i'll make ya drink that whole damn cider."

willow crumples. in the past, she'd have reprimanded her mother alongside roman, but she's so tired. and her little boy is a stranger beside her. 
close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,783 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gather [c]
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2022 11:42:54 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
in 's defense, that was pretty funny.

cian knows better than to laugh but when has he ever done the right thing? he practically snorts as he reaches for his drink as well, trying to hide his grin behind the glass.

"i'm sure roman was just kidding! weren't you, bud?"

he knows roman isn't but he hopes the look he gives roman is enough.
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights