TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2022 1:15:38 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

Perfectly arranged, without a leaf out of place, it’s a bouquet of beautiful calla lilies that rests on the table, their petals ranging between white and bright orange shades – as if touched by both frost and flame. It had been a last minute request made to no other than only a few hours earlier, and one that the florist had fulfilled excellently. Naturally, Mars would have expected no less.
[break][break]
And near the bouquet, the table too lays perfectly arranged. Two squared dinner plates are topped by folded napkins, and surrounding them is the amount of cutlery to be expected of fine dining. This part is courtesy of both his housemaid and chef.
[break][break]
It’s all arranged by the time Mars himself returns to Mauville Hills, the sun being long gone from the skies. His day had been as rewarding as it had been long, but while the contest he had so proudly arranged and hosted had ended with cheer and thunderous applause, this is what he had looked forward to the most from the moment he made the whispered suggestion when awarding his ribbon in front of cameras and everyone at the contest hall:
[break][break]
”Join me for dinner tonight.”

[attr="class","textwttag"]

[attr="class","textwtnotes"]

notes

[break]

Mission - Sleepless in Slateport ♡

[attr="class","textwtpokes"]

[newclass=.textwt] width: 400px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt b] color: #60a697; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #60a697; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #60a697; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwttag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwttag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: #60a697!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtnotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtnotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #60a697; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtnotes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: #60a697; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtw] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtpokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #60a697; padding: 5px; width: 390px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtpokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Apr 9, 2022 21:13:11 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Join me for dinner tonight.”

Barnaby hadn't even hesitated in his whispered reply. Their encounter on stage at the award ceremony had been brief - surrounded by cheering crowds as well as an adoring public - and gave the journalist only enough time to confirm with a pleased,

"Of course."

After the whirlwind of performances at the ♡ Love Contest, Barnaby had gone home to refresh from the day's events: he showered, he changed into something a little less theatrical, spritzed on his lavender and sandalwood cologne. Several hours later, he found himself on a familiar elevator heading up to Mars' penthouse.

As Barnaby was lifted to the higher floors of their apartment complex, his mind drifted to thoughts of that night. A glance was spared to the corner, where he vividly remembered a crumpled , slumped over himself with clothes coated in blood. That had been a hard thing to see.

But what followed after was revelational. Their relationship had shifted after that night, and they were still navigating that shift even now. Perhaps that was why Barnaby felt both elation and a prickle of nerves as the elevator doors slid open, revealing on the other side.

"Martín." He greeted warmly, stepping through the threshold and into the luxurious penthouse. A quick faire la bise was exchanged with the admin, his lips lingering on Mars' cheek for a second longer than what would be customary.

"Thank you for inviting me. I know you've had a long day," Barnaby continued, pulling away. "But I'll admit I was happy to hear you wanted to end it with me."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2022 4:06:18 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

”Of course.” Is what Barnaby had responded when Mars had made his selfish request, and out of all the things the then victor could have said, it was the one that made him the happiest. ’Of course’ has no hesitation, no doubt. ’Of course’ is filled with certainty, as if there’s nothing else in the world would rather do and no one else he’d rather celebrate his victory with. Two simple words that may have been said in the spur of the moment and without much thought, but two words that make all the difference to Mars – two that have been overanalyzed for hours, until the moment he once again finds himself looking into cobalt eyes…
[break][break]
”Barnaby.” There’s a smile; easy, simple, full of charm. He too had changed into a simpler attire when returning to Mauville Hills, although he had of course made sure that it be one suitable for this dinner. Dinner date? Funnily enough, there’s nothing bothersome about the thought as it passes through his mind when he returns the chaste kiss on the cheek that makes for a greeting, even if he notices the way Barnaby’s own lips linger.
[break][break]
”You also had a long day. Perhaps even more hectic than mine, actually.” An eyebrow is raised then, paired with a smirk, and with an offered hand, he guides his companion into the penthouse where he lives.
[break][break]
Beautiful decór surrounds them; modern, minimalist, and in muted shades. The place looks as if it were straight out of a magazine, pristine and lacking in anything that may mark it as the home of someone like him. Except, perhaps, for the bouquet of calla lilies that rests on the table, because in their presence there’s the obvious mark of choices only he could make – flowers he chose for and no one else, to celebrate the achievements of this particular day.
[break][break]
”I was also glad to hear you wanted to celebrate your victory with me.” Carefully, he picks up the bouquet, and it’s with a smile that he offers it to his contest’s winner – eyes of amber never looking away from him. ”You did amazing, by the way. I’m really proud of the way you performed.”
[break][break]
Compliments from one who dabbles in coordinating to another? From contest host to winner? Or, is it perhaps from lover to lover? Is it more than that, maybe?

notes

[break]

[newclass=.textwt] width: 400px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt b] color: #60a697; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #60a697; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwt u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #60a697; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwttag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwttag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: #60a697!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtnotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtnotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #60a697; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.textwtpokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #60a697; padding: 5px; width: 390px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Apr 21, 2022 0:55:23 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"More hectic? I'm not so sure. You stayed well after closing ceremonies, all all." He responded, continuing with a more teasing lilt. "You'll have to tell me how your meeting with that other journalist went, by the way."

Barnaby accepted Mars’ offered hand, following him further into the penthouse. As most would do when coming to a friend's home for the first time, Barnaby took a moment or two to look around and examine his surroundings. He appreciated the clean lines, the luxurious finishes - in that regard, the space reminded him of his own home.

When they entered the dining area it took only seconds for Barnaby to notice the showstopper in the room: a magnificent bouquet of one of his favorite flowers, dripped in fiery orange and pristine white.

Within moments he found himself accepting the lilies with a jubilant, grateful smile. “These are gorgeous. I love the colors…” He stroked the petals fondly, admiring both their beauty and the thoughtful gesture behind them.

The compliment that followed the gift came as no surprise. It was expected. Barnaby and his brilliant pair of foxes had spent hours preparing for their debut; they'd given their all on stage and performed exceptionally. Of course they were deserving of praise.

But that didn’t make it any less meaningful, especially when spoken by the host himself.

"I’m really proud of the way you performed.”

That comment hits the hardest. A sentiment that Barnaby had rarely heard sincerely in his life. It caused a confusing pang of pleasure and pain to well up in his chest. Thankfully, the feeling passed quickly.

"Thank you, mon trésor. That means a lot coming from you."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON May 10, 2022 1:58:37 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

Calla lilies, out of all lilies, because ‘calla’ means beauty. Orange to white, as if fire and ice, just like the pair of Ninetales owned by and just like the theme of his contest performance. White for beginnings, for the start of something new. Yellow for joy and happiness, for the celebration that this bouquet is supposed to represent. Orange for elegance and confidence, for two of the things Mars truly cherishes about the man before him, but also orange for growth and change. Fiorelli Floristry truly had done a wonderful job with procuring such a carefully chosen selection for him on such short notice. He would have to thank for it next time he saw her.
[break][break]
And so, Mars could claim the bouquet is simply supposed to be about Barnaby’s victory, but is it really? On the surface, the choice of every flower appears mostly as an aesthetic one, and of course he would never voice just how much thought actually went into each and every one.
[break][break]
”I’m glad you like them.” In the end, that’s what matters. That smile, so joyful and so full of gratitude, makes it all feel worthwhile. How many people had had the privilege of seeing such an expression from him before? ”It’s a beautiful smile.” And, admittedly, it’s that thought itself that causes Mars to catch himself simply watching Barnaby – the realisation causing him to chuckle quietly before speaking up one more time.
[break][break]
”Come on, let’s eat before it gets cold. My chef prepared quite the feast for us.”
[break][break]
Kalosian delicacies, of all things.

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON May 13, 2022 20:20:26 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
If Mars had explained the significance of the lilies, extrapolated on the many intricate meanings and details that had gone into the gift, Barnaby would have been extremely touched. For now, though, he saw it as a sweet and amiable gesture.

On the admin’s suggestion, Barnaby took a seat at the immaculately set dining table, choosing a spot across from to easily facilitate conversation. As they settled in, one of the staff stepped from around the corner carrying a plate in each hand. He presented the first course, setting the appetizer down before both men, before lighting a candle for the table. Although the food in front of Barnaby smelled divine, the scent of other delicacies also floated from the nearby kitchen, mingling together to create a tantalizing experience.

Quite the feast indeed! This looks delicious.” Barnaby’s cobalt eyes flicked down to his plate and then up to meet his host’s amber gaze. “Kalosian. A thoughtful touch, Martín.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON May 14, 2022 16:24:18 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

Thoughtful.
[break][break]
Is that not exactly what is? A man who pays attention to every detail, who plans things meticulously, and who makes sure that everything is up to the high standards he himself has set for himself. It’s not about wanting to impress , not really, but it is about wanting him to enjoy himself, because this is a dinner meant to celebrate him and his victory.
[break][break]
”If we’re celebrating you, it’s only fitting that our meal is something you’re fond of, no?” Mars smiles at him, and as they speak, champagne is poured into adorned flutes – the staff member taking care to never get in the way of their conversation and leaving the moment everything is served. ”I would’ve made it your favourite, but I don’t think you ever told me what that is.”
[break][break]
There’s a slight smirk at that, for this had been a meal planned with in mind, but there’s still so many things Mars doesn’t know about the man before him – so many things he’s infinitely curious about. So, why not find out?
[break][break]
”I hope you don’t mind me sneaking in some of my favourites. Bon appetit.
[break][break]
The glass of champagne is raised to his lips, and of course, as should only be expected, l'entree happens to be hors d’oeuvres: small canapés in a variety of flavours.

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON May 22, 2022 4:24:13 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Spoken like the expert host that you are." A compliment made with a double meaning, referring to Mars' attention to detail in both this celebration and as the host of the ♡ Love Contest.

"That's tough. I have many favorites." This topic of conversation was a comfortable one. It brought Barnaby back to simpler times, to a medium he used regularly as a form of solace when his life was at it's lowest point.

Food. Cooking, baking, eating. It was an escape for him.

"Bœuf à la Bourguignonne is wonderful in the wintertime. It's rich and hearty; makes one want to cozy up on the couch in front of the fireplace." Barnaby smiled at the thought while plucking the now-filled champagne flute from the table.

"Perhaps a light quiche in the warmer months." He took a sip of his drink before continuing.

"I think I love sweet things the most, though. Desserts are my weakness." And also one of his favorite things to make. Perhaps that was why and 's chocolates had been so detestable to his palate.

"I hope you don’t mind me sneaking in some of my favourites. Bon appetit.”

"Not at all. I'm curious to see what your favorites are. Good to know for the future." To this he paired a teasing smirk, holding Mars' amber gaze before looking down at the variety of canapés. Barnaby assessed the selection with a hungry, appreciative eye, and then chose one topped with smoked salmon and capers.

"Bon appetit!" He declared before popping the entire canapé in his mouth.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2022 3:50:29 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

Mars could listen to him for hours. Listen to the way he describes some of his favourite things in the world; to his reasoning behind each choice and to the joy in his voice. There’s something wonderful about it, really. Something that makes the Rocket admin smile when hearing it…
[break][break]
Isn’t it silly? Food is such a meaningless topic, after all It’s something everyone likes, something everyone has their opinions on, but it’s also something he hadn’t realised cares so much for. Perhaps the nice thing about it is just listening to him talk about the things he loves. Perhaps it’s learning more about the man that sips champagne while talking about quiche and Bœuf à la Bourguignonne.
[break][break]
”Ha… I haven’t had Bœuf à la Bourguignonne since I was a child.” Since those early childhood days back at Ambrette Town, actually. The memories are distant, faded, and stained by long-dried blood. Still, Mars laughs. ”Careful, you might just make me crave it.”
[break][break]
A sip of champagne, a smirk to match Barnaby’s, and when a comment is made regarding how his preferences would be ’good to know for the future’, he doesn’t respond until finishing a canapé.
[break][break]
”Oh really? I wonder what you have planned. If you really want to know… I lean more towards seafood, perhaps because I always lived by the coast until moving to Mauville.” He misses it. He wishes he were by the sea. It brings him a comfort he can’t really put to words. ”Though, if you like sweets that much, then I may have to start acting sweeter.
[break][break]
It may be a dinner in celebration of Barnaby’s victory, but that sure won’t stop Mars from being Mars and flirting as if it were the most natural thing to say in response to something like that. Most things can’t stop him, but his companion may already know that.

[break][break]

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jul 2, 2022 2:23:47 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
As Mars began to speak, Barnaby chewed his canapé quietly, savoring the taste of quality salmon on his tongue. He listened, too, smiling as his friend commented on the hearty beef dish that they both apparently held a fondness for. Another sip of champagne and then he responded, admitting,

"I don't really share this often, but I do actually enjoy cooking. If there's ever anything you're craving I'd be more than happy to make it for you." And that was the genuine truth. It wasn't something he offered lightly, either, although it may not have seemed that way to .

"I know a few seafood dishes off the top of my head that I think you'd like. Just let me know." And with that, he popped another canapé into his mouth. The plate was almost empty now, with only a few bites left between them.

"Though, if you like sweets that much, then I may have to start acting sweeter.”

"You talk as if you aren't already exceptionally sweet." Barnaby gestured to the room at large, with it's atmospheric lighting, delicious hors d’oeuvres, and breathtaking flowers. "But if you insist, I'd love to see what an even sweeter looks like. I can hardly imagine something so... delectable."

Two could play at this game. Certainly, it was one of their favorites: harmless flirting just for the sake of it, just because it felt good in the moment. Why not indulge, especially during a celebration like this one?

"You didn't have to go to all this trouble, by the way." His voice had grown softer now, more gentle, making the implied but I'm glad you did at the end of the statement fairly obvious.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2022 2:40:30 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

”Really? You’d do that for me?” Unlike most people in the world, Mars is a man who has had others cook for him all of his life. There have been chefs like the one who prepared the dinner they’re currently enjoying, maids, cooks, and before all of that, there was his dad. The difference being that out of all those people, only his dad ever prepared meals out of love for him, and that because of it, Mars knows well the value there can be in cooking – the affection it can express.
[break][break]
Is that what Barnaby cooking for him would be? A gesture of affection? A display of the Kalosian’s fondness for him? Perhaps of the importance of their friendship, for it's clearly not something he would do for just anyone and there’s no way it could be anything other than that…
[break][break]
Right?
[break][break]
”Now I’m actually curious to know what kind of dish you’d make for me. I think we’ll have to do that sometime.” He smiles, holding Barnaby’s gaze, and unsaid are the words that linger at the tip of his tongue: ”It’s a date.” There’s no need for comments like those. There’s a potential in them for lingering awkwardness even if spoken as a joke, and during a night meant to celebrate the achievements of his dear friend, such a thing would be unacceptable. Yet… Why is it that he thought of it the moment he gave his response?
[break][break]
Should the idea of a dinner date with be a bothersome thought after all?
[break][break]
The answer to his own question comes to him with Barnaby’s next comment, spoken in a softer tone. Words that express gratitude even if not said directly, and despite the fact that this isn’t really something he should be grateful for.
[break][break]
Still, Mars finds himself happy to hear it.
[break][break]
”No, I didn’t have to, but I wanted to.” His tone is gentle too, and despite the approach of the server that brings their next dish, the next words come with no apprehension:
[break][break]
”For you.”
[break][break]
All this is also not something Mars would do for just anyone.

[break][break]

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2022 0:53:11 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Really? You’d do that for me?”

As the words left his host's lips, Barnaby realized that there was a lot he'd do for . In a moment of concern he'd once promised that Mars didn't have to be alone anymore, not if he didn't want to be.

In that vein they'd continued to enjoy one another's company, just like tonight, and a fondness had grown beyond the dam Barnaby usually erected around these types of relationships. It wasn't something he was willing to admit to himself, though. Not yet.

So he continued in unsteady ignorance, smiling blithely as their next course was brought to the table. "C'est magnifique, Martín!" The first bite was so mouthwateringly decadent, it brought him back to Kalos, if only for a moment. It was a wonderful, nostalgic feeling.

"For you." Mars had done this knowing of Barnaby's longing for home. Arranged and sorted just for him and him alone.

Right?

Why? Was that really true? Would he have done something similar for the Contest's victor regardless? Knowing Mars and his incredible penchant for networking, it seemed likely.

And so he reasoned the significance away. Packaged neatly in a palatable, downplayed scenario. Shunted his expectant feelings behind the dam.

"Thank you." Barnaby spoke, just as gently, for the third time tonight.

Wanting to reroute the conversation, he glanced toward the beautiful bouquet of calla lilies and then back to . "So, why a love contest? To capitalize on Palentine's Day, perhaps?"

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2022 16:07:08 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

He would have done something similar if someone else had won the contest, that much is true. But, it wouldn’t have been like this. Not on the same night as the contest, not at his place, not with dishes carefully selected just for them, and definitely not with flowers. All of those things are meant for Barnaby and Barnaby alone, even if Mars may not say so. He’s not a man who is prone to giving explanations.
[break][break]
There’s no need for it, anyway. He hadn’t done this to have Barnaby thank him or to be praised. He had done it to see him smile in the way he does when the next course comes, looking as if he’s truly enjoying himself. Barnaby deserves to have moments like these. To be happy. It’s what anyone would wish for someone who has been a great friend to them.
[break][break]
”So, why a love contest? To capitalize on Palentine's Day, perhaps?”

[break]
Barnaby, you really don’t think everything I do is because of money, do you?” He chides, although admittedly, that had been a factor. It always is, isn’t it? No point in spending if there won’t be a substantial return to it. The projections speak for themselves. ”...Love has always mattered to me.”
[break][break]
Should he really be telling him all this?
[break][break]
Mars pauses to take another bite, focusing on enjoying the meal while considering what reasoning to give. There are multiple reasons why love matters to him, but some are much more personal than others.
[break][break]
”...It’s not something I’ve experienced a lot of throughout my life. Not actual love, you know? It’s not something I particularly seek, but I won’t deny that it’s the reason for my happiest memories.”
[break][break]
The truth. Not all of it, but some of the most important parts.

[break][break]

notes

[break]

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2022 21:13:51 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Of course love mattered to .

The rings around his neck, hidden behind the fabric of his shirt, was a testament to that fact.

But... Mars had never answered him, then. When Barnaby had asked about his late wife. The memory seemed like a lifetime ago, and the topic hadn't come up since. He wondered, if he asked now, what sort of response he'd receive.

Would Barnaby dare broach such a subject?

"Not everything. But you're the CEO of one of the world's largest banks for a reason." That was indisputable.

When Mars paused he did as well, taking a sip of his champagne and another few bites of his delicious dinner. When his friend spoke up again, though, it caused Barnaby's hands - and the fork and knife gripped by them - to still mid-use.

"... What do you consider to be actual love?" Barnaby was curious because, if he were to be truly vulnerable and analyze the relationships in his life, he wasn't sure he'd ever been actually loved at all.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
La vie est une fleur [M]
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2022 1:16:17 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","textwt"]
[attr="class","textwtw"]

Actual love.
[break][break]
Admittedly, there’s a part of him that regrets ever saying the words out loud, because as much as they may all be true and as much as it’s something he had easily discussed in interviews countless times before (especially recently, when the contest had been announced), here there’s a more personal note to it all. It’s not that he minds telling Barnaby his thoughts on the matter, it’s just that–…
[break][break]
”Hmm…” Reaching for his glass, Mars looks at the liquid within for a moment, lightly swirling it in silence. He’s considering his response, but he’s also avoiding looking at his friend, because at that very moment, there’s something terribly sad about the look in his own amber gaze.
[break][break]
”I don’t really mean it in a romantic sense. Just I mean... People who love you for who you are, not for your money, status, or anything else they might want from you. Those who love you with no conditions or expectations. In my experience, it's a rare thing to find.”
[break][break]
In Mars’ life, only two people had ever shown him that kind of love.
[break][break]
Pushing those memories back down to the depths where they belong, he calmly takes a sip from his glass, and only then does he look at Barnaby once more. He smiles, in a way that is gentle and slight.
[break][break]
”What about you? What do you think of it? Love?

[break][break]

notes

[break]