part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
that's why they call it petalburg [m]
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2022 12:46:55 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","rigid"]
[attr="class","rigidw"]On the first night since their blooming, random residents of Petalburg reported an alarmingly vibrant glow emanating from within the local woods. After some investigating, the culprit appeared to be none other than a new flower. Many have elected to study this new species of flora, and because they only glow at night? That was when the scientists wanted to study them.
[break]
[break]
However, not all of them had pokemon capable of keeping them safe in here at night. Enter the two individuals who currently looked over the area, vigilant eyes on the lookout for any wild pokemon that may wander into the area.
[break]
[break]
"What's your name again?" Hopefully it wouldn't seem rude. Derek felt like he'd seen them somewhere before, but couldn't quite place his finger on it. Not with any confidence, at least.

[attr="class","rigidtag"]mission w/

[attr="class","rigidpokes"]

[newclass=.rigid] width: 400px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid b] color: #616468; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid a] text-decoration: none; color: #616468; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #616468; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid i] color: #616468; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #616468; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidtag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidtag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidnotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidnotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #616468; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidnotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #616468; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigid span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidpokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #616468; padding: 5px; width: 390px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidpokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,439 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2022 13:07:20 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo.

The flowers around here didn’t appeal to Hideo all that much: they didn’t seem to have much smell to them, and their nighttime glow didn’t add much for someone who was blind. Still, someone had asked that they help make sure these flowers were guarded, and who was he to refuse a decent pay?

Though he did make sure to bring a good set of eyes to watch out for anything: way up above them was his Alolan Exeggutor, her height no doubt a valuable asset in spotting incoming threats. And down below was his Cinderace, the tall bunny ready to get in the nitty-gritty of a fight with some flaming rocks and his Flame Body.

Also helped to have others keep an eye on stuff, as Hideo had his mind a lot more on what had happened recently. The request for his name did remind him he didn’t quite remember the name of the guy he was working with, so his mind did wander for just a moment. “And your name was…um…what was it again?

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
old habits die hard, i guess.
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 15:32:01 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","rigid"]
[attr="class","rigidw"]"Derek Hoffman."
[break]
[break]
Answering promptly, the sound of something beyond the brush caught his ear just as he finished. Releasing his Sobble, Derek pointed in the direction of the sound. "Hose down that bush, Jonesy." The water gun that funneled out from the lizard's maw had enough power to rip leaves and roots from the undergrowth. Likewise, it wasn't much of a surprise when the Cubone forced out had been plastered against the nearest tree, causing it to pass out.
[break]
[break]
A single finger was held out to Jonesy, who slapped it with his own in similar fashion to a high-five. "You guys got next, alright?" In the meantime Derek began rummaging through his jacket and pants pockets, trying to locate the snack bag he brought for Jonesy as to reward him.

[attr="class","rigidtag"]

[newclass=.rigid] width: 400px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid b] color: #616468; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid a] text-decoration: none; color: #616468; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #616468; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigid u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #616468; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidtag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidtag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidnotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidnotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #616468; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rigidnotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #616468; [/newclass]

[newclass=.rigidpokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #616468; padding: 5px; width: 390px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,439 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 16:20:16 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo could hear his partner’s - Derek’s - Sobble nail a Pokemon with a timely Water Gun. Had Hideo been more focused, he might’ve heard it coming - though maybe it was easy to spot with the lighting they had. He didn’t know, and it wasn’t something he’d considered.

Once told it was his turn, Hideo nodded. His Pokemon were quick to take shift - or just his tallest one.

His Exeggutor was careful, her Egg Bombs avoiding any of the flowers. However, they were also indiscriminate in the sense that anything outside of them was getting a face-full of them: several Bug Pokemon were blown away by the force of the attack, each one squealing and retreating from the overwhelming force.

Hopefully his partner hadn’t left any Pokemon too far out.

Um…Derek?” Hideo started, more of a murmur at first, though he raised his voice as he spoke more. “Have you ever lost someone? Like a friend?

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 17:01:51 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","rigid"]
[attr="class","rigidw"]"...Yeah, I have. But they were more than a friend."
[break]
[break]
Derek drew quiet for a moment, awkwardly shifting around on the inside. He discarded the unsavory thoughts in order to avoid dwelling on it. "What makes you bring it up?"
[break]
[break]
They didn't seem that old, so it wasn't easy to assume that they might be asking for advice. For how to deal with it, or if it ever gets better.
[break]
[break]
Thanks to their pokemon's efforts, though, they were able to chat undisturbed. For however long that would last...

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,439 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 17:26:31 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
It wasn’t too surprising to hear he wasn’t the only one facing some kind of loss. With all the chaos in Hoenn, he’d heard of more than one person dying. This was just the first time Hideo himself was dealing with it.

You hear about what happened to ? She was a friend of mine.” It felt wrong to refer to her in the past tense, those words practically stinging his mouth. “I hadn’t had a chance to talk to her in a while, and then I read about that happening.

There was an awkward silence as Hideo wondered why he’d brought it up. Maybe he’d thought talking about it would help, but it only hurt to say it.

His Cinderace took note, staying close to the boy while the Exeggutor continued keeping an eye out for any intruders.

It’s just…scary.” The way she died was startlingly similar to what he’d heard happened to others looking into the Amulets. Something that almost happened in front of him to other people he knew. Something he was involved in.

But maybe someone who’d lost someone more than a friend could help him, even if only to help handle Ruby’s death.

I guess…how did you deal with it? Losing someone like that? How should I deal with it?

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 20:24:03 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","rigid"]
[attr="class","rigidw"]"Oh...I'm really sorry about Ruby."
[break]
[break]
Maybe he should've known, but the news hadn't been something Derek was particularly keen of paying much attention to. The headline did catch his eye, but because he didn't know her that well, it was easy to disassociate and ignore the article. "What do you think she would do if it happened to one of her friends?" The Saint of Slateport surely didn't earn her moniker by sitting somewhere along the fence, that much was for sure.
[break]
[break]
Waving Jonesy off, his pokemon would take the hint and roam into the woods alone, eventually heard spewing his water at whatever evidently spooked him within the brush. Derek didn't want his pokemon to hear anything regarding it's past trainer, as it would probably upset the Sobble enough to send him into a crying fit.
[break]
[break]
"In my case, I made a promise to my little sister that I'd become part of the Hoenn league's hall of fame. She regrettably passed before I could make good on it, and so...I made another promise." Pointing out into the direction Jonesy could be heard, Derek felt a little silly considering he'd been told his partner was apparently blind.
[break]
[break]
"I swore that I would do so with her pokemon. That Sobble you can hear using his water gun on all those poor pokemon over there. Jonesy is his name. He was her favorite." And then there was the other one...
[break]
[break]
"Her second pokemon was a Charmeleon called Apollo. I managed to help him evolve. He's, well...he's nothing like Jonesy over there." Too ashamed to mention the state of being six feet under, Derek can't help but feel the sorrow spreading.
[break]
[break]
"The point is that we try to honor the dead in whatever ways we can. However we think they'd want us to. The world doesn't stop for them when they're gone, so...why should we?" It might come off a bit callous, especially given they were a child for the most part, but Derek hoped they might be able to stomach it.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,439 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 21:45:53 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
To Derek’s first question, Hideo was silent. It was never something he’d considered up to this point - having to take care of someone else’s Pokemon because they were gone. Would she have taken care of someone else’s Pokemon? Probably - he knew she earned the name “The Saint of Slateport” for good reasons.

She’d probably do it without hesitation - unlike Hideo.

Hideo listened as Derek went into detail - that it was his little sister that he’d lost. “I’m sorry,” was all Hideo could muster up to say as he listened. He couldn’t tell that Derek was pointing at the Sobble, but he could guess that was the Pokemon that ran off, spewing water at any threats as his Exeggutor Egg Bomb’d them away.

And the mention of being in the Hall of Fame sent a pain through Hideo’s heart: a goal not unlike his own. Ruby wouldn’t ever be able to witness him reach his own goal.

If only he’d been faster.

He nodded along as Derek elaborated further. Only once Derek finished did Hideo speak again.

We…aren’t sure what to do with her Pokemon. Me and her other friends, I mean.” It was a conversation nobody had started, yet was bound to come up at some point: they had to decide what to do with her surviving Pokemon. And who knew how many she had - they couldn’t all be at the treehouse. “It doesn’t feel right to just take them. I don’t know if she has any family we could send them to.

There was a lot he didn’t know about Ruby. Yet he still felt awful about what happened to her.

I won’t stop going for badges and becoming Champion, but…I just don’t know what to do.” He could still remember talking to her about their badges, about how she took a shot at the Elite Four.

Hideo could feel his Cinderace place its hand on his shoulder, pulling him in for a hug. It was only when he felt the soft fur on his face that he noticed the tears forming in the corners of his eyes. Dammit - he didn’t want to cry in front of some guy he only just met.

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Apr 14, 2022 23:43:52 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","rigid"]
[attr="class","rigidw"]"Ah, yeah...I bet she had quite a lot of'em."
[break]
[break]
Even Derek had more pokemon than he could properly care for, which was why the PC storage system was so handy. That and all the daycares.
[break]
[break]
"Well, nobodies forcing you to decide so soon." For Derek, he knew exactly what it was that the deceased had wanted. To catch up to him, like the tortoise to the hare, and eventually rub the taste of defeat in his face. A playful rivalry that stemmed from their overwhelming sense for adventure. Living in Johto's city of dragons, that adventurous nature came as no surprise to their parents.
[break]
[break]
"Take some time to let your thoughts settle at the bottom of the tank. No use getting hasty. If need be, I'll have a word with some of the other rangers. Maybe we could relocate them somewhere in the wild." As much as he didn't want to separate them from one of the few ties they had their to a dear friend, sometimes these things became a burden. Only Hideo could truly determine that for himself.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,439 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2022 18:25:30 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
With a deep breath, Hideo was able to mostly compose himself, cutting off his tears before he was truly crying. Didn’t help his stuffed-up nostrils, but he’d minimize his embarrassment.

If he was going to be Champion, he couldn’t be weak like this.

Gently, he pushed away his Cinderace, wiping his tears away with his sleeve. “I…” he started, but trailed off as he didn’t know what to say. It was something he had to talk about with everyone else in their group - if they couldn’t find any of Ruby’s family.

The words soon found his mouth - little as they were. “I’ll…think about it.” It just wasn’t something he really wanted to think about. “If…if we can’t decide, then we could talk to the r-rangers.

Still, letting her Pokemon get “relocated” seemed a lot like just letting them out in the wild. Would her Pokemon even want to be moved like that? He knew his wouldn’t.

And that would be like cutting off one of the few remaining things they had of her.

His face cleared of tears - albeit slightly reddened - Hideo sighed. It helped him calm down a bit, though the uneasiness in his chest wouldn’t go away. The best he could do was just distract himself. “Come on. Let’s just keep the flowers safe.

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2022 14:46:10 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","rigid"]
[attr="class","rigidw"]There was obvious hesitation of just letting them go, and it was admirable. Derek just hoped they didn't act as an anchor for the child. At the very least, he did consider the offer. As for the last part...
[break]
[break]
"Well, the scientists seem done with their current studies. I just saw them pick a few flowers and some dirt for samples, but they're packing up - yeah, one just waved us out." Which gave him a thought, why not do the same? Plucking one, Derek tucked it to where it hung out of his jacket pocket. Then another thought. "We should pick one for her, don't you think?" Something to leave at her grave, with fondness attached to it, as opposed to grief and sorrow. Bringing people gifts always made Derek feel better, at least.
[break]
[break]
Knowing they wouldn't exactly be able to tell which of the foliage before him was glowing, Derek selected a grand specimen and ripped it from the ground, placing it into Hideo's hand. The glowing gradually began to fade, but it didn't cease outright. "I'll be sending mine over to Johto. I trust you know what to do with yours." With that said, Derek released a pokemon, his Garchomp, which he soon sat upon in order to take his leave. "I'll see ya around, alright? Take care, man." And just like that, Derek ascended skywards and found himself closing in on Slateport. He had two meetings to attend to the next day.
[break]
[break]
END OF THREAD

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,962 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2022 19:38:37 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: