jack
he/him
twenty-six
august 12
Hulbury
bi
travel blogger
elite ranger
Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass.
awards
581 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jack
jack wainwright
Falling Ashes and Camera Flashes [M]
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2022 0:07:39 GMT
jack wainwright Avatar

The world seemed oddly quiet, the falling ash soaking up much of the sounds that would otherwise permeate nature. Even the usually sharp click click click of the camera shutter seemed oddly muffled. Instead of a normal blogging project, today Jack was focused on the art of photography. Because of how sensitive some pokemon are and how restless he knew Watts would be on this trip, he had left the boltund back in the apartment. Without his partner pokemon, the solitude and quiet of the volcanic pass feels abnormal but also oddly peaceful.

A quiet snorting shakes Jack from his reverie and he carefully peers out from behind the shrub he knelt behind. Directly in front of him stands a beautiful ponyta, its flaming mane standing out against the harsh rock of the canyon walls. Slowly and purposefully, he brings his camera up and snaps away. With almost thoughtless speed he adjusts the camera settings, firing off the muffled click click click of the shutter as ash continues to fall.

As the pokemon lifts its head, Jack snaps one more shot before it gracefully leaps away, its mane streaming behind it as it disappears down the canyon. He smiles to himself before the buzz buzz buzz of a calendar notification vibrates through his phone. "I'm about halfway up the pass, near the signpost along the path. See you soon!" he taps into the phone and sends the message to Zev. He was surprised that the bar owner had actually read his blog and reached out after Jack had posted about Howling at the Moon, and even more surprised that the man had wanted to hang out. He was even willing to meet up on Jack's photography trip!

Brushing the dirt from the knees of his trousers, Jack heads toward the signpost meeting spot with his camera hanging from his neck.

MISSION: Poke Photobomb |

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,682 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2022 17:49:01 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
As exhausting as it is at times, the need to maintain his cover persona means having to maintain certain fake relationships and develop new ones. That's why Zev emailed Jack the other day about the blog post the latter had written about Howling. It was the perfect opportunity to initiate a friendship with the man. Whether Jack has use beyond strengthening Zev's façade remains to be seen, but that alone should be enough for now.

Zev's phone buzzes with the message from Jack. He reads it impassively, then looks through the falling ash at the landscape below. From the back of his Noctowl, he has the perfect view of the hiking trails and easily spots the other man waiting at a signpost.

"Land there," Zev instructs the bird Pokémon beneath him, pointing. The Noctowl complies, swooping down low and alighting upon the ground in a flare of wings and a cloud of ash. Zev slides off the Pokémon's back, pats her neck, and holds up a Pokéball for her to enter. After she disappears in a flash of red light, he turns toward Jack and offers his friendliest smile. He made sure to practice it plenty of times in the mirror that morning so it wouldn't look off.

"Hey!" he says to Jack, waving. "Interesting place to take photos."

close tab

played by

skyline

jack
he/him
twenty-six
august 12
Hulbury
bi
travel blogger
elite ranger
Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass.
awards
581 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jack
jack wainwright
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2022 20:00:50 GMT
jack wainwright Avatar

Jack's face breaks into a wide smile as Zev's noctowl alights nearby, the young man's hand already up and waving furiously before the older man even dismounts.

"Ha!" he responds Zev's comment about the locale, "That whiskey you gave me and Beau actually inspired me to make a visit for some photography." As soon as he closes his mouth, a flock of pidgey burst from cover in the distance. Lightning fast, Jack's camera is at the ready, the rapid-fire click click click of the shutter firing away as he aims over Zev's shoulder. As the flock disappears over the rim of the canyon, Jack takes a look at the digital display, rapidly flicking through photos of the bird pokemon set against the ashen grey sky. He nods approvingly to himself before turning back to Zev with a grin.

"Sorry, sometimes when you've got the shot, you have to take it," he explains apologetically as he lets the camera hang back around his neck.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,682 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2022 23:51:12 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev ducks as Jack swings the camera in his direction, hoping to avoid getting caught in the shot as the rapid fire click click click of the shutter goes off. "No, no, this is your area of expertise," he tells Jack upon hearing the other man's apology. "I'm just along for the ride."

Gazing up at the signpost, Zev considers their options. "With all this ashfall, we should probably stick to the public trails instead of wandering off on our own. Not that we'd have too much trouble if we got lost, since Noctowl can fly us to safety." He falls silent for a moment as he considers how best to spend the next couple of hours. "If you're up for it, we could actually go visit Lava Ridge Distillery. It's a bit of a hike, but worth it for the views and the whiskey tastings they do."

Plus, he could inquire with the elderly distiller about what it might cost to obtain another shipment of the prized liquor.

close tab

played by

skyline

jack
he/him
twenty-six
august 12
Hulbury
bi
travel blogger
elite ranger
awards
581 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jack
jack wainwright
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2022 1:16:29 GMT
jack wainwright Avatar

"Oh, great idea!" Jack agrees before checking the signpost and heading off in the direction of Lava Ridge Distillery. He didn't have any particular assignment for photos and even if none of these pokemon images turned out well, he might be able to grab so great stills at the distillery. He wouldn't really turn down another taste of their whiskey either. Hopefully they sell it cheaper at the distillery than it is at Zev's bar, he thinks, though he keeps his mouth firmly closed on the matter.

As they walk, Jack keeps his camera at the ready, snapping away at every opportunity. He even managed to get a couple of pictures of a group of baltoy sleeping upright on their finely balanced points before they awoke and spun away with their unsettling wailing. "So, how did you link up with this distillery anyway? Is there some type of alochol convention where you get to try a bunch of drinks before you get them for your bar?" Jack asks, his eyes scanning for more photo opportunities rather than focusing on his companion. "Lava Ridge is definitely a great choice though," he adds rather lamely, suddenly feeling a little embarrassed about his lack of alcohol knowledge.

Hearing the sharp crack of a dry twig, Jack instantly spins and drops to one knee with his camera up, another muffled burst of click click click issuing forth as he manages to photograph a numel crossing the path behind them.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,682 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2022 11:39:25 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
While they walk, Zev keeps an eye out for dangers, whether they take the form of Pokémon or people. Most casual hikers probably don't worry about such things, but instincts honed from years of hunting prey keep him on alert, even though he outwardly maintains a calm and relaxed demeanor.

"You're actually right," Zev replies to Jack's question. "Every year, I attend a couple of trade shows for bars and restaurants. All kinds of chefs, business owners, bartenders, suppliers, and industry professionals go, so I learn a lot and make connections. I met Mr. Tanaka and his daughter last year at one of them, and we arranged a business deal."

He waits for Jack to finish snapping photos of a passing Numel before they continue up the trail toward the distillery. "Enough about me, though," Zev says. "What made you decide to become a travel blogger and photographer? Why'd you come to Hoenn?"

close tab

played by

skyline

jack
he/him
twenty-six
august 12
Hulbury
bi
travel blogger
elite ranger
awards
581 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jack
jack wainwright
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2022 1:04:18 GMT
jack wainwright Avatar

Jack nods along, smiling at the thought of entire events dedicated to food and booze. I wonder if I could attend the next one as Zev's guest. It'd make a great series for the blog, he thinks wistfully to himself. Blog opportunities and food wrapped into one sounded like a dream come true.

Stopping briefly for a few more photos, Jack replies"Photography has always been a hobby of mine, ever since I was a kid. I try not to do it for work since it drains a little bit of the joy from it, but side gigs pay pretty well when I need them to. So I guess I never really made a decision to do it, it is just something I enjoy doing." He lowers his camera and scans the surroundings for more pokemon, but finds nothing.

Proceeding on down the path, he continues, "Blogging though, that was something I happened to fall into." Idly scanning as he walks, he reminisces, "We had taken a class trip to Turffield and had to write an essay about what we learned. My teacher submitted mine to a contest and I won a few poke dollars from it. The local news announced my win in the contest and a few of the tourism boards around Galar paid me to write some pieces for them. It just sort of snowballed from there until I was doing it as a job... managed to pay my way through uni with the money I made."

A strange boing boing begins to repeat over and over, the sound almost hypnotically carrying Jack off the path. Kneeling down in the tall grass, his camera back to his face, he begins snapping away at a group of spoinks bouncing playfully with one another in the ashfall. He murmurs to Zev, "After awhile the content in Galar started to dry up and I knew I needed to visit new places if I was going to keep the blog going and Hoenn has a lot to offer so here I am!"

Standing up from the group of playful spoinks, he turns and heads back toward the path. His attention turned toward his camera as he reviews some of the photos, he walks face-first into the side of a massive rhyhorn causing him to fall backward onto his ass as the pokemon swings its horned head around.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,682 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2022 10:41:34 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
"Sounds like you had a lucky break," Zev observes after Jack recounts the events that led to his current career. "Good for you, man. You're living a life a lot of people probably envy. Not saying that I'm one of those people," he adds quickly with a chuckle. "I like consistency. Running a bar is chaotic enough for me."

Movement in the corner of Zev's eye catches his attention. He turns in time to see a massive Rhyhorn lumber through the tall grass toward the two men. Zev immediately retreats, but Jack is only just standing up from taking photos of some Spoinks. "Jack!" Zev calls out in warning, but the blogger is taking his time meandering back to the trail, his head bowed as he stares intently at his camera's screen.

"Jack!" Zev shouts again, but it's too late. Jack bumps into the Rhyhorn as she passes, prompting the Pokémon to turn on him. Zev watches as Jack falls backward and disappears in the tall grass.

The Rhyhorn bellows and raises a massive foot to stomp on Jack.

"Shit!" Zev rips a Pokéball off his belt and tosses it into the air. "Protect Jack, Yamask!"

The small Ghost Pokémon erupts from her container and spreads her arms wide. A shimmering field engulfs the fallen man as Yamask casts PROTECT. The Rhyhorn's foot bounces right off the barrier, startling the large beast. Confused, she turns away from Jack toward the source of the shield. Upon seeing Zev and Yamask, she bellows again in irritation.

"Make it leave us alone," Zev instructs his Pokémon. With an eerie chirp, Yamask claps her little hands together in a DARK PULSE. Black and purple waves of shadow smash into the Rhyhorn from all sides. The much larger Pokémon flinches, then turns and plods away as fast as her legs can carry her.

"Good job, Yamask," her master says with a smile as he holds her Pokéball out again. She gives him another soft chirp before returning to the vessel. Zev then approaches Jack, who is still collapsed on the ground, a look of concern on his face. He reaches out a hand to help Jack up. "Hey, you okay?"

close tab

played by

skyline

jack
he/him
twenty-six
august 12
Hulbury
bi
travel blogger
elite ranger
awards
581 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jack
jack wainwright
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2022 1:22:57 GMT
jack wainwright Avatar

Letting out an explosive breath, Jack grabs Zev's hand and hoists himself to his feet. "Yeah, I'm all good, thanks to you. I don't think I've ever seen anyone fire a pokeball off that fast, let alone get a shield up!" he exclaims with nervous excitement, his pulse still pounding in his ears.

He gives himself a little shake, slapping dirt and dust off his pants until he is sure his hands have stopped shaking. He smiles reassuringly to Zev as he heads back to the trail, though he knows he is not doing a great job at it. He trudges along wordlessly, his confidence still shaken and embarrassment setting in at almost getting stomped to death by a rhyhorn. "I guess I owe you one," he says finally, "The first round is on me!"

Rounding a curve in the pass, the land begins to open up and the steep roofline of the distillery rises into view. The ash falls much less thickly here, and more people appear on the path heading to and from the main building of the compound. His embarrassment begins to fade and a youthful excitement propels him forward as his pace quickens and he eventually makes through the main doors.

The interior of the building seems even larger than it appears from the outside, with rough paneled wood reaching all the way up to the high ceilings. Taking up a third of the room is a large shop area filled with racks of liquor produced by the distillery, logoed clothing, and all different types of glassware. The other two-thirds are mostly occupied by the tables and chairs of the tasting room, with a small bar tucked tightly to one side. An enormous glass wall dominates the rear of the space, giving a spectacular view of the distilling towers and production floor beyond.

Weaving between the forest of metal tables and chairs, he reaches the bar and confidently says, "Two old fashioneds, please!"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,682 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2022 10:30:43 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev decides that offering an awkward smile to Jack's observation — "I don't think I've ever seen anyone fire a Pokéball off that fast" — is the best option in that moment. Jack certainly doesn't need to know about the lightning reflexes Zev has honed over the past nine years as someone who kills other people for a living. Let Jack chalk it up to luck. It's easier that way.

Zev remains silent as he walks with Jack up the rest of the trail, allowing the other man to stew in whatever thoughts and feelings had come with the near-death experience. Sometimes, Zev has observed over the years, it's better to let the other person withdraw into themselves for a while; it makes them feel like he is giving them space. He doesn't understand why it works, but they always seem appreciative of the gesture.

The sight of the distillery seems to lighten Jack's mood, however. Zev follows the other man inside and quickly scans the large room for any exits, hiding spots, good places for cover — that sort of thing. There are a few people shopping or drinking, too, so he remains alert as he trails Jack to the bar. Selecting a table in an ideal position for watching the entire room, Zev seats himself and covertly checks the knife hidden beneath his jacket, reassuring himself that he's well enough armed for any encounter at the distillery.

When Jack arrives at the table with the old fashioneds in hand, Zev says to him, "Tours here are only twenty bucks a person, and they run every hour. We could go on one, if you want. You could write a post for your blog about it."

close tab

played by

skyline

jack
he/him
twenty-six
august 12
Hulbury
bi
travel blogger
elite ranger
awards
581 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jack
jack wainwright
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2022 22:33:28 GMT
jack wainwright Avatar

Jack beams at Zev's suggestion of doing a tour for his blog. He must not be too aggravated for the rhyhorn thing with me if he is suggesting a tour, he thinks as he nods to the man. "Yeah, that would be great!" he replies cheerfully as he hands over a glass to the man.

Focusing his eyes on Zev, he raises his glass to the man and says "I really appreciate you saving me today after that blunder I made, and I appreciate your interest and support of my work. Even with all things considered, this has been a really good experience for me and I appreciate your friendship. Here's to you, mate." Tipping the glass in acknowledgment of the man, he taps it against the metal of the table with a thunk and takes a drink. "I saw the last tour group leaving when I was grabbing the drinks so we've probably got another twenty minutes before the next one. That should be just enough time for me to get some of these photos uploaded," he says while taking another sip and sliding his laptop from his pack. "I can upload, talk, and drink without running into a rhyhorn though, I promise."

To:

Zev,
Thought these matched the vibe of Howling at the Moon. Hope you like them!
-Jack

grim_majesty.jpg

A ponyta stands poised against the backdrop of dark stone. Its head is held high as if looking off into the distance. The usually brilliant color of its firey mane is subdued by the haze of ash which descends across the scene.

taking_flight.jpg

A flock of pidgey are frozen with wings spread, forming a wave with those in the upper left of the photo already in flight, those in the center launching into the air, and those in the bottom right crouched and ready to burst forth to the skies.

bouncing.jpg

A circle of spoinks are caught in various stages of springy leaps, the playful scene taking on a grim tone with the overcast sky captured above and the muted, ashy color palette of the photo.

guardians.jpg

A well dressed, middle-aged man stands resolutely in the center of the frame. Next to him floats a yamask, hands clasped together in an eerie gesture. The entire scene almost shimmers, as if it was captured through translucent glass or crystal.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,989 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2022 23:15:00 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: