Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 17:03:49 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Sometimes, Kurze wondered how his life got to this point. He may have been dented iron by now, but he was a lean, mean killing machine! In his time his pugnacious pack of Pawniards plundered Slateport's storehouses with remorseless resolve. Even when that wll came crashing down, he was still met with fear and respect wherever he passed. Why, he'd even fought Isaac's team 3 on 1 and nearly came out on top! Clearly, that was proof is brutal edge hadn't dulled one bit.[break][break]

So how in Arceus' name did he get stuck on babysitting duty!?[break][break]

He sighed and sulked as Sunny perched on his shoulders, sheltering him from the sun under his tremendous wingspan. The wayward bat had imprinted on him ages ago, back when he was just a little guy. Now they were the same height and it went from annoying to seriously annoying. But . . . hell, it seemed to make the Golbat happy to perch atop him while excitedly squeaking on about his day. So whatever.[break][break]

As they conversed, some of Isaac's other teammates were picking a touch more dynamic of an outlet for their bonding. Ivan excitedly rushed up and down the route, seeing how quickly he could could clear the distance. As he went, Vivi excitedly cheered him on, the Eevee's tail swishing back and forth like a living pom-pom.[break][break]

Ivan turned to smirk over his shoulder, tossing his mane to impress the Eevee . . . only to promptly realize he should've been looking where he was going. Maybe then he wouldn't have smacked face first intl that tree! Vivi practically rolled over laughing as a concerned Ringo flew past her, zooming down to check in on the dazed Jolteon. Luckily, the only thing he had injured was his pride, which earned the offending tree one nasty scowl in response.[break][break]

"See, Knux? Look how much fun they're having," Isaac pointed out to the Riolu standing by him. However, despite the envious glances she kept stealing in their general direction, she turned her nose up at the idea. "Okay, okay. I get it. You don't need to join in if you don't want to."[break][break]

Knuckles was . . . difficult. She was a mon of few words, prefering to quietly observe a situation from the sidelines and getting really tense, really soon if anyone infringed on her vigil. She wasn't much better with humans, either. She kept a safe distance away from them at all times, ignored any commands during training, and tended to lash out within the presence of any strong emotions. By now, Isaac knew to just keep calm and let her tackle things at their own pace. But there had to be more he could do here, right?[break][break]

Maybe that was why he rang up an old camping friend to hang out. Not only could he tucker out his more rambunctious team members, but he also might have a clue about how to bring Knuckles out of her shell.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2022 4:34:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The second to last race of the 2022 season was rapidly approaching, and it was an aerial one. Aerial races introduced the third dimension as an additional challenge, and made controlling flying Pokémon that weren't momentum-based a real challenge. Having to think about pitch, yaw, and thrust was a real adjustment for Josh. He had the basics down, but he didn't have the equivalent of a drift turn in the air, which made a big difference on the courses the Feseration tended to include at the end of the season. The season's final race was traditionally at the most challenging course on the circuit.

"Alright, Resheph, let's practice this! First, start off with your Agility!" Josh commanded, the Dragonair obliging and putting on a burst of speed. "Three...two...one...now!" Josh leaned hard to his right, and his serpentine mount entered a dizzying corkscrew powering a very sharp diving turn to the right. He was woozy afterward but still had his wits about him. "Whoo! We did--watch your altitude!" Roadside trees whipped past him, then a familiar face from the camping site. "ISAAC! LOOK OUT!" he screamed as the Dragonair hurtled just above where his new friend was babysitting for, leaving quite the windburst in her wake!

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Crash         Boltund        Good
Blitz         Luxray         Good
Raiden        Zebstrika      Good
Ares          Charizard      Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good

{WC: 209}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 4, 2022 5:04:04 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Luckily for Isaac, the Dragonair hadn't broken the sound barrier. But, boy, did it sound close![break][break]

Kurze perked up in excitement, drawing his wrist blades and roaring out a challenge to the Dragonair. Then he realized that, no, it was just one of his human's silly friends. That was way less exciting. Poor Sunny wasn't so lucky, the Golbat being tossed around by air streams and desperately trying to flail itself into a controlled glide. Instead, it fell into a heap on top of Knuckles, who glowered as she rather brusquely knocked him aside. Isaac, who was ducking and covering, was happy to help the poor thing up.[break][break]

Ivan had finally snapped out of his daze! At least, of course, until the sonic boom of Josh's descent shook the trees clear of any and all fruit. A few apples rained down on the Jolteon's head, sending him into yet another daze. Poor Ringo wailed as he tried to check on the dizzy Jolteon, while Vivi giggled before giving him an affectionate nuzzle.[break][break]

"Hell of an entrance there," said as he popped out from the rock he was using for cover. There was a good natured, albeit somewhat teasing, grin up on his face as he waved. You know. His typical vibe. "I'd ask what you're up to, but something tells me I've already got a clue."[break][break]

Isaac had already learned that, 9 times out of 10, the answer was probably racing.[break][break]

"Gonna guess that was a speed record attempt gone a little too right, eh?"

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 5, 2022 18:48:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was relieved Isaac was so lighthearted over his disturbing entrance. While Resheph was not capable of flying anywhere close to the speed of sound (yet), she was fast enough to leave quite a wake. She pulled out of the dive and wheeled back toward Isaac, slowing to a just-above-ground hover near him. Josh had to catch his breath before responding to his recent friend.

"More like working on a really tight turn," Josh answered. "One thing I've found Resheph isn't great at is sparp turns, and we're trying to figure out the best method for it. I think once I refine this, though, it will work well." The Dragonair cooed at Isaac, her ears perking up. Josh's attention, though, was on Ivan. "What a cutie!" he smiled toward the Jolteon. "Mine is still stuck in customs. I miss Blinky so much." He described a Jolteon that was positively enormous for the species' size; big enough to be a ride Pokémon, but by a narrow margin at that. "Nice to see you out here, though; what's new?"

{WC: 178}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2022 3:41:33 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Huh! Were Dragonair bad at turning? With how long and serpentine their body was, Isaac had figured they'd be really good at twisting themselves into all sorts of configurations. But maybe that was the problem in the first place, huh? The Dragonair probably ended up bending instead of turning unless it really put a lot of movement into twisting its whole body. It wasn't like it had any limbs it could push off of the ground to make the process easier, either.[break][break]

"Have you tried teaching it a move that could help?" Isaac asked. "Maybe the water pressure of an Aqua Tail could help turn it around. Like a little jet turning the rest of its body in the right direction or something." Not that Isaac had the best idea of how this all worked. But the least he could do was try, right?[break][break]

Isaac couldn't help but smile as Josh cooed over his Jolteon. Ivan sounded very different from the trainer's own. Isaac didn't even know Eeveelutions came in sizes big enough to ride. Though, customs? Urk. That didn't sound too good. Isaac thought about asking Josh if he knew what side of customs they were talking here. If that Pokemon hadn't crossed into Hoenn before the barrier came up . . .[break][break]

Yeah, no. Josh felt things very strongly. The last thing Isaac wanted to do was inflict that pain on him.[break][break]

"Hopefully you'll have the chance to see him soon," Isaac said. "Must've traveled far to come here if customs are giving you that much shit, huh? Where are you from?"[break][break]

He figured that'd be a much better question than asking what he was up to, because hoo boy. That gun was so loaded, it might explode if you looked at it funny. Where would he even begin? The traumas that came for him twice in rapid succession, like a jab into an uppercut? The whirlwind romance with Cygne, which was adorable as fuck until the part where they were both active criminals? The active work being performed for an organization that Josh clearly had no love lost for? Yeah, no. Not saying a friggin word here.[break][break]

"I'm doing pretty alright," he said, waving those thoughts away. "Just getting by, day by day. You?"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]377 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2022 22:46:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Isaac's young Pokémon were a lot tougher than they looked, being able to hold up against the wake Resheph's high speed turn left meant they were strong even at a young age. "She already knows Aqua Tail," Josh answered. "That's not a bad idea, though; might try that next time. And if it doesn't work, can't say I didn't try!" Resheph was trying to make small talk with Ivan while their trainers bonded alongside them.

"She," Josh corrected. "But I hope so, too. She needs me, too." He pulled up on his phone the last photo he had another person take alongside the Jolteon, primarily to illustrate the scale of just how large she was. "I got her from a breeder who bred her specifically for racing, but later found out she was bred for straight-line sprints. Kind of like drag racing but with Pokémon. That's not the kind of racing I do."

Memories of that horrible day came flooding back, ones he shared with Isaac. Blinky's claws were long and thin compared to those of most Jolteon; they were bred specifically to be good at accelerating in straight paths. Making high speed turns put a tremendous amount of stress on them; so much, that one day when he was doing a time trial with her, all of her front claws snapped off, leaving the Jolteon in immense pain.

"She had to have surgeries on all four of her feet as a result, and even have artificial claws implanted," Josh continued, his voice turning somber. "Before that, she couldn't even defend herself. She absolutely would never make it in the wild as she was. But since her surgeries, she's been an amazing Pokémon to race. It's the implants that have her caught up in customs; they're waiting on the Hoennian Regional Medical Board to rule whether the surgery she had is legal in Hoenn."

When asked about where he came from, Josh was happy to entertain Isaac. "Goldenrod, in Johto," he answered. "Was supposed to just spend the summer here, but with the whole meteor situation trapping us in Hoenn, I might end up moving here permanently. I really like it here. Good to see you're still hanging tough."

When his question was reversed, Josh let out a sigh. "Still trying to learn the ropes of my new job. It's...very different than what I used to do. But it's a lot more fulfilling. I'm now Ranging as an intern near Fortree, but I'll probably end up relocating once I'm out of training."

{WC: 426}
{PC: 3}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 0:50:19 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"That's the spirit," Isaac said, grinning. "I've always felt like a move's capable of way more than just hitting someone, y'know? Like-" Mmm, no. Like distracting someone with a Blizzard was maybe the worst analogy Isaac could've said. Sure, Josh would know firsthand how effective it was. But, man, did Josh know firsthand how effective it was.[break][break]

"Like how you use those speed boosting moves to cover extra ground," Isaac said. "You already know it'd be a waste to see a burst of speed like that and think its only purpose is for a slightly quicker tackle. Pay close attention to how other moves work, and who knows? You might surprise yourself with what you find."[break][break]

And Isaac was similarly surprised by just what Blinky was like. It was one thing to hear about big Eevees. It was another to see one. Damn. How did ones that big even exist? Though, between that and the overly thin claws Josh described, Isaac had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't entirely without human intervention. That was a very specific breed of Jolteon, exaggerated to the point where it wasn't even safe for the poor thing. Isaac made a mental note to pay a little visit to whoever was running that drag racing circuit. Not that they were in Hoenn, from the sound of things. That meant they were safe for now.[break][break]

Briefly, Isaac wondered if it was okay to make a Pokemon who had been through something like that race. But, hell, he had gotten his team of lovable little dorks into criminal activities, so was he really one to talk? Okay, yeah, no, Isaac wasn't getting himself on this train of thought. "I'm just glad she's okay now," Isaac said, smiling softly.[break][break]

Okay. So Josh saw the faction warring and literal threat of impending meteor doom, and still wanted to move here? "Man, you're wild," Isaac said, a small, good natured laugh escaping him. "Sometimes, I see everything that's going on around here and feel like I should look for the first ferry out. Maybe move to Alola, get some peace and quiet for a change. But, hell, in more peaceful times there really is something special about Hoenn."[break][break]

So he was officially a ranger after all. Considering how readily he leaped into the fire, Isaac wasn't very surprised. "Not bad! The training going well so far?" he asked. "And is there any place you're hoping to end up stationed in?"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]409 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 3:28:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Now whether that's legal for racing will be up to the Federation," Josh added. "That's why you usually see Quick Attack, Aqua Jet, Agility, Double Team, and Extreme Speed. Those are the most common ones across lots of Pokémon, and they've all been Federation-approved since the beginning." Aqua Tail had been considered in the early days of Pokémon racing, but its legality was shot down due to safety concerns. Other moves had gone on and off the legal list before; perhaps he could start a petition for them to reconsider the use of Aqua Tail.

Josh sighed when it looked like Isaac was in deep thought over Blinky. "She still runs real fast. Faster than any of my Pokémon here. Definitely not a Pokémon for anyone but an expert rider. She also had to be custom-fitted because of her quills." That cost him a pretty penny, both in the cost of the materials and in labor. Fitting a Jolteon with a saddle was dangerous work. Tanners dreaded fitting electric-types in general due to how nasty their shocks were, but Jolteon in particular had that added danger of very sharp quills that could make Swiss cheese out of a worker's hands.

Josh did a double take when Isaac told him he was a wild one. "I've been called a lot of names in my life, but wild is not one of them." He chuckled alongside Isaac as he listened to the younger trainer's concerns about leaving Hoenn. "You know...up until about two weeks ago, I felt the same way. But then..." He thought about 's words about sharing his dream with others. The dream of meeting and befriending Raikou. The one he held near and dear to his heart since before he became a trainer in the first place. "...Something happened, and I just felt like I couldn't stand idle any longer and watch the conflict play out. I had to take a side."

Until prompted, Josh never thought about where he would want to be stationed. Wherever the work was, that was mostly what he cared about. "Admittedly, it would be nice to be stationed next to Mauville, near my Gym. I don't know if I told you on our camping trip, but it did finally get approved. Since the racing season runs between April and October only, I need another part-time job to keep me afloat." He couldn't help but laugh at how things turned out.

At the mention of the Gym, Saber started rolling and rattling his Poké Ball from within. He listened to the call, withdrawing Resheph and letting himself fall to his own two feet before releasing his Manectric and sitting down next to him, still opposite of Isaac. The Electric-type let out a howl. "So what's funny is I applied to be a Gym Leader, then that thing happened. You know, the thing I talked about before." He was still hesitant to talk about his vision of Raikou with Isaac. "Well, it was after that I gave up the Gym Challenge to start Ranging. So now I'm stuck with both. I'll do most of my Ranging and taking on challengers between November and March."

{WC: 535}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 3:55:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]That's a good point. As much as Isaac was thinking outside the box, structured events probably had pesky things like "rules" and "regulations" to worry about. This was why Isaac was always more of a fan of the underground, himself. Anything was fair play, if you were clever and determined enough. And if you weren't? Well, that sounded like a you problem. Was it any wonder that he preferred sticking to Rocket? And then, upon getting to Rocket, started coloring outside of their lines as well? Though what Rocket considered coloring outside the lines, others probably considered being a good, by the book person, so maybe he was actually coloring inside the lines after all . . .[break][break]

Ugh. This was getting too recursive. Isaac's head was starting to hurt.[break][break]

"I can get that," he said, forcing his brain onto the original topic come hell or high water. "Like, yeah, a good Hydro Pump or Fire Blast could probably knock a lighter Pokemon around too, but that'd probably be way too much of a risk for everyone on the field. So I can get wanting to get some lines drawn."[break][break]

So Blinky was the fastest even by Josh's standards? Damn. Those were some lofty standards to fill. Though he wasn't surprised Pokemon saddles were a bitch and a half to get made. They came in so many different sizes and shapes that, if you wanted anything off the beaten path, it probably took a lot of specific negotiating. Also, Isaac considered this a reminder to get a saddle for his Rhyhorn. Pulling off that switcheroo between his bike and his Rhyhorn was maybe the second most pain his ass had ever been in.[break][break]

The faction war may have been a literal pain in Isaac's ass, but for Josh it only sounded like a motivator. Apparently something big happened. So big that Josh needed to formally take a side. Was it their clash? No, no. It sounded like there was more gravitas to it than that. "What happened?" Isaac asked, before realizing that it might've been a bit personal or sensitive of a topic. Maybe it'd be better to stick to a more general question. "Nobody got hurt or anything, did they?"[break][break]

Then again, getting more into Hoenn politics wasn't much of a surprise. After all, the guy was a gym leader now, too! "That's right! I remember you getting all hyped about that at the bonfire," Isaac said. "Ironic timing, huh? But at least it means you're getting a lot of experience under your belt really quick. Hopefully, all those jobs build on each other instead of burning your candle at every end." He wasn't the only one with three big jobs nowadays. Between being a Rocket Grunt, setting up the Bazaar, and working with Zev at his bar to make ends meet, Isaac was also finding himself juggling the intricate schedule of the threefold part timer.[break][break]

Ivan mewled lazily at Saber as the Manectric came out, Vivi poking out from behind his sparking fluff and also yipping a hello. By now, Ringo had left the two behind, him and Sunny flying circles around each other while Kurze folded his arms and lazily kept an eye on the two of them. Isaac couldn't help but smile at the peaceful vision. He was glad that his team was both playing nicely with others and keeping themselves busy to avoid overwhelming poor Josh.[break][break]

It was just a shame that Knuckles still didn't seem to be getting it. Occasionally, Vivi or Ringo shot a look her way, but she simply turned her nose up at their invitations. Maybe Isaac needed to think of something dramatic to catch her interest . . . but what could that possibly be?

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]625 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 5:03:42 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Isaac was a bright kid. Despite having no knowledge in the field of racing, his common sense was top notch. He seemed like the type of person that could pick up any job or hobby pretty quickly. "Yep. It's just a safety issue," Josh confirmed. "In the early days of the Federation, injuries to Pokémon and riders were commonplace. A higher level of contact was accepted, and there were many more serious accidents. It didn't take much of that for many of the standards we follow today to be established. In the decade-plus the modern Federation has been around, there have only been two fatal crashes since."

Isaac seemed to be getting pushy about the event that Josh was dancing around talking about. He let out a deep sigh. "I..." Another one. "I..." Elinor's words came to mind about avoiding keeping his dream bottled up. "Isaac, this is going to sound so childish, but...I want to meet and ride Raikou. Even if it's only once." He began rambling about the electric tiger as the Johtonian legends depicted it, taking a big breath after every sentence. "That was the reason I chose Saber as my first Pokémon. That's why I gave up the Gym Challenge to be a Ranger."

Isaac seemed very happy that his Gym was finally open. "All this awful stuff going on in the news. I want to meet Raikou and be his partner in stopping all this and make Hoenn peaceful again. And moving up the chain of command with the Rangers and gaining rapport with the Gym Leaders feels like the best way to make that happen." He could not hold a few tears back after letting that off his shoulders.

As he leaned over to reach for a handkerchief to wipe his face with, he accidentally clicked the release mechanism on Resheph's Poké Ball. The Dragonair had only been in her Poké Ball for minutes before coming back out. Sensing Josh's tears, she wrapped her tail around the trainer's arm and forced him back to his feet. She floated between Isaac and Josh and let out a coo. "You want to go flying again already? Now?" As Josh walked toward her, she floated closer to Isaac, until the three were next to each other.

{WC: 382}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 14:17:47 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]It was a bit of a shocker to hear how common injuries used to be, especially with how robust Pokemon were. But considering A) the Pokemon were also moving a lot faster than normal battling speed and B) there were entire people on their backs, it wasn't too surprising. Physics tended to be the real scariest participant on any given battlefield. "Glad to hear things have smoothed over since then," Isaac said.[break][break]

Of course, no safety or regulation covered what happened next. Riding on Raikou's back, huh? Whether just once, or as a loyal fighter by his side. It was a subject that Josh was clearly passionate about. Very, very passionate about. Part of it felt kind of farfetched indeed. However, there was almost something inspiring about that sheer level of conviction. "Hey, you're working towards making it happen," Isaac pointed out. "Better than just sitting around all day and hoping, right? Way I see it, if it's making your life better than it'd be otherwise, there's nothing silly about it."[break][break]

It helped that Isaac knew all too well how true the legends were. Part of him wished he could tell Josh about all the things he had seen. The avatar of Xerneas. The mythicals that Eris tended to on the sub. His run in with the Mew-Man. But all of those were too tied to the wrong identity, and that was not a topic Isaac wanted broaching. A shame. If he knew just how possible it was, maybe it'd give him the motivation he needed. Instead, all he could do was give a knowing smile. "Sides, when's the last thing anything's seemed impossible around here?[break][break]

In his overwhelmed state, Josh's Dragonair came from her ball. So, too, did opportunity. "Man, you're lucky," Isaac said, casually stretching out a little. "That sounds like a heck of a rush. I mean, I saw how fast you were going up there. Never seen anything quite like it before. Just being up so high up in the air, not a care in the world, the ground turning into this green blur below you as you're rushing faster than the wind itself."[break][break]

Knuckles' ears perked up. That was the shot. Time for the chaser. "Heh. My team's up for a lot, but I doubt they could handle that," he said, peeking ever so slightly over his shoulder. Knuckles tried to hold her tongue. She really did. But in the end, her curiosity and pride overcamer her will. She took a half step forward, barking out a challenge.[break][break]

It seemed Josh wasn't the only one that wanted to fly today.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST / l

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 1:55:48 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"...Thank you," Josh sobbed for a few more seconds before shaking his head to discharge his electric emotions. "Like I said, just look at what's been going on in the news," he added, lost in thought about Isaac's remark over the impossible happening. "They'll stop it. I know the Hoenn League has the people and the resources to stop it. After the radio tower incident when I was younger..." Josh paused; if anything was going to give a big red flag to Isaac just how dangerous he was to the other side, it was the mention of the Goldenrod Radio Tower takeover. "...and now, the Hoenn League being super tight-lipped about the meteoroid, I have my doubts. I want to take matters into my own hands. I want to say I tried."

Isaac's remarks about how free Josh felt when he was in the air with Resheph perked him right up. The Dragonair cooed at the shorter young man, then her trainer. While he didn't mention it directly because it would be quite rude to ask such a question, Josh was able to read between the lines and infer what his new friend was referring to. The metaphorical bright lightbulb went off and blinded the rest of his thoughts. He reached for Isaac's arm in an impulsive moment to drag him next to the floating dragon. "Then what's stopping us! Let's ride!" he exclaimed, slamming his helmet visor down and locking it into the closed position. He swung aboard the excited-looking Dragonair, sitting as far back in her saddle as possible to allow Isaac to ride shotgun, if he wanted.

{WC: 270}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 2:58:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Ugh. Yeah. The meteor. Even Josh seemed to have his doubts about the League when faced with it. Yes. Good. Ask questions. Never accept what anyone tells you straight out. Even a goodie two shoes like him could do that. But a ranger and a gym leader was maybe the worst person to voice those thoughts to, so instead he continued to settle for the diplomatic approach. "The more people doing something, the better, if you ask me," Isaac said. "Something tells me it's gonna take everyone putting their heads together to make this work."[break][break]

Maybe that'd come from pressuring the League to science up a better solution. Maybe that'd come from everyone finding a way to beseech some sort of legendary to bail them out. Maybe everyone would just take matters into their own hands and beat the everloving piss out of this meteor. But it was going to take all hands on deck.[break][break]

And this was a hand who had some very bad experience with Rocket, from the sounds of things. Maybe with time, Josh would see that the League wasn't all it was cracked up to be. But there was no chance in hell the two of them would ever stand on the same side, huh? And if he did bond with Raikou, he'd end up very, very capable of acting on all that bad experience.[break][break]

Maybe another Rocket would want to handle this threat preemptively. The idea of what some of these sickos in Rocket would do if they knew . . .[break][break]

If their paths crossed, so be it. But there were lines Isaac wouldn't cross, and this was sure as hell one of them.[break][break]

That meant him and Josh were, in at least some sense, in this together. It was a feeling that Josh quickly reciprocated by grabbing Isaac by the arm, leading him over towards his Dragonair. It seemed the two would be going for a little ride after all! "Sounds good to me!" he cheered. He fumbled in his bag, pulling out a pair of goggles and slipping them on. They were usually meant for braving Hoenn's deserts, but screw it, they'd do in a pinch! He then tossed the bag aside to spare some of the weight, swinging onto the free space on the Dragonair's saddle.[break][break]

Isaac could feel Knuckles' eyes lock onto him. "Well, off to have a once in a lifetime opportunity," he said. "Such a shame you guys can't make it. But, hey, I'm sure the next time we see Josh, you guys might be a bit more up for it-"[break][break]

And, nope! Knuckles wasn't having that! Letting out an eager bark, she sprang into Isaac's lap, hellbent on not missing out on this. A small, satisfied grin spread across Isaac's face. Now that's how you get someone out of their shell! "Alright. We're ready now," Isaac said, huffing in a mix of annoyance and anticipation.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]488 WORDS /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,039 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 4:14:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Ultimately, the principles of the bonds between our Pokémon and their trainers can also be applied to bonds between friends," Josh replied, his thoughts drifting back to when he and Saber raced in the Johtonian Bronze League and rapidly ascended through its ranks. "There's nothing teamwork can't accomplish." It was true; a trainer and their Pokémon together were far greater than the sum of their individual strengths.

Josh let out a whoop as he firmly held Resheph's reins, excited to bring his new friend on a thrilling flight he wouldn't soon forget. Unlike most birds, who needed to maintain a certain minimum speed to maintain the lift necessary for flight, the Dragonair simply floated into the air, gently swishing her tail for thrust. The inner workings powering their flight had been a mystery to scientists since the species was discovered over two decades ago, but that did not make them any less desirable. What was important was the flight worked and was stable.

Once they were airborne, Resheph started circling the field that the rest of Isaac's Pokémon were in, building up speed for the true takeoff. While Josh couldn't feel the wind in his face due to his helmet, the wind spitting in Isaac's face had to be something he had never felt in this way before. While they weren't going particularly fast by Josh's standards, it had to be quite the experience for his guest. "Alright, we're taking off now!" the racer announced, giving Isaac ample warning to brace himself. The Dragonair let out a loud coo as Josh tugged down and back on her reins. With a stronger undulating motion powered by her swishing tail, Resheph soared rapidly skyward in a spiral that was tight but not uncomfortably so.

When the dragon-type and her riders leveled off, they were well above the ground and could see for miles. Both downtown Mauville and downtown Verdanturf were visible and gorgeous looking on the overcast but dry day. The Chimney mountain range was a sight to see, too. Hoenn looked positively enchanting from this high up. "What do you think?" Josh asked Isaac now that the flight was more calm. They were still flying at a brisk pace, but they no longer had to deal with the complex takeoff maneuvers. "Hoenn is so beautiful. I couldn't bear to see it wiped out."

{WC: 395}
{PC: 7}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,320 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 14:54:40 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Even teamwork had its limits, of course. It was unlikely that a single human and Pokemon, even working in sync, could singlehandedly derail this meteor. But outside of that, Isaac was all too happy to agree with Josh. It was something about Rocket that drove him crazy. A tool was only as good as its wielder. A bond was far greater than the sum of their parts. Why didn't they see that?[break][break]

Perhaps that was all the more reason to make his mark. Then they'd see.[break][break]

But for now, Isaac was seeing something else. The Hoenn region stretched out before him, a mass of green grass, brown stone, and pale sands nestled into the embrace of the deep blue ocean. The buildings dotted below almost looked like little toys from here, pieces of a great game that the whole world had been playing.[break][break]

Specks moved through the city streets and rolling grasslands; peoplr? Pokemon? Both? Milotic and Wailord breached from the oceans, some of the few life forms big enough to actually take shale from so high in the sky. Occasionally flocks of Wingull or Tailow flew past, skimming the skies but never daring to fly so high as Resheph did.[break][break]

"It really is," he said, speaking up to try and be heard over the whipping winds. They stung at his face on the way up, but now they were just a pleasant, welcoming experience. "Clearly, I gotta get my ass in gear and train up a flier for my team! I've been missing out!"[break][break]

As they spoke, Knuckles simply watched the region from above in a state of quiet awe. Her world had always been such a small one. Was there always this much lying just over the horizon?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]