6,128 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 7:47:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had flown up high with Resheph before, well above the common bird Pokémon gliding beneath them. He slowly turned the flying serpent toward the mountains to give Isaac a good look at them. While they towered well above their current altitude and Resheph could easily fly high enough to reach the upper trails, the two riders were not equipped to fly at such high altitudes. Not only would it get too cold for the two in summer clothes, but the thinning atmosphere could lead to hypoxia. It was a real threat to riders of Pokémon that were capable of reaching extremely high altitudes, such as dragons.

The dragon did float a hit higher at Josh's command, Isaac able to get a good look over the valleys north of Mauville and the canyons of the Great Desert now. "If you can handle it, how about we go faster, Isaac?" Josh asked, smiling beneath his helmet. Provided Isaac was okay with it, he released a lot of pressure on the reins, causing the Dragonair to enter a shallow dive and pick up a lot of speed. He slowly released the pressure more, signaling to his dragon to decrease her angle-of-attack further. The two felt a sensation of becoming progressively lighter as Resheph continued to shed altitude.

Once Josh felt their descent rate was getting a bit dangerous for a guest rider to handle, Josh pulled back sharply on Resheph's reins. "Resheph, AGILITY!" The weightlessness quickly turned into a sensation of their own weight multiplying as she quickly reversed course, ascending like a roller coaster at its peak G-force. It felt like they were being squeezed toward the dragon's saddle while she was pulling up. "Wheeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaa!!!" Josh cried, the adrenaline rush coursing through every vessel in his body. Truly, there was nothing like being atop a serpentine dragon. This was the real reason he never planned on evolving the Dragonair even when she grew enough to do so.

Josh guided the Dragonair toward the direction of Verdanturf again, making sure to be well clear of the Rusturf Mountain Range before simply keeping a steady amount of pressure on the reins, encouraging her to fly in a straight line while the increased speed from her Agility wore off. "You want your hands at the reins, Isaac?" Josh offered. "She's a smart one and will keep us safe if she thinks you're being reckless! And if I have to, I can take over, too!"

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Crash         Boltund        Good
Blitz         Luxray         Good
Raiden        Zebstrika      Good
Ares          Charizard      Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good

{WC: 411}
{PC: 8}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 23:34:15 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Now they were flying around the very mountains themselves. They weren't properly equipped to face the peaks, but they were still higher up on one than Isaac had ever been before. Okay, he thought diving was pretty neat, but clearly the skies beat out the seas in at least some regards. Flapjack helped him see the depths of the ocean; maybe in the future, another Pokemon would help him brave the air.[break][break]

And despite all this, Josh only wanted to go faster. "Damn, for real?" Isaac asked. "We're not even at peak speed yet?" Briefly, he tried to consider just how much he could handle. This was his first time riding a Pokemon so high, so fast, for so long. He didn't really have much time to prepare, and he knew that things had a tendency to get intense when Josh was around. All of his Pokemon were far down below, and he wouldn't be able to whistle them over in case he needed a quick bail-out. The idea sounded awesome, but maybe for once he'd need to-[break][break]

Knuckles let out a yip of assent. Well, so much for waiting![break][break]

And with that, the two descended and ascended like riders on a dragon-themed rollercoaster. It was equal parts terrifying and exhilarating. Isaac held tightly onto Knuckles with both arms, then wrapped his legs around Resheph to ensure he didn't end up sliding off of the dragon. Luckily, it didn't seem like he'd be falling off even if he tried. The sheer amount of g-force from the Dragonair's flight left him practically glued to the thing.[break][break]

What was once a landscape had blurred into an impressionist painting. Both Isaac and Knuckles shouted from the rush, though the sound was snuffed out by the sheer speed and pressure of the wind surrounding them. Their guts had been left way back before Resheph's Agility kicked in, but they didn't care. This was incredible![break][break]

As they slowed down to a steadier pace, Josh made his offer. If Isaac was hesitantly weighing his options before, now he was having far too much of a rush to back down. "It'd be my pleasure," Isaac said, gently yet eagerly taking the reins in hand. "So, how do we do this? Just lead the way and I'll follow, okay?"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]381 WORDS /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody b]color:#d9b800;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,128 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2022 0:31:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After Josh's whoop of joy, he had to catch his breath as Resheph slowed to a still brisk, but more reasonable, pace. "Whew!" he let out another cry. While racing was fun, he hadn't been able to go for a simple, yet thrilling, joyride on the Dragonair in quite some time. "Oh, that wasn't even close to peak speed. If you want to see her at her peak speed, all you gotta do is tell her to use Extreme Speed." Though Isaac couldn't see it, there was a giant grin on his face. He had never ridden on an Extreme Speeding Pokémon before; Resheph was the only one on his team who could use it, and she just mastered the Sacred Arte recently.

He had forgotten just how fun it was to be at gravity's mercy atop the serpentine dragon, going from the feeling of near-weightlessness to being squeezed against her back in a split second. "Hold level flight for a bit, will you Resheph?" The Dragonair nodded and maintained a steady altitude.

Once they were leveled off, Josh handed Isaac Resheph's reins, then wrapped his arms around the small boy's waist with just enough force to comfortably stay mounted. "So Isaac, the best way to control Resheph is to imagine you're tugging on a giant joystick with the reins," the racer started to teach his friend. "Hold a constant pressure on them, and she'll fly steady. Pull back on her to make her fly up, and loosen your hold to make her fly down. If you pull with just one hand, she'll turn. You can also turn by just leaning in the direction you want her to go. And lastly, you can vary your leg pressure for speed changes." Josh let out a hum of thought. Did he miss something? Ah, he did. "And if you're uncomfortable with any of that, she listens to direct verbal commands, too."

Now not having to focus on controlling Resheph, Josh took in the view from above once more. Even from their lower altitude, the mountain range was a sight to see. He relinquished complete control over to Isaac and prepared himself to be a passenger on whatever wild thrill ride Isaac was about to take him on.

{WC: 376}
{PC: 9}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2022 5:10:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Okay. This wasn't as bad as Isaac thought. This really just boiled down to pressure and direction. Steady pressures, steady speed and height. Less pressure, dip down or slow down. More pressure, pull up or speed up. Direction, with either his reins or his leaning, would get the Dragonair turning. "Alright. I think I get the basics," Isaac said. "You just sit back and enjoy the view while I get us going, okay?"[break][break]

Yes. The basics. He was going to take things nice and easy. There were plenty of things that Isaac did recklessly, but the reins of a dragon he'd never even seen before was neither the time nor the place. Even if this Dragonair was capable of Extreme Speed. The fastest rush in the Pokemon world. Something that, judging by the big, goofy grin on Josh's face, he was all too proud of.[break][break]

Not yet, not yet. There was no sense in going for style points when you were trying to ride the bunny slopes. "Alright, Resheph," Isaac said, voice warm and excited. "Let's do this!"[break][break]

At first, he made sure to keep things nice and simple. Sure, he was used to faster speeds on the back of his motorcycle than the gentle drift he was currently going at. But he knew how to control his motorcycle, and he still needed to get to that point with Resheph before he felt comfortable matching that speed. Besides, unlike the motorcycle, Resheph literally flew; an accident here would involve way more falling, and Isaac did not fancy himself a fall guy.[break][break]

Nevertheless, the more time Isaac spent flying around in circles, the more quickly he started to adapt. "You're doing great, Resheph! Let's kick it up a notch!" Isaac said, giving his legs a little squeeze for emphasis. It still wasn't going to be the blistering speeds that Josh and Resheph would be used to, but Isaac was really starting to get into the spirit. He even began guiding the reins up and down, the Dragonair cresting through the air like a rolling wave.[break][break]

"You trained Resheph really well," Isaac commented to Josh, clearly finding the Dragonair easier to handle than he expected. Had this been a wild one, he would've been having a far worse time right about now. "I'm impressed!"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]382 WORDS /

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,128 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2022 3:15:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was really starting to feel the adrenaline coursing through his body; while it was thrilling being at the reins of a nimble Pokémon like Resheph, it was a different kind of thrilling to be a mere passenger on said Pokémon. Even circling above the Valley of Steel was breathtaking; with the two being at altitude, they could nearly the entire canyon every time Isaac guided her around the south. "I could spend day after day soaring above Hoenn and never get tired of it," Josh said, his mind lost in the region's pristine beauty. While he wasn't a fan of the tropical climate, the warm weather had other benefits, such as the potential for a year-long racing season. He might have to mount a camera to something next time he soared this high; the view of Hoenn from thousands of feet in the air was unforgettable.

The racer was caught a little off guard when Isaac not only sped the dragon up, but skillfully guided her into an undulating flight pattern that made him happy he had planned on eating a late lunch. "Wahoo!" Josh shouted at the top of a particularly sharp undulation. "This is why Resheph is my favorite way to fly. Dragonair are so graceful, yet so powerful and swift. You could show me a tamed Zapdos and I still wouldn't fly on him if it meant giving up Resheph." It was a harsh remark; riding a legendary Pokémon was a common dream among young children unfamiliar with the different rules they had for bonding with humans. After all, that dream was one that had stuck with Josh. And no matter the adversity, he would never stop believing in the one he felt he had a connection to. Even if it wound up being a false faith, it was still his faith, and it was that faith that drove him to give his all in everything he did.

"Thanks!" Josh replied. "She has to be. They are difficult to raise, but they're some of the most rewarding Pokémon to have once you've forged that bond. They're definitely not a good first Pokémon, or even second or third. But once you're ready, I highly recommend catching one."

{WC: 375}
{PC: 9}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2022 17:25:48 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]There was a joy to being able to do the same thing, day in and day out, without ever tiring of it. Isaac envied it a little. The pull towards Something was powerful and inevitable for him. He always had to be on the hunt for some sort of novelty; adventures, experiences, people. Sometimes he fell into hobbies he never even expected to discover, or fell into once in a lifetime oppprtunities that he didn't even feel worthy of. It was exciting, but also tiring.[break][break]

For all his three-pronged goals and distant dreams, Josh knew what he was about. That kind of thing was unfortunately rare.[break][break]

"Good," Isaac said as he compared Resheph to even Zapdos. "There are a lot of Pokemon out there. Even myths abd legends themselves. But the ones you have here all have one thing in common: they're yours. Believe in them with all you've got and they'll do better by you than any legendary could." Was it hyperbole? Maybe a little. But Kyogre itself could breach from the waters to handpick Isaac, but if it meant giving Watson up Isaac knew which of the two water types would get to stay.[break][break]

Dratini wasn't a good first choice, but an unforgettable Pokemon to bond with for those strong and noble enough to handle one. Maybe not a good #1 or #2, but how about a good #30? Sheesh, when did Isaac get so many Pokemon? "I should really look into it, huh?" Isaac asked. "Honestly, they're a Pokemon I never even expected to see up close, let alone train. Guess I'm making some big strides as a trainer after all."[break][break]

It was funny. In a lot of ways, Isaac still felt like a washout and a runaway. It was hard to even process how much further he'd come in the last 4 months than he had in the last 4 years. Clearly, necessity was the mother of gains.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
[/quote]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,128 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 1:01:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"She means a lot to me," Josh added as Resheph climbed a little more. He meant it too. There was only one legendary partner he would ever give up Resheph for, and that was Raikou. And even then, it would be a very hard decision. "Resheph...was a Game Corner Pokémon," he said after a long pause. "I played a lot of poker and a lot of Voltorb Flip to win her. I'm sure the house robbed me blind. I'm sure you've heard all kinds of horror stories about the Pokémon that come..." He stopped right there. He did not want to sour the moment he was about to take Isaac--and himself--on. This was going to be a real treat. With no aircraft around for miles, this was the perfect opportunity.

"If you really want to know, we can talk about it when we're back on the ground," Josh abruptly changed the subject. "For now, though, if you've had your fun, can you toss me the reins back? There's one thing I've always dreamed to try." If Isaac obliged, and thought about what Josh was saying, he had a good idea what was about to transpire. It was also a lot more relaxing to hold the reins rather than Isaac's waist. He did one more quick loop to make sure there were no trainers or aircraft in the skies. They were wide open - not a soul in sight. Today, the skies were theirs and theirs alone.

"That one thing I've dreamed to try...is something I've never had the chance to do before. And that's to see what Resheph's Extreme Speed looks like from her perspective." Resheph let out an excited cry; her Extreme Speed was so fast that Josh had been scared to try riding her while using it...until now. "If I truly want to ride on Raikou, he's going to be even faster than this. I need to prepare as much as I can. And I want to give you the chance to back out." A confident nod was the only response he got. "Alright." He left out a deep sigh before lazily looping the dragon-type back eastward. "Resheph...use your EXTREME SPEED!!" Josh cried.

The orbs on the Dragonair's neck and tail glowed a royal purple, dragon energy seeping out of them to form a wind shield of sorts and raise her aerodynamic efficiency. The energy enveloped the riders as well. Once it surrounded herself and both trainers, she lowered her head, her body shaking from building up dragon energy from her tail. With a powerful whipping motion, the sound of roaring wind boomed from her tail. Josh lurched back hard from the sudden and powerful acceleration. It was almost like riding the force of an explosion as his mount exhibited the requested Extreme Speed--by far the fastest rush any Pokémon had to offer. Such few Pokémon could master the Sacred Arte, and Resheph was one of them.

Dragon energy trailed behind her as Hoenn's plains zoomed by, making her look like a low-flying purple comet from anyone who could see her from the ground. It was hard to get a scale of just how fast Resheph was going, but Josh would not be surprised if she could overtake jet airplanes in her current state. He didn't even try to speak to Isaac; with as little ear protection as he had on, it probably sounded like he was on the inside of a tornado. With the surreal speed the Dragonair was flying at, the reins themselves felt stiff; he had to pull with quite a lot of strength just to make shallow turns. Even the turns he was making felt like he could get ripped out of the saddle at any moment if he didn't stay focused. He wanted to let out the biggest scream of his life, and not one that was of pure bliss. This kind of speed was scaring even him.

{WC: 662}
{PC: 10}
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 4:48:33 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"If it gets a good Pokemon out of a bad situation, it's good in my books," Isaac said. And that was really all Isaac had to say on the matter. As a Rocket, he'd exercised his "authority" to liberate Pokemon from bad situations and bring them along with him. Such was where his Dhelmise came from, most notably. To go from rusted and neglected to a rare color variant and loyal, inventive fighter was a testament to the dedication he put forward.[break][break]

Those wwre the last thoughts Isaac had before the world became a blur.[break][break]

Isaac could barely see. Anything beyond the Dragonair's back turned into a smear of motion and color. Mountains, oceans, grasslands, deserts, forests, cities, they all swirled together into an indistinguishable, purple tinted mass. The colors changed so rapidly that they almost seemed to be flashing in Isaac's brain. The only sound that could be heard was pure, unadulterated speed. The Dragonair's vocalizations, the rush of the wind, and even Isaac's own thoughts were muffled by comparison.[break][break]

It was equal parts awesome and terrible to experience, let alone behold. Isaac's heart pounded into his chest like a drum. His goggles practically buried themselves into his face. His legs grew numb from how tightly he held onto Resheph, and his arms grew just as numb from how tightly he held onto Knuckles. In some ways, it was the third or fourth most terrifying experience of his life. In other ways, it was unparalleled excitement.[break][break]

The concentrated mix of emotions brewing in Josh and Isaac did not go unnoticed by Knuckles. Her own excitement began to ebb as theirs pushed their way into her brainspace. She started to squirm in Isaac's arms, trying to get away from the sensations before they became too strong. He didn't even seem to feel it; after all, the wind was already hitting him full force. So she squirmed faster, and pawed harder, and barked with more desperation. And those only got stronger and stronger and stronger still, until finally she pushed her way clean out of Isaac's grip.[break][break]

The world seemed to stop for half of a second. And then trainer and Pokemon alike started to plummet.[break][break]

Isaac reached out to Knuckles, calling towards the panicking Riolu in a voice overpowered by the wind. He tried to move towards her, but it was futile. Unlike what the movies said, you couldn't just swim through the air. Finally, he reached for Knuckles' Pokeball, aiming the return button towards her to at least try and recall her. Unfortunately, she shied away at just the wrong moment, avoiding re-capture entirely.[break][break]

Before Isaac could try again, momentum began to carry the two apart.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]

[/quote]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,128 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 14:22:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Resheph's Extreme Speed was perhaps the fastest burst any Pokémon, barring a Legendary, had to offer. For a mere human, the kind of speed the Dragonair was achieving was numbing, even with the dragon energy she was using to partially shield the two. And yet...this would be a mere stepping stone if he wanted to sit astride the Pokémon his childhood self had dreamed of. If he truly wanted to live that dream, this would be something he would need to practice regularly, pushing his physical prowess to and even beyond his current limits.

It was not until the Dragonair's Extreme Speed wore off that Josh noticed Isaac was no longer between himself and his Dragonair. He immediately looked downward and saw his friend and Knuckles in free fall. With the reins not feeling so stiff due to the speed burst being gone, they were easy to manipulate. He had Resheph perform a sharp U-turn, adjusting her angle for Isaac's trajectory before shouting, "Resheph, use your EXTRE--"

Your courage is admirable, but you sorely lack the foresight to use it.

He stopped the command just in time. Josh's instinct was to push Resheph to her absolute limit to recover Isaac as quickly as possible. "No, Resheph! Extreme Speed will be too fast! Just dive after them, but don't use anything yet! Keep your Agility ready, but don't use it until my command!" What the Raikou of his dreams was trying to teach him is that while good instincts were important, the electric Beast could not recognize anyone who acted on instincts alone. Sometimes, instincts were deceiving.

Not to say there wasn't a high speed chase involved; Josh released all pressure on the reins and even pushed forward on his mount's body, Resheph responding by entering a steep dive beyond anything conceivably needed for a race. The two quickly caught up to Isaac, Josh releasing his tension on the Dragonair when he was beneath his falling friend. With mere hundreds of feet to spare, he pulled up sharply in an effort to catch Isaac and hoped his timing was correct...!

{WC: 352}
{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 2:28:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]For the third time today, Isaac was exposed to a new level of speed. First came Agility. Then came Extremespeed. Now came a little thing called terminal velocity.[break][break]

Once more, the world around Isaac blended into a blur of color and motion. However, this time it wasn't a promising horizon, past which anything was possible. Instead it was like a funnel, swirling around Isaac as he tumbled down, down, down, faster, faster, faster. He couldn't bring himself to scream. He knew if he did, he'd never even hear it. His body was no longer under his own control. Every twist, every rotation, every spin was all at the whims of wind and gravity. If he tried to struggle against them, all he'd accomplish was setting himself further adrift.[break][break]

The only thing he could bring himself to focus on was a steadily shrinking blue spot. Knuckles. To say she counted on Isaac wouldn't be accurate. Boarding the Dragonair was her idea. Taking the reins, going faster and faster, was also her idea. And panicking was her idea, a fatal mistake for both. But she was young. She was hurt. She was terrified. And now she was in danger. And he'd failed to protect her from it all.[break][break]

Luckily, Isaac wasn't alone. Resheph's long body was almost like a slide as she sailed up to catch Isaac. The impact knocked the wind out of his sails, true, but it was better to land with slack and friction on his side than go splat on the cold, merciless ground. Slowly, his graceless tumble down her coils turned into a more controlled halt, Isaac finally coming to a rest clinging to Resheph's tail for dear life. "Holy fuck I'm alive," Isaac half muttered, his small voice swallowed up entirely by the speeds Resheph had been hurtling at.[break][break]

And she wasn't the only one. Knuckles, too, was still tumbling out of the sky. By now, their opposing momentums meant Knuckles was far away from Josh. Would he be able to accelerate in time? Or was this as hopeless as it looked? "Hurry . . . still time . . . should've saved her instead . . ." Isaac wheezed as he tried to climb up Resheph's coils, air knocked out of his body and survivor's guilt festering in his stomach.[break][break]

But Resheph wasn't the only Pokemon here, now was she?[break][break]

The good thing about flying in circles was that your journey ended where it began. And that meant Vivi and Ivan were right there to witness the falls in progress. Ivan took off like a lightning bolt, Vivi's Copycat barely able to match pace with his Quick Attack. With each new move, they strained themselves a little most, ran a little faster, fought a little harder. After all, their paces could be the difference between life and death.[break][break]

What could they even do if they got there, though? Ringo was too small. Sunny couldn't keep pace. And if they jumped to try to catch Knuckles, they literally only had a half second's difference between victory and disaster. The pressure was mounting hard, and even the cool, collected Ivan was sweating bullets. How was Vivi, the warmhearted, optimistic baby of the bunch, even supposed to cope? Her pace wavered. Her ears drooped. Her tail dragged behind her. This was going to be a mess, and it'd all be her fault.[break][break]

Yet Ivan charged forward undaunted, barking encouragement and spurring Vivi to keep going forward. If he believed in her, what choice did she have but to believe in herself, too? She didn't know how she was going to do it, but she knew she was going to save Knuckles. She just had to dig deep inside of herself and do the impossible.[break][break]

White energy enveloped Vivi's body as she ran. The sun's warm rays beat down on her, fueling her to run faster and fight harder than ever before. Her mind expanded. The impossible was now the possible, and all she had to do was will it so. She cast the light away with a swipe of her rapidly thinning tails, her cute and fluffy form now slender and regal. Even with her eyes closed, she managed to follow Knuckles' trajectory perfectly as she raised her head high to the sky.[break][break]

And then her eyes snapped open, their red glow matching the glow of her brand new head gem.[break][break]

Knuckles felt a presence surrounding her. Her fall started to slow. Her strain stain started to ease. The world around her started to come back into focus. The first thing she saw- no, felt, was a powerful surge of determination. As she squinted down at the source, she saw the newly-evolved Vivi. A Pokemon whose exuberance and companionship she had been spurning all day had now evolved, entirely through camaraderie and sheer will, just to save her life. Such was her will that even Ivan had gotten in on the act, his own Copycat allowing him to replicate Vivi's Psychic to the best of her ability.[break][break]

Knuckles couldn't even bring herself to turn away. She simply stared, eyes wide and heart stirring, as the two Eeveelutions slowly, gently brought her back down to earth.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,128 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 3:25:55 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh felt Resheph make a quick adjustment when Isaac impacted her, and that was the only cue he needed to know his calculations were correct. His newly-honed FORESIGHT had saved the day--and Isaac's life. Once the momentum from Resheph's climb had worn off, Josh guided the Dragonair to the ground they had initially take off from, in a lazy spiral that made sure his hyperventilating friend would be safe. As they slowed down, Josh started to hear just how heavy Isaac's breathing was.

Once they had reached ground level in a peaceful descent Josh never could have imagined after the sense-melting speeds Resheph had exposed them both to, he slid off Resheph and found himself sitting on the grass near the remainder of Isaac's Pokémon, including the newly-evolved Vivi. His legs were way too jelly to do anything but buckle after pressure was applied to them.

Once the two had caught their breath, Josh asked Isaac, "Now you know why I recommended a Dratini to you so much as an experienced trainer?" He was still a bit dizzy from Resheph's reckless charge, but it was worth every bit of the adrenaline rush in the moment. "Did you have fun?" he sheepishly asked. Resheph let out a proud coo despite being tired; the exertion to maintain Extreme Speed for its full duration was a testament to how difficulty it was to get into the exclusive club of Pokémon that could learn it. If Josh's knowledge was correct, the number of evolutionary lines that could learn the move could be counted on one hand.

"This has been a very humbling experience," Josh continued as his voice turned much more solemn. "And it means I am a long way from being ready for Raikou. As fast as we flew up there on Resheph's back...Raikou has to be faster yet. And by a long shot, too. She was pushing me to and beyond my limits. Imagine what we just did...but even faster. And on land, not in the air. I can't even fathom...just how?" He continued to ramble on, lost in thought at how close to the human limit his career took him. Did he truly have the riding skills? The quick decision making? And most importantly, the physical fortitude needed to withstand a gallop so rapid it propelled the electric tiger at speeds more easily represented by a Mach number than traditional units? "I'm still not giving up. My dream is being able to sit on that thundercloud and let him run. But it's so...daunting to even think about."

{WC: 432}
{PC: 12}

ooc: Requesting an EEVEE for thread rewards!
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 16:54:43 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Fear, guilt, and shame gnawed on Isaac throughout the descent. At the high speeds they were traveling at, he had no idea what was even going on down below. Then as the ground approached and Resheph began to slow, the world came back into focus. It wasn't a grisly scene that Isaac was treated to, but instead a freshly-evolved Vivi guiding Knuckles down fo safety.[break][break]

His legs felt like pudding, but that didn't stop Isaac from hopping off of Resheph to half stumble, half flop his way over to the wayward Pokemon. "I'm so glad you're alright," Isaac wheezed. "You had me scared to death, damnit."[break][break]

Ivan was quick to excitedly yip and bark towards his trainer, eagerly filling in the details of Vivi's plan. Isaac couldn't ubderstand a word of it, but one last copied Psychic was enough to help him get the hint. This time it was Vivi's turn to act cool and collected, basking in her fellow Eeveelution's praise and shooting him a coy grin.[break][break]

Knuckles was still clearly shaken. In fact, if anything, the concern in Isaac's tone left her recoiling away for a second. Realizing how he might've sounded, he let any edge in his words drop. "Hey. No. You're okay here," he said, voice soft, quiet, and gentle. "Nobody's mad at you. Only gravity. And I promise, nobody is ever, ever going to let you get hurt over a little mistake. Okay?"[break][break]

Knuckles nodded once, eyes wide. And then she let herself flop against Isaac, who promptly flopped over from his own exhaustion. "Up until the part where I could've died? It was a blast," Isaac joked. "But next time, yeah, I am totally thinking twice before being that much of a speed demon."[break][break]

It seemed this was casting a little bit of perspective on Josh's goals, too. This level of speed was surprising, even intimidating, to him. And there were levels beyond that, ones where you didn't have the benefit of freeform aerial movement. It was a sobering idea. But it wasn't enough to make Josh turn his back on the dream. "Seems like to me, the best thing you could do is practice," Isaac figured. "You know what you want to get to, and what you're currently able to do, right? That means you've got your start point, your end point, and plenty of time to take that part i nthe middle at your own pace. Then when the time comes, you'll know you're as ready as you'll ever be."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]

(Requesting Dratini for thread rewards!)
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,029 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Youngblood (M)
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 0:35:57 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: