part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 6:26:47 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

DAY 8 // WHEN PETALS FALL

HE’S A DAY AWAY FROM DISCHARGE. he can feel it in his bones. whatever damage team rocket may have done—it wasn’t enough.

to do anything short of kill him is to give fernando a chance to come back. he’s suffered worse and with hoenn’s current trend, he’ll suffer even worse in the future. regardless, he will continue on. it’s the only thing he knows how to do.

but appearances do not always reflect true intent. for how well he can walk and move, fernando remain in paper mache bondage. casts force his bones to mend while restricting his movement into linear, archaic arcs.

he’s reviewing the reports left him from a tablet when the sound of someone intrudes on his doorway.

it’s the person he least expected.

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 7:18:13 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
Her footsteps were soft and unintrusive as Elisabeth carried a lush bouquet to the windowsill, her attention singularly focused on the task at hand. "I won't be long," the florist murmured, lowering the vase so that it was afforded the best view of sunlight.

The peculiar stalks of crimson-and-white flowers had a proud bearing, their petals resembling draconic jaws snapped open wide.

"They're snapdragons," Elisabeth said suddenly, as if answering an unspoken question. "You said you don't recognize most flowers, so I thought you might want to know."

She'd managed to avoid looking at him, but the longer Elisabeth did so, the stranger doing so would seem. So her emerald gaze resolved to turn to his, viewing him fully.

Seeing perhaps for the first time.

The sheer amount of bandages and casts seemed excessive when compared to the reports she'd read at the Rocket Headquarters. She frowned slightly. Had their reporting been an understatement? Or had his state somehow worsened between then and now?

A hand lost itself in a ringlet of her golden hair, before she added, "They're from Silph Co. I think they got my number from your Palentine's Day orders."

The florist placed the card from the bouquet on his tablet, its contents unopened. She'd been discreet enough not to pry.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
[newclass=".elisafont b"]color: #7bb661;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 21:03:02 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

“AH,” is his observation in regards to her flowers. they’re nice, he supposes—the gesture in general—but make up the least of his concerns.

that would do it,” is the way he shrugs off the well intentions of his company. for them to go above and beyond expectations is an expectation in on itself. however, it proves more prying than he’d like.

some matters are best left private.

having to face her here, damaged beyond repair, keeps him facing away. all to hide the piece of him that remains missing. an empty void itching to be filled with malice and vindication.

he drags his words since his feet cannot.

i appreciate you coming out all this way, miss fiorelli.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 22:30:04 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
Did he appreciate her presence here, Elisabeth wondered? She'd not let his voice slither into her room at night for some time now.

Without intending to, the florist had already begun silently pruning him out from her life, like some invasive weed that had taken root in her garden without her realizing it.

Long, long before the dawning of the Darkest Day.

"...It was the least I could do," Elisabeth managed at last, wringing her hands.

When he shied away from her, obscuring the damaged half of his face from view, the gesture spoke of all the things neither could voice in the discomfort of silence.

The way in which he had been violently captured and beaten in the hands of Rocket, an organization where she had been promoted for her own cruelty.

How Tapu Fini had been forcibly ripped from him, throwing him back to the realm of mortals.

What he had done to , and the price he now paid for it, here, in this hospital room.

The enormity of what Elisabeth knew threatened to suffocate her.

Not having to meet his gaze allowed hers to slide downwards, finding the tablet in his hands once more as a focal point. "You're keeping busy, I see," she said, stating the obvious.

If it was only the flowers, she could leave him here.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 0:27:39 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

“YOU DIDN’T HAVE—”

fernando bites back his words before he can commit. there’s no need for humility. to disparage her efforts and dismiss them takes away from the satisfactory she receives as the giver.

so he accepts it. fully and whole.

i’m grateful nonetheless.

her observation puts attention on his tablet. highlights the outlet he uses to avoid interacting with others. disrespectful considering the time and travel they take out of their day, all on his behalf.

he sets it on his lap, covering some of it with his covers. still, he averts her gaze, sparing her from his disfigurement.

ah, yes. team rocket’s super weapon is keeping everyone on their toes these days.” a wry smile creaks past frustration and impatience. “it seems to have fled hoenn by now though.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 1:32:37 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
Something in his choice of words made the corner of her mouth curl upwards, amused despite herself, before her lips pressed back into a thin line. Somehow it always came back to gratitude, with him.

A Gracidea's pink petals came to mind for but a moment, before the memory the hibiscus evoked was abruptly swept aside.

"I don't know if I've done much to be grateful for. Selecting the flowers was not a difficult thing."

Although that wasn't what Fernando meant, was it?

He meant that she was still here. In this room. Talking to him.

She'd not expected him to remove his distractions to focus on her; she'd not expected him, really, to talk to her much at all.

"I'm glad you appreciate them, though."

It was concerning, how quickly Elisabeth fell into the deceptive lull of his conversation. As if the monstrous things she knew were about another person entirely.

Only when the mention of Rocket left his lips did the reminder of the precariousness of her predicament -- and her true purpose in remaining here -- return to being first of mind.

"Super weapon?" Elisabeth echoed, turning to him with a faint furrow in her brow. Confusion prickled at the back of her mind, until she finally unspooled his meaning: Necrozma.

That was one interpretation of events, she supposed.

"Mm. Some of us on our toes more than others, it would seem." There was some pity in the words, subtle but present. And entirely without pretense. "Flowers of grief and mourning have been in great demand."

Though she had no reason to admit to it, Elisabeth had been there in Sootopolis that day, too.

She'd witnessed the carnage firsthand.

The blonde turned her attention to the flowers by the window, their petals dappled with spots of sunlight. "It's a pity that the trouble with the meteor won't simply fly away with it."

A pause.

"That responsibility must weigh on you."

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 21:11:42 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

“MMM.”

a firm line of thinking crosses his mind. weighs heavily on him in the same manner she had described. but the toll it bears is light work compared to the load of a broken body.

that would be too easy,” is his take on the meteor business. what is hoenn without its peril?

it’s expected at this point.” he lays against his pillow, sinking into his resignation. “the only part that hurts is to watch the people you protect believe these lies, fall for the very people that look to do them harm, and be powerless as sootopolis repeats itself.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 22:21:47 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
"Must everything be a challenge to be worthwhile, Mr. Silph?" Elisabeth asked, the question both light and rhetorical.

Although she'd offered much the same answer to not long ago, in some ways: that life without conflict, in her eyes, was tedious and dull. She hadn't joined Rocket because she longed for a quiet, safe existence.

Part of her wanted to know danger, in more ways than one.

It explained why she was standing in the Pyroar's den now, didn't it?

When the councilman sank back into the confines of his hospital bed, Elisabeth listened in silence as his voice darkened with bitterness and resentment. Both emotions were to be expected given his ordeal.

She'd anticipated this anger, in him.

What she didn't expect was the way that emotion began to kindle in her, too: a quiet, indignant sputtering of flame that she tried to soundly repress.

The irony of the statement was breathtaking.

"Often, it isn't the lies themselves that are so damning." Her voice had taken on the slightest hardness, but it could be seen as a mirroring of his own; an approval, of sorts, conveyed in mimicry of his own shift in demeanor. "It is who speaks them, I think. And who we choose to trust."

Her emerald eyes focused on the man in front of her as she spoke.

One whose wrongdoings had been spelled out for her by in black and white.

"It is the rare individual who is immune to that deception. We tend to believe who we want to believe."

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 20:02:17 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

“PERHAPS,” is his half agreeance out of respect. but fernando does not believe in such a cop out. his eyes close and his next words wave with a slight pause in-between them.

we all have our biases but to let them steer us against history and practical truth is damning enough.

an exasperated sigh escapes.

the slaughter of slateport, the sabotage in littleroot, now this in sootopolis. how many more times will it take?

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 21:24:46 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
Was he blind to his own biases? Or simply that confident in his ability to look past them?

History had been written by the League; their own missteps had been glossed over, and Rocket's written in permanent ink. His own misconception of what happened in Sootopolis was enough example of that.

Although Fernando's inflexibility confirmed several things for her. Primarily the knowledge that, had he known her for what she was, he'd drive her like a Spinarak beneath his heel without a second thought.

Being in your enemy's bed was no guarantee of safety. If anything, the opposite was often true, in her experience. He'd seen himself the scars that had first taught her that lesson.

Given the eye that had been stolen from , it seemed that was a lesson he'd learned the hard way, too.

For a moment, Elisabeth allowed a single calming breath to flow through her, inhaling and exhaling as the tension she'd carried into the room relaxed. Step lightly.

"The horror of your own experiences must only compound that frustration further," she said, rather than contradict him. "Although I can't see you resigning for it, as some of your predecessors have."

It was the closest to sincere reassurance she could offer Fernando. She'd avoided acknowledging that Phanpy in the room, so to speak, until this moment: trite 'there-there's were not her forte. Whatever mixed feelings she harbored now about the man in front of her, his willpower was something she could admire and speak to.

Besides, Elisabeth wasn't here to argue with him. She knew what dark colour she played on her own chessboard, and there was no arguing with him regarding the fact that his pieces, in his mind, were blindingly and immaculately white.

As always, she played this mutual game of theirs at the disadvantage.

She always had more to lose, but had played along anyway.

"Do you ever regret it?" Elisabeth asked instead. It was a question she felt she knew the answer to, already, but had to ask anyway. "The actions that led you here, to this room."

Coming to Hoenn. Running Silph Co. Becoming a councilman.

Whatever crimes that he had committed under the thin veneer of justice.

"Is there a safer life you think you'd rather have lived?"

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 22:12:36 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

“NOT WITHOUT A SUITABLE REPLACEMENT,” is as dutiful a reply as ever. what he doesn’t mention is that there is no replacement for fernando silph. while many will match him in one field or aspect, none have the all-roundedness that hoenn needs. while has a unfair advantage of peak insomnia, fernando comes close. he pushes as far as humanly possible.

it weighs in the baggage of broad shoulders and red eyes.

regret means you did not make the best possible choice in the moment, regardless of the results.

eyes circle on the asbestos patterns above. they get lost in the endless shapes so abstract it requires imagination to put them together.

i try to avoid it, so no, i don’t regret it.

her question is two-fold and he answers the second part, even if it’s a conjunction.

a long time ago, a friend of mine asked me why i didn’t leave this all behind. i could be in unova right now, living a comfy life without ever having to lift a finger. back then, i wagered that the time i’d enjoy myself would be cut short as what happened in kanto spilled into hoenn, and from hoenn into the rest of the world.

now look at galar.

i was right but i never expected to this extent. back then, i thought if i fixed it now, i would live longer than i would’ve if i just let someone else handle it.

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 22:35:40 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
She believed , in this moment.

For all her deep-seated loyalties, for all her own cunning and cynicism, Elisabeth had not come here as a Rocket admin. She'd told she would handle it, but the nature of her problem had not been discussed, precisely.

"I don't think Unova would suit you, no."

It was an objective fact that she was a powerful member of a crime syndicate, standing alone in a room with a vulnerable enemy of her organization. If she were or , they'd have made use of this time very differently.

Instead, Elisabeth let her gaze follow his skyward, both looking past the ceiling at something else entirely.

"I envy that, I think. Living life with few regrets. I wonder if it's as freeing as it sounds."

A hand slid into the satchel that hung low about her waist, one that had been searched thoroughly before she'd been granted entrance into this high-profile location. Elisabeth had no Pokémon with her, because she had not been cleared on the list to speak with Councilman Silph; their relationship to one another had always been discreet and undefined, thieving one another's time through late night phone calls and chance meetings.

Her profession, and that alone, had granted her entry. So in that vein, Elisabeth had come here as nothing more than the florist that he sometimes escaped to, the same way that she'd escaped to him in the late hours of night.

The way she privately missed escaping to him, still.

"The responsibility of overseeing Hoenn is a great one. Particularly in times of unrest, like now."

At last her fingers pulled forth their desired object, its sleek surface glinting in what remaining sunlight spilled through the nearby window.

"We promised one another a long time ago to make the best use of one another's time."

With that, a familiar little black card was quietly slipped onto his bedside table, its golden letters glittering up at him.

"It seems wise to relinquish what little time I've taken from you, so that you can focus on other matters."

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 18:46:49 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

“IT HELPS TO KEEP BUSY,” he adds on. “time to ponder about what-ifs and what could have beens—it’s always onto the next thing for me.

he thinks them to be just conversing about the state of things. not unlike the countless nights where all he could focus on was her voice. the turmoil within, the photosynthesis of an allegiance to the very people who did this, goes undetected. like all great flowers, he only smell what his nose can perceive.

when she returns his card, the symbolic gesture strikes a chord. it rivets with a sound so harsh, fernando cannot hear her explanation. all he sees between moving lips is the excuse he knows that lies behind pretty words and a lack of responsibility.

it’s okay to be afraid, fiorelli.

he has no doubt that his current state certainly plays a part. to see someone you’ve entangled with reduced to such a state. it’s foreboding. on that ground, he sympathizes.

i won’t take it personally.

she can tell his eyelids, which serve no purpose, close by the movement underneath his wraps. he covers it with the cast of his arm, hiding the disgrace and shame from her point of view.

the disfigurement is quite unsightly, isn’t it?

close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,385 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 20:44:47 GMT
[attr=class,elisafont]
[googlefont=Meddon]
Tromperie
[break][break]
[break]
Afraid.

The damning accuracy of his accusation rendered Elisabeth silent for a moment.

This had been a tactical retreat, one designed based on what she'd privately observed of him: his relentless dedication to the region, his emphasis on duty and service, and the unspoken fact that she was by far one of the more insigificant ways he spent his own time.

Somehow, she'd forgotten that he'd observed her, too. That for all of herself that she had withheld from him, he knew private truths of her, whether or not he'd ever voiced them.

Hadn't he been the first of them to instigate whatever this was between them?

Hadn't she only ever been brave enough to reach out to him from far away, through the safety of distance?

Hadn't he always been the one to visit her, never receiving a visit in return until this very moment?

And even now, wasn't she consumed with fear that he would have done to her what he had done to ?

Her gaze lowered to the wedding band on her left hand, fingers winding absently around the golden thorns of the poisoner's ring. They retracted ever so subtly, awaiting enough pressure for the venomous spikes beneath the metallic rosette's petals to flower, but never receiving it.

Some said that poison was the coward's weapon, and it was the one Elisabeth had made her signature trademark. Fitting, she supposed.

"...Not all of us have things that make us brave," Elisabeth said finally, exhaling. She'd envied that part of him in the Petalburg Woods, too: his willingness to throw aside his own weakness in the face of whatever obstacles came, accepting the perils of adversity rather than running to the safety of the shadows.

To some degree, was facing her in that way, now. Giving her a kind exit, one that she could and should take swiftly and gratefully, before she said something she regretted. There was a sort of nobility to the gesture, in a way.

She'd accepted his first defamation of her character, resigning herself to its uncomfortable truth.

His second implication, however, struck like a well-placed arrow for all its unexpected cruelty.

"Is that what I seem like to you?" Elisabeth asked without thinking, turning her attention to him before she could regain her composure. Her voice came out wounded, stung; her fingers tightened their grip around her ring, threatening to reveal poisonous intention.

Whatever their carefully curated masks of politeness and vanity had been, they'd both shed them in the night. In the darkness, neither had asked for the story that each other's body had shared, unspoken.

Her hands had known the jagged scar that bisected his body in two, and countless other scars besides, as his had known the warped flesh of her thigh, whispering of other hands that had held her to flames.

Perhaps some part of him had wanted to hurt her, in this moment, the way that she'd hurt him.

"Am I a woman who avoids unsightliness and disfigurement, Fernando?"

The raw pain in her answer revealed he had succeeded.

[break]
[break]
[break]
Social ✿ Outfit
[break]
[break]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,740 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
OBLIQUITY
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 21:18:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

OBLIQUITY

HER PAIN IS SURPRISING. he hadn’t imagine it to feel so visceral considering the ante she mounted onto his tableside.

his field of vision is almost halved now. the gold trimmings prove distracting as they glare with the sun’s refraction. makes it difficult to read her for who she is.

do you want me to be honest?