5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
The Hero of Johto [S][C/Alexei]
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 4:59:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After his conversations with and , the sheer weight of the goal he had set started to bear down on him. As he left the Beautifly and Dustox, full from another delicious Unovan meal, he recalled the words of Gym Leader :

“If I hadn’t taken the path of being a Gym Leader, I’d have been a lorekeeper instead. hilariously, though, all the stories of legendary Pokémon I’m aware of is from Unova, because I’m from there. And then some bits and pieces from Kalos and here, but that’s about it. To hear a Johtonian tale… I’d want to sit down and pick your head further.”

Today was that day, and the Leader was expecting him this early afternoon. While he normally wouldn't enter a formal League facility such as a Pokémon Gym in a costume, particularly a costume as...extra...as his, he felt it appropriate, given the subject matter the two would be discussing. Knowing the Leader was expecting him, Josh made his way to the ground level of the aviary, not too far from where he had been given the Skyrider Badge during his last visit to the Gym. Of course, he would have to go through Ethan, the Leader's receptionist, first.

He checked in with the young man, dressed in a yellow mantle, beneath it a vest covered with a thin sheet of yellow-colored metal to give the illusion of it being a breastplate. He carried a full shortsword-length, lightning bolt-shaped plastic sword whose blade glowed yellow. He was astride his Manectric, who was wearing a saddle in the likeness of Raikou's thundercloud. Saber wore a spark-shaped, blue tail dongle in the likeness of Raikou's tail, a mask in the likeness of Raikou's face, including the blue muzzle and foot-long fangs, and even black, bolt-shaped stripes painted across his legs and back. If it weren't for his blue fur, the electric-type really would have looked like the Johto Beast Josh was seeking.

When Josh sighted Alex on the Aviary's ground level, he unsheathed the plastic sword and pointed it straight ahead with his right hand, his left hand on the reins to guide the Manectric in a line toward the Fortree Leader's general direction, though obviously wide enough for him to knew he wasn't getting rammed and trampled for real. "Alright, Raikou! Charge!" Sparks flying from his Manectric's paws, the Gym Leader masquerading as the Hero of Johto charged aboard the "legendary".

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Crash         Boltund        Good
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Blitz         Luxray         Good
Raiden        Zebstrika      Good
Bladestorm    Skarmory       Good

{WC: 344}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2022 14:43:15 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

This time, he’d made sure to bring out that rather battered journal he usually kept hidden in the back of his closet—if only because today he was going to add onto this. It currently resided in one of the pockets of his jacket, along with some extra scraps of paper and a pen.

Thanks to some friends of his, he had some entries on Kalosian tales—mostly those concerning life and death. And then right here, where he’d been living the last eleven years, there were so many tales about the so-called ‘Weather Trio’, he just had to take note of all of them.

(And then there were a few about a certain wish-granter, but well, those were just scraps. He’d love to expand on those scraps, though.)

While he was feeding some of the other avians with a mix of nuts and birdseed, he thought he heard—

“What the hell—” he said to himself as he turned around and saw—

His eyes then widened like Sawsbuck caught in headlights at the charging form headed right his way.

What in the ever loving—?!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 23, 2022 5:50:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Apparently Josh's charge scared the Fortree Leader even though he was clearly going wide. He reined Saber even wider of the Birdfather, killing most of the Electric-type's speed with a sharp, sliding U-turn and skidding to a stop on the opposite side of the charge. "Tremble, fiend," Josh said in a booming voice, baring the plastic blade at an imaginary foe, "for you are in the presence of Josh, the Committed!" He gave the Manectric a gentle pat as the "legendary" turned to face Alex. "Isn't that right...Raikou?" The blue fur and Manectric-sounding cry were the two big giveaways that this was an elaborate costume and not the real thing.

After a few seconds, he sheathed the sword and cut the charade. "How you doing? It's that time of year, you know?" It may have been a bit, but Josh was certain his colleague would remember some of the last words that were spoken before the two left the Aviary to check on Bladestorm that fateful, stormy late afternoon.

“If I hadn’t taken the path of being a Gym Leader, I’d have been a lorekeeper instead. hilariously, though, all the stories of legendary Pokémon I’m aware of is from Unova, because I’m from there. And then some bits and pieces from Kalos and here, but that’s about it. To hear a Johtonian tale… I’d want to sit down and pick your head further.”

"And that's what I'm here to do. I have heard many tales of the Sacred Beasts of Johto. The fastest Pokémon on land. When I told you I wanted to pursue Raikou, you didn't think I hadn't done my homework on him, did you?" Of course, his knowledge of the Beast was very limited. He hoped to fix that throughout his travels of Hoenn, and live his dream of fighting alongside the fastest Pokémon on land to do his part in securing Hoenn's new, peaceful future. "First, two tales that relate to them: the tale of the Two Towers of Ecruteak, and the tale of the Hero of Johto."

{WC: 352}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 8:36:38 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He was just about ready to make a run for it when the ‘Raikou’ came to a careening stop—and that was… whoa. That was one really sharp-looking blade!

Thankfully, though, it was only Josh and his Manectric. With an elaborate-looking saddle, to boot.

“Oh shit, don’t remind me, I… I’m not exactly a fan of this month…” he admitted with an embarrassed chuckle. “October is always… bad times for me, if you must know.”

As to why? Well, get to know him more and find out!

Anyway…

“Ah, yeah… let’s head over to my place. Not too far from out here,” he continued as he pointed in the direction of the flat where—well, he would see just how many Wooloo the other Gym Leader owned…

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 8:47:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh wasn't quite sure why the month of October was a problem; sure there was Halloween décor everywhere, you would see more people in costumes, just like the Mauville Leader was now, and there was a marked increase in Ghost-type Pokémon gathering where they normally didn't...but he wouldn't press the Birdfather about it. They had business to get to.

"Oh, is that in the distance?" Josh said, squinting and pointing. If Alex were to confirm, Josh would grin and slam his visor down, starting the charade up again. "See if you catch us there!" Of course, Alex would probably beat him there, given most of his Pokémon were birds. They didn't have to worry nearly as much about friction. Josh's Pokémon, as a Gym Leader with a Gym focused on racing, were still quite fast and could at least give the birds a run for their money.

"Straight ahead, Raikou! Let's go!" Sparks flew from the Manectric's paws as his explosive speed got the two moving forward rather quickly. "Faster, Raikou! Faster!" He was really into it, almost like a child who was naive enough to think he really was atop the electric Legendary. To emulate the Beast's speed as much as possible, Saber broke into a QUICK ATTACK chain, but even that didn't truly match his idol's sustained speed. The only one of his Pokémon that could do that was his Arcanine, Braver. And the last time he tried riding in Extreme Speed, it made him sick.

{WC: 253}
{PC: 3}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 8:56:35 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He would only smile this mysterious smile on his features before letting the other ride on ahead—for he had a plan.

And it involved exactly one particular avian of his. He cackled as his Xatu, Set, warped into existence at his side.

“You know where to take me,” he remarked as he placed one hand on the avian’s body, who then proceeded to Teleport them right at the entrance of his flat.

(Yeah he was going to cheat, if but for a little bit.)

Of course, with the Xatu knowing his way around the Sanctuary practically blindfolded, it was easy for him to pop into existence close to where the landing pad was located and walked right to his front door, followed by the Xatu whose stare, until now, still gave him the heebie jeebies from time to time.

“You were fast. But not fast enough! he cackled as the Xatu then nodded at the two humans, before taking off.

Hilariously, there were two Braviary perched on the roof of his flat—Kyouya the recognizable one, who leered at the other human and squawked. Well, it wasn’t the dumbass at least…

“Come on in,” he continued as he opened the door and let the other step in first.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 9:05:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was at first surprised to see Alex arrive at his humble abode first...then the Xatu next to him explained everything. "Well, that's one way to be faster than the fastest land Pokémon in the world!" the Leader chuckled, Saber letting out a series of barks that could only be interpreted as the Manectric equivalent of laughter. Josh waved to Kyouya as he dismounted. He would have withdrawn the Raikou-dressed Manectric, but it was on theme with their topic. Provided he would fit and Alex didn't object, he would leave "Raikou" out of his Poké Ball.

"Thanks again. Mind fetching me a bottle of water?" Josh asked as he found the rightmost seat on Alex's sofa. "If you want to hear about the Great One and her Sacred Beasts, we might be here for a while." These were two of his favorite stories to share. With Alex being a lorekeeper, they could well be here for hours going back and forth. Josh was smiling far more than normal.

{WC: 170}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 9:26:53 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“I was about to ask if you wanted water or something stronger, so that answers my question,” he cackled as he bustled off to the kitchen.

Thank the hell he already had the foresight to prepare some snacks ahead of time—because asides from being the only one who made the most use out of his kitchen, the fridge was… well… full of ice cream cartons and sandwich components.

(And instant ramen extra accoutrements but we don’t talk about that!)

In short order he’d returned with a glass as well as a pitcher of cold water.

“Make yourself comfortable and don’t mind the—” he trailed off before a loud baa-ing noise caught his attention.

“…don’t mind the Wooloo,” he added with another cackle.

A white Wooloo with a tiny little crown perched on his head approached, sniffing the air around the Manectric. Soon after this one was followed by a black-wooled ovine, who rolled his eyes at his… partner’s… idiocy.

“Sorry, Will’s just really curious,” he continued as he returned back to the living room area with two sandwiches on a platter, balanced on one arm and a bowl of chips in the other hand.

He then gave the two ovines this ‘be on your best behavior!’ look as he took his own seat in the middle of the sofa.

“So. Where do we start?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 9:47:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Thanks," Josh replied, pouring a glass of ice water and taking a big gulp of it, chewing on a small ice cube for good measure. The Wooloo cry caught him a bit off guard; he wasn't expecting Alex to have too many Pokémon that weren't birds. Saber started to nuzzle the Wooloo that was curiously observing him, though he would back off if either the static became too much or the Normal-type didn't like it.

"We'll start with the tale of the Two Towers. This is probably the most well-known Johtonian tale out there. Almost everyone there learns this tale in middle or high school. Here goes..." He let out a deep sign and closed his eyes to collect his thoughts and visualize the happenings.

"Centuries ago, Johto had two tall towers. One captured the rising sun, and one captured the setting sun. A legendary bird Pokémon roosted atop each. Then one day, lightning struck the west tower. The two Pokémon fled, and the lightning strike ravaged the western tower, sparking a fire that raged for three days. It was only put out by torrential rainfall. Once the storm had passed, one of the legendary bird Pokémon, the Great One, Ho-oh, descended upon the ruined tower, and breathed new life into three nameless Pokémon. The Great One gave them divine forms: the forms known as Suicune, Entei, and..." Josh paused, his eyes starting to bead up. "...Raikou." Another sigh. Was even talking about Raikou this hard? He had talked about Raikou in front of so many people before, in front of , even.

"After the Great One resurrected them, they fled the collapsed tower at...surreal speeds. You wouldn't believe me if I could even begin to describe just how fast they can run. Suicune by a hurricane-force tailwind, for one. Raikou, though...Raikou's speed is in a whole different league."

{WC: 316}
{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 10:46:35 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The white-wooled ovine bleated in the Manectric’s direction, the little crown jingling on its perch while the black-wooled counterpart could only roll his eyes.

Oy, William, always sussing out all the other Pokémon that came by for a visit.

What was it with him being overly curious, anyway?

Smokey, on the other hand, turned to watch what was going down, sitting down in between the two humans and looking at what was going on, not really understand any of the words (as they were all flying over his ovine brain).

On his part, Alexei had already fished out the scrap pieces of paper and was writing down notes—hilariously in that cursed cursive that couldn’t make heads or tails of (just because it was easier than writing it out in Common, at least for him) as he paid attention to the details.

“You mentioned there were two towers, who or what calls the other tower home?” he asked curiously.

To be fair, Alexei is from Unova, so it made sense that he would ask about the other tower as well, just to make sure he had all the details straight.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2022 11:12:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Saber was a gentle giant toward the Wooloo for now; if any more of them surrounded him, his hyperactive side might take over. And that was not a good thing when inside a residence. Josh really didn't want to break anything. He heard the Manectric getting a bit restless. "I know you want to run, Raikou, but now isn't the time." Still keeping the charade up. The fantasy was just too fun to imagine, though! He longed for the day it was real.

"The Guardian of the Sea, Lugia, and according to the legend, the Beasts' sworn enemy. Whether that's real or not, I don't think I ever want to find out. The sheer devastation they would wreak..." He had always thought of Ho-oh, the Great One, as a benevolent god, and Lugia as a malevolent one. Perhaps he was just a little biased. Just a little. "Anyway, like I was saying, Raikou's speed is absolutely in a different league compared to the others. It was part of the reason initially why I wanted to befriend and ride Raikou...to experience that speed for myself. Of course, I now have a much more important reason to chase him, and that is to change Hoenn's future away from the imminent collision course with annihilation she is on. To change the future that refuses to be changed." He was, of course, referring to his experience in the Cloud. But that would come later.

"Next is about a great hero. I would call it the Hero of Johto, but I can't say for sure the origin. A couple of regions have very similar stories, but I'll go over this one with you. It's one of the reasons I'm inclined to believe that out of all the Legendary Pokémon, that Suicune, Entei, and Raikou are some of the most likely to seek human allies. It all starts with a children's song that's never truly been able to leave my mind:

A deep, deep valley blocks the way.
If you can cross, go ahead, I say.
The scary valley likes to brag,
"No one can cross my rocky crags!"
What nonsense speaks the silly valley?
For
Great Raikou, it's one bound.
Hero on its back, just one bound.

"Now obviously the valley is symbolic of something far more serious. This is a children's song, after all." Was Josh the hero that would cross the deep valley in a single bound? Only time would tell.

{WC: 410}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2022 3:03:42 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Okay, okay, hold up, let me get all of this written down,” he remarked as the pen flew across the paper in that cursed cursive form as fast as he could manage.

“You know I’m going to have to backtrack a few times so I can get all the details down, right? I hope you don’t mind me asking extra questions here and there.”

In no time flat the paper he was scribbling on was full, so he flipped it over and continued scratching on the other side.

At the mention of ‘change the future’ though, the scratching pen came to a stop.

“Wait. Wait, wait. Hold that thought. I might have to get back to you on the ‘great hero’ again. What do you mean, ‘change the future’?”

Little did he realize that this was referring to the Cyberchase Conundrum that had gone down in the Cloud—of which he only had less than half of the total summation of memories of what had gone down.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2022 3:20:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Not at all!" Josh affirmed. "I know it's a lot to take in." It had been long enough since his terrifying journey through the Cloud that he felt at least a little comfortable talking about it again. Still, he had to warn Alex. "We can come back to the Great Hero later. I do want to warn you ahead of time. I've told this story to a lot of people, and I've broken down crying. I think I feel better about it now, but I'll try to go over it again."

Josh completely lost track of time sharing his story of the future that refused to be changed, and how his Absol saved his life that he was willing to throw away for a chance to save that of his Manectric. "When I left the Cloud, I got them back. Everything was reversed. Except what my Absol did to me to save my life." He pulled back his left sleeve, revealing a massive PSYCHO CUT scar the width of his arm. Next, he pulled up his shirt just enough to show a cauterized yet still-healing wound of similar complexion, the entire width of his chest. "It doesn't hurt nearly as much now. But this is a permanent reminder of what happened then. And that..."

Josh's silence seemed to echo throughout the entire room.

"And that is why I want, more than anything in the world, to sit atop that thundercloud, hold Raikou's reins in my own two hands, and prevent that future from happening. I can't bear to see Raikou, or my own Pokémon, dead like that."

{WC: 268}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2022 5:10:11 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The longer the other talked about what had happened in the ‘Cloud’, as it was, he couldn’t help but look back on the… what had happened there.

“The… the future?” he began, stammering as he very nearly lost his grip on the pen he was holding. The paper that was almost full also slipped out of his hands, landing on the floor as he blinked and tried to process the—the everything, about the… the ‘Cloud’ and what had seemingly happened there.

“I…” he trailed off, before a sudden spike of pain coursed through his head, causing him to flinch for a few moments.

“Ugh, ow… I don’t… I don’t know why… but my head suddenly hurts.”

He leaned back against the couch, trying to catch his breath. There were flashes of—things, scenes he didn’t understand—going through his mind’s eye right then and there.

“That… ‘Cloud’ sounds like a dangerous place,” he hissed as he blinked several times in rapid succession, attempting to calm the panic that was rising inside him. The sounds of a loud, clattering train were ringing in his ears as he tried to force himself to remain in the present.

“That… future… I d-don’t think, it’s going to happen,” he continued, forcing himself to stop from taking deep breaths (and hyperventilating).

“I don’t think. It wouldn’t.”

Ugh, ow… but for some reason—why did it still hurt inside his head?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
5,955 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2022 5:43:36 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The longer Josh went on about the Cloud, the more stressed Alex seemed to get. The Fortree Leader's speech became progressively more stammered over time, eventually looking like he was in pain. "You okay?!" Perhaps Alex, too, had his own version of Cyberchase Hell he went through. He must have gone through something far worse, as impossible as that was to imagine. What could possibly be worse than seeing one's entire Pokémon team, and almost every legendary Pokémon in the world, murdered with surgical precision?

Alex seemed to get progressively worse the longer Josh talked about his own Cyberchase Hell. "When I left the Cloud and I got my arm and my Manectric back, I vowed that day that I would do everything in my power to prevent that future from happening. I feel that particular future is very real, but it is only one future. It will only be real if we don't do anything about it." Even Josh's breaths were starting to get heavy. "I don't know if I told you, but originally I wanted to befriend Raikou to race him. But now..."

Even Josh was starting to get a bit dizzy talking about the heavy topic. "Every day since then, I've felt my connection to Raikou grow stronger and stronger. I've got a long ways to go. I know it. Spiritually, mentally, and physically. If I were to sit stop that thundercloud right now, I would leave a pancake. The past is something I cannot change. The present is something I cannot change. But after developing the spiritual, mental, and physical grit necessary to hold Raikou's reins and control every ounce of his speed, I will change the future. Even if that future refuses to be changed."

Josh was starting to grow more concerned by the moment. "I think that's more than enough of that topic. How about I get back to the story of the Hero of Johto?" he asked the agonized Gym Leader.

{WC: 330}
{PC: 8}