6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Even in Pokémon, F.O.E.! [MLG/Exploration Badge]
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2022 6:38:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Until his stay at Grace Hospital in Mauville, Josh had no clue that there was a second Gym in Mauville City! It brought him back to the days when his Racing Ground were part of the Minor League, as well. Though he had given up the Gym Challenge, there was something about Rosmontis' Gym that piqued his interest. It reminded him of a video game series he used to play before he came to Hoenn. It was a first-person dungeon crawler where being a cartographer was part of the challenge. No auto-mapping, no hints; the player had to draw and note maps manually. There was ample functionality to do so, but the player's dungeon knowledge was only as good as his notes. He had conquered thiety levels of Yggdrasil six times throughout the series' lifespan. This Gym gave him that same vibe. He put his name on the signup sheet for a week after his expected discharge date.

Because this was a challenge of exploration and not purely combat skills, Josh had to think long and hard about his team. He would need Pokémon with a wide variety of utilities available to him. Saber was a must, as it was part of the heroic costume he would be wearing. But who else to bring? He couldn't bring any strictly aquatic Pokémon, as he was uncertain there would be a place for them to swim. That left Resheph to account for aquatic travel. As for the rest of his roster, he couldn't go wrong with the rest of his Eeveelution squad. Not wanting to double up on any times, he ultimately decided that Janus, Kamuy, Pinky, and Aslan would be coming to the Gym with him.

The fellow Mauville Gym Leader entered the forested lobby astride Saber, his Manectric, both of them in costume. The Manectric wore a mask in the likeness of Raikou's face and crown, a tail dongle in the shape of the Beast's tail spark, a purple thundercloud saddle Josh sat in, and even had black stripes on his legs. Josh wore a vest that looked like a yellow breastplate, a yellow cape, and even had a plastic, lightning bolt-shaped sword sheathed at his hips. Even if it was just a cosplay, he looked like he was the hero that rode upon Raikou's back.

Josh went up to the check-in desk and registered. "Good morning! I'm here to see Rosmontis for a scheduled trip through the Forest of Secrets. Name's Leader Josh Devlin. Thought it would be neat for the two Mauville Leaders to go at each others' Gyms." After filling out the necessary onsite paperwork, he guided Saber toward the waiting area, petting his Manectric-dressed-as-Raikou from time to time as the two eagerly anticipated their turn to jump into the challenge.

{WC: 466}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Pinky         Sylveon        Good
Kamuy         Umbreon        Good
Janus         Espeon         Good
Resheph       Dragonair      Good

close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
But I still believe, someday this lie will set me free
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Oct 10, 2022 9:33:12 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]
[attr="class","omgentop"]FOREST OF SECRETS

[attr="class","omgenmid"]

non-traditional

Eden's Grotto is by no means flashy with their hub. The forest sways with a quiet melody unlike many other gyms, leading through an archway made of twisted vines and a simple dirt path. And as he follows the road, he will sense the many gazes attempting to drown him - Curiosity, hunger, malice and mischief all swirling with the light footsteps of unseen travellers.[break][break]

Eventually, he makes it to a small clearing, a rather peaceful forest cabin situated not too far from a smouldering campfire. By the campfire sits two kids, each looking identical to each other from a distance. Their white-hair shines with the afternoon glow, their accessories and outfits matching each other piece for piece.[break][break]

Approaching them for the registration seems like the best idea. At least, until they turn around to face Josh in silence, one sporting a rather derpy face whilst the other jumps a little. His introduction will garner no responses save for some shifty eyes from the more normal looking one, the other simply disappearing without a trace.[break][break]

It feels like it gets nowhere: No words, no instructions, not even a direction to start him off. Just as he hands the paperwork to the silent girl, another pair of hands reaches out for it. It's yet another copy of the two (partially) identical twins, only this time, she has a rather stern glare directed at her doppelganger.[break][break]

"When I said watch for anyone coming in, I didn't mean for you guys to transform into me."[break][break]

In her arms sits a melting Ditto, its derpy grin matching the face of the girl who'd disappeared. By her side stands a majestic Luxray, his head dipped in acknowledgement before he gives the doppelganger a quick smack on the back. With that, she disappears in a cloud of smoke, a red-tipped tail darting off before it can get caught.[break][break]

"Sorry about that, just had to check on a few things before I let anyone on the trail today! Rosmontis Lune, and you must be Josh Devlin?" Her attention flicks from his odd outfit to the paper and back, a curious look painted within her gaze. After a brief moment of checking through the paper, she seems unfazed as she dusts bits of dirt off her dress.[break][break]

"Bright colours is definitely a way that nature uses to tell others to stay away. That or it becomes a clear giveaway of where you are." She hums, clapping her hands together and watching as several pokemon make their way towards them. "Perhaps, you'd like a companion to help you determine which it might be?"

PROMPTS

In this gym challenge, you will be required to make rolls and choices at various challenges presented - These may affect the upcoming challenges you face! Having a pokemon that has a move or ability to overcome the challenge provides an extra die to roll with (advantage). For this round, feel free to pick a companion to guide you on this journey or refuse the aid. Each companion comes with a boon and a bane of their own.[break][break]

Yanmega - The Alert[break]
It's hard to sneak up on someone that can see in all kinds of directions at the same time. Picking her allows you to become more aware of your surroundings and pick up on more clues when investigating the area. However, she is just as cautious as she is alert and may end up taking you on a detour.[break][break]

Ditto - The Mimic[break]
As the saying goes, two heads are better than one? Picking him allows you to create replicas of pokemon or objects that you have encountered along your challenge. You can even ask him to replicate yourself. But this mimic is a spirit of mischief, so watch your back.[break][break]

Comfey - The Giving[break]
Soft and kind, always willing to provide help to those who need it. Picking her allows you to tackle encounters with advantage when attempting to befriend them or ask them for favours. However, a failed encounter raises the aggression of the pokemon encountered and may hinder your way forward.[break][break]

Surprise me // I know what I want[break]
So it seems that these companions don't quite catch your eye. Suggest a trait that you may be looking for in a companion / Leave the choice in Rosmontis' hands and she will provide you with a new one![break][break]

Once you have chosen, make a roll in your post![break][break]

Bonus note Due to your current choice of clothing, you find yourself to be brighter than most of the flora and fauna present in this area! This may have an effect on your upcoming challenges!
[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2022 6:23:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Forest of Secrets, Rosmontis' Gym, seemed like it didn't even have a formal lobby; the entire facility was outdoors. As the gazes of wild creatures bore down on him, Josh jabbed his knees into his mount's sides. "Raikou, can we go a little faster?" he asked Saber, the Manectric happy to pick up the pace.

As he approached the registration area, Josh was not expecting to find two Gym Leaders. As the second dematerialized into a Ditto, it all made sense. The Mauville Major Leader was particularly impressed with her Luxray; he wished he had brought his own. Saber masquerading as Raikou would have to do. "You stand before the Hero of Johto and Raikou's Avatar, Josh, the Committed!" he boisterously declared, raising his plastic, lightning bolt-shaped sword above his head for a pose before sheathing it and dropping the charade.

"I had to. It's that time of year," Josh laughed. "Great to meet you in person, Rosmontis. I am indeed Mauville Gym Leader Josh Devlin. Until after the assassination attempt that left me in the hospital for eleven days, I had no clue that Mauville City had a second Pokémon Gym! Had to check it out." Saber let out a bark of greeting toward the powerful-looking Luxray. "And Saber here isn't really a Raikou, sadly. I wish." The rider briefly tilted the electric Pokémon's mask up to reveal the face of a Manectric beneath. "Thank you for all the best wishes when I was in the hospital. It means a lot."

Josh carefully considered the choice Rosmontis offered him. He immediately dismissed the Ditto, and the Comfey would likely blend in with his outfit. Having eyes in the back of his head was the most appealing option. "I choose the Yanmega!"

zPSrVw2K

{WC: 295}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2022 3:33:59 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]

non-traditional

There is a moment of silence that sits between them, wrought with uncertainty and perhaps even bits of confusion as Rosmontis cocks her head at the sight. Her Luxray just seems to look away as all of this unfolds before them.[break][break]

"I've never quite had avatars attempt my challenge, but a forest is still a forest: Wild and unpredictable, a force to be reckoned with. Then again, a hero like you might find it to be much easier than you initially expected." She seems unfazed by his outburst, her hands carefully patting the Ditto's head as he burbles.[break][break]

"I'm glad that you've recovered and I hope that you'll stay out of the hospital for a while. You may have been recently discharged but these pokemon don't quite know that, and they probably don't care about it either. As long as you seem like a threat, you will get attacked. So do take care as you make your way through the forest today."[break][break]

It's by no means mean-spirited when she makes those statements. She looks to Yanmega with a knowing nod then flicks her attention back to Josh, gesturing to the dirt trail up ahead.[break][break]

"Whenever you're ready, feel free to go down that path. I wish you luck in your travels, traveller."[break][break]

[break]

Ema the Yanmega buzzes with boundless energy, zipping from one side of the path to the other as she leads the way forwards. Crooked branches hang off looming trees, their bases splintered as they cling onto their parent for dear life. Leaves colour the dirt path with many odd colours, vibrant greens ripped to pieces with some being smeared with a dark red.[break][break]

Up ahead, a faint gurgling sound seems to echo through the woods, carrying a rather acrid scent that Josh can't quite put a finger on. It is here that Ema's buzzing comes to an abrupt stop, her gaze fixated on a strange dirt mound poking out of a bush.

PROMPTS

Forested Wonders: There's something up ahead... Attempt to locate the source of the gurgling or the strange scent[break][break]

Immediate Questions: Stuff doesn't seem right in the immediate vicinity. Attempt to investigate your area for anything that piques your interest[break][break]

Rethink Things: Suggest any other course of action that Josh might take[break][break]

Once you have chosen, make a roll in your post![break][break]

Bonus note Due to your current choice of clothing, you find yourself to be brighter than most of the flora and fauna present in this area! This may have an effect on your upcoming challenges!
[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 16, 2022 7:34:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Wait, back up a minute. Did Rosmontis truly believe Josh was an Avatar? Was his costume and obviously plastic sword that convincing? He had to set that record straight, right now. "I wish. I wish I was Raikou's Avatar," he lsughed, Saber letting out a bark of his own. His tone was obviously one of jest, so there was no way Rosmontis would believe he was actually serious about chasing Raikou, right? "It's October, and it's in the spirit of Halloween."

With that settled, Josh waved toward the young Leader. "Thanks for the best wishes and the good luck!" He tilted his head toward the woods' entrance, gently thrusting his legs into his mount's sides. "Come on, Sa--er, Raikou. Let's go!" It still warmed his heart enough to call his Manectric by the name Raikou when they were in costume, even if the charade had long since passed.

Ema's buzzing was loud indeed. It reminded him of his friend that he routinely spent time at the arcade with. She was a bit of a wild child in that she loves riding bug Pokémon, including a Yanmega. Even with earplugs, how she sat between their wings blew his mind. Wouldn't that just be deafening?

Suddenly, Ema stopped, her compound eyes staring toward a bush. Curiosity getting the better of Josh, he guided his Manectric toward the dirt mound, the electric-type sniffing around. Anything to keep that sensitive nose of his away from that awful, awful smell.
QkI93w7e

{WC: 246}
{PC: 3}

ooc note: [ Immediate Questions ] -> Choosing to investigate the area the Yanmega is fixated on!
close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 4:51:35 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]

non-traditional

"Avatar, hero, civilian, Rocket, League. What you are matters not to me nor the forest. We remain impartial to all who enter." There is neither belief nor disbelief in her features, only an unyielding calm that seeks for the person that he is. But had he looked hard enough, he might have caught the way she fidgeted with with her sleeves.[break][break]

Nevertheless, all of these details are lost to the decision that faces, his choice leading to a rather unexpected encounter.[break][break]

As his Manetric begins to sniff the dirt mound, a small peeping noise begins to grow. And it gets louder and louder, violently rattling the strange mound until it finally breaks apart in a mess of sticks and dirt, only to reveal a rather tiny creature.[break][break]

[break]

It stares at the brightly-coloured Josh and his strange-looking pokemon for a moment, before promptly hopping up to the Manetric and rubbing its face against the nearest leg. Judging by its unending squeaks, it seems to have taken a liking to his company.

You have found a wild ROWLET! Rowlet has joined your party!

A southern wind blows cold through these woods. Try as hard as he may to avoid the horrid scent, it seems to grow stronger by the second. Ema begins to buzz vigorously, turning her gaze upwind then towards the gurgling noise. They both seem to be approximately in the same direction, but with one veering more to the left than the other.

PROMPTS

You have encountered a young Rowlet! Rowlet holds the ability to scout ahead and check for upcoming obstacles. You may ask for its assistance once during any point of your challenge.[break][break]

The horrid scent seems to grow stronger as cold winds blow. Lying more to the left is the source if a strange gurgling noise, whereas the unexplainable stench seems to drift more from the right.[break][break]

What will you do?[break][break]

You do not need to make a roll this round![break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 6:25:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Saber reared in fright as the dirt mound he was sniffing exploded. "Whoa! Easy, boy!" Josh cried, holding on for dear life. From it emerged a tiny Rowlet, the grass-type enthralled with the Mauville Gym Leader's mount. "So cute!" he said in an unusually high pitched voice, at least by his standards. "Can you sit down for a little bit, Saber?" the rider asked of his electric Pokémon. The Manectric obeyed, Josh spreading his legs to let the ground lift him out of the saddle. He crouched down to pick up the excited Rowlet. "You want to come with us?" he asked of the wide-eyed Pokémon, picking the grass-type bird up and allowing it to roost either on top of Saber's yellow head or at the end of his saddle, whichever it felt more comfortable with.

An extra set of eyes at his beck and call, Josh mounted up once more, the Manectric following Ema toward the gurgling noise. The racer wanted to check out the source of the scent, but he felt exposing Saber's sensitive nose to such a pungent aroma would be inconsiderate. He paid careful attention to the Rowlet's mood, attempting to keep the speedy electric-type to a pace the wild was comfortable with. If the young Pokémon wanted to go fast, all the better!

{WC: 221}
{PC: 4}

Ema           Yanmega        Good
Rowlet        Rowlet         Good

> Rowlet holds the ability to scout ahead and check for upcoming obstacles. You may ask for its assistance once during any point of your challenge.
close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Oct 29, 2022 12:00:25 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]

non-traditional

Every young and free spirit is born with a sense of curiosity, gifted an interest in the world that lays beyond their dens and nests. The Rowlet chirps as Josh begins to pick it up, ruffling its feathers as its little feet tip-tip-tap atop Saber's head.[break][break]

And the choice to head towards the gurgling noise is heeded, the Yanmega zipping from side to side as they begin to meander a little off the dirt path. Twisted roots peek above the ground, overgrown ferns and weeds seeking to ensnare the feet of whatever creature walks by. Worst of all are the stinging nettles, scattered all over the ground with the promise of causing excruciating pain for anyone that attempts to step on it.[break][break]

Ema turns to face the duo, examining their attentiveness and resolve as her wings continue to buzz with sheer force. Then she tilts her body a little to the right, indicating the presence of an alternative route should they prefer to take that. However, the road she points out seems to lead to the thinning of the forest line, bright sunlight filtering through to show a rather steep cliff up ahead.[break][break]

PROMPTS

For certain challenges, you may be required to roll to determine the outcomes of your actions. Having any of your pokemon use a move or ability to overcome the challenge provides an extra die to roll with (advantage). As a note, you are allowed access to your pc pokemon and can call upon more than one pokemon at a time.[break][break]

Float like a Butterfree: Speed may be your strong suit but here, precision is key. Attempt to navigate your way through the overgrown plants and stinging nettle without getting caught or stung! Make a roll with your attempt![break][break]

Better safe than sorry...?: Things seem a little too messy for you to take a chance. Take a detour and head towards the cliff side instead. Make a roll![break][break]

Extra steps: Observe your surroundings, prepare yourself for dangers up ahead or suggest anything else that Josh may do in such a situation.[break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 30, 2022 9:32:51 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Rowlet's chirp made Josh smile. It seemed the Manectric's static didn't bother the small bird too much. Perhaps it was because the bird didn't actually have the Flying type? He hadn't studied Alolan and Galarian species too much, outside the Pokémon well-suited for racing such as Crash, his Boltund. If the young Pokémon was purely Grass-type, then being comfortable around the static made sense.

Ema taking Saber a bit off the beaten path, the Manectric suddenly reared, startling the "Avatar" on his back. Before the mount and rider was a field of nettle-covered weeds and vines that would be positively impossible to walk through, even with thick, leather boots. The low, undulating ceiling made things challenging as well, leaving him unable to use his larger flying Pokémon.

Thankfully, Josh had brought the perfect flying Pokémon for the job! He dismounted the electric Pokémon and spread his arms for the Rowlet to jump into. If the grass-type was able to safely descend, he would withdraw his Manectric for his Dragonair, Resheph. The serpentine dragon, with the ability to hover and make precise undulations with her body, was his best bet for crossing. He helped the grass-type find the most comfortable spot on the Dragon-type's back, which was probably at the end of her saddle, before backing her up a good distance.

Keeping the nettles in sight, Josh took a deep breath. "Alright, little one, hold on tight! This is gonna get fast!" The racer firmly gripped Resheph's reins. "Resheph, use your AGILITY!" A relxaed coo later, the Dragonair whizzed toward the maze of foliage, her speed-boosting technique not only propelling her faster, but making it easier to react to sudden twists and turns. The danger was in Josh getting flung off; in his haste, he was unaware he had failed to snap his cocoon together, leaving him at risk!

rolling with advantage for Agility if applicable
UamIuc2f

{WC: 314}
{PC: 5}

Resheph       Dragonair      Good

> Rowlet holds the ability to scout ahead and check for upcoming obstacles. You may ask for its assistance once during any point of your challenge.·
close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2022 2:27:43 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]

non-traditional

Curiosity fills the tiny bird as it watches the Manetric disappear in a flash of light, its chirps growing loud as out comes another creature it's never seen before. And with a bit of preparation, they're all set to try and conquer the challenge before them.[break][break]

However, speed will do no good in a cluster of foliage like this.[break][break]

The wind currents that the Dragonair kicks up begins to suck in a trail of leaves, and the breeze only seems to grow stronger as eerie cries begin to ring throughout the woods. All of a sudden, it seems like the forest bursts into life. Vines drip down from the canopy, weaving tight nets that ensnare anything that tries to break through. And just as Resheph might dodge one of these traps, another set of vines snap up from the ground, twisting around her legs and dragging her right down towards the endless sea of stinging nettles.[break][break]

Amidst the shadows between the wriggling vines, numerous eyes stare right at Josh and the trembling Rowlet by his side.[break][break]

PROMPTS

Speed may be your strong suit but here, precision is key. The slumbering forest hides many secrets and they've taken you by surprise. With Resheph now ensnared and being pulled towards the ground, what will you do?[break][break]

You do not need to roll this round.[break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 8:13:59 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
When used properly, speed was an incredibly potent weapon, perhaps more potent than the strength needed to throw powerful punches and kicks like a Machamp. Perhaps more potent, even, then the fully harnessed mind of an Alakazam. Speed was also a potent shield. What better defense was there than to avoid getting hit in the first place? Josh had commanded the Dragonair to race above the nettles as fast as she could, and it was working...for a time.

Thick, green nets of vines dropped down from the canopy, the rider skillfully weaving his dragon around them. While Josh had superior reaction time from being used to flying at absurd speeds, the human reaction time had its limits, and this one showed that limit. The two found themselves ensnared in a net, Resheph's tail bound. There went his original plan! He was going to use his Pyroar to burn off a small section of the vines and nettles around him, giving him space to land and fight. That wasn't happening now, though! With Resheph unable to use her AQUA TAIL, he had no way to contain the fire!

He needed more information on what was behind the forest's sudden and harsh reaction to him speeding on through toward its core. And fast. Otherwise he would wind up picking thorns out of his racing suit--and the skin underneath--for a long and painful time. His legs may have been bound, but his arms were not! He pitched Janus's Poké Ball toward the direction where the eyes were most complicated, the saddled Espeon emerging from within. "Use your DAZZLING GLEAM, Janus! Not to harm, but to illuminate!" The psychic-type's forked tail stood straight up, his forehead gem glowing in hues of red and white. From it came a bright light that Josh hoped would identify what was causing the woods to lash out at him and give him an idea of how to handle the predicament he was in.

{WC: 326}
{PC: 6}

Resheph       Dragonair      Good | Leg Bind

> Rowlet holds the ability to scout ahead and check for upcoming obstacles. You may ask for its assistance once during any point of your challenge.
close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2022 5:06:47 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]

non-traditional

The sudden introduction of bright light into their humble abode causes the vines to waver for but a moment, the many piercing eyes now shut tight as blue tendrils begin to flail wildly. And as they do so, Ema swoops in to cut Josh's Dragonair free of her bindings.[break][break]

"Tang! Tangela!"[break][break]

One begins to scream in outrage, wriggling its tendrils haplessly as many more shrubs begin to rustle with life. Some begin to slither across the ground, aiming to snatch at Janus' legs and immobilise. Others attempt to flail around in order to grab onto Resheph once more, unable to aim properly whilst blinded by the light.[break][break]

Seizing this opportunity, the Yanmega begins to dart across the field with extreme grace. However, unlike the gym leader's attempts at speeding across the field, her movements seem calculated, every short stretch of flight soon interrupted by a sharp turn to the side or a retreat. And with every choice she makes, she manages to narrowly avoid the vines whipping straight towards her. It's almost as if she sees a pattern through this perilous fields with her Tinted Lenses and perhaps, her path is one that he might notice and be able to replicate with a keen attention to detail.[break][break]

PROMPTS

Speed may be your strong suit but here, precision is key. With a lack of attention for your surroundings whilst going fast, you have been ambushed by wild pokemon! Now broken free by a combination of efforts, Ema seems to have found a pattern to traversing these grounds. Due to her attention for detail, you can make two rolls for this round, with an extra roll gained for each move or ability used to tackle the challenge. The only thing left now is to figure out how will you break through![break][break]

Threat Identified! By illuminating your surroundings, you have found the source of the vines to be ambushing Tangela and blinded those closest to you. Your knowledge of the threat you now face will grant a bonus of +10 to your roll until the threat has subsided![break][break]

Make a roll this round![break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 2, 2022 3:35:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The blinding light of Janus' DAZZLING GLEAM freed him from the clutches of his now-identified assailants: a large horde of Tangela. His first instinct was to raze a path through them all with Aslan; the Kalosian jungle king would have little trouble doing so. That was what the old Josh would have done without hesitation. Once the flames had scared the Tangela away, cleaning them up would have been fairly simple, having Resheph's AQUA TAIL to fling water over a wide area. He had once done exactly that alongside , the two putting out a fire at Petalburg Campground. Aslan's FLAMETHROWER was far too dangerous to use over such a wide area and cause a repeat of this, particularly on official League challenge grounds.

That plan wasn't going to cut it here.

His training as a Ranger gave him valuable insight. While Leader-rank trainers were known for their exemplary conflict resolution skills through Pokémon combat, his experience as an environmentalist bestowed conflict resolution skills on the coin's flip side. After he stepped back and thought about it, the battle had already been won. He had Ema. The Yanmega knew the forest well. If anyone knew a way through the swaths of rattled Tangela, it was the buzzing bug. Josh withdrew his Espeon and hopped back onto his Dragonair's back. "Follow the Yanmega! Carefully!" Josh commanded, leaving the reins hooked to the end of her saddle and leaving the precision flight entirely in the dragon-type's control. Any Tangela who wandered too close would be meant with a strong dose of THUNDER WAVE to keep them at bay.

p7te5mLe

{WC: 266}
{PC: 7}

> Rowlet holds the ability to scout ahead and check for upcoming obstacles. You may ask for its assistance once during any point of your challenge.·
close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
awards
4,778 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2022 11:54:12 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]

non-traditional

There is a hint of a new plan, the Mauville gym leader quick to catch on as he asks his Dragonair to follow after Ema. Of course, the less agile dragon struggles just a little on the sharp corners, sliding a little as she tries to readjust her flight course. But most of the dangers is deal with by the shocking Thunder Waves, the agitated Tangelas keeping their distance whenever they feel their bodies going numb.[break][break]

Soon enough, it seems like they make it out of the strange minefield of living flora and disguised fauna. The Yanmega flutters with a satisfied buzz, making a quick circle around as they come to a stop in the middle of the nowhere. Dense vegetation still surrounds them but unlike before, the gurgling sounds seems to have grown louder. In the brief moments where silence completely takes over, the sounds reveals something more: The whooshing and blubbing of moving water.[break][break]

The source is just a few more minutes ahead, a patient and carefully plotted route allowing the travelers a moment of respite until they hit the banks of a wide river. Across the river, there seems to be a rather scuffed dirt path leading deeper into the forest on the other end. As Josh continues to observes his surroundings, he will see a bold Dragapult attempting to cross the river.[break][break]

The first few seconds go well, the ghostly dragon barely facing any problems as it flies across the water. But as soon as it reaches the middle of the stream, a Quagsire emerges, then another, then another. Before it can even process what's happening, the Dragapult finds itself being pelted with water and balls of mud. And the barrage of flying projectiles doesn't seem to stop until it rushes back to the side of the river it'd come from.[break][break]

Having watched that rather brutal game of makeshift dodgeball, both the Rowlet and Yanmega turn to look at Josh. From the way things look, there are several routes that they could take. Follow the river, cross the river or retrace his footsteps and try to find another path.

PROMPTS

Having made it past the horde of ambushing Tangela, you find yourself standing before a big river. Across the river, there's a strange dirt path that leads somewhere? However, the local Quagsire population doesn't seem to take too kindly to those who try to cross it?[break][break]

Follow the Trail: The dirt path on the other side seems like a good clue. Attempt to cross the river without being taken out by the Quagsires![break][break]

Stick to it: Perhaps trying to cross the river is a bad idea, but how close do you have to get before the Quagsires begin to attack? Try to follow the river instead and see where it leads![break][break]

Okay, Wrong Way: Maybe it'd be better to avoid the Quagsires as a whole? Make a u-turn and try to find a different path forwards! Maybe with a little investigation, you'll find clues pointing towards your final destination?[break][break]

Make a roll this round, two if you choose to use an ability or move that might help![break][break]

[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,113 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 13, 2022 19:28:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After watching Ema fly around the Tangela with more precision than a world-class helicopter pilot, Josh wondered how his friend Shalin flew on that Yanmega of hers without getting serious whiplash. It felt like Resheph was flicking him back and forth just trying to keep up with the sudden turns! Once they were in the clear, the young Leader reined Resheph in, slowing to a relaxing pace and allowing him to catch his breath. He loved a good chase, but those kinds of turns had worn him out much like a high-difficulty race course!

As the serpentine dragon and rider hovered near the riverbank, the impact of mud balls against dragon scales drew Josh's attention. There appeared to be a large number of Quagsire keeping a Dragapult from crossing. If they could hold back a floating, fully-grown dragon, then Josh's very Ground-weak squad wouldn't stand a chance. Even Kamuy, who could shrug the earthen attack off, would find himself quickly surrounded. They had to find another way. He didn't know which way, though!

Josh remembered the Rowlet that kept itself perched at the end of the saddle of whatever Pokémon he was astride. "Hey little guy, you know this forest better than I do. Mind being an extra set of eyes for me?" With that, he lowered his arm for the grass-type to climb onto. If the small Pokémon complied, he would raise it as much as he comfortably could to give the bird as much room as possible to take off and scout ahead. The Mauville Leader wanted to be as informed as possible before committing to a path ahead.

JxxnTCfo

> Josh will be asking for Rowlet's scouting assistance for one or more of the paths in this round, as you deem appropriate.

{WC: 273}
{PC: 8}