Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
I cannot conceive of a universe
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
Curiosity is one of the great secrets of happiness.
awards
1,349 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2022 3:32:24 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","nomitest3"]
[attr="class","nomitest3title"]

A Tera Test

[attr="class","nomitest3body"]

Nomi clutched the TERA CRYSTAL tightly in her hand, as if afraid it might disappear into thin air if she let go of it, then stepped back to assess the array of laboratory equipment she'd arranged on the work table. Bunsen burners, glass vials, a digital scale, a collection of test liquids (including, but not limited to, various acids and toxins), tongs, a rock coring machine, a rock lapping machine, a rock cutting machine, a laboratory oven, an abrasion machine, a universal testing machine, and finally - and perhaps most impressively - a portable ultrasonic non-destructive indicator tester she'd searched all over her university for when she'd realized Rocket didn't have one.[break][break]
It was a lot. Might be too much, really. After all, the most important testing materials were Pokémon. Which was precisely why Nomi had put a call out for volunteers - other Rockets who might want to be part of some of Nomi's testing - not just because they might be interested in scientific discovery, but because she wanted to give others a chance to see how their own Pokémon might change under the influence of the new Tera energy Rocket had discovered on Meteno.[break][break]
Trillium, Nomi's Togekiss, hovered beside her, eager to help her with her studies. Thus far, he was the only Pokémon she owned that had experienced the Tera Crystal's power. She wanted to see if he would transform in the exact same way again, or if it would be different now that they were earthside. Assuming she could even get the crystal to react to him again.[break][break]
Nomi sucked in a breath, feeling suddenly exhausted. She'd been working nonstop since she'd returned from space. When was the last time she'd had a full night's sleep? There's a lot to do, she reminded herself, somewhat dismissively. A quieter, smaller voice tried to counter with a different sentiment - you'll burn out, you need rest just like everyone else... - but she pushed it away.[break][break]
She glanced down at the sign-up sheet she'd posted, finding the first name on the list: . The woman should be here any minute now. Nomi had sent out instructions to the volunteers about location and timing. Nomi hadn't had an opportunity to spend much time with Aurelie, so she found herself curiously wondering what sort of woman she was.[break][break]
Ceri has been so busy lately... Why did that thought suddenly pop into Nomi's head? Well, she did miss her friend, there was that. But Nomi had been busy too. She felt suddenly irritated with herself; she was about to run an experiment with a stranger, she didn't have time for sentimentality...

[break][break]

NOTES

- Nomi's Outfit (underneath required PPE)

[attr="class","nomitest3pkmn"]

[attr="class","nomitest3credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".nomitest3"]--accent:#f798d6;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3title"]letter-spacing:.5px;text-transform:uppercase;font:800 16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 b"]color:var(--accent);font:800 14px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 a"]font:12px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:jutify;font:12px Poppins;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:10px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3credit a"]font-size:10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
A keen mind cuts deeper than even the sharpest sword.
awards
1,024 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2022 3:00:16 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]Testing a material is a learning process
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]During Rocket's grand Sootopolis summit—how incredibly long ago that seemed now!—Aurelie had expressed a sincere interest in investigating whatever minerals the Rocket mining team could manage to secure from the infamous 99943 METENO meteoroid, even if she knew those minerals would be unlikely to be anything that she could ever use for smithing. She'd never have guessed that the meteoroid would yield something like the Tera Crystals, of which she'd only heard vague speculation and rumors so far. Some said they could change a Pokemon's type or form, while others claimed they turned the Pokemon into living crystal, and still others whispered the Tera Crystals could all be reassembled to form a deadly weapon, an amazing new energy source, or something even more fantastical.

It was all quite mysterious and fascinating, and thoroughly within Aurelie's general field of interest, if not her professional specialty or a cause that she would've cared to fight and die for. When she'd seen the notice at Rocket HQ for assistants to help with testing a newly acquired Tera crystal, Aurelie had signed up promptly and eagerly. Though she wasn't as interested in seeing the crystal's effect on her Pokemon, the red-haired smith was quite excited to analyze, measure, and record the properties of this literally otherworldly new material.

Besides, this would be her first foray into Rocket's labs, which would surely be an education all on its own. Though Aurelie had never envisioned pursuing any other career but metalsmithing, most of her materials engineering classmates had gone on to work in industrial or academic R&D, and of course they'd all done time as interns and co-ops in labs and companies around Anistar City, assisting with the professional engineers' tasks and tests. Aurelie wondered if working in the Rocket labs would feel nostalgic or novel—if she'd be transported back to her college years or if she'd encounter the "ghastly and unnatural" experiments that League propaganda always claimed Rocket was conducting.

She grinned at the thought as she pushed open the doors to the lab that the owner of the Tera crystal, , had reserved. Her Magneton floated gently behind her, its innate magnetic field dampened by an arrangement of solenoids and batteries generating an opposing magnetic field so that it wouldn't disrupt the electronics or cause a magnetic storm inside the lab. If ever a Pokemon could help test a new material's electric conductivity or magnetism, Aurelie figured it'd be a Magneton.

Lab coats, safety goggles, gloves, and aprons were hanging by the doors, and Aurelie slid them on while scanning the lab for anyone else there. Seeing a pink-haired young woman also swathed in PPE, with a Togekiss hovering beside her, Aurelie walked toward her. Extending her hand, she offered a friendly smile.

"Hello, I'm Aurelie," she said forthrightly, tilting her head to one side and studying the young woman. She looked vaguely familiar, probably from the summit. "Nice to meet you. Are you the one running the Tera crystal experiment? If so," Aurelie went on, "just let me know where you'd like to start."

Looking at all the equipment laid out, she asked animatedly, "Tensile strength? Compressibility? Mineral hardness? Temperature testing?"

[attr="class","aurelie_tag"]

| Outfit (under PPE) | Mission: A Tera Test

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.aurelie]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#862939;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag]text-align:center;font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_tag a]font-size:12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,349 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 21:06:42 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]

A Tera Test

Whomever Nomi had been expecting, it wasn't the striking red-haired woman who entered the laboratory. She was not someone Nomi had ever seen before - at least, not in the labs. As soon as the woman spoke, however, her passion became apparent. Nomi was impressed when the woman listed off several of the types of testing she had intended to conduct. Whomever this woman was, she was scientifically-minded.[break][break]
Nomi smiled, pleased. "Nice to meet you, Aurelie. My name is Naomi Sato, but you can call me Nomi. Most folks do." Trillium made a happy sound behind her, as if introducing himself, as well. "This is Trillium. He's an important test subject today," Nomi nodded in his direction, then eyed Aurelie's Magneton. "Clever! A magnetic field will be an interesting variable to test against."[break][break]
Nomi walked over to Aurelie and held out the shard of Tera Crystal so that the other woman could clearly observe it. The mineral glittered with a fiery mix of bright golds and reds, like a living flame was dancing inside of the rock.[break][break]
"This is my Tera Crystal," Nomi explained, though that much was obvious. "It was recovered directly from 99943 Meteno. Perhaps you have read the reports from our expedition? If not, that's perfectly okay - the background is interesting, but not necessary for participating in today's experiments. Several Tera Crystals were acquired by Rocket, and they all seem to be slightly different - in color, but also in terms of the effects they have on both the environment and Pokémon."[break][break]
Nomi set the crystal down on the table, then turned back to Aurelie, smiling a little sheepishly.[break][break]
"I may have gone a little overboard with the equipment. In truth, the thing I am most curious about is whether or not our Pokémon will react the same to the crystal, or whether something different will happen. Trillium was there with me - when we first encountered the mineral vein - and I watched him...terastallize." Nomi tried out the new term, coined by both League and Rocket alike to describe the phenomenon they had witnessed on the surface of the meteor. "But what will happen to your Magneton? Shall we find out?"[break][break]
The young woman's crimson eyes - a color quite similar to Aurelie's brilliant hair - shone with an eager curiosity.

[break][break]

NOTES

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3title"]letter-spacing:.5px;text-transform:uppercase;font:800 16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:jutify;font:12px Poppins;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nomitest3 .nomitest3credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:10px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,024 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Jan 5, 2023 0:08:10 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]"Ooooh, it's beautiful," Aurelie breathed out, her single eye widening in wonder and her lips parting in unalloyed awe when Nomi displayed her Tera Crystal. Entranced by the scintillating play of red and gold hues within the crystal, she listened to Nomi's explanation in attentive silence, shaking her head slightly when Nomi asked if she'd read the Meteno 99943 expedition reports and nodding along at the description of the different crystals they'd recovered from the meteoroid.

When Nomi sheepishly admitted that she might have gotten too much equipment, Aurelie broke into a grin and vigorously shook her head. "When it comes to equipment, I don't think there's any such thing as going overboard," the red-haired smith declared, surveying the lab appreciatively. "The more resources you have available to you, the more you'll be able to find out about the crystal, right? And the more we learn about these crystals, the better—if only because knowledge is always worth having."

However, even after having said that, when Nomi suggested using the Tera Crystal to trigger a possible reaction from her Pokemon, Aurelie found herself hesitating. Knowledge was worth having, yes, but she honestly hadn't anticipated this request. She looked back and forth from Nomi's Togekiss to her Magneton for a moment, her brows furrowing in uncertainty.

"You want to test this on my Pokemon?" she repeated slowly, pressing her lips together. Glancing again at her quiescent Magneton, swathed in wires and solenoids, she said hesitantly, "I...well, I'm sure the crystal's effects—the terastallizing—clearly had no ill effects on your Pokemon, since they look well and unhamed. But...well..."

How to say that this hadn't been what Aurelie had thought she was signing up for, when she'd seen the call for volunteer assistants? She hadn't thought the volunteer's Pokemon would be offered up as test subjects, even for a phenomenon that was probably safe and possibly even beneficial. The red-haired smith was all for turning knobs and pushing buttons on machines, hitting metals and minerals with a hammer, watching things melt and deform inside a furnace, and running currents through things.

But her Pokemon? Wasn't there some kind of informed consent form for this sort of thing? Had she just missed this important detail when she'd signed up to assist? Aurelie admitted privately and grudgingly that she wouldn't put it past herself to not have noticed this in her eagerness to see the mysterious Tera Crystals up close.

Still, Aurelie couldn't shake the feeling that it was one thing to administer tests upon an inanimate substance and quite another to do so to a living creature like a Pokemon.

"I...well, I'm not sure," she faltered now, looking again at the Togekiss beside Nomi. "I'm all for helping with experimentation on the crystal itself, but my Pokemon..." She let the sentence trail off, smiling apologetically at Nomi but not wavering in her unease over the request.

"Have you tried replicating the, uh, terastallization process on other Pokemon before? Or would this be the first time you've asked to see what it does to other Pokemon besides your Togekiss?" she asked. "Can you describe to me what happens to your Pokemon during this process? What do you have to do to activate the process, and how many times have you tried it? Better yet, can you demonstrate the terastallization for me here and now?"

| Outfit (under PPE)

[newclass=.aurelie img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_lyrics]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:9px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#eee;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.aurelie_body]width:420px;padding:40px;background:#222;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:calibri;color:#aaa;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,349 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2023 3:57:14 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]

A Tera Test

Aurelie's sudden hesitance seemed strange to Nomi. Pokémon were hearty - sometimes dangerous - creatures, and the Rocket scientists often used them as test subjects. Was the other woman truly so unaware of what went on within Rocket's science division?[break][break]
Now, now, people can get quite attached to their Pokémon, remember? Nomi chided herself. She loved Valerian dearly, after all, and cared for the others, as well. Terastallization was a brand new phenomenon, it was logical for the inexperienced to feel uncertain about it. Aurelie's request to see it in action firsthand, with one of Nomi's Pokémon, was a perfectly reasonable request - even if it would prolong the overall experiment, given that Nomi already knew what happened when Trillium transformed.[break][break]
"Of course," Nomi acquiesced. "I would be happy to demonstrate what happens when this particular Tera Crystal interacts with Trill." She held out the crystal in front of the Togekiss, and - just like on the surface of Meteno, while facing off against its resident Deoxys - he began to glow a fiery red as the crystal itself flared with light. Trillium's entire body crystallized, all sharp angles and reflective surfaces, as if he were made of carnelian. Atop his head, a crown of rose quartz daisies formed, the pink-orange of a summer sunset over Slateport beach.[break][break]
"As you can see, he becomes...crystallized. The physiology of the Pokémon changes, though we are still testing how much of that change affects them internally versus externally. As far as we are aware, a Terastallized Pokémon still has flowing blood, normal organ activity, the same muscle mass, and so on - it is only the skin and fur that hardens into a gemstone state, like...armor. Fascinating, isn't it?" Nomi's voice clearly betrayed her excitement as she spoke. "But even more remarkable...the Pokémon's typing also changes. A Togekiss is a Normal type, but when Trillium Terastallizes, he becomes a Fire Type."[break][break]
"Go on and give us a small Tera Blast," she urged Trill. She pointed at a metal sink in the back of the lab room, indicating that he should aim there so as not to catch anything around them on fire. He nodded, then opened his mouth and conjured a modest burst of sparkling flame. It hit the metal sink with a loud impact, but left only a slightly scorched mark in its wake.[break][break]
"We call these Tera Blasts," Nomi explained. "A powerful new attack that a Pokémon seems to learn only once its type has been changed via Tera Crystal."[break][break]
As for Aurelie's other question...[break][break]
"Yes, I have attempted to test this Tera Crystal on my other Pokémon. It has no effect on any of them besides Trillium. But because my Pokémon are familiar with Trill, and because there may be other factors at work - a user bias of some sort, perhaps? - I am curious if the same would happen with someone else's Pokémon...a truly neutral party. Which, admittedly, is why I am curious to test it on your Magneton." She smiled somewhat apologetically at the other woman, hoping she might be able to better understand now.

[break][break]

NOTES

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,024 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 20:37:13 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Listening to the other woman's lecture and watching the Terastallization process on her Pokemon, Aurelie crossed her arms and nodded attentively. Privately, the red-haired smith concluded that in the future, she should do more research on any similar requests for lab assistants before showing up. Nomi seemed so taken aback by Aurelie's lack of knowledge and skepticism about Tera Orbs and Terastallizing her Pokemon, which led Aurelie to wonder if she should have anticipated it ahead of time, rather than assuming that the testing would be centered on the physical properties of the Tera Orb crystal itself.

"Thank you for explaining all of that at such length and in terms worthy of a five-year-old," she responded gravely, when Nomi was finished demonstrating the Terastallizing process and the effects of Tera Blasts. "I appreciate you simplifying the concepts so much. I believe I understand better now."

The transformation itself had been fascinating to watch, and the beauty of the Togekiss' altered form, which now looked as if it had been carved from sparkling crystal, was undeniable. It was interesting and rather odd to see the bouquet of crystalline daisies atop the Pokemon's head, though. Given that Nomi had said her Tera Orb changed its Tera type to Fire, Aurelie had rather expected a more fiery effect, like little flames or candles, rather than a daisy crown.

Her one-eyed gaze shifted back the Tera Orb that Nomi was still holding in front of her Togekiss and she tilted her head pensively to one side. She wondered if it was similar to the Mega Stones that also had a transformative effect on Pokemon. Those stones also seemed as though they would attune to only one Pokemon at a time, so it made sense that Tera Orbs would behave the same way. At the same time, though, these Tera Orbs came from outer space, on a meteoroid that could have come from far beyond their solar system or even galaxy. They couldn't simply assume it would be similar to anything from their own planet.

"All right, then go ahead and try your Tera Orb on my Magneton, whenever you are ready," Aurelie said politely. "From what you said about it not affecting any of your other Pokemon, I think it would be surprising if it did affect mine. But it's worth seeing if it does."

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,349 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2023 2:45:19 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]

A Tera Test

Nomi let out a small sigh of relief. She was glad she had neither bored Aurelie to death with her demonstration nor confused her further. It seemed that the other woman had fully understood Nomi's explanation of Terastallization, which was a testament to the fact that, simple terms or not, she was perfectly capable of grasping complex scientific concepts. Aurelie even seemed to be looking at Trillium with an appreciative eye, an artist admiring another's beautiful craft.[break][break]
Holding the Fire Tera Crystal in her hand, Nomi walked slowly over to Aurelie's Magneton. Then she paused. Pivoting, she turned towards Aurelie herself instead. She held out her hand, the overhead lab lighting causing the crystal to glitter suggestively at the red-haired woman, almost as if it were winking at her.[break][break]
"You should be the one to try it," Nomi said to her with a decisive tone. "After all, this is your Pokémon. And since you were interested enough to volunteer to help me, I ought to give you a chance to do some of the testing."[break][break]
She gave her fellow Rocket an encouraging smile.

[break][break]

NOTES

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,024 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2023 21:20:18 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]Testing a material is a learning process.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Aurelie nodded assent to Nomi's suggestion that she be the one to try out the Terastallization process on her own Pokemon. The red-haired smith took hold of the Tera Crystal somewhat gingerly from Nomi's hand, feeling as if someone had just offered her a priceless diamond. And in a way, these Tera Crystals were so rare and powerful that they probably would command a price above rubies or diamonds, if anyone were ever cavalier enough to sell them.

For a moment, she simply rolled the Tera Crystal in her hand for a moment. "This feels so normal," the red-haired smith remarked in a low, wondering tone. "I don't know why, but I was expecting it to feel warm, since it's a Fire-type crystal. But it doesn't feel warmer, or heavier, or particularly different from an ordinary crystal."

Trying to remember how Nomi had activated the transformation process on her own Togekiss, Aurelie held out the crystal in front of her Magneton. When Nomi had done it, the crystal had flared to life with an incandescent fiery glow and her Pokemon's body had taken on a jewel-like, faceted look. This time, in front of Aurelie's Pokemon, nothing happened.

"Huh," was all she could say at first. Moving her hand back and forth, Aurelie offered, chuckling a little, "Abracadabra? Open sesame? Hocus pocus? Please?"

Again, nothing happened. Her Magneton looked toward her benignly, its contours remaining metallic rather than gemstone-like, while the Tera Crystal sat inert in her palm. After waiting a minute or so just to be sure, Aurelie gave a shrug and handed the Tera Crystal back to Nomi.

"Looks like your initial hypothesis was correct," she said lightly, feeling relieved to have gotten the test over with without causing anything strange or unexpected to happen to her Magneton. "That Tera Crystal seems like it's attuned specifically to just your Pokemon and won't transform anyone else. It must have been interesting to test that out for the first time and see your Togekiss undergo that transformation, not knowing what was happening or what it might be doing to your Pokemon."

Then Aurelie clapped her hands together briskly, an eager smile spreading across her face. "Now, should we get started with learning more about the material properties of this Tera Crystal? I'm no gemologist, but I am familiar with some of the basic tests they run to identify and classify new or unfamiliar gemstones.

"We can easily test for qualities like transparency, refractive index, and specific gravity, without needing to run any destructive tests,"
she continued, pondering the Tera Crystal thoughtfully. "With something so rare and valuable—and probably impossible to replace–I imagine we'll be sticking to non-destructive testing methods and staying away from anything that might damage the Crystal. If you've got drill bits in different materials here, particularly diamond, we should be able to compare its relative hardness without damaging it."

Of course, it might be interesting to see whether it was even possible to damage or deform these crystals. What an extraordinary substance it would be, if it turned out to be indestructible! But given how difficult it had clearly been to obtain one of these Tera Crystals, Aurelie wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to take that risk. It wasn't like you could just buy another Tera Crystal at the store if you broke this one, after all.

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Nomi; The Visionary
She/Her
November 9
Ecruteak, Johto
Bisexual
Prophetess
Head Scientist
without you in it
5'2" / 157 cm height
5'2" / 157 cm height
awards
1,349 posts
Naomi Sato DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nomi
Naomi Sato
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON Mar 4, 2023 15:45:31 GMT
Naomi Sato Avatar
[nospaces]

A Tera Test

"As I suspected," Nomi murmured as the Tera Shard failed to attune to Aurelie's Magneton, confirming the other woman's verbal conclusion. "It did not react to any of my other Pokémon, and it seems that it will not react to anyone else's. It belongs to Trillium, and Trillium alone." She glanced at the Togekiss, who bobbed up and down in the air as if in agreement.[break][break]
"Thank you for testing that," Nomi said to Aurelie, pleased. "I know it may have seemed unnecessary, but a proper scientist never turns away an opportunity to gather additional data. I may even run the experiment with a few other volunteers and their Pokémon, just to be absolutely certain the Tera Shards are a one-and-done deal. So, you can rest assured that this little trial was not a waste." Not that she expected Aurelie to really think such a thing, but Nomi was not the type to pass up an opportunity to validate her logic.[break][break]
Aurelie's bubbly enthusiasm for the material testing was infectious, and Nomi couldn't help but feel bolstered by it, smiling back at the other woman as she shared her thoughts.[break][break]
"Non-destructive would be best, yes," Nomi affirmed. "We actually know from our experience on the surface of Meteno, that these Tera Shards are the remnants of a larger mineral vein that once existed as part of the meteor. As I am sure you've heard, Rayquaza - in a valiant effort to save the planet from destruction - broke apart that mineral vein...resulting in a "meteor shower" of Tera Shards all across the world. Their very origin proves that the material they are made of can, in fact, be broken - if not destroyed. So we will hold off on further "proving" that in our own trials, due to their rarity."[break][break]
However, the rest of Aurelie's suggestions were aligned with the sorts of tests Nomi wanted to run. Hardness, material compounds, reactions to various substances...they would test them all. For the next hour, Nomi directed Aurelie in several such experiments. Aurelie had a wealth of knowledge when it came to forging, so Nomi was quick to assign her to testing the reactions the crystals had to heat - flame, specifically. Together, they also measured hardness, transparency, refraction, gravity, and energy. Nomi lost herself in the work for a time, pleased to be working alongside someone who clearly had a passion for discovery - even if she, herself, was not necessarily a practicing scientist.

[break][break]

NOTES

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

dreamflower

she/her
December 12
Anistar City, Kalos
Bisexual
Blacksmith, bladesmith
Associate
Art is risk
Tempered by wisdom
5'7"/170 cm height
5'7"/170 cm height
awards
1,024 posts
part of
TAG WITH @aurelie
Aurelie Lefevre
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON May 2, 2023 2:47:02 GMT
Aurelie Lefevre Avatar
[attr="class","aurelie"]

[attr="class","aurelie_lyrics"]TESTING A MATERIAL IS A LEARNING PROCESS.
[attr="class","aurelie_body"]Still buoyed up by sheer relief that the Tera Crystal hadn't done anything unexpected or irreversible to her Magneton, Aurelie flashed a genuine smile in response to Nomi's thanks and reassurance that even the negative result hadn't gone to waste. Nomi had correctly guessed that Aurelie hadn't really worried about the value of the test results, given that she hadn't expected this test to happen in the first place. Perhaps she should have, though, instead of fixating so much on the materials testing aspect.

"I guess I should be thanking you for letting me actually see and even try to use one of those crystals," the red-haired smith replied jovially, her single uncovered eye straying toward the fiery stone. Her lips curling in a wry smile, she went on, "I doubt I'd ever have gotten a chance to play with one otherwise in a laboratory setting, considering that I'm not a scientist or high-ranking Rocket leader.

"So,"
she went on, "thank you for this opportunity. Let's make the most of it!"

Aurelie listened attentively as Nomi explained the origins of the Tera Shards, which had come from a large mineral vein within the great meteor that had portended so much danger—and yet so much opportunity—to Hoenn in general. She honestly wasn't sure if she remembered hearing that Rayquaza was the one who'd blown apart the meteor to avert wholesale catastrophe, but it certainly made sense. That image alone almost made her wish she'd been present to witness the meteor and mineral vein breaking apart—but also made her glad she hadn't been there, amidst all that chaos and conflict.

When Nomi finished her story and supported not using destructive tests on the Tera Crystal, Aurelie couldn't help murmuring, "That's fascinating! What an adventure that must have been."

Her gaze sharpening, she couldn't help but add, "At the same time, now that story almost makes me want to use destructive tests on the crystal. You're right to conclude that Rayquaza's rupturing the mineral vein means they certainly aren't indestructible. But at the same time, it took the power of a Legendary Pokemon to manage to break it!

"So, surely a mere tiny little diamond-tipped drill bit won't be nearly as powerful as that, right? Right?"
She tipped her head to one side and grinned, looking amused by her own logic. Then she held her hands up and added, conceding the point, "But you're right, we shouldn't chance it. It's not worth it just to satisfy my curiosity."

As they started the materials testing, Aurelie happily threw herself into the various experiments that Nomi was willing to run on the crystal. The crystal turned out to be remarkably impervious to heat and cold alike, yet it certainly responded to the presence of fire, seeming to glitter even more brightly than ever—perhaps somewhat understandably, given its connection to Fire types. They tested its hardness by scratching it upon other minerals with known hardness, ranging from talc to quartz to diamond, and were unsurprised to learn it was at least as hard as diamond. And Aurelie relished getting to use the Rocket lab's lasers and other specialized light beams to test the crystal's refractive index, transparency, dispersion, and fluorescence.

Most interestingly, the crystal turned out to be something of a semiconductor, demonstrating relatively high resistance to her Magneton's electrical currents at room temperature. As they heated up the Tera Crystal, though, it looked unchanged, yet its electrical conductivity increased rapidly to the level of copper wire. It also became more magnetic as its temperature increased, a development that made Aurelie's brow furrow in puzzled wonder.

"This is definitely an unusual substance," she mused, perhaps rather obviously to the clearly far more scientifically-minded Nomi. "It must contain some very exotic transition metals, to react like that! Truly fantastic."

At the end of their long and satisfying day of testing, they both stretched and yawned. Aurelie couldn't tell how Nomi felt, but she at least was both slightly worn out and deeply contented with their efforts. Pulling off her goggles with a sigh, she grinned and extended her hand once more for Nomi, this time for a handshake of farewell.

"It was good to meet you," she said forthrightly and laughingly to the pink-haired scientist, "and even better to encounter your Tera Crystal! This was definitely a fun time. If you ever run more experiments like these and need another pair of hands, keep me in mind."

Then the red-haired smith winked at Nomi and beckoned toward her in playful invitation. "But until then, let's grab some dinner together. What do you say? I'd love to hear more stories about what it was like being on that meteor..."

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,943 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Interstellar Inquiry [M]
POSTED ON May 2, 2023 4:25:56 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: