6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
PFL Playoffs: Mistralton @ Goldenrod [PUB][C/Elinor]
POSTED ON Dec 17, 2022 21:29:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After a hard evening's work coordinating rides home for dancers too tipsy to leave on their own, Josh deserved a break that weekend. The next evening, still dressed in his costume minus the sweaty helmet, he decided to make an evening with , checking out more of Slateport's bustling night life. He had made a reservation at the Ritual. Saber's black, painted stripes may have had blemishes in them after nearly a day and a half, but to him, the young Gym Leader was still riding the Beast of his dreams to his destination, the councilwoman presumably close behind.

While it wasn't a proper sports bar, there was a small section with a few flat screen televisions tuned to the PFL playoff game Josh had been waiting for. The money line for the Mistralton-Goldenrod game was dead even. With identical records both in their respective divisions and in the PFL as a whole, Goldenrod had been given home field advantage by virtue of winning a coin toss. And what an advantage it was: the Johtonian city was very cold this late inthe year. With light snowfall coating the field, balls would slip out of players' hands. Players would slip. It was inevitable. "Devlin, party of two, please," he greeted the restaurant's door-person.

1ST QTR 2:26
MIS 7
GOL 3
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: MIS 48

{WC: 211}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Verdanturf Ranger Captain
Single and Ready to Mingle
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2022 17:13:40 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

New Year's eve. To think it had already come around.

As all good citizens of Hoenn she would spend the occasion bar crawling. Her first stop was the RITUAL down at Slateport Lower District. Her partner for this crawl would be none other than Mauwille’s very own .

Clad in a neat black dress, hair fancied into a tail of sorts and mild make-up applied. She had decided to dress up for the occasion, but in a casual way that would surely make her fit in among the common folk.

She entered the Ritual. The heels she was wearing helped with her height, and a snazzy thin black shoulder bag slung over her shoulder, finishing the look.

As she walked into the warmth she noticed Josh talking with the place’s door-person.

“I see that I arrived just in time.” Elinor greeted Josh. Though she did not forget to grant the employee an acknowledging smile and greeting nod.

OOC: RITUAL Prompt for New Year's event

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2022 20:14:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Councilwoman certainly was dressed for the occasion; Josh's wear was much more casual, a simple black tee with constellation-like art of the three Johto Beasts and an Unown-R, -E, and -S next to them. "Sharp-dressed as always, I see. While I won't be getting a beer, you can never go wrong with bar food. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for."

Once their table for two was ready, staff led them to their table near the bar proper, Josh able to catch the start of the second quarter of the Unovan football game. "I'll take a lemonade, please," the Mauville Leader ordered from the bar as he started watching the game, his eyes shifting between that and Elinor. "I've been looking forward to the Mistralton-Goldenrod game all week. It should be realll good; both teams' quarterbacks have looked great all season long. This may surprise you, but I'm more of a Blackthorn fan than a Goldenrod fan, despite being from Goldenrod."

Nearby patrons erupted into two waves of loud cheering as both teams executed some heads-up plays: the first was Goldenrod running a fake field goal they were able to convert into a scoring drive. They followed the touchdown with a kick straight the uprights, giving them a 10-7 lead. "And this is why Goldenrod has the best Special Teams in the league. They've got one gutsy coach."

The second wave was from an equally heads-up play from Mistralton that Josh had to explain. "This is a little quirk in the rules. If the receiving team's first point of contact with the ball is while the player who makes contact is out of bounds, that makes it an out-of-bounds kick. A lot of players don't know the rule, but their receivers knew the rule." Josh paused to read the referee's announcement through the television's closed-captioning system:

"Kickoff out of bounds, number 12, kicking team. Mistralton will receive the ball at the 40 yard line."

Josh turned around to pick up his glass of lemonade and sip it. "So how have you been?" he asked Elinor. "Unfortunately, our battle is going to have to wait until Aslan goes through rehab. Meteno did a real number on him. His surgeries were a success, but he's going to have to go through two months of rehab."

2ND QTR 13:10
MIS 7
GOL 10
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: MIS 40

{WC: 322}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 9:56:15 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

“Thank you. Figured I ought to put in a bit of effort tonight.” A small white lie, it had taken her almost no effort to pick the outfit. It was just rarely the case that she figured a dress was better than a suit. But tonight was the night.

They were shown to their seats. Josh ordered a lemonade, while he might’ve been abstaining from alcoholic beverages, she was not to have any such inclinations. “I would like to try the Old Fashioned.” Elinor said. The supposed signature cocktail of this place had gotten some rather decent reviews from what a quick web search told her, but now was the time to see if they spoke the truth.

With the drinks ordered, she finally noticed the big screen currently entertaining the masses.

Josh began to speak enthusiastically about the game. And Elinor listened. It seemed he was really into this sport, she was still undecided. But that didn’t stop her from attentively listening as Josh explained the intricacies of the game or at least trying to, but it seemed fans of either team were prone to erupting into waves of loud cheering.

Their excitement was contagious, even if she wasn’t a part of it she felt how it made her cheerier. And as she did, she felt grateful for Josh, for having met him this year. For him being her small mirror into a more positive world, compared to her own bleak doom and gloom world.

But there was still bleakness to be found in Josh.

Mild worry found its way onto Elinor’s face as he informed her of Aslan’s condition. “I see. Well, don’t worry about it. Our battle can wait for as long as it takes for Aslan to do a full recovery. I am just happy to hear that Aslan came out of that whole ordeal alive.” unlike so many others, she didn’t even know if Josh had lost any Pokémon to Kyurem.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 17:56:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was unsure if he had told Elinor, but he had made two vows when he came of age: at 18, he would never smoke, and at 21, he would never drink. He sifted through the beer menu, stopping at the Old Fashioned to feign interest before coming clean. "It looks like it's got good taste to it, but I don't drink. After all, doesn't the saying go, 'Don't drink and ride'? It's not only hazardous, but it's disrespectful to your Pokémon." After all, he may have to be Elinor's Designated Rider. Being a passenger on a Pokémon while intoxicated wasn't an issue, as long as whoever was at the reins was sober.

"That wasn't my only loss, though," Josh continued, pulling out a small shard of ABSOLITE. "This is all that's left of Twilight's Mega Stone. The rest of it is buried in ice. and helped me locate a new one, but it's in a really dangerous place. Going there to get a replacement is not going to be fun. But it has to be done. With how many Rocket Avatars there are, only Mega Evolution, Z-Power, and Terstallization can hope to contend with them. Primal Energy must be met with Primal Energy, after all."

His attention quickly turned back to the game as another roar came from several patrons behind him. "Yoooooo! Daniels with the pick six!" A 76-yard interception return for a touchdown gave Goldenrod a comfortable lead, and there were no penalty flags in sight. Despite an unsuccessful attempt at a two-point conversion, a nine-point lead meant that it was still a two-possession game. Goldenrod was on point defensively, two solid stops setting up 3rd down and short for Mistralton far into their own territory. A third well-placed tackle would force Mistralton to kick the football away and leave Goldenrod with great field position. "Boy, Goldenrod just looks unstoppable tonight!"

2ND QTR 8:01
MIS 7
GOL 16
3rd DOWN & 2
BALL: MIS 24

{WC: 318}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 18:37:02 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Elinor gave Josh a nod. She wouldn’t question his choice of sobriety. She knew it was not an easy choice to make.

And it wasn’t one she was about to make as she made sure to acquire the famed Old Fashioned.

Anyhow, their topic of the Meteno incident continued. Josh regaled her with the story of a broken Absolite.

A tension began to build up in her face, just in time to be relieved as her drink was placed in front of her. She took a sip and allowed the Alcohol to do its thing. “I am sorry to hear that. If you need my help going there, I would be more than happy to do so.”

Of course that didn’t take into account any scheduling conflicts.

Elinor’s gaze returned to the game as she tried to make heads or tails of it. “Well, I will take your word on that.” She snickered and took another sip, while anticipating the sure to come tsunami of game-information.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 16:44:33 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh smiled as he heard the Councilwoman's offer. "I'd love for you to tag along, but I have a couple of my other friends lined up for the trip already. You're absolutely on in case something comes up, though!" On a regional map, he showed him the location the planned trip was at as the two-minute warning sounded, Mistralton having kicked another long field goal earlier in the second quarter and setting up a drive that could potentially give them the lead if Goldenrod's defensive line wasn't on point.

He pointed to a small island north of Route 121 known as the Watery Grave. It was a grim island dedicated to Hoennians who perished in shipwrecks. Beneath it was an underground cave network, some of which extended beneath Lake Pyre's surface. "It's almost certainly going to require Pokémon that can dive. But I would do just about anything to make sure Twilight can fight at her full power. Not just for the Champion Assessment. But to do my part in making sure we can raze Rocket to the ground."

Josh took several more swigs of his lemonade, watching Mistralton's quarterback complete a huge pass downfield. This completely changed the dynamic of the half. Mistralton was almost assuredly getting points. The question is whether it would be three or seven. "De-fense! De-fense!" Josh chanted, starting a reverberation among football fans also rooting for the Johto team. He was certain a similar chant was going on at the distant football stadium. Ultimately, the Goldenrod team was able to hold off Mistralton's offensive line long enough for them to force another field goal as time expired in the half. "Mistralton's gonna have the ball starting the second half, but this is quite a game!" After that, their server had returned to take their order. "Any idea what you're having?" Josh asked Elinor.

HALFTIME
MIS 13
GOL 16

{WC: 310}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 19:40:15 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Elinor figured as much. It seemed Josh had planned this through already. At least it seemed so, as Josh showed her the regional map.

“That sounds like it could be dangerous.” Diving was not a trivial matter. “I am sure I don't have to say this. But do be careful.”

Elinor swigged alongside Josh. Though her beverage was alcoholic.

Her swig was a bit longer than Josh, and so by the time her glass returned to the table. She heard the man chant something about defense. Her gaze turned to the screen and well. It seemed Mistralton was doing some work. Much to the dismay of all the Goldenrod fans here.

She gave Josh a nod as he commented on the game. His enthusiasm about it was contagious, even to a non-fan like her.

But then the server came to take their order. “Honestly. No idea." She seemed thoughtful for a moment before she spoke "Actually, Josh. You can have the honors. Surprise me with something.” Elinor spoke rather casually. Perhaps the alcohol was starting to ease her a bit?

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 9:34:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Any underwater expedition would be by its very nature dangerous. One of Josh's strengths as a Ranger was his planning. He had accounted for all sort of common and even uncommon scenarios that could come up. That didn't reduce the danger any, though; that Josh would likely be riding his Dragonair, Lanturn, or other water Pokémon through cold, underwater tunnels that never saw the light of day. "You can't get much better than a Lanturn for that kind of environment. Illumina is reliable, even if I don't get to use her often."

Josh fumbled through the restaurant's dinner menu one more time. He had been having steakburgers all weekend. They were good, but that was going to be a lot of pounds he would have to work off next month. Another, similar menu item caught his mind. "So this Ritual Raven combo," he asked the server, "so this is like a turkey burger instead of a beef burger?" He got confirmation that it was indeed a turkey burger drenched in barbecue sauce with his choice of cheese melted on top. "Works for me. I'll have one of those, steak fries as my side. Elinor, you want my cole slaw? I'm not going to have it."

Once the two had ordered, Josh's attention turned back to the game. The entire third quarter had been quiet, with both defenses playing extraordinarily well. Both teams' quarterbacks played like those on college teams, trading field goals until late in the third quarter, when a messy play changed all prospects for Mistralton's drive that was in jeopardy. "Flags everywhere..." Josh remarked as the play was reviewed from several different angles while the officials deliberated among themselves as well as Mistralton's head coach. When the were done, the head official came onto the field.

"There are three fouls on the play, all by the defense. Holding, defense number 59. That penalty is declined. Holding, defense number 82. That penalty is declined. Personal foul, face mask, number 82. That penalty is accepted. It will be 15 yards from the spot of the foul, automatic first down."

Josh grumbled, along with many other fans. The face mask penalty was warranted, but still disappointing. "You can't grab the face mask. It's a player safety issue, and comes with a big penalty. With these players running and tackling each other for an hour, you have to make sure they're protected. And you just can't grab a player's face mask like that. This penalty is going to cost us points."

3rd QTR 4:50
MIS 16
GOL 19
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: GOL 21

{WC: 420}
{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2023 20:19:04 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Elinor gave a reassuring nod. A Lanturn was a good choice for an underwater expedition. But besides that there was little to be said on the matter.

Before long they found themselves ordering food. Josh went for a Ritual Raven Combo, which honestly sounded rather exciting. She ordered the same, though she could not help but chuckle as Josh asked if she was cole slaw inclined.

“Sure, if you aren’t going to eat it.” Would be be a shame to let it go to waste.

With food ordered and underwater expeditions covered. Their focus returned to the game on the screen once again.

“That makes sense.” Elinor remarked as Josh explained to her the whole debacle with the foul. “Must be incredibly hard to run around with all that gear on.” Elinor turned her gaze to Josh. “Have you ever tried playing that?” She gestured for the screen.

She couldn’t recall Josh having mentioned it before.

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 7:38:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Elinor's concern for the players on the field was warranted; after all, they wore all kinds of protective gear beneath their jerseys. "It's honestly harder handling the football and the big hits. Players are protected as much as reasonably possible." He paused to recall his younger years. "I played flag football in school a little bit, but not tackle football like in the pros." He let out a whoop when he saw Goldenrod's defense hold Mistralton's offensive line to a field goal, tying the game up with the end of the third quarter to come. This was turning into far more of a nail biter than Josh expected to be. With how busy the place was in the heat of the important playoff game, he anticipated their meal might take a while. Therefore, he started to share a story with Elinor.

"Oh, right! I forgot to tell you I finally got to meet with the Top Champion and talk to him after my Battle Arcade run. It isn't in the way I wanted to, but I got to live my dream!" Josh smile grew, particularly focused on recounting details from his encounter as the game went to a commercial break following a costly holding penalty that left Goldenrod deep in their own territory, all the way back at their 10 yard line. "It was nothing short of unforgettable."

3rd QTR 1:01
MIS 19
GOL 19
1st DOWN & 20
BALL: GOL 10

{WC: 228}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 20:24:46 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Elinor gave a nod. Protection was important, but there was only so much there could be done before it would hamper the players too much. But that aside. She looked rather surprised at Josh. She hadn’t taken him for a football kind of guy, even if it was flag football.

If Elinor hadn’t already been surprised, then it certainly would have been painted on her face now. But that did not prevent her from listening attentively to Josh regaling her with the tale of meeting and his entourage of legendary beasts, well two in particular.

“Well, I must say Josh. When I first met you. I’d never have thought it would take less than a year for you to live your dream!.” Elinor said.

“I am a bit jealous.” The jesting was clear in the tone of her voice. But the words were true.

And yet she felt a certain gratitude in the purity of Josh and the speed in which he got to live his dream. Perhaps it gave her hope that her own dreams might one day be fulfilled?

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2023 0:22:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh, losing track of what was going on in the football game, gushed to Elinor about his experience riding Raikou, emphasizing not just how exciting it was, but how humbling it was being paralyzed for the entire duration of the Beast's EXTREME SPEED. He even went as far to share the mind-blowing top speed Raikou reached during the sprint. For one whose only experience racing Pokémon was with a Steelix, it may have been difficult for Elinor to wrap her head around just how fast Raikou was.

"It's not quite over yet," Josh interjected. "I would say I've lived enough of my dream to be satisfied if the rest of it doesn't come to fruition. I got to meet and even ride Raikou. But I still want to befriend Raikou, and not just for myself. For the League." He closed his eyes and collected his thoughts. "History is on my side, though; and are both on AQUA. They were both Mauville Gym Leaders. But with the only Raikou I knew not having survived the Kanto war, I just can't chase something that might not exist. Maybe he's out there. Maybe there's another Raikou that roams Hoenn. But until I have a lead, my time is better spent in service to the League in other ways."

His discussion had gone on so long that their food had come, and the football game was in a critical state. Mistralton had the lead, and Goldenrod realistically had only one possession left, returning a kickoff to around the middle of their own territory just as the two-minute warning sounded. "A field goal sends this to overtime, and a touchdown wins it for Goldenrod. LET'S GO GOLDENROD!" he shouted, clapping his hands to try to start a cheer.

4th QTR 2:00
MIS 22
GOL 19
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: GOL 32

{WC: 296}
{PC: 7}
close tab

played by

Senpai

Eli
She/Her
May 10
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Ranger
Available
170 CM height
170 CM height
awards
1,601 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elinor
Elinor Anderson
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2023 13:55:24 GMT
Elinor Anderson Avatar

Their conversation continued. Elinor listened thoughtfully, and should Josh be perceptive he might notice how her smile widened when he mentioned that he wasn’t doing this solely for himself, but for the League as well.

And as he continued she hoped that he was right, that one day Raikou, whether it be Hoenns or one from a third region, would come to him, befriend him, perhaps even grant him Avatarship. The League could certainly use such a pure hearted asset.

“True, without a lead well, it’d be impossible.” The struggle was too relatable. She’d been searching far and wide for just singular leads for even the weakest of Legendary Pokémon. From visiting Raikou dedicated shrines, to reading reports of previous sightings of unknown Pokémon and what not. Sometimes she even wondered if they knowingly hid from her.

And so in all her pondering and conversing with Josh, their food arrived. Elinor began to eat as Josh’s attention returned to the game. All too eager to explain what was going on and cheering on his favorite team.

She quickly realized that he was trying to start a cheer and so joined him by saying “Go Goldenrod!” Perhaps not the most convincing, but surely it wouldn’t matter for the fans, right?

MADE BY MIZO
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2023 5:13:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The discussion ceased for a moment as Josh took the first bite out of his steakburger, cooked to perfection. "There is no shortage of good food in Hoenn, is there?" he rhetorically asked as Goldenrod's offensive line marched down the field with short passing play after short passing play, keeping their drive alive against Mistralton. It was extremely important for Goldenrod to get out of bounds on every play, as they had no more timeouts, and every second mattered.

"It's something I'm dreadfully aware of," Josh concurred with Elinor. "I've been searching for Raikou since I was twelve years old. And now, I've been on Hoenn's front lines a number of times. The number of Rocket Avatars out there is scary, and any one of them is more than capable of taking hundreds of lives. That's why... it's not just because I want to ride him again. It's not just for my family. It's for the people of Johto, and the people of Hoenn. That's why it's paramount that the moment I hear of a lead, I get back in the saddle. But for now, I feel the best way I can get closer to that goal is to become a Champion."

Josh suddenly hissed as on a critical 3rd-and-short, pressure from Mistralton's defensive line caught Goldenrod's quarterback from behind. There were less than twenty seconds in the game. "Hurry, Goldenrod! Get the kicker out there!" The team managed to get in formation, the long snapper getting the ball to the holder with just two seconds left on the game clock. The kick was up... and through. Another uproar echoed around the restaurant, Josh stuffing a steak fry into his mouth before triumphantly shouting, "We've got bonus football!"

END OF REGULATION
MIS 22
GOL 22

{WC: 288}
{PC: 8}