6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Cyclizar Racing [M][C/Ned]
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2022 16:53:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The sound of squealing tires disturbed Mauville City Gym's normal ambiance of fins, paws, and hooves pounding against the sprawling property's many land and water courses. That could have meant only one thing: the Paldean Cyclizar Racing League had arrived. A species unlike anything Josh had seen before, it was a ride Pokémon that needed neither saddle nor bit and bridle; if anything, his normal gear would be a hindrance to the gentle dragon-type. As such, Goroh was one of the Leader's only Pokémon he would be riding bareback.

They were extremely fast, too; whether bounding across the track like a traditional mount or gliding across it on their wheel-like appendages, they could compete with some of the Leader's quickest Pokémon. Though his Gym was closed to challengers for the holidays, he did leave the League establishment open, both for the public to use his myriad of race tracks and for his employees to get caught up on year-end reports the League required his Gym to submit, due to the nature of his non-traditional challenge. While there were a few other Pokémon species out there, it was almost all Cyclizar today. That included Goroh, the Cyclizar Josh had captured shortly after the species came to Hoenn. The Leader gently pet the dragon on the snout, waiting for the current heat to end so he could join in on the next one.

{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Goroh          Cyclizar        Good
close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2022 17:30:43 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

The biting cold of the north wind stabbed through Mauville City like a sword. It was that time of year again, when everyone gathered with their family and friends to celebrate the holidays and bring in the new year with big smiles. For Ned, it was a bitter inundation of loneliness. The season itself had become a dark reminder of everything he had lost. He was finding himself more prone to weakness, and staying sober was becoming near-impossible. His recent acquaintance gym leader Josh Devlin had become his only ally, but at least he was always willing to get together and kill time - even when Ned was at his lowest.[break]
[break]
He sighed in relief as he stepped inside, and the warm air of the gym washed over him. He was midly annoyed to learn that it was closed to challengers for the time being, but spending the evening with Josh was better than his usual modus operandi of killing a six pack by himself in a motel room while his pokémon spar each other in the parking lot until someone calls the cops. All things considered, he would be hard-pressed to tell himself that he would not benefit from building up his social network.[break]
[break]
"Hey," he said to the league staffer. "Where's the leader at? I heard he's got some new dragon-type from a distant land, or something like that."[break]
[break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]Ned Clark

[newclass=.blboxfl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#COLORGOESHERE;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 25, 2022 21:11:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The League staffer, ANDREW WEISS, was the one to answer 's call. "Good morning and welcome to Mauville Racing Grounds! The Leader is in the back, but he is not taking any more challenges through the rest of the year. Lemme look you up." It would not be difficult for the experienced scheduler. He had been on Josh's Gym staff since it opened in the Minor League. "Mr. Clark? Right this way. I do want to warn you that the Leader is seeing a large party at this time, so he may be busy."

Provided Ned followed Andrew's directions, he would find Josh petting Goroh, his Cyclizar, on the snout, the sound of squealing Cyclizar wheels against course pavement audible from well behind him. "Oh, Ned!" Josh greeted his friend with a bit of surprise. "Wasn't expecting you here! Sure is a blustery one today. It would be a nice fall day by Johtonian standards. We don't really get winter weather anywhere in Hoenn except for around Mossdeep and Shoal Island. How you been?"

{WC: 174}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2022 15:07:38 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

"I've been alright," Ned lied. "Y'know, can't complain."[break]
[break]
It had been a very long time since he had answered a question like that honestly, but it was hard not to recipricate Josh's upbeat attitude. He reminded Ned of how he had been in the old days. And yet, Josh had undoubtedly seen plenty of horrors inflicted by Team Rocket in his own time. Truly, Ned envied him. He could only hope that he would eventually overcome his demons, and once again commit himself to greatness rather than revenge.[break]
[break]
"Here, let me show you something," he continued as he reached for his belt and detached a pokéball from the magnetic strip. He called out his garchomp, Gobi. The creature kneeled down on all fours as he climbed onto its back.[break]
[break]
"I've been practicing. Well, we've been practicing, I should say. So, now I've got a dragon-type mount to match that new one you've been training."[break]
[break]

[newclass=.blboxfl .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b; border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; ransition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 2:09:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was impressed with how far Ned had come as a trainer. Garchomp were one of the most aggressive dragon species out there. Not as aggressive as Hydreigon were, but taming one, let alone riding one, was a strong showing in his eyes. "Make sure you have earplugs or headphones in when you're riding your Garchomp," Josh suggested, speaking from experience. "The thrusters on his ears get really loud when he's flying. I would give you some pointers for flying, but now's not the time."

The Leader gestured toward his Cyclizar, Goroh, then hopped on the Paldean dragon. It felt weird to him being atop a Pokémon that had no saddle or bridle, yet felt completely natural to be on. "This is--" he was interrupted by a squealing noise once again, his head tilting toward its source. It sounded like someone had to pump the metaphorical brakes to avoid an accident. "--Goroh," he introduced the dragon-type after giving her a gentle pat. "I'm not trying to ignore you, but I'm just keeping an eye out on the Paldean Cyclizar Racing League. Supposedly they're in talks to merge with Hoenn's own Pokémon racing league for the 2023 season."

{WC: 199}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 5:23:14 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

"Paldea, huh?" Ned thought for a moment. "That's a long ways away. I suppose that's where your cyclizar came from."
[break]
[break]
He scanned over Josh as he mounted his new pokémon. The beast was very green - both literally and figuratively. Gobi was too, as far as racing was concerned, but he was fast and his reflexes were sharp. Ned had seen his garchomp had fell even the most ferocious opponents, delivering fatal blows in the blink of an eye. He was an apex predator, and second to nothing else. Gobi was not only Ned's fastest pokémon, but also the only one he owned capable of flight. He initially dismissed the idea of mounting pokémon as childish recreation, but having seen it employed to such great effect in the Hoenn region, he had come to realize its potential combat advantages. A good trainer needed to be as strong and fit as his pokémon, after all. And only a coward would choose to stand back and shout battle commands while others willingly put themselves in the fray.
[break]
[break]
"So, what do you say? I'd love to challenge you to a battle, but I'll save that for the day I come for your badge. So today I suppose we'll just have to see who's the fastest."
[break]
[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 7:24:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"That's...a simple way to put it, but not quite true," Josh answered. "It's a lot more complicated than that." The way Paldean Pokémon entered Hoenn was, of course, much more complicated. They entered primarily through the rifts the PRIMAL POINTS opened up. He went on to explain the aftermath of the operation of 99943 METENO and how the Terastal phenomenon started showing up in Hoenn. "That's how Goroh got here. Very little is known about Paldean species at this point, but I'm helping by catching ones that look like they'd be good at racing and letting League scientists study them." He didn't namedrop , but she would get the first crack at any new species that were caught.

Not too long after Ned challenged Josh to a race, several Cyclizar and their trainers whizzed past at high speed, doubling back and stopping near him to report the results of their heat. "Thanks. I'll get this entered right away." One of the Leader's responsibilities for his event was being scorekeeper. After entering the results of the heat, updated standings were displayed on the leaderboard. He turned back toward Ned. "We could sign up for the next heat together! I'm assuming you have a Cyclizar of your own?"

{WC: 208}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 27, 2022 13:06:24 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Ned remembered the time distortion event as Josh described the phenomenon that had apparently been transporting pokémon across the globe. "It's not just time," he thought. "It's space too..." He wondered for a moment if Team Rocket had anything to do with it. What legendary creature could they be abusing now that would have such an effect on the world?
[break]
[break]
He bit his lip at Josh's assumption. "I'm afraid not. If I need to use a cyclizar, then you'll need to provide one for me. Otherwise, Gobi is happy to take on anything you can throw at him."
[break]
[break]
Ned scanned over the Paldean mounts. Certainly, they had been trained for speed, but none of them had the ferocity of a pokémon trained to fight. Contrastingly, they looked as if they had been tempered to have a more friendly disposition. His garchomp was a monster compared to them, but in terms of speed, he could not confidently say that he would best the competition.
[break]
[break]
"I guess it depends what you want to accomplish. If you want to clash your new pokémon against other species, then I'll use Gobi. But if you just want to give the cyclizar some practice, then I guess I'll have to teach myself how to mount one."
[break]
[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2022 16:08:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While not an unexpected problem, Ned wanting to race with his Garchomp was still a problem. Josh wasn't going to say no to the young man that may have been a mentor to him, but it would not have been fair to the Cyclizar trainers. One, Garchomp were much faster than Cyclizar, and two, they were much louder. Having a Garchomp himself, Josh knew how loud their bio-thrusters got. "I won't be able to count you or your Garchomp in the standings, but I don't see why you can't unofficially race alongside us." Josh felt a shrug from Goroh. "It's okay," he gently pat his new Pokémon. "You'll get your chance!"

Provided Ned would agree to the condition, Josh would lead the duo to the starting position for the SURFACE SLIDE course the racing league was using for their heats. Goroh and eight other Cyclizar were lined up behind the land course's starting arch, though it would be trivial for a flying Pokémon to stay within the course's bounds. "Normally, during Pokémon races, using a move that makes your Pokémon go faster isn't allowed during the first lap. But because this is only going to be one lap instead of three, they'll be allowed from the start," the Leader explained. "And of course, you'll need to either have your Garchomp run instead of fly, or hover just above the course. No cutting corners just because you can fly!" he teased.

INSTRUCTIONS

You will have 8 ranks to distribute among three skills. No more than 5 ranks can be assigned to any one skill.
  • SPEED: This represents how fast your Pokémon can travel. Each rank of Speed adds 10 to all your rolls.
  • ENDURANCE: This represents how well a Pokémon can navigate difficult terrain, and affects how often a Pokémon can use its Boost during a race. Due to the abbreviated nature of this race, a Pokémon can use its Boost a number of times equal to half its ranks in Endurance, rounded down. Each rank of Endurance reduces the Target Number of Endurance-based Obstacles by 20.
  • REACTION: This represents a Pokémon’s cornering ability. Each rank of Reaction reduces the Target Number of Reaction-based Obstacles by 20.

In the OOC notes of your next post, please note your Pokémon's distribution of skills.

You do not need to roll after your next post, but you will need to [ roll ] twice at the end of every post mid-challenge. This roll will be modified according to your Pokémon's skill ranks.

Example: If a player rolls a 60 on a post involving running down a straightaway as fast as possible atop a Pokémon with four ranks in Speed, their effective roll will be 100.

The Leader's next post will include a "mod post" that depicts the course's first Obstacle: a prompt that presents a challenge for the racers to overcome. Each Obstacle will include the following information:

Target Number: This is the number the racers need to roll at or above to overcome the Obstacle without penalty. While it is uncommon, an Obstacle can have multiple Target Numbers.

Intended Skill: This is the Skill that will apply to the Obstacle. It can be Speed, Endurance, or Reaction.

Example Obstacle: The track starts out with a bang--a sharp, 135-degree left turn mere tens of meters from the starting line. The width of the turn itself makes recovering from a misjudged angle easier, but the track quickly narrows up again afterward. A guardrail on the outside keeps Pokémon from sliding off the course, but there is no such guardrail on the inside, and there’s a shallow stream that looks time-consuming for non-Water Pokémon to climb out of!

Target Number: 85 (Reaction)
After the players make their rolls, the Target Number is deducted from the player's roll, and the difference becomes the player's Track Points (TP) for the round. 100 TP corresponds to roughly one second of time differential. The race will consist of one lap with three Obstacles. After the third Obstacle, total Track Points will determine finishing order.

{WC: 244}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 29, 2022 16:06:04 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

Ned shrugged. "It makes no difference to me."
[break]
[break]
Much as he appreciated the value of mounting pokémon, Ned had no interest in friendly competition. While he admired Josh's commitment to the sport, the only real value he could identify was its application in combat. His goals left no room for fun and games. But he could see the apprehension in Josh's face, and indeed some of the cyclizars looked like skitties compared to Gobi. Undoubtedly, they were no match, but Ned had come to train with his own partner. Racing with anyone else's would be a waste of time.
[break]
[break]
"Don't worry - he'll be a good boy." Ned reached out and patted his garchomp on the back of the head. "He's always had a good temperament, at least as far as dragon pokémon go. So if it's alright with your people, then
I guess we can go ahead and line up at the track."

[break]
[break]

SPEED: 5[break]
ENDURANCE: 1[break]
REACTION: 2[break]
[break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2022 8:36:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar

MAUVILLE CITY | Surface Slide | Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆☆

[player]https://fi.zophar.net/soundfiles/nintendo-gamecube-gcn/f-zero-gx/220%20-%20Long%20Pre-View%20%28Course%20View%202%29.mp3[/player]

Ten racers lined up behind the starting arch of the SURFACE SLIDE course. Though it was a low difficulty course by Racing Federation standards (even challengers with zero badges could be assigned this course to race the Leader on!) it had its fair share of switchbacks, narrow stretches, and long turns. The Paldeans looked nervous to see a Pokémon as fast as Garchomp line up next to them. "I assure you, Ned here will be participating in this heat unofficially. His placement will have no effect on the standings. He will also not interfere with other racers." Half the participants nodded and half looked nervous still, feeling that even if it was unofficial, the Garchomp's presence in the race would cause the Cyclizar all kinds of problems. "Ned is aware, as well."

With some reluctance, the rest of the Paldeans agreed to Josh's conditions. A myriad of Cyclizar cries, including Goroh's, echoed across Sector 2 of the Racing Grounds as three stills of the legendary Pokémon Raikou, depicted in a sprint, appeared on the arch's monitor, superimposed over the text "GET READY". The images disappeared one after another, counting down the start of the race. Each was accompanied by a loud, low-pitched squawk as an aural alert. When the final image vanished, the text changed to "GO", all the Cyclizar entering a rough gallop to get up to speed enough that their wheels could take over.

INSTRUCTIONS

After each posting round, a prompt describing the upcoming section of the track will be posted. You will react to the prompt, then [ roll ] twice. The Leader's rolls will be capped at 140 before modifiers are applied, and the NPC Cyclizar racers' rolls will be capped at 120 before modifiers are applied.

OBSTACLE 1

The course starts out with a lazy U-turn over a wide angle. It's not sharp, but Pokémon with poor handling capabilities would have difficulty holding the long, uphill turn. The difficult part of the opening was below; about fifty feet down was the next part of the track, and it had a very narrow landing zone. There was only room for about three Pokémon to run alongside each other at the bottom.

Target Number: 105 (Reaction)

Special: Missing the Target Number by more than 30 will instead result in a flat -150 TP penalty from the racer landing out of bounds and suffering an OFF COURSE penalty.

{WC: 238}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2022 18:04:34 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

The display flashed "GO!" and with that, the racers were off. Ned quickly realized that he had dramatically underestimated the competition. The cyclizars turned out to be much faster than he imagined. It was better this way, he thought. Gobi could use some motivation.
[break]
[break]
A few of the other racers began to surpass Ned as his garchomp began to slow at the first U-turn.
[break]
[break]
"No, no!" he called out to his pokémon. "Don't slow down!"
[break]
[break]
Gobi growled in response, heightening his pace once more. They were heading up a slope now, and Ned could tell that his partner was giving it his all.
[break]
[break]
"Much better, buddy! Let's show these beasts of Paldea what you can do!"
[break]
[break]
Other racers continued to gain advantage as Ned reached the top of the incline. The cyclizars were much better practiced, and many of them seemed to outmatch Gobi in raw speed alone. But Ned's garchomp had one advantage: flight. It may not have been very sportsmanlike, but Ned was there to practice for the real world - not to waste time in some silly competition.
[break]
[break]
"Now Gobi!"
[break]
[break]
Ned's heartrate increased as they jumped from the ledge. They gained some air, then began to sail downward as the trainer directed his dragon to descend. The rushing air whipped Ned's hair back while his guts went into freefall. Frivolous as it may have been, he could see why all these trainers were so dedicated to the sport.
[break]
[break]

ROLL 1: 5YC0Db6k[break]
ROLL 2: [break]
[break]
[break]

[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2022 5:56:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
[player]https://fi.zophar.net/soundfiles/nintendo-gamecube-gcn/f-zero-gx/221a%20-%208%20Guitars%20%28Sand%20Ocean%29.mp3[/player]
THEME SONG: 8 Guitars - F-ZERO GX ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

The sound of screeching tires filled the air around the Racing Grounds, though the lack of spectators made the atmosphere feel much less electric than the Gym Leader was used to. The roar of Garchomp bio-engines was a sound that proved difficult for the relatively quiet racing species that was Cyclizar, making it difficult for several of them to focus on staying as close to the inside line as possible. While Josh couldn't see it, even Goroh was squinting as Josh steered her around the opening curves. He had hoped Ned brought earplugs, because that shrill roar was only going to get louder as Gobi got faster and faster!

Josh flinched when he felt Goroh's whirling wheels hit the ground with a squeal, their momentum yanking him back in the Cyclizar's natural seat. It didn't have as steep of a curve as his Pokémon's racing saddles did, making him rely on his own strength more than he was used to. He let out a grunt as he attempted to pull himself into a more comfortable position aboard the friendly, common dragon-type, yet not with so much for to induce the Pokémon into a wheelie. While wheelies were great tools for going incredibly fast (after all, he would soon find out that's exactly how Goroh used her QUICK ATTACK), the long curve was not the place for it.

{WC: 229}
{PC: 7}

ERb0m0js

The Cyclizar, powered by bulging leg muscles followed by the immense torque of their wheels, had amazing acceleration, catching the Master of Faster off guard when Goroh darted off the line. He could tell the maintenance crew did great work in preparing Surface Slide for the Paldeans, as the ride was buttery smooth. While Josh was able to pull himself back into a hunched position needed to minimize drag, it was far too late; a sudden swerve needed to avoid scraping the course's outer wall caused a collision between Goroh and a young Paldean exchange student aboard an orange-scarved Cyclizar. Josh's racing experience let him barely recover just in time for the big drop. The teen wasn't so lucky, his mount landing on its back wheel and capsizing out of bounds.

And then there were nine.

Ned and his Garchomp knew what they were doing, too. Knowing there was a large drop coming, the dragon was running across the opening turn rather than expending lots of energy getting into the air with what would be a rising runway. Not designed to travel at high speeds on foot, this caused the duo to quickly fall to last place. He would see the carnage between Josh and the orange-scarved dragon before ultimately passing them, leaping off the ledge, and using the drop-off to take flight. Gobi's bio-engines continued to spool up, sending him rocketing past one Paldean after another. While he was still back in sixth place after the narrow landing zone widened, his mount was still far from top speed. He would do well to remember Josh's slogan, though: "With great speed comes great responsibility." Gobi was very clearly on a race track not designed for the kind of speeds he could react. Would Ned be able to show discipline and not try to go too fast?

OBSTACLE 2

NOTE: This Obstacle has more than one Target Number. Please indicate in your OOC notes which Target Number you are following.

After a long but narrow straightaway, the course slowly rises in elevation, testing the riders' ability to hold a long, uphill right turn. This wasn't the most stamina-intensive turn, but it would set the stage for what they would have to do toward the backstretch. The real test of the teams' skill was when the course stopped rising. There was an almost whiplash-inducing curve just after the two emerged from a short tunnel: a semi-blind U-turn to the right, followed by a second one back to the left. Full right-rein followed by full left-rein tugs might alone be enough for slower Pokémon, but for faster Pokémon, some braking may be needed.

Target Number 1: 115 (Reaction)
Target Number 2: 140 (Endurance)

Special: None

·
close tab

played by

Manfrommercury

he/him
twenty two
December 30
Viridian City
heterosexual
unemployed
civilian
Single
20 height
20 height
awards
37 posts
Ned Clark DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ned
Ned Clark
POSTED ON Dec 31, 2022 19:00:34 GMT
Ned Clark Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blboxfl"]

They touched down harder than anticipated, and Ned realized that he had been holding his breath since before the jump.
[break]
[break]
"That's it, Gobi!"
[break]
[break]
Gliding through the air certainly gave Ned a decent boost of speed, but the momentum from that alone was simply not enough. There were five racers ahead now, and the course was much too narrow for his garchomp pass, even if he could manage the speed. Strangely, Josh and his cyclizar had fallen back by quite a bit, much to Ned's surprise. Perhaps his mount was the least experienced. It would certainly fit Josh's nature to choose the runt of the litter, and train it to its potential. Truly, Ned admired his selflessness.
[break]
[break]
The course's incline rose once more, and Gobi was losing momentum.
[break]
[break]
"Come on! You can do it!"
[break]
[break]
They entered the tunnel, and Ned squinted as he looked ahead to discern a pair of sharp turns ahead. His garchomp staggered a bit, but managed to handle.
[break]
[break]

SELECTION: ENDURANCE[break]
[break]

[break]
REACTION[break]
hDwl2vhr
[break]
[break]
ENDURANCE[break]

[break]
[break]

[newclass=.blboxfl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222;[/newclass]···
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 7:26:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After that nearly race-ending collision, Josh knew he had to make a risky move to get back in the race. While the curve was uphill, it didn't look overly tight. Furthermore, Goroh could make sharp turns, and with the Cyclizar's steering handles coming from bones extending from his shoulder blades, the normal-type would be far more responsive than most of his Pokémon to commands. He had to hold his ground until the course widened, though; the narrow stretch he was on was no place to pass.

The Leader was competing against Ned, too, and there was no way he was going to be embarrassed by the dragon rider. They would properly race Garchomp one day. But for now, he would do what he could to pass Ned. Even if the man had an "unfair" advantage. "Goroh, QUICK ATTACK!" He yanked on both of the Cyclizar's steering bones, the Pokémon entering a wheelie and shooting forward at very high speeds at the expense of turning. He let go with just his left hand, trying his best to maintain the inside center of the track despite cornering ability being roughly halved while pulling that wheelie.

Boost roll, choosing REACTION:
kdSlxNP3 ||

{WC: 195}
{PC: 8}

The Paldeans knew how to race, almost all of them entering wheelies just as Josh did. The southwest, upward-sloping section of the track was littered with tire marks from the dragons accelerating, some of them recklessly doing so. Perhaps the approach Gobi and Ned took, steadily following behind until a stretch of track came that let the Garchomp really let loose with his roaring thrusters came up. There was one coming, too. He just had to make sure he didn't crash out before then.

The trickiest part of the entire course was coming up, and it was one that Josh and the rest of the Cyclizar were approaching at speeds that would require nearly impossible reaction times if they didn't know it was coming. They knew, though, and most of the racers pushed down against their mounts' steering bones to exit the wheelie and restore their turning capability. They were also beginning to show signs of tiring after the long sprint. Exhaustion had nothing to do with the awful miatake Josh and the orange-scarved Cyclizar made; those two simply exited their wheelies way too late. No amount of braking, no matter how sharp, would prevent them from crashing into a guardrail, the riders flipping over it at high speeds, disqualified for landing out of bounds. They would ultimately both be okay, just a bit shaken up. They had paid for their aggression with their right to compete in the heat.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

OBSTACLE 3

The next Obstacle was the course's titular one: the course took the two through a brief underpass followed by a shallow, but long, uphill turn that would take the two in a complete circle. Furthermore, the course was split into two narrow lanes by a steep slope that was easy to slide down if a Pokémon ever drifted too wide. The top lane was by far the fastest one, but with it only being wide enough for three Pokémon, the rider and Pokémon would both need the strength to hold such a long turn and avoid taking the very slow outside line! Following it was the straight-line home stretch, where Pokémon were free to go all out!

Target Number: 120 (Endurance)

Special: The effectiveness of each Pokémon's ranks in Speed are doubled for this Obstacle.

···