snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 18:18:17 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]with the rifts all but throwing hoenn's dimensional structure into ruin, there's an opportunity here for scientific discovery.

and despite herself, illeana reyes can never quite shy away from the incessant need to know more.

it's with this concept in mind that she makes a summons. the handwritten letter is delivered to the mauville city gym by a large golurk, loopy cursive reading a single name for the address: .

she invites him to her labs in the heart of ever grande, held in the hallowed halls of the league's headquarters.

and when he comes, she has just finished piecing together her files on the matter. behind her, a screen looks like it's tracking... something.

a golurk rumbles and she lifts her head. slowly yet quickly, in an odd sort of contradiction, a smile rises.

"thank you for coming, josh! please, have a seat."

she realizes somewhere along the way, between syllables, that the sentence is perhaps a little ominous. oh well... it'll make sense soon enough. all in good time.

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 0:17:32 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While Josh and the Science Sister had met several times before, this was the first time he had been to ' lab proper. It was quite the sprawling facility; Josh wouldn't even have to dismount his Espeon, Janus. Out of respect, though, he simply walked the halls alongside his saddle-wearing psychic-type, his reins in the Leader's left hand. He couldn't be too jealous of the space she had; after all, Josh had acres and acres of property to build Mauville Racing Grounds on.

"You're welcome, and thank you for helping out with finding an ABSOLITE deposit. I've got a couple of my best friends lined up to make the trip out to the Watery Grave. What a horrible-sounding name that is!" It was a desolate, ruinous, partially submerged island cave on Route 121. He had gone out there to scout it, and the Pokémon there were downright dangerous. Not to mention the subterranean network itself would be treacherous to navigate. He sat down at Illeana's request. "So, what brings you out here? I take it the Commissioner wants to bark at me again at how I'm not meeting expectations as a Gym Leader?"

{WC: 194}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Snacker        Sharpedo        Good
Resheph        Dragonair       Good
Tiamat         Dragonite       Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 6:40:18 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]her smile warms quickly, as if it can't maintain neutrality for too long.

"i'm glad to hear that! i hope to hear you've retrieved a new one soon."

she imagines the sensation of unearthing another absolite, of holding it within his grasp with accomplished discovery at his fingertips. it's something she's been craving, truthfully... the feeling of success flooding the body's nervous system.

nothing quite beats it.

he settles into his seat with a question. and for a moment, she simply... blinks at him.

a tinkering giggle escapes, then, and she's waving the concept out of the air with an idle hand.

"no, no. nothing of that sort!"

if wanted to bark at anyone, she would certainly not need illeana to do it. she knows from personal experience that the commissioner is quite capable of issuing reprimands all on her own.

"i actually have a request to ask of you."

a pause lingers almost dramatically.

"you're familiar with the rifts, are you not?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 19:15:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemingly didn't take much for the scientist to smile. Perhaps Josh's enthusiasm and outward-directed positivity really was contagious. If only he wasn't so harsh on himself constantly, he might have been able to deal with the stress of his Gym Leader position better. He was one of those people whose ambition often took him too close to the run, shooting for lofty and unrealistic goals. Being taken advantage of in the past didn't help matters, either.

He tilted his head the other way, his frown turning upside down when the meeting wasn't about his performance as a Gym Leader. "Good!" he replied. "I would like to say I've come a long way since my last performance evaluation and have been looking forward to the next one in the middle of the month." It seemed Illeana's request was related to the rifts that popped up throughout Hoenn. "Yes. I've been to the one by Mount Pyre before. I saw the spirit of my Doublade there." He paused a moment, recalling the brutal battle with Haunted Fist, the Annihilape that had taken many lives near Lilycove City. "...Yagyu, I will forever remember you."

{WC: 192}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 0:11:50 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]a soft hum escapes. it ushers in a sense of approval over his response.

and where she could provide the relief of chitchat, she prefers to hold a tighter grip on the conversation. her mind is too focused to dissolve into much else. it's evident by the way her eyes hone in, analytical and sharp.

"are you interested in going to more rifts?"

her elbows settle on the table, then, and she gathers her hands together in a bundle beneath her chin.

"i'm looking to gather as much information as i can about each of the worlds."

a pause leads into a soft, fluttery sigh.

"i do hate to ask you to risk your safety, but if we're to figure out a way to begin closing them, we must first study them inside and out."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 16:37:19 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
From her facial expression alone, Josh knew the scientist was all business. It wasn't a bad trait to have; after all, time was the more valued commodity for both of them. Her question was stark and clear.

"You're asking me because of my ride Pokémon, aren't you?" With his Pokémon being as strong and swift as they were, it gave the Gym Leader a greater sense of security than most. While the attacks at The Border were much more spiritual in nature, surely the other rifts would have environments where his speed would shine, both offensively and defensively.

"How much do we know as is about the other worlds?" he asked Illeana inquisitively. "Depending on which is which, my skills as a Gym Leader may be better suited to specific ones." He began composing an email to SHELLY SPIEL, his secretary, regarding being on leave from the Gym for an extended period of time, and to prepare to reschedule challengers. He, of course, wouldn't send the email until the duo came to an agreement, but he felt like he was going to take the job on.

{WC: 188}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 6:58:56 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]perhaps, in a way, she is.

her expression lingers in neutral professionalism, stubbornly clinging to the persona her lab coat demands.

"i'm asking you and anyone capable of navigating the rifts to get more information to me if you are willing."

she has placed a few more requests out in the world, hoping to garner enough to begin her half of it all.

a sigh claws its way out of her, then, and her lips settle into a frowning state.

"unfortunately, not much. we're just starting to receive some reports from the rifts."

it's not enough. not in her eyes. she needs more.

"i would like information on all known rifts to begin theorizing how to close them."

the end goal... it feels so far away without knowing everything about the rifts.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 20:16:41 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
So the endgame was to close the rifts. That made sense; from the Border, the one he had already been to, it was a place the living had no business being. "That makes a lot of sense," Josh replied. "I'll do it. It's not like I have much of a choice as Mauville's Gym Leader, as the desert rift could encroach upon the city if it isn't dealt with in a timely fashion. Obviously I'd like to do much of my work there, as I have a duty to protect the citizens of Mauville, but I'll go where you need me to."

It seemed Josh would be one of the first parties. As an Elite Ranger specializing in rescue operations, exploring the unknown was something he had become adept in. From the League's perspective, this was simply them using their resources in the best fashion possible. "I can actually share some information about the rift above Mount Pyre. I didn't stay long. Supposedly, it's a realm where restless souls wander. Humans, Pokémon, doesn't matter. If its life was ended prematurely and it can't move on to the afterlife, it's probably there. I can only speak of what I saw there, since it seemed you couldn't easily see the souls of those you didn't know. I'd ask and what they saw there."

{WC: 224}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 19:08:30 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]a look of relief eases away professional ties. and in a way, she looks more herself and less a cheap imitation of with the acceptance of her inquiry.

”thank you, i appreciate your assistance.”

genuine. real. tangible.

the mention of mt pyre elicits a pause, luring it out from the corners of the room to settle with a heavy weight.

”it is, in fact, a pathway into a world between life and death. when it opened atop mt pyre, i saw bodies come back to life. humans, pokemon… all brought back.”

and despite the sheer miracle of it all, she knows… it’s still as dangerous as the rest of them.

”i can see if they’ll accept a meeting offer, perhaps.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 23:31:03 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed Josh was raring to go. His pursuit of Raikou, though it was now on hold after learning of the Johto Beast's death, dulled his body, mind, and will to the sense and magnitude of danger exploring the rifts would put him in. "For the Great One, Ho-oh, and for the League, I swear to you that I will do my best to help you learn more about the worlds on the other end of these rifts."

"Wait, you said the rift has the power to reverse death?" Josh asked, his eyes wide open. Though it was a long shot, perhaps his quest for Raikou would be reignited once more. "I wonder... if that power is still there. You know how Raikou and Suicune perished in the Kanto War? If there's even a chance..." As much as he wanted to finish that sentence, the words simply did not leave his lips. It gave him hope that, perhaps, the soul of Raikou that perished in the war could be reunited with the body.

{WC: 173}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 3:18:03 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she's quick to nod.

"yes. at least, during the meteor it did."

it was odd, unnatural.

a shrug rolls off her shoulders easily. the weight of the question isn't enough to drag her down.

"i'm not sure if it still contains the same capacity or if it had been circumstantial. for all we know, it was dependent on the primal point firing back on itself."

the only way to know more is what she asks of him: journeying back into the rift.

"i did not know they perished in the kanto war."

she... had still been in sinnoh then, hadn't she?

"if they haven't passed on yet, it could be possible. that is, however, assuming the rift still functions as it previously did when it first opened."

she has her doubts but the reports she's received so far have been slim to none.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 20:06:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed there were a lot of unknowns about what the rifts could even do, but the ability to reverse death gave Josh a small hope that, perhaps, the terrible atrocities of the Kanto War could be reversed, and that Raikou and Suicune's deaths could be undone. If he could be there for that, then perhaps that would be his path to fighting alongside the electric tiger.

"Hearing this motivates me even more," Josh replied, his voice also turning toward the solemn side. "You see, until I heard that news, I had been pursuing Raikou for twelve years. Perhaps if I can help his body and soul be reunited, he may recognize me as the Hero of Johto." This revelation may not have come as surprising, depending on how much Illeana had touched base with the Head Rangers.

"Could you imagine how much of an asset Raikou would be to the League?"

{WC: 152}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2023 4:27:09 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]is it possible?

she wonders, briefly, if the soul can ever be reunited with a decayed body. would it come back whole? or splintered into a lesser version of itself? perhaps even corrupted?

blue mulch pops into her mind, then, and she thinks of what it can do. of the diamond body it brought back in the recesses of lucas lane's garden on that fateful day.

"with all due respect, mr devlin..."

her eyes are almost remorseful as they stare into him. hollow yet shimmering with sympathy.

"be careful of getting your hopes up. they can crush you in the end."

and hadn't she been like this gym leader once? months ago... bright eyed and hungry for a god's recognition to replace the one lost. it did not bode well.

she still hears her hopes shattering every now and then. a faint, echoing sound.

her smile somehow stays encouraging despite it all.

"it would be an asset to the league, however. there is no doubt about that."

all legendaries would be an asset in the league's eyes... but what of the road, the sacrifices, it takes to get there?

she clears her throat, then, and ushers in a topic change with a sudden swiftness. as if she can't stomach the similarities between them any longer.

"now, may i give you a run-down of what i'm looking for with this rift information?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 16, 2023 10:06:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Illeana's stare was scary, as though it penetrated into the deep recesses of his mind. Recesses that showed how much he desired to fight alongside Raikou, and not for himself. His desires were truly to fight for the League and eradicate Team Rocket from not only Hoenn, but the entire planet. "I already had my hopes crushed when told me about Raikou's death. My childhood dream had been to meet, befriend, and ride Raikou. And while it wasn't the same as the real thing, Kyle has this... Raikou-familiar... that he can call on, and it's physically just like the real thing. He let me go for a ride on the Raikou-familiar, all the way across Hoenn."

Josh took his helmet off long enough to show s small to medium-sized scar on his chin, clearly from where bone had pierced it. "This was from riding Raikou's EXTREME SPEED. It was the most humbling experience I've ever had." Suspecting the scientist would want it, he shared the exact figure Raikou had topped out at, which was a frightening number. It was one that would have certainly been lethal in the event of a crash. "Before that, it was a surreal experience. It was the most fun I've ever had in my life. When he kicked it up to EXTREME SPEED, though, it was just too much for even me, the Master of Faster, to handle. And as far as I'm concerned, I've lived that dream. And without a Raikou to chase, my chase is over. The moment I hear about another one roaming Hoenn, though, the chase is on."

"But let's get back on task," Josh sighed. He could have reminisced about the ride on the Johto Beast's back for longer than the ride itself lasted. "Fire away."

{WC: 297}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
sontar
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 22:39:22 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she remembers, briefly, of the powers holds. and while the visage of raikou does not exist in her memory, that of entei does. it's been in the field with them once or twice, existing as an odd sort of entity. had it been real or a figment of the imagination?

in the heat of everything they've been through, it's entirely possible it was just another one of his mightyena that her mind transformed into something greater.

"i'm glad kyle was able to provide you with such a cherished experience."

she hopes more will come to him. his hard work for the good of hoenn warrants as much but that is not up to her decision. after all, she does not hold what he wants. and yet, she makes a mental note to summon him again should she ever find information regarding his chase.

it's the least she can do, perhaps, for his participation in her endeavors.

"i would like to focus on the structure and environment of the rifts."

a paper list is extended toward him.

"things like the landscape they hold or the wildlife one might find in there would be lovely."

and yet...

"above all, though, i would like to know the dimensional frequencies of each rift. i know that is a lot to ask of you, but if a snippet of them could be recorded... it would be instrumental to begin formulating how to close them."