snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 19:42:55 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]after the events of mt pyre and the subsequent mass opening of rifts across primal point locations, the league has been a flurry of action, meetings, and reports.

and perhaps it comes as no surprise for the scientists to be in the heart of it all.

she's been sorting through reports all week, bleeding the league's coffee supply bone dry just to make it through.

the final report of the previous morning, however, causes a deviation in routine. it leads for a request, seeking the presence of the report's author.

and as the hour strikes time for his arrival, 's report sits idly on her desk, ready for reference.

her smile is warmer when he arrives, relieved at the very sight of him. she remembers, briefly, the plucking of his unconscious body from the hallowed ground of mt pyre and the carrying of him to safety.

"mr graves," she murmurs. "thank you for coming."

the expression lingers firmly in place.

"i must say, i'm very glad to see you have recovered from mt pyre."

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
paralegal / special agent
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 1:38:24 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Between the highly skilled medical staff at Lilycove General Hospital, various Pokémon's healing moves boosting, and a few weeks off work straddling the end of November and the start of December, Gunner had indeed seen a full recovery. He entered 's office with a straight back and a confident stride, the scars from the worst of his wounds hidden beneath a tailored suit and tie.[break][break]

"Dr. Reyes," Gunner greeted the professor in kind, the corners of his mouth turning up in a polite smile. "Thank you. I'm glad to be back on my feet and working."[break][break]

His stay at the hospital had bored him out of his mind, and his weeks off work had been no better.[break][break]

"What did you want to see me about?" Though Gunner had a hunch, especially as his golden eyes glanced at the report on her desk, it was more polite to ask instead of assume.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.gunner2]--accent:#D8AD43;[/newclass]
[newclass=.gunner2]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .credit"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .credit a"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 7:22:12 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"diving back into work is definitely a welcome change of pace after bed rest."

she agrees with him wholeheartedly on the concept. being stuck in bed, unable to do much besides binge whatever shows are available on netflix or replay recent events over and over is never fun. somehow, she appreciates the busy atmosphere of work even more now.

"your reports, actually."

an idle hand gestures toward the one sitting on her desk.

"the attention to detail stuck out in particular."

and it's exactly what she's looking for, really. she pivots, then, to the contents and what they mean for this meeting.

"i believe we might share a similar interest in the rifts."

where they lead, what they hold...

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 13:10:23 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Of course, Gunner strove to record as much detail as he could remember in his reports. The rifts were new, uncharted territory, and the League needed as much information on them as possible: the resources they could obtain, the dangers the rifts posed to the region. He was not the kind of man to leave anything out.[break][break]

"The HBIC wants a clear understanding of the worlds beyond the rifts and how they can benefit the region."[break][break]

Gunner spoke with a formality that marked him as an agent representing of his organization, not as a man representing his own interests.[break][break]

"To that end, if there's a way we can assist our scientist's studies of the rifts, we are happy to lend our intelligence and manpower."[break][break]

For the good of the realm.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.gunner2]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".gunner2 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:0px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 1:11:00 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]the hbic and herself seem to have the same idea in mind, perhaps.

"have they found any to be beneficial to the region as of yet?"

somehow, she has the tiniest inkling that the rifts are more problematic than they are helpful. they weaken hoenn's dimensional structure. and where there's weakness, the opportunity to take advantage breeds like parasites in the intestines of a body.

for the good of the realm...

her smile widens.

"truthfully, i was hoping you'd say that."

a tinkering sort of laugh escapes and fades out of existence as quickly as it rises.

"i'm looking into a way to map out a successful closure of these rifts, but to do so requires as much information as i can gather."

her eyes are expectant when they refocus on his, red meeting gold.

"would you be willing to help me, mr. graves?"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 12:02:48 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Gunner shook his head, expression solemn. "To the region? No, our expedition teams haven't returned with anything concrete, only conjectures. Individually, though?"[break][break]

He recalled some of the items in the safehouse in Ever Grande City: smoke bombs, odd mushrooms, mysterious ores, and trinkets of unknown design.[break][break]

"Some of the items we've recovered so far might be useful, but we won't know for certain until the analyses on them are complete. We've transferred a few specimens to your laboratories already and are just waiting on the results."[break][break]

His report had mentioned this, too.[break][break]

Closing the rifts was certainly on the HBIC's to-do list, but he was not privy to where it fell on the timeline. For all he knew, the Bureau wished to keep them open for as long as possible so they could maximize the window of opportunity for gathering intel and resources.[break][break]

But either way, information on how to close the rifts would be valuable. It could even be strategic knowledge, were the League to permanently close one or more after luring key members of Team Rocket inside.[break][break]

"Of course, Dr. Reyes," Gunner replied.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 5:10:38 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she hums softly.

nothing concrete... perhaps there's more expeditions to be done before additional information is within their grasp. she wonders, for a moment, if there's deductions to be made from what they've found so far. she'll have to pour herself back into his reports and see what she has missed.

"the analysis of the items you have provided should be ready within a few days. depending on the results, it's possible we could utilize them for new medicines, technology, or maybe tools for future expeditions."

the early stages of studying have already been completed. it shouldn't be long now...

"what of the environments within each rift? do you believe them to be dangerous to the human or pokemon body?"

it's a roundabout way of asking something quite simple: has he experienced horrors on his trips?

and with confirmation, an air of excitement begins to spread from her. it's soft, like warm morning light coming in through an open curtain.

"thank you, i appreciate it!"

his agreeance, however, begs another question. it's indulgent, in a way, to nourish her own curiosity.

"are there any worlds you are interested in specifically?"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 14:28:47 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Gunner thought back to his experience in the realm people had come to call the Border. Not only was the landscape mind-blowing in its physical impossibility, but the spirits of the dead dwelled there. Through trickery and guile, they had sought to ensnare Gunner and his team on each expedition.[break][break]

"Yes," he said, looking at Illeana with unflinching severity. "They are absolutely dangerous. Anyone entering must exercise extreme caution when interacting with the beings that live beyond the rifts."[break][break]

He was not the kind of man to exaggerate or make jokes, especially when it came to his work.[break][break]

When she asked for his preference of world to explore, he paused, considering. Ideally, he would visit all of them, but he was not the only agent working for the Bureau and knew better than to assume all responsibility of surveying the realms himself. As the agent most familiar with the Border, it behooved him to focus on it.[break][break]

"I've been making trips into the Border, so I'd like to continue that," he explained to Illeana. "My growing familiarity with it be of use to future expedition teams."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 3:30:30 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]despite the answer being within a realm of expectation, she still finds a frown persisting.

"if we knew what each one held, perhaps we could prepare each expedition team for specific rifts."

it's difficult to gather such intel, though, without sacrificing the safety of the first teams to journey within. and would it be worth it? perhaps...

the border. it's familiar, opening up right before their very eyes. and yet, she wonders if it's become worse with each passing minute of being open. the rifts are seeing in a simple sort of way: a festering wound on hoenn's skin, eating the region alive from the inside out.

"please do."

she's greedy in the way she asks for him to keep going, to keep providing nourishing information. after enough tries, maybe she'd even have the phantom of an idea.

"has the border proven to be worse than what we experienced on mt pyre when it opened?"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 13:32:44 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Now that was a more difficult question to answer. A simple 'yes' or 'no' would not suffice.[break][break]

"In some ways, yes. The realm seems to prey on people's negative emotions — whether that's fear, hatred, envy, or something else — as well as memories. The spirits there can friendly or hostile, and their behavior is unpredictable."[break][break]

Gunner's mind flashed back to one of his earliest trips into the Border. The horrific, disfigured body of his late girlfriend was one memory that kept him awake in the late hours of the night.[break][break]

"That said, there also seems to be a…" he paused, trying to find the right word as he crossed his arms over his chest, "a sense of stability to the realm. Even if the physics don't make sense, and even if the nature of things there are difficult to understand, it all seems cohesive. Not random."[break][break]

He shrugged and shook his head.[break][break]

"Sorry, Dr. Reyes. I'm not sure I can explain it well."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2023 4:17:09 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she hums through chewing on his information until the taste grows bland on the tongue.

"perhaps there's something in that rift we don't know of yet..."

a shot in the dark. only time will tell if its a bullseye.

"i don't know of any fables where spirits feast on emotions but that could be a possibility as well."

one thing is for certain: it defies natural law.

and when things defy the laws of the universe, it never quite ends well. she wonders, for a brief fleeting moment, if the creator knows. if the creator is seething with divine rage until ichor turns to fire in its veins. or, as the thoughts pivot into something worse, is the original one finding new ways to send them into oblivion?

"cohesive? hm."

an interesting thought. perhaps it's nothing more than purgatory being ripped into their realm of existence, forced into being seen against its will.

"no, no... you're explaining very well. is there anything else you had noted while in there?"

she flashes a small, encouraging smile for him to continue should he have additional information. her soul is half nourished. it may only need a morsel more.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 12:38:36 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Gunner felt tempted to raise his eyebrow at Illeana's voiced musing but refrained. It seemed obvious to him that there was more beyond the rifts than what they had already discovered — much more — but who was he to question a Head Professor?[break][break]

Instead, he simply nodded along with her comments. "I don't know of any fables like that either, but it could be a worthwhile investigation for our historians. My brother is a professor at Slateport University and runs the National Museum of Natural History in Slateport. Perhaps he knows some people who are well versed in regional folklore and myth," Gunner mused aloud.[break][break]

Illeana's continued press for more information prompted Gunner to sit back and think about everything he had already shared, both during their conversation and in his reports. Eventually, he shook his head.[break][break]

"Nothing I can think of at this time," he replied. "But if anything comes to me belatedly, I'll let you know."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 17, 2023 21:31:28 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]"could you write down his contact information for me?"

it's a place to start on her end and, in a way, another piece to add to her collection of possible collaborators. she's found multiple minds working together has a funny way of increasing the amount of enjoyment she finds in work. perhaps would feel the same.

and when gunner has no further information for her, she nods slowly.

"alright, that sounds like a plan."

her business card is offered, then, with her contact information staring up at him.

"you could call or email should you not want to make multiple trips back here."

she knows some information is better in person but the trip to ever grande can occasionally be daunting.

and once he takes the card, she settles into a contemplative expression.

"on your next expedition, could you find a way to record the frequency of the rift for me?"

close tab

played by

gunsmile

"Lancer"
he / him
September 5
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
pansexual
lieutenant
6'1" / 185 cm height
6'1" / 185 cm height
awards
1,305 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gunner
Gunner Graves
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2023 12:17:54 GMT
Gunner Graves Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","gunner2"]
[attr="class","text"]

Gunner reached for a pen and notepad on Illeana's desk to scribble down his brother's professional email address. In exchange, he took the business card she offered him. "Certainly, Dr. Reyes," he replied, pocketing it.[break][break]

However, her request to record the rift's frequency prompted Gunner to tilt his head, curious. "How should I go about doing that? Is there specific equipment you want me to use?"[break][break]

He doubted he could simply download an app onto his phone. No, it was more likely that Illeana's team had either adapted current technology for use on the rifts or developed new technology entirely. Gunner would not put it past the brilliant minds of the League to have already built a device ready for testing.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,124 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
calufrax
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2023 1:09:47 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]after a moment of pen scratching paper, 's email address stares up at her. she slips it into the pocket of her lab coat. the intention of committing it to memory comes later in the spaces left behind by a concluded meeting.

"i'm in the process of modifying current primal energy detectors to see if frequencies can be recording using that technology."

there's no guarantee it'll work...

"in the mean time, psychic pokemon like bronzong might be capable of playing back frequencies they detect using their bell-like body."

she, personally, places her faith in a different species but the end result is the same: he has options at his disposal.

"porygon-z would also be beneficial if you have one. their program is adapted to extra-dimensional work. they do, however, have an odd way about them."

perhaps seeing and existing in terms of universal codes is too much for even programmed creatures.