6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Ace Combat [GYM][C/Andrea]
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 7:08:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
, @marcelo , and now . They were all rising stars in the Top Champion's and Director's Minor League program, the very program Josh got promoted to his position in Mauville City out of. It was integral in getting his feet wet and deciding if the role of Gym Leader was right for him to play. That decision helped ease him into his now perpetually busy position, a never-ending cascade of challengers entering and leaving Mauville Racing Grounds.

The Master of Faster wouldn't have it any other way.

One particularly promising Minor League Leader caught the Major Leaguer's interest, . They had fought together at the Meteno operation and bonded with one another over dragon-type Pokémon. And now, the two were about to square off in the highest speed battle he had ever taken part in. "Alphamax, Sidewinder, begin landing sequence!" Josh cried, playing the role of an ace pilot as his Garchomp descended to land in the center of the ranch's main field.

Josh had already removed the Dragapult's riding gear, anticipating the Gym Leader's arrival soon. Once he touched down, he began removing his Garchomp's saddle, bit, and bridle so they wouldn't be damaged during the battle. Sidewinder started floating toward Josh, the Dreepy in his snout smiling in anticipation of looking forward to making a big difference in what Josh anticipated to be primarily supersonic, air-to-air combat...

{WC: 230}
{PC: 1}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 8, 2023 9:59:51 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Andrea was insanely focused. This part needed surgical precision. Even the slightest error could result in tragedy. Cold sweat dripped down her face. "Steady... Steady... Steady-y-y-y..."

Just before she could add a top to her unfinished sandwich, a supersonic landing nearly knocked her off her feet, causing her to drop the slice of bread the wrong way and make a mess over the picnic table. "Uh oh... Are Finn and Edges fighting again?"

The dragon-costumed girl worriedly ran over to the center of the ranch to see what the commotion was about, only to see a familiar face waiting there. "Oh hi, Mr. Devlin! What brings you here?" She curiously asked.
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 17:24:04 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Alphamax's thrusters went silent after the two dragons and rider touched down. The only line Josh heard after he took his earplugs out was an inquiry for his visit. "My appointment?" Josh shrugged. "I thought I had an appointment with you for about this time. Your Gym is open, right?" he asked, a bit confused. "I know I made my appointment pretty quick after the signups went live on the League's website. It didn't kick me out of the system, did it...?"

The Garchomp next to Josh let out a war cry as soon as all his riding gear had been removed, the racer leaving it on the end of the picnic table's near seat. "Pretty impressed. Reminds me a lot of my old Racing Grounds back at Trainer Hill. Did I tell you I used to be in the Minor League too? If you work really hard, they'll promote you to the majors. I'll have to put in the good word for you if I'm impressed with you, win or lose. Anyway, my Pokémon." Sidewinder floated around Andrea with a grin on his face, ready to bombard the new Leader's Pokémon with Dreepy missiles. "Alphamax and Sidewinder. When I noticed how dragon-themed your Gym was, I couldn't help but bring two of my own loyal dragons."

When directed, Josh would take his spot in the Trainer's Box. Whether it was as technologically advanced as his own Gym was to be determined, but if it was functional, that was what mattered. "I hope you're ready for me to lock on and shoot you down!"

{WC: 266}
{PC: 2}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Alphamax       Garchomp        Good
Sidewinder     Dragapult       Good

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 21:03:11 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The dragon-hooded girl comically blinked at the mention of an appointment. "Oh, so that's why my Rotom Phone kept beeping!" Nonetheless, she was happy to accept a challenger anytime she was physically present at her Gym, whether they had come with an appointment or not. It was nice to know that there were such systems in place, though.

"Wow, imagine that! I haven't even challenged your Gym yet, and here you are challenging mine! I'd better do my best to impress you, haha!" Andrea remarked with a soft laugh, making her way to a basic battling field that still served its purpose. Acknowledging Josh's selection with a nod, she produced two Pokéballs from her costume's pockets. "Lemme show you my loyal dragons! Go, Whiskers, Huggles!"

A sparkling red Gyarados was sent out, letting out a fierce roar. The mighty ocean snake was joined by a smaller, but still formidable Dragonite that spread its stubby arms happily as if wanting to give the challengers a big, friendly hug.

"I might be a novice Gym leader, but don't take us lightly!" The trainer of dragons boasted, a finger rubbing the underside of her nose.

Rumbling thunderclouds covered the previously clear skies, the first few raindrops soaking the field courtesy of a Rain Dance. Andrea opened up an umbrella. While the rain intensified, Whiskers circled the damp air on her long, serpentine body, performing a beautiful Dragon Dance.

All of this was just warm-up, of course. The main event had yet to come.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 15:54:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As soon as the head judge announced the beginning of the battle, three of the four Pokémon started getting up to great speeds, Whiskers and Sidewinder DRAGON DANCING through the skies alongside one another. Both of them seemingly effortlessly pushed aside the torrent of rain that Huggles summoned. The wind that came with it would almost assuredly create turbulent conditions for all the dragons except Sidewinder, the ghost-type largely unaffected by the wind.

"Dragons are some of the fastest Pokémon in the world, as I'm sure you know," Josh remarked, trying to distract Andrea long enough for his Garchomp's bio-engines to spool. "Let's see if your prowess with dragons can keep up with the Master of Faster!" Alphamax was still getting up to speed, thogh he was going fast enough to try to sink his claws past the Dragonite's scales in a passing DRAGON RUSH. Hit or no, the land shark would go into a sprint, flatten his wing fins, and attempt to take off.

{WC: 167}
{PC: 3}

Alphamax       Garchomp        Good

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 20:40:26 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"Dragons are known for more than just their speed! They're also known for their power!" The dragon fanatic quipped back, throwing her hand forward in a very dramatic fashion. "Whiskers, strike them down with the power of a Waterfall!"

While not technically a Dragon type, Gyarados fit the general description of a 'dragon'. At its trainer's behest, the red serpent doused Sidewinder with a relentless torrent of water, intent on cutting the Dragapult's skyward journey short.

Meanwhile, Huggles proved to be much tougher than his unassuming nickname suggested. Thanks to his Multiscale ability, the Dragonite took the Dragon Rush almost like it was nothing. Following that, the orange dragon took to the skies in hot pursuit of Alphamax. He couldn't match his opponent's superior speed, but he didn't necessarily have to, summoning a massive Hurricane to engulf the Garchmop instead.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 22:57:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Rage incident and the Radio Tower takeover incident being related. He knew that while there was no inherent strength to the recessive gene combination that caused the Shiny phenomenon, they were rare enough to be prized by trainers fortunate enough to own them. This Gyarados was as special to Andrea as Josh's Manectric was to him.

Andrea's quip reiterated that dragons weren't just known for their speed; they also possessed great power. While they were nowhere as nimble as Josh's duo, the Leader's team could still put on quite a bit of speed. "Throttle up, Alphamax! Use takeoff power!" Josh cried once he heard the enemy Leader's command to give chase. He could faintly hear the hum of Dragonite wings vibrating. That meant only one of two things: EXTREME SPEED, or HURRICANE. Neither of those were particularly pleasant. His thrust, to Josh's dismay, was insufficient to avoid the potent column of wind that attempted to ground the creature's flight. The intense wind was buffeting him backwards, forced to dive close to the ground to recover from a stall and get back in the air. While the Garchomp was able to avoid a crash, he would need to get back up to speed before going back on the offensive.

Sidewinder's superior speed and prepared DRAGON DANCE let him swerve out of the way of the worst of the WATERFALL, though a glancing blow still hurt quite a bit. Unlike Huggles, Sidewinder was a stealth fighter, and had very little in the form of defenses. "Missile lock... and fire!" Josh commanded of the ghost-type, keeping him away from the Gyarados and directing the DRAGON DARTS that were heat-seeking Dreepy-missiles to launch themselves at Huggles.

{WC: 302}
{PC: 4}

Alphamax       Garchomp        Fair | Confuse

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 10:00:27 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The Dreepy missiles found their target, quite literally knocking the wind out of his sails. Visibly battered by the attack that tore through his defenses, Huggles willed electricity to manifest between his antennae, hurling a Thunder Wave towards the speedy Dragapult.

Meanwhile, Whiskers redirected her wrath at the weakened Garchomp, descending towards the shark-like dragon with bloodlust written in her eyes. "Garchomp hate the cold! Go for an Ice Fang!" Andrea instructed her shiny Gyarados, who attempted to sink its massive, ice-coated jaws into the opponent.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 17:19:04 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Despite the danger posed by the Gyarados' ICE FANG, Alphamax kept charging toward the Gyarados. Perhaps if the Garchomp were fast enough, he could interrupt the mist-laden fangs before they got down to the temperature needed to properly use the Ice-type attack. When it was apparent that even with full thrust, the dragon wasn't going to be able to get to the Gyarados in time, he opened his marge mouth and belched DRAGON BREATH all over the red serpent's face in an effort to lock up his foe's jaw and prevent him from clamping down on him. It was too late, though; whether by the frigid mist or the ice crystals that would have formed on Whiskers' fangs, the Garchomp was destined to fall.

"Take evasive maneuvers, Sidewinder!" Josh commanded, Sidewinder entering a sudden barrel roll in an attempt to evade the crippling electric shock. While his barrel roll let him avoid the brunt of the attack, the Dragapult's flight became more labored and awkward, the power with which the THUNDER WAVE struck his wing contaminating its flight surface and forcing him to compensate for a tendency to roll to the left. It nullified any speed advantage the DRAGON DANCE had bestowed on him and made it much easier to see his blistering fast attacks coming. "Now, fire another volley of missiles, this time at the Gyarados!" the Mauville Leader shouted, launching a second volley of DRAGON DARTS toward the red serpent with intent to dispatch it and make this a fair fight with the Dragonite alone.

{WC: 254}
{PC: 5}

Alphamax       Garchomp        KO
Sidewinder     Dragapult       Good | Slow

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 20:26:04 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The shiny Gyarados recoiled from the Dragon Breath, its serpentine body going stiff from Paralysis. Another volley of Dragon Darts was enough to finish the job that Alphamax had started. Its ancestral rage finally subsided, the leviathan plummeted to the ground with a resounding thud, soon to be enveloped by the red light of the Pokéball.

"Thank you for fighting for me, Whiskers..." Andrea solemnly muttered, holding the ball close to her chest. Her eyes shot wide open with a fierce look. "Alright, Huggles, it's up to you now! Use the rain to your advantage!" The girl shouted.

Her Dragonite nodded, flying straight at the slowed down Dragapult and rotating its chubby body in midair, attempting to strike the ghostly dragon with a Rain-boosted Aqua Tail.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 19:41:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Normally, Dragapult was at a huge advantage against Dragonite. Being able to phase through EXTREME SPEED despite it being something too fast to react to eliminated the greatest perceived weapon the dragon cosplayer had against Josh. With Whiskers' AQUA TAIL enhanced by the torrential downpour, the slowed dragon-type took a huge body blow, needing full takeoff thrust to avoid a battle-ending crash.

Sidewinder was running on fumes. He was out of missiles and low on stamina, ghostly wisps trailing from his tail like smoke. This was going to end, and soon. Whether it would be in victory or defeat was still unclear. As much as Josh didn't want to issue the command to the tired phantom, the only way he saw to a win was to order a DRAGON RUSH. While it was far from the full speed the dragon-type was normally capable of, the Master of Faster judged that it would be more than enough to land a heavy blow on, if not dispatch entirely, such a clumsy flying-type.

{WC: 170}
{PC: 6}

Sidewinder     Dragapult       Poor | Slow
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 20:13:46 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"Huggles, watch out!" The young PokéManiac tried to warn her friend, but it was too late, that Dragon Rush finding its target and then some. The Dragonite fell off the skies like a sack of rocks, creating a sizable crater on the ground where he landed.

With the rain slowly but surely petering out, it looked like this battle was drawing to a close. However, Huggles still had some fight left in him. Willing his bruised and battered body halfway up, the pseudo-legendary fired a Dragon Rage as his last hurrah.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 20:29:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Both of the dragons were in serious trouble. The impact of the DRAGON RUSH had sent both of them hurtling toward the ground, Sidewinder in a dangerous right roll that he was losing the strength to overcome. The ghost-type's more aerodynamic frame meant he was falling a lot faster than the meatier Dragonite. In this case, speed was working against the Mauville Leader. There had even been enough separation that he was out of melee range of the small-winged dragon, forcing the Dragonite to use his breath weapon to deliver the finishing blow.

Or what would have been the finishing blow, if Josh didn't have one last trick up his sleeve.

"Sidewinder, activate your stealth mode with your PHANTOM FORCE!" Just before the Dragapult would have crashed into the ground on his side, he disappeared in a small cloud of smoke. There was no telling where he would reappear!

{WC: 148}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,679 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 21:01:33 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The 'stealth mode' allowed Sidewinder to vanish into thin air, completely evading the Dragon Rage. Where would he reappear, indeed? It was a question that didn't matter in the long run, for Huggles had already wore himself out. The Dragonite groaned weakly, before passing out from exhaustion.

"You did good, Huggles. You did good." Andrea rubbed the dragon's hide comfortingly, before returning him into his ball for some well deserved rest. The skies above them finally cleared, a beautiful rainbow appearing over the ranch.

Walking up to the self-proclaimed Master of Faster, the novice Gym leader presented him with a handcrafted badge shaped like a nondescript creature's head. "Congrats for beating us, Mr. Devlin! Here's your Monster Badge! Did you and your Pokémon have fun?" She asked.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 21:24:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
SIdewinder returned from the ethereal, holding back the full power of his PHANTOM FORCE after seeing Andrea's dragon already unconscious. Letting out a shrill cry, the Dragapult landed on his side next to the fallen Dragonite, unable to maintain lift using his greatly contaminated flight surfaces. Those would need to be maintained at a Pokémon Center before the ghost and dragon Pokémon could fly again.

Josh withdrew his fallen Pokémon, then held out his right hand for the MONSTER BADGE to be dropped into his palm. "You're really good," Mauville's Master of Faster complimented the young Minor Leaguer. "Had I not had Sidewinder's PHANTOM FORCE in my back pocket, that match was yours, hands down. I'll put in the good word to Director for you. Speaking of which, we have a group chat with all of Hoenn's Gym Leaders in it, Minor Leaguers included. You should ask Kyle to invite you. It's really helpful for mentoring."

"Oh, it was a blast," Josh answered with a smile. He knew his dragons had an equal amount of fun in the close battle. "When you're not swarming with challengers, we should go dragon riding together sometime. Not even necessarily with a goal in mind. What say you? We can even set a date for it so I can book my Gym closed that day."

{WC: 225}
{PC: 7}