6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
PFL Ultra Bowl: Goldenrod @ Wyndon [PUB][O]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2023 23:11:39 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Today may have been the busiest day of the year at 's Unovan restaurant and bar, HOWLING AT THE MOON. The place was packed with Unovan football fans ready to watch the biggest sporting event of the year, the Ultra Bowl. Twelve of the greatest teams in the country clashed in fierce pigskin battles filled with blood, sweat, and tears. Every play mattered. Every yard was important. Every game this postseason kept fans on the edge of their seats. And now, only two teams remained.

Josh was stoked to be in downtown Slateport, cheering his Goldenrod football team on. They were the Cinderella story of the PFL, up against the unstoppable-looking Wyndon team. While the Goldenrod team got in on a Wild Card spot, they had momentum going for them, winning seven games in a row. Wyndon, though, had a nearly seamless 16-1 record, the number one record in the League this year. While the seat he had wasn't the greatest for watching the game, he could still see one of the big-screen TVs the game was on, and with the broadcast's audio being played through the restaurant's speakers, he could hear the game instead of simply reading closed captions.

Josh sat down at his assigned table and browsed the dinner menu, a tall glass of lemonade in front of him as his eyes shifted between the menu and one of the flatscreens the game was being broadcast on. With the pre-game show wrapping, the kickoff was minutes away...

1st QTR 15:00
WYN 0
GOL 0
KICKOFF

{WC: 249}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

Wytch

Lou
She/her
May 12
Cianwood City
Lesbian
Personal Trainer
Civillian
seasons change, but people don't --
awards
15 posts
part of
TAG WITH @louise
louise heidrich
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 15:21:29 GMT
louise heidrich Avatar
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monlyrics2"]
[attr="class","monbody2"]Lou slumped in her seat, sweatshirt arms pulled up over her hands, marinating in the comfortable smell of beer foam and fried food. This bar wasn’t her normal haunt, and was actually fancier than she was used to– but nothing brought the bouge down a peg like commercialized team sports.

There was a comfortable brainlessness to falling in with the masses, in stark contrast to her old competitive days. It was nice to not be an athlete anymore.

The guy next to her seemed way more into it than she was– she didn’t have any real stake in the game. It was just… comfort food. But for her brain.

“Who do you have picked to win?” she asked, giving the server a polite nod as they dropped off her sazerac, a dark concoction of liqueurs that smelled slightly medicinal.

[attr="class","montag"]
i hope this is okay!

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.mon2]width:340px;padding:40px;background:#f18c82;[/newclass]
[newclass=.mon2 img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monlyrics2]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:18px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#fafafa;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monbody2]width:340px;padding:40px;background:#fafafa;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:verdana;color:#555;[/newclass]
[newclass=.montag]text-align:center;font-size:9px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.montag a]font-size:9px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 15:46:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
A young lady, not too much older than Josh, sat down next to Josh with her sazerac. It was, out of all the pubs he had been to during the entire PFL postseason, the darkest drink he had seen. He didn't even bother asking for a whiff, instead sipping on his lemonade as Goldenrod kicked off, Wyndon's receivers letting the oblong ball bounce out of the back of the end zone for a touchback, giving them the ball at their own 25 yard line.

"Wyndon's the favorite, but I grew up in Goldenrod. I want to see them win," Josh answered as the game's commentators went through introducing Wyndon's offensive line and Goldenrod's defensive line. It was cold in Wyndon. Very cold. Fans were covered in heavy coats. Josh knew, though, that both teams were used to the cold.

"How you doing tonight?" he asked. "Elite Ranger Devlin or Gym Leader Devlin, but I go by Josh." His smiling face quickly turned to a scowl as a whistle out of the speakers caught his attention. There was a penalty against Goldenrod on the very first play of the game, the referee announcing the obvious jump offsides from the Johto team's defensive back.

"Neutral zone infraction, number 60, defense. 5 yard penalty, first down."

"Are you kidding me...?" Josh trailed off. "Come on Goldenrod, you know better than to be so jumpy!"

1st QTR 15:00
WYN 0
GOL 0
1st DOWN & 5
BALL: Wyndon 30

{WC: 231}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

Wytch

Lou
She/her
May 12
Cianwood City
Lesbian
Personal Trainer
Civillian
awards
15 posts
part of
TAG WITH @louise
louise heidrich
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 19:54:18 GMT
louise heidrich Avatar
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]He started explaining the odds and she listened politely with vague interest until he got to the part about Goldenrod.

“Goldenrod? Nice.” She leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms. “Cianwood. Born and raised.” Born, raised, and blooded, actually, until she had to leave for, you know reasons. Goldenrod wasn’t bad. Bit big, for her tastes.

He then rattled off an introduction with a lot of titles and accolades. Lou lifted a respectful eyebrow.

“Lou,” she said, by means of her own intro, “uhh, regular citizen. Currently of Rustboro.” She took a drink of her beverage, nose wrinkling at the acridity. “And I’m well enough. Bit miffed that I moved to a tropical region in winter, but.” She shrugged. "And yourself?"

[attr="class","montag"]

[newclass=.mon2 img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monlyrics2]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:18px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#fafafa;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monbody2]width:340px;padding:40px;background:#fafafa;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:verdana;color:#555;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 20:48:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's eyes widened a little when he heard Cianwood. "A fellow Johtonian, I see! Technically I'll be a dual citizen in a month or two, but for now my home is in Johto. Cianwood's got a hell of a baseball club." Indeed, Goldenrod was big; it was by far the largest city in Johto, with Olivine being a distant second. The rest of Johto was quite rural.

"Great to meet you, Lou," Josh replied. "Doing well - just enjoying some football! Funny you speak of Rustboro - that was one of the cities I was offered my Gym at! Ultimately I decided I wanted to run Mauville's Gym due to the centralized location. Ranger tickets take me all over the region, as you can imagine. It's nice living somewhere central."

The topic of the weather came up, but Hoenn's weather was anything but tropical ever since Kyurem Glaciated the area around Oldale Town. "Since the meteor, the weather's been all kinds of messed up. You'd never see snow in Hoenn, and now there's been--"

A loud cheer interrupted Josh, drawing his attention to the football game. Wyndon's quarterback had thrown a rocket of a pass far down the field, their receiver making a miraculous catch and evading a Goldenrod tackle to take the ball all the way to the other side of the field for a 50-yard touchdown. "They better show this again." And they did, in slow motion, from several angles. "Wow, into that much coverage, that's a hell of a catch. Seven well earned points." Goldenrod had a lot of work to do after Wyndon kicked the ball back to them.

1st QTR 11:13
WYN 7
GOL 0
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Goldenrod 31

{WC: 271}
{PC: 3}
close tab

played by

Wytch

Lou
She/her
May 12
Cianwood City
Lesbian
Personal Trainer
Civillian
awards
15 posts
part of
TAG WITH @louise
louise heidrich
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 21:34:26 GMT
louise heidrich Avatar
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]She nods along with his enthusiasm. “Yeah, big sports town in many aspects. Especially in the combat arts. Lot of old blood, national level competition families.” Hers among them.

She hasn’t been to much of Hoenn except Rustboro and Slateport, which seemed like the larger travel hubs of the region.

“Nice. I haven’t been to Mauville yet. I hope to explore more of the region in the new year. It's one of my resolutions, actually.” Maybe when the snow was gone? Though it didn’t really bother her. It was just a pain.

He mentions Kyurem was here and she does a double take.

“Wow. A meteor and a Legendary? Huh.” She turns her attention to the tabletop. “If I wanted to go somewhere less troublesome I sure picked the wrong place.”

Still, she was holding out hope for a quiet life, a quiet retirement, even as the bar got loud around them.

[attr="class","montag"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2023 22:09:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Yep, I remember," Josh smiled. Of course he would know a lot about Johtonian sports clubs and competitions. "I don't watch a ton of individual sports; I think team sports are more interesting. That doesn't make individual sports any less impressive, of course!" He pumped a fist as a fake handoff caught Wyndon's defense napping, picking up a big gain. After being stopped on second-and-short, the Goldenrod team would need three yards to continue the drive, and a 56-yard field goal attempt would be a risky play if they were stopped.

"Mauville may not be the largest city in Hoenn, but it's the most densely populated; because of how restricted it is geographically, it's one of those cities that has to grow up, not out," Josh added. "It's why my Gym is on the city line; the actual Racing Grounds are technically in the country and not the city. As for a resolution of my own? Mine is something I've struggled with for years: to stop being so hard on myself."

Josh guffawed when he heard Lou's remark about picking the wrong region. "And that's just one. There are so many of them in Hoenn that I've been able to go riding on three different ones before. And counting. Never a dull moment here, I tell you what."

1st QTR 7:48
WYN 7
GOL 0
3rd DOWN & 3
BALL: Wyndon 38

{WC: 218}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

Wytch

Lou
She/her
May 12
Cianwood City
Lesbian
Personal Trainer
Civillian
awards
15 posts
part of
TAG WITH @louise
louise heidrich
POSTED ON Feb 1, 2023 19:20:38 GMT
louise heidrich Avatar
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]Lou shrugged. “It’s all team sports, really. The idea that an athlete does everything on their own is… an illusion, I guess.” Trainers and coaches and doctors and managers.

She doesn’t miss the clutter.

When he shares his resolution, she raises her drink.

“To keeping them, then.”

The way he talked about his Gym almost made her wish she was doing the gym challenge. Almost.

“Three legendaries?” She pulls a face. “That’s not reassuring. Maybe it’s not too late to move to Alola.” It’s a joke. Mostly.

[attr="class","montag"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2023 4:43:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh raised his glass of lemonade to toast with Lou as their server arrived to take their order. "I'll have the Full Moon Steakburger, medium well, no lettuce or tomato, please." The Gym Leader turned to Lou. "Do you want to split a cheese curd appetizer, too? They have this zesty dipping sauce I wanna try. Normally I try to watch what I eat a little better, but it's a special occasion. If you don't want it, I can always take half of it home."

Regardless, once their orders were both placed, Josh would listen to the woman's concerns. "As someone who studied the Johto Beasts and Unova's Sacred Swords a ton when I was younger, it's been amazing to meet them. Virizion and Raikou are unbelievably fast. Riding them across Hoenn was an absolutely unforgettable experience. Humbling, too, especially Raikou. Raikou's been my favorite--"

A roar from the bar's patrons drowned out their conversation as an excited announcer covered a play that made Josh double fistpump: "Pass is caught in the end zone! Touchdown Goldenrod, no flag! I think Wyndon was looking for offensive pass interference on that one." The extra point went through the uprights as well, tying the game at 7.

The two teams exchanged three-and-out possessions as the first quarter came close to winding down. "Like I was saying, Raikou has been my favorite Pokémon since I was a child."

1st QTR 2:40
WYN 7
GOL 7
1st DOWN & 10
BALL: Wyndon 31

{WC: 235}
{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

Wytch

Lou
She/her
May 12
Cianwood City
Lesbian
Personal Trainer
Civillian
awards
15 posts
part of
TAG WITH @louise
louise heidrich
POSTED ON Feb 4, 2023 17:10:12 GMT
louise heidrich Avatar
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]Lou smiles and her eyes trail off down the bar. This kid has so much energy, it’s kind of insane. He expresses his own frustrations with Hoenn import rules and she decides to leave it at that.

“That’s odd. You can find both of those Pokemon here in the region, I think?” she ventures, folding the napkin again. “Why would they stop you from bringing them in?”

[attr="class","montag"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Feb 5, 2023 3:00:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"If it's anything like the other places I've been watching the PFL postseason, you won't be disappointed," Josh promised to Lou as he listened to her story about her Machamp. "Oh, don't even get me started about Hoennian customs. I have a Rapidash, Persian, and Floatzel ready for me to ride again, but they've been ping-ponging between Johtonian and Hoennian customs for months. It's beyond frustrating." It had to sound unusual to someone not familiar with very large or even Alpha Pokémon, but yes, his Persian was a racing Pokémon. He was named Herc for a reason.

As the first quarter was wrapping up, Josh let out a loud "No!" after a Goldenrod defender wrapped his hand around the arm of Wyndon's wide receiver, drawing a penalty flag. As the referees convened to discuss the flag, the broadcast replayed the long pass to the end zone. "Ugh, you can't do that," Just sighed. "You can't substantially impede the receiver's ability to catch a pass. That's a penalty." The ruling on the field was disappointing but unsurprising:

"Pass interference, defense number 60. The foul occurred in the end zone. The ball will be placed at the 1 yard line. First down."

1st QTR 0:02
WYN 7
GOL 7
1st DOWN & GOAL
BALL: Goldenrod 1

{WC: 202}
{PC: 6}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Komainu       Houndoom       Good
Saber         Manectric      Good
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Tiamat        Dragonite      Good
Basil         Leafeon        Good
Pinky         Sylveon        Good
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,943 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON May 6, 2023 22:34:09 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: