Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
Civilian of dubious means
If you want to be strong, learn to fight alone!
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 23, 2023 1:46:36 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
How did this happen? An affluent person in Mauville was having their prized Magikarp taken from their pond, and Asher was up for the challenge. He sold the guy on using Kracken, his golden Magikarp, as bait, then using Chinny the Chinchou to fry them. Whoever the client was (Asher never heard of them), they had ties to Rocket somehow, seeing as he saw it on the mission board. Still, the red head managed to instill at least some confidence into the client. But not as much as he thought initially when they said that they were still bringing someone in. What he didn't expect was the gym leader to be called in. The same one that caught the kid stealing wallets in a festival in Slateport, and tried to apprehend him. Only to get beaten down and the  teenager on the run. He really hoped the guy didn't recognize him, though the look on his face showed the he knew Josh and really didn't want him to be there.

Glaring at nothing in particular, he released Kracken into the pond for him to explain to the others what was happening. The predations seemed to be happening in the middle of the night, so they had at least a little bit of time to figure out a plan of action beyond Asher's little trap. "So, got any other ideas beyond my bait and switch plan?" And hopefully not asking anything about himself.

PESKY PESCATARIAN mission
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 23, 2023 21:35:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There would be cause for concern if Josh were to recognize the person that he would be working with in recovering LENA FITZGERALD's Magikarp taken from her residential pond on the northeast side of Mauville City. Months ago, he and the young teen had an altercation with one another. He was one tough kid, too, having gone toe-to-toe with a Minor League Gym Leader.

Thankfully for Asher, so much time had passed and he had seen so many challengers upon being promoted to the Major League that Josh did not recognize him whatsoever. Astride his Vaporeon, the Master of Faster rode up to his coworker's residence and knocked, dismounting the water-type. Lena answered the door and directed her boss to the pond where the thievery had been taking place. "Good evening!" he stretched his hand to greet the young teen and offer a handshake. "Gym Leader Josh Devlin. I'll be working with you today alongside Kairi. She's my Vaporeon here. Mind giving me your name?" Kairi cutely flicked her long tail back and forth.

Regardless of whether Asher accepted his handshake, Josh got to work removing his mount's saddle and reins. "Kairi here can be our little spy. She's invisible in the water, so she'd be great in following our perpetrator. The client is one of my coworkers - she's a stage manager at my Gym."

{WC: 225}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Kairi          Vaporeon        Good
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 24, 2023 1:45:29 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
There would be a small sigh of relief that the guy didn't recognize Asher. Yet. The red head tentatively took the hand for a handshake, but the Chinchou and golden Magicarp could tell it was a bit forced. "Asher Baran. Chinny is the Chinchou and Kracken is the Magicarp." The boy nodded at the Vaporeon. He...wasn't a fan. Flareon would have been a much better choice. Or the cool Espeon or Umbreon. But whatever. The gym leader started to take off the saddle from the frankly overly huge Vaporeon. That...kind of reminded him of Frou-Frou, his own overly large Pokemon. Though she was a Rapidash, not an Eeveelution.

The modified plan included using Kairi as a spy, since she turns invisible in the water. Evidently the client is a coworker of his. Interesting...wonder if the guy knew that she had contacts within Rocket? That was how he found out about this little job. "So what's the point of the spy? I figured we'd take down the culprit right then and there. The other feesh were likely dead or eaten." Chinny plopped themselves into a pot of water that was under a table. Unless for some reason they all thought the culprit was human. Asher doubted it though.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 24, 2023 16:59:53 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While Josh was technically the lead on the operation, he was certainly open to suggestions. "Great to meet you, Asher! Ah, a Chinchou! I have a Lanturn back at the Gym, a little bigger than Kairi. She doesn't see as much action at my Gym as I'd like, due to how few challengers are comfortable with an aquatic race. She mostly gets her time with me on undersea Ranger operations." He paused as Kairi slinked into the pond and disappeared from sight. "I'm also second-in-command with the Mauville Rangers."

One thing he had to work on if he wanted an audience with the Elite Four was avoiding jumping to conclusions, as had alluded to in his review. "Now I'm not saying she has to be idly observing, but I think remaining invisible in the water and figuring out how our attacker behaves is a better idea than simply going in guns blazing. I do like your idea of being a little more aggressive, though! Perhaps Kairi could be more of an ambush predator." Josh was no stranger to ambush predators; after all, one of his dreams was to raise an entire pride of Pyroar for his Gym!

{WC: 198}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 25, 2023 3:04:03 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher ignored the comment about a Lanturn and instead took interest in the Vaporeon going in the pond. Hopefully she doesn't mess up Kracken's cover. So not only a gym leader, but also a ranger. A second in command at that. Wonder if the dude got stronger since they last met, since the red red did kind of beat him up rather easily. "I'm just a kid doing this for some extra cash." Granted, much more legally compared to last time. Again. The idea of an ambush predator did give him pause. He was hoping to use Kracken's Bounce attack to get away, Chinny use Discharge, and the golden Magikarp finish off whatever or whoever was stealing the 'karp.

But did Chinny have the precision to use Electro Ball instead? They weren't that fast, so its power was something he'd be worried about, but if Vaporeon added on an attack or two, and Kracken? Perhaps..."If she can get in an extra attack or two, it might be fine. I was originally going to have Chinny use Discharge, but that doesn't have precision. So Electro Ball it is, might have that Vaporeon be wary of that. Kracken knows Bounce, so assuming they're the one that gets caught, he can get out of the way of any attacks and then finish the culprit off on the return." And hopefully the culprit was rather weak for a quick cash bounty. Until then, maybe some exploration to see where this thief was coming from would be good...

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 26, 2023 0:53:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Money made sense for the young one; while he didn't have the money of a business executive, he was fairly well off. As long as he wasn't extravagant, budget was not an issue for him. "Don't blame you there," the Gym Leader made small talk while their Pokémon assembled and started getting into position. "Nothing wrong with a little extra spending money. I hope you get yourself something nice with it! I'm just doing this to help a coworker out. She helps make the livestreams at my Gym possible."

Josh listened to Asher's battle plan, and it sounded like a solid one! "Sounds like you have the actual catch handled! I could have Kairi use her Water Pulse not to attack, but to push the culprit into your little trap. Keeps her out of the way of the Electro Ball, too." That last bit was most important; if she were exposed to an electric attack beneath the waves, the cry she would let out would certainly blow her cover, and any number of things could go wrong in the ensuing chaos.

{WC: 182}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 26, 2023 20:19:50 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Yeah, that wasn't the only reason he needed the cash. But sure, let's allow the gym leader to think that. The additional part may be good. Both Chinny and Kracken glubbed and screed in affirmation at the semi-new plan. Now it was just waiting. One of the perks now of having a stable home of sorts was that he was able to at least get some electronics instead of focusing all the money he got on food. Taking out a phone, he decided to do some research on the man. Ash even saw some gym battles, including a blonde haired guy using a Miltank, Walrein, and Houndoom against him. It looked well fought, but Asher wasn't that much of a battler. He could hold his own, but looking through more battles and some races, if he and Josh got into it, he'd lose.

Before they all knew it, it was night time. Asher hung out behind some bushes, Chinny still under a small table in a pot, just his lights were out. Kracken was swimming with the other Magikarp, standing out like a sore thumb. The amber eyed teenager scanned the surroundings. Still nothing. Until a shadow darted across. Found'em! But he waited, seeing what the culprit will do next. The trap was set, just how was the guy going to trip it? Or was he going to recognize something was wrong and try to flee?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 27, 2023 6:43:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh continued making small talk with Asher until nightfall, describing some of his favorite Pokémon to him, including the Pokémon he happened to use against him during their last meeting. Some of his favorites seemed to be his complete set of Pokémon that evolve from Eevee, all of sizes that were near the maximum that breeders managed to get the species to. It was consistent with the giant Pokémon that appeared in distortions from time to time. Those red-eyed Pokémon were something else. Their aggression was terrifying and fascinating, and it showed even after the Pokémon was caught.

At last night fell, Josh hiding on the side of the pond opposite from Asher. Josh would have recognized the Frogadier dashing about the pond in conditions with better light, but not in the middle of the night! It got close enough for the hidden Asher to possibly recognize before sprinting away once more, eyes shifting and assessing his environment. One thing was clear: this Pokémon was not wild. No wild Frogadier would be this methodical. Its trainer had to be nearby, but where?

{WC: 189}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2023 3:43:44 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher watched. It was a Frogadier. And it was methodical. Even he knew that a wild Pokemon wasn't normally that observant. Or cautious. The frog slipped in silent as can be. When it came out, a sleeping Kracken was in its arms. Only...for Kracken to wake up, immediately know what was happening, and Bounced up and away from the water type. Chinny then made their debut, firing off an Electro Ball at the confused frog. But the damn thing was a ninja! And avoided the ball of lightning quick as lightning! And avoided the Bounce! The Pokemon started to run, but Asher wasn't giving up! Returning both Pokemon, the red head followed. A teenager he may be, but he was quick on his feet and very active. Though Josh may have an advantage due to longer limbs and more general muscle...

Ash kept a good eye on the water-type, eventually following it to an apartment. "Sooo that plan didn't go well. How do you want to do this?" He had his oddly colored Alolan Marowak, Bones, with him. Even though the Frogadier would have an advantage, Bones was tough and strong. He half wondered what Josh would want to do. The door hadn't opened yet, but they better make a decision quick before that happens...

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Feb 28, 2023 21:02:24 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Kairi's WATER PULSE to corral the Frogadier toward Asher's Pokémon ended in failure. The apartment complex the indoor pond was in was quite large, giving the Frogadier plenty of room to run. There were, however, a limited number of paths within the complex. Josh sent out more of his Eevee family Pokémon: a Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, and Sylveon, all geared for carrying their trainer, or any other rider for that matter. The complex was sprawling enough to require all five for sufficient coverage.

"Scatter and cover the exits. We're gonna pincer this Frogadier to where it can't escape," Josh suggested. The hallways were wide enough for the Pokémon to run comfortably, despite their great size, yet not so wide and tall that Josh would be able to be on one of them. He would have to make his pursuit on foot. All but the Jolteon did as asked, Blinky instead stayed near him. She would attempt to tase the Frogadier with THUNDER WAVE when ordered to, which would in theory let Asher and Josh apprehend the culprit with as little violence as possible.

{WC: 187}
{PC: 5}

Blinky         Jolteon         Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
Kamuy          Umbreon         Good
Basil          Leafeon         Good
Pinky          Sylveon         Good
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Mar 1, 2023 2:02:07 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Well, that wasn't completely bad. There could be alternative exits to the apartments. Still, the area could hardly be considered on lockdown. The Jolteon stayed. The boy could guess why. The blue creature knocked on the door. And that's when Jolteon made its move. The door opened, and Ash rushed towards it, barely managing to slide to block the door from closing with a yelp. His arm was going to bruise most likely, but Josh could then go in and apprehend the owner. The red head, for his part, released Bones, his oddly colored Alolan Marowak, to keep guard over the Frogadier. Rubbing his arm, he went inside and looked around. Fish tanks, with the missing, prized Magikarp.

They appeared to be in good health too. Ash followed the voices, and found the guy sniveling and groveling at Josh's feet. The man looked familiar enough. It dawned on him on who he was. Some minor tech geek at Sootopolis who works with Team Rocket. He gave Ash the rundown on cell phones and was quite helpful. The guy was resisting as much as he could, but there at the end, admitted that he was with Team Rocket. The poor guy was a mess. Sighing heavily, he stepped in. "Hey man, we'll just take the 'Karp back. You can leave. Tell your client or boss that you failed the mission, but managed a clean getaway. Bones will let you collect your Frogadier." Amber eyes stared at Josh's face, daring the man to challenge him on this. Ash was not going to let up easily on this point.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Mar 1, 2023 18:37:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Asher could tell that Josh was internally screaming after hearing the thief was associated with Team Rocket. It took significant effort, and thoughts drifting back to what and had talked to him about, to avoid going ballistic on the Team Rocket member responsible for the Magikarp heist. If he was paying attention, Asher would be able to notice the tension in his body language, as well as his voice when he spoke.

"And you better make it quick, too," Josh threatened the grunt. "I've got a very short fuse with Team Rocket. They tried to take my family for me, and they took my dream from me," he added with a stern voice. "Return the Magikarp to its owner, and Bones here will let you recall your Frogadier, just like the young man said. And no funny business. Got it? Don't test me. As fast as your Frogadier is, you won't outrun us. Trust me." The threats indeed got the small-time criminal to back down.

Once the Frogadier and trainer had scampered off, Josh raised a hand to give Asher a high five. "I'd say that's mission accomplished. Gonna go back to HQ and deliver my report. I'm sure Lena will be happy to hear it was the two of us that saved the day!"

{WC: 217}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Mar 2, 2023 2:13:02 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Asher saw the tenseness and put his hand on his tanto dagger. Amber eyes stayed locked on even after the guy scurried off. "Not to poke at a sore spot, but not all Rockets are murderers, kidnappers, and whatever else. Some just got no faith in the League's systems due to one reason or another. Some felt that the League abandoned them, or didn't do a good enough job vetting those in some of their systems. And more. Everyone has their reasons. Don't get me wrong, there are some horrid people in the organization, but not everyone is." Taking a few steps back, he kept a stern look. He didn't know how the man will react to him saying this. But might as well come clean as well. "Let's take me as an example. I'm a runaway because my parents played favorites with me and my twin brother. I stowed away when I got sick of their treatment, and stayed in Slateport, working when I got discovered. I literally lived on the streets, a petty thief, just to survive, and doing some small time jobs on the side, anything to earn a buck to buy food for my Pokemon or myself. I've heard tons about the League's foster system and orphanages. And not a thing good about them either. When I got the opportunity for a better life, I took it. Amazing what you can do and focus on when you don't have to worry about food or shelter.

That guy that you scared off? He's a minor guy in the IT department, who helped me pick out my snazzy new phone. His story is simple. If I remember right, his ex took him for a ride, destroyed his life. And the League did jack shit. Rocket came in and swooped him up, giving him a job and the tools needed to rebuild his life. In the end, sure, we're still criminals, but we all have our reasons for joining. So don't be so quick to judge us."
With that, he risked turning his back to Josh and started to walk away, Bones giving the gym leader a look.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Mar 2, 2023 18:26:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Once the culprit had fled, Josh's Eeveelutions gathered near him again, Janus and Kamuy especially attentive. He paid heed to Asher's words. This was not the first time he had heard about poor, misunderstood souls at the bottom of Team Rocket. was like this, too: his would-be "assassin" that was simply trying to teach him this hard truth.

Josh's eyes began to water as Asher told his story; he did not notice any attempt at deceit, if an attempt was even being made. The young man's story seemed genuine. None of these were problems Josh ever had; he even had significant money for luxuries when his racing career really took off. And now, as a Gym Leader, he was comfortably rich, though still not wealthy.

Food and shelter were things he absolutely took for granted. And yet he couldn't accept everything Asher had to say in silence.

"...I don't envy you in the slightest, Asher," Josh admitted. "I've heard horror stories about how tough it is being at the bottom of Rocket, like there's a knife pointed at your neck every single day." He breathed a deep sigh. "And yet... do you know what it's like to lose someone close to you? Before the war, Team Rocket very nearly took my family away from me. And now, with this damn war, they've taken my god away from me. They've taken Raikou away from me."

It was crystal clear that Josh was passionate about Raikou; Josh's pursuit of Raikou was by now well-known. "I'm starting to understand it's the bigwigs and not you. But I implore you: things are getting worse, fast. You need to get out of there before you get caught up in a storm you can't escape. If it's just a job you need, have you thought about applying at Mauville Racing Grounds? We're hiring for most positions."

{WC: 311}
{PC: 7}

NAME           SPECIES          STATUS
close tab

played by

Jun

Blaze, Ash
He/Him
July 15
Hau'oli City
Experimenting, but boys.
Petty Thief/odd jobs kid
awards
245 posts
Asher Baran DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pokejun3
Asher Baran
Blazing Glory! (mission)
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2023 0:06:22 GMT
Asher Baran Avatar
Ash saw the man get tears in his eyes. Well, that's a point for the gym leader. "Maybe it's because I'm a kid, but I don't feel like I have a knife at my neck everyday. I only do jobs as part of my deal with the organization. Both legal and not so legal. Admittedly, I'm a thief, and that's where I go. If I do assault someone, it's to knock out. I may have a Tanto, but I don't intend and hope I never have to use it for real. The only person that cared about me was my Grandpa, who past away a long time ago. Now? Only another one similar to me, but with more patience and waited till he was eighteen to leave, is who I consider a brother. if you're curious. I do ask if you ever arrest him to try to take it easy on him. I would try to burn down entire towns if something happened to him, I'm pissed enough that he lost an eye on Mt. Pyre." He risked Isaac's name.

The boy didn't have a comment about Raikou, whatever Pokemon that was. He was from Alola after all. "Isaac said much the same. Told me to keep an ear out. Which is...surprisingly easy? I get I'm not the tallest of people out there, but my hair is red red. I should stick out like a sore thumb. I am small enough where I do help out with maintenance every so often, dealing with small spaces. We'll see what happens. Sorry to say, though, it's more than just jobs. Shelter, food, place for my Pokemon...I wouldn't mind learning to ride since I got a Rapidash myself...a gigantic one that very much fits the Alphas you spoke of earlier. Even if she is a pain in the ass. Although...we have met before...you caught me stealing wallets and yeah...I did kick your butt at the time and managed to leave. But I don't think I can win in a Pokemon battle now...based on the footage I was watching when you were talking. I'm also more interested in Pokemon Contests...so yeah.

I certainly agree that it is some of the bigwigs. The one exception I would make is my recruiter. He's a killer, sure, but I also get the vibe that he's doing it more than just for the usual criminal reasons. I don't know...I may need to hang out with him more or keep an ear out better about him..."
If nothing else, Ash did know how to survive...and when to jump ship.