6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
(Champion Assessment) Weight of the Elite
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2023 16:47:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had been declined for the Elite Test twice now. had declined him for his lack of battle skills. had praised his battle skills and his work ethic, but could not approve him for the Elite Test on his emotional instability. Through trying circumstances that made Josh question his fealty to the League, as well as his restitution, the Gym Leader had spent long hours thinking about both their words. Thankfully, Callan didn't know too many details at the time of their interview, otherwise he may have forbade the Master of Faster from interviewing with other members of the Elite Four, as well.

He wondered what Matias and Callan thought of his sidestepping of them, choosing to have his third interview be with Melody instead. The two had a working relationship from the Ranger-like tasks they had completed together, such as saving Christmas for an Oldale Town district. This would be his last easy chance, though. was still a mystery to Josh.

He had only brought one Pokémon with him to Melody's office. The Gym Leader knocked on the Idol's door, ready for his appointment to begin. When the door opened, the standing Elite Four member would see the Master of Faster next to a saddle-wearing Zeraora that stood on all fours rather than just his hind legs. It was unusual for the species, but not unheard of!

{WC: 232}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Raikiri       Zeraora        Good
close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Mar 11, 2023 7:09:08 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","Melodypog3"]
[attr="class","Melodypog3-big-img"]

[attr="class","Melodypog3-1"]
[attr="class","Melodypog3-title"]
MORE HUMAN[break]THAN HUMAN

[attr="class","Melodypog3-tagged"]

[attr="class","Melodypog3-subtitle"]
If it’s war that you want then you got it. If it’s pain well I brought what you need.

[attr="class","Melodypog3-pkmn"]

[attr="class","Melodypog3-post"]

[attr="class","Melodypog3-icon"]

So she had to conduct it this time around huh? [break][break]

She was gonna be honest, she was probably going to make for a horrid judge. She had met several times already so she had a pretty good idea of who he was as a person...but why did and fail him at the exam? [break][break]

They had their reasons as there was a write up for the interview but that didn't feel like a full picture of the man. She'd find out for herself if he was a good candidate. [break][break]

As Josh entered her Elite chamber, he'd be able to see the theme of her room, A small white table sat in the middle, more like a small little tea table she had set up with tea time snacks as Melody was conducting the interview during lunch time. "Josh! You made it! Come in come in!" she says waving himside. [break][break]

The entire room was a blank space besides the Piano on her side of the room and all four walls being covered in a waterfall that was reflective. "So you're doing the champ assessment interview thingie right?" she asks as Melody was extremel informal.

[attr="class","Melodypog3-bot-1"]

notes about this post

Notes go here
[attr="class","Melodypog3-bot"]

[googlefont=Poppins:700,800][googlefont=Hind:400,700][googlefont=VT323:400]
[newclass=.Melodypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Melodypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Melodypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Melodypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Melodypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#e1716b;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Melodypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Melodypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Melodypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Melodypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Melodypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#e1716b!important; }.Melodypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Melodypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Melodypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Melodypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Melodypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Melodypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Melodypog3-post i { color:#72b4ff; }.Melodypog3-post b { color:#e1716b;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Melodypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Melodypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Melodypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#e1716b;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#e1716b!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2023 4:48:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Melody's office was gorgeous-looking; it was much more elaborate that either Matias' or Callan's office. Sure, each member of the Elite Four had their own personality, and almost assuredly had the latitude to deviate some, but surely there was a standard set of criteria that the four of them had to use, right?

He surely wouldn't walk out without a pass to take the Elite Test for the third time, would he?

Melody seemed far more relaxed and less imposing than either of the other two members of the Elite Four. That already calmed his nerves. Being around Raikiri helped, too. He had chosen the name because of how close it was to Raikou. To him, the Zeraora may as well have been Raikou. The thundercat stretched, walking past Melody curiously before sitting down next to Josh. Sparks flew from the electric-type's head as Josh rubbed his Pokémon there gently, the striped feline nuzzling him before sitting down next to his trainer.

"Great to see you again, Melody!" Josh greeted the performer. "That's exactly what I'm here for." Raikiri sounded a purr of acknowledgment, though the waterfalls may have drowned it out. "I'm ready to begin when you are." He presented Melody with the seven Gym Badges he had obtained throughout the course of the Gym Challenge, including his own Quick Badge.

{WC: 223}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2023 3:20:17 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]

If it’s war that you want then you got it. If it’s pain well I brought what you need.

She picked up the papers and stacked them onto the table. "Oh yeah sorry I was just reviewing Matias and Callan's assessments of you. I was waiting for you to arrive to do this." she says as Melody was about to show Josh why she was known as the Eccentric Diva of Sootopolis. [break][break]

"Calcifer!" she says as she calls out a pokeball and an Alolan marowak. "Burn it." she orders as the marowak spirts several fireballs at the pieces of paper burning it up in an instant. [break][break]

As the cinders fall to the floor, Melody would lean over the table and grin as the cinders piled onto the floor. "I wanted you to know what I thought of their opinions. What do you have to say?" she asks as the camera in was never turned on and Melody leans back in her chair with her arms crossed.

notes about this post

Notes go here

[newclass=.Melodypog3]background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:25px;border:solid 3px #363636;border-radius:10px;width:500px;margin:25px auto;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right;}.Melodypog3-big-img { height:0px;mix-blend-mode:lighten; }.Melodypog3-big-img img { height:250px;width:325px;margin:-25px 0px 0px 200px;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px; }.Melodypog3-1 { position:relative;min-height:400px;border-radius:5px;padding:34px; }.Melodypog3-title { font:800 40px Poppins;line-height:35px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#e1716b;width:165px;overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;letter-spacing:-.35px; }.Melodypog3-title div { position:absolute;margin-top:-70px;overflow:hidden;margin-left:165px;color:#2b2b2b;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #eeeeee; }.Melodypog3-title div span { display:block;margin-left:-165px; }.Melodypog3-tagged { background-color:#272727;padding:0px 9px;height:28px;border:solid 1px #232323;overflow:hidden;border-radius:5px;margin:15px 285px 17px 0px;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;text-transform:uppercase;text-align:center;letter-spacing:.35px; }.Melodypog3-tagged a { font:800 10px Poppins!important;line-height:28px!important;text-decoration:none;color:#999999!important;display:block;transition:.3s all; }.Melodypog3-tagged a:hover { color:#e1716b!important; }.Melodypog3-subtitle { padding-right:285px;font:bold 10px Hind;line-height:10px;text-align:justify;color:#606060;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.5px; }.Melodypog3-pkmn { margin:30px 0px 25px 0px;display:grid;grid-template-columns:auto auto auto auto auto auto;gap:10px;width:100%; }.Melodypog3-pkmn div { border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#272727;height:60px;border-radius:5px;display:flex;flex-direction:column;align-items:center;justify-content:center;cursor:pointer; }.Melodypog3-pkmn div img { display:block;transition:.3s all;filter:grayscale(100%) contrast(75%); }.Melodypog3-pkmn div:hover img { filter:grayscale(0%) contrast(100%); }.Melodypog3-post { color:#dbdbdb;font:12px Hind;line-height:19px;letter-spacing:.25px;text-align:justify; }.Melodypog3-post i { color:#72b4ff; }.Melodypog3-post b { color:#e1716b;font:700 12px Poppins;line-height:17px; }.Melodypog3-icon { float:left; padding:14px;border:solid 1px #232323;background-color:#303030;height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:5px;margin:0px 25px 5px 0px; }.Melodypog3-icon img { height:80px;width:80px;border-radius:3px;}.Melodypog3-bot { height:109px;width:109px;padding:0px 0px 26px 26px;background-color:#2b2b2b;border-radius:0px 10px 0px 10px;margin:-110px 0px -25px -25px;display:flex;justify-content:center;align-items:center;color:#dbdbdb;font-size:45px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 { margin-top:30px;font:12px Hind;line-height:16px;color:#dbdbdb;height:75px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 h1 { margin:0px;border:solid 1px #232323;border-radius:5px;background-color:#272727;font:800 10px Poppins;line-height:10px;padding:9px;color:#e1716b;text-transform:uppercase;letter-spacing:.35px;max-width:fit-content;margin-bottom:10px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 div { height:49px;overflow:auto;text-align:justify;padding-right:15px;color:#a3a3a3;text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #2b2b2b; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar { background:transparent!important;border:none!important;width:8px; }.Melodypog3-bot-1 div::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background-color:#e1716b!important;border:solid 1px #232323!important;border-radius:5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2023 17:58:11 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Josh took a seat near Melody, he and Raikiri looked wide-eyed at the singer's drastic demonstration with her Marowak. "Finally, someone who gets it," Josh sighed. "I'm happy to see someone at last sees the conflicting assessments of and . Don't get me wrong, I'm friends with both of them. Good friends, even. But they let their prejudice blind themselves to perfectly good candidates."

The thing that irked Josh most about his interview with Matias was the sole reason of his declination, on account of 's Gym being "easy". It was belittling to him. All of Hoenn's Gym Leaders were tested rigorously and had to uphold the same standards. Standards Melody, Callan, and even had helped Josh get his own Gym in compliance with when he struggled.

"Matias declined me for losing to Cian the first time I went to Rustboro Gym, despite me having the necessary Badges. Just because in his eyes, Rustboro is supposed to be the introductory Gym. Here's the thing, though." He shook his fist, his body language indicative of the passion of his dissent. "There are so many different battle styles out there. Every style has its weaknesses. Even yours. Even 's. That's the philosophy behind letting challengers pick which six Gyms they want to challenge." Still, he had reason to; the loss to Cian pointed out a flaw in my battle style that needed to be addressed. It has since.

Josh continued, starting to shake. It was clear he was still in control of his emotions, though barely so. "Callan found completely different reasons for declination, and ones that have nothing to do with me. Ultimately, it seems he disapproves with my disposition toward Team Rocket, and emotional factors. I don't disagree that on that day, I was not in control of my emotions. He had every right to decline me, with one exception."

Another deep sigh. "Matias declined me for inadequate battle skill alone. Callan called me out on exemplary battle skill, but declined me over what feels like a sociopolitical disagreement. Don't get wrong, he makes very valid points for self-improvement. But why gate access to the Elite Test behind political disposition? And why did Matias brush it off when I mentioned my views on Team Rocket? I don't get why he thinks only those with certain political opinions should be allowed to take the Elite Test."

{WC: 398}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2023 2:58:06 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]

@tag

"Ah well in truth." she says as she leans back "I just don't care for their opinions, well Callan I do occasionally as I trust him. Matias can suck a dick if he disagrees with me." [break][break]

She was still on the road to forgiveness, random spikes of annoyance or anger were justified when she read something really dumb, right? Not like it'd matter very soon as the ship had holes in it.[break][break]

She puts up a finger however to pause him "hold on now, put yourself in our shoes Josh. , a former gym leader has been revealed to have been a rocket gym leader. My own cousin, glitch maverick was a rocket as well. That's the point of these assessments, we don't want people who are meant to be shining examples of a trainer, to be people who support our enemies that lie, cheat, steal and kill." he says as she pours him a small glass of coffee into the tea cup. [break][break]

His reflection staring back at him from the inky blackness of the tea set as she poured milk from a small little ceramic into her cup. "But that is the reality of our situation josh, we are at WAR with team rocket. While Callan disapproves of your hate for team rocket, I approve of it, applaud it even." [break][break]

"Yet despite all the roadblocks you continued to face, you applied a third time. Why?"

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2023 16:03:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Such foul language! Melody being willing to use foul language on what Josh assumed was a recorded interview caused Josh to visibly relax. She was one of those people who didn't beat around the bush, and Josh liked that about her.

Josh stopped himself from speaking when Melody said her peace about Team Rocket. Her perspective on Team Rocket seemed to be a happy medium between Callan's emphasis on forgiveness and due process for even the most vile criminals such as , and Matias' scorched-earth, damn-them-all outlook toward the syndicate. It aligned with Josh's view on them.

"No, I agree with you," Josh nodded, Raikiri also nodding in understanding. How intelligent was this strange and rare Pokémon? "There should be close scrutiny. Criminal history should be evaluated, of course; if someone has a crime for which they haven't been rehabilitated from and done restitution for, then of course they should not be considered for the rank of Champion."

Josh rubbed his watering eyes. "Even I don't have a perfect record. I'm sure you've been looped in on the conversation I had with Councilwoman , and the report about my altercation with . That one that only top League personnel are privy to. You see, Melody, I used to think just like Matias. I thought that Team Rocket needed to not just be disbanded, but burned to the ground. The lowly grunt just as guilty as its boss." Several names came to mind. . . . . None of those people deserved to go down with the ship that was Team Rocket.

He needed to get those people, and more people like them, out, before AQUA dropped the Legendary equivalent of a nuclear weapon on Sootopolis City.

"Going after and beating her within an inch of her life on a simple apprehension is the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. I am sure you are aware that even if I were to pass the Champion Assessment, the title will not be recognized until my restitution for that act has been completed. And I accept that. I've already turned my Beedrill over to the League, and my expectation is he will never be returned to me."

He continued with his rambling. "There are all kinds of people like and that were, and still are, trapped within Team Rocket. I know it sounds like I'm being overly empathetic, but... I know several genuinely nice people within Rocket, and I want to do what I can to get them out of there. It was at my hearing with Elinor that I truly became aware of the difference between Rocket the people and Rocket the organization."

He shook his head, getting back on topic. "Sorry I went off on a tangent. But the reason for my persistence is this. Did I tell you I met up with and got to ride his Raikou-familiar?" He showed Melody a photo Kyle had took of him seated on the legendary electric tiger. "That day, I found out that Team Rocket not only nearly took my family from me, but in the war, they took Raikou from me. And ultimately, that's what drove me to attack . I lost my mind, and I wanted answers. I'm still looking for answers. To chase Raikou for twelve years, only to found out that Team Rocket killed him over five years ago... it felt like watching your mom or dad die. Or your brother."

He took a deep breath. "Ultimately, my motivation to become a Champion is to avenge my family for what Team Rocket did to them. And avenge Raikou. More than anything else, I wanted to serve the League's AQUA Initiative by meeting, befriending, and riding Raikou. Team Rocket has denied me that chance. So I want to do the next best thing: earn the League's trust on their most important operations by proving myself among their best fighters. Personal glory is not the point. It's a side benefit, yes, but not the point. Those responsible at the highest levels for killing Raikou... must pay the ultimate price. And I want to do my part to ensure that happens." There was lightning in the Mauville Leader's eyes: a sign his words couldn't be any more genuine and serious.

{WC: 715}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2023 2:30:20 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]

"Nope!" She declares "I had no idea that happen with ." she said as Melody hadn't laid blame to Josh on what happen, she knew Eris could be a handle full, the girl tried to kill Melody when she snapped. [break][break]

Melody stay silent during his entire tangent, this was his interview after all. But Melody disliked such a long answer as it made it harder for her to follow along to his story.[break][break]

But at the end of his tangent he got to his point, he wanted to become a champion to avenge his family and the legendary creature he lusted for. She lifted the cup to her lips and took a silent sip of her coffee tea cup. "Hmmmm. I believe you're telling me the truth as we've talked about this previously." as she lowered the glass onto the plate as it clinked and cleared the air for her next statement. [break][break]

"We're quite similar at least in our regards for how we view rocket. I don't value family as much as you do which I guess is a bad quality on my part." as she could barely call the woman who birthed her...'mother'. "Very well. I'll accept that answer." she says as it was not her place to judge how intrinsic or altruistic his motivations are. [break][break]

"What do you think a person who achieves champion rank should represent? Do you embody those same traits?"

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2023 14:02:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Melody's question was simple. It was one he was asked in both his previous encounters with Hoenn's Elite Four, and one he had a well-practiced answer to by now. The lightning in his eyes was unrelenting. It was clear his passion for Pokémon was there. "There are three traits a Champion of any region, but especially Hoenn, needs to possess above all else. The first is unerring, unwavering fealty to the ideals of the region they are Championing. This does not mean unconditional and blind fealty to the region, but their loyalty does need to be in line with the will of the Council. A Champion must ultimately be loyal to the region they are a Champion of, and willing to serve the public of that region. Hoenn, in its current state, could well be the single most dangerous region to be a Champion of, as that involves putting one's life on the line due to the ongoing war with Team Rocket."

He paused to let Melody take in the mouthful he had just sad to her. "Second, a Champion must be a mentor for the next generation. While they should strive to improve the skills of all the region's trainers that come to them for help, it is especially important for improving the skills of their region's Gym Leaders. I speak from personal experience, and this is experience you may be familiar with. Remember the trouncing you gave me when I first opened Mauville Racing Grounds?" He waited for Melody to respond before continuing. "It was a humbling experience, and I didn't at first know who to reach out to. All roads led to , and my challenge of his Battle Arcade helped me out so much not only as a trainer, but as a person. It led to me getting to live part of my dream and riding on his Raikou-familiar's back. Sorry for the aside. Anyway, you know how Gym Leaders are responsible for cultivating the skills of trainers of their cities? Well, Champions should be responsible for making Gym Leaders, and even the Elite Four and other Champions of their region, reach their full potential as trainers."

Again, he paused to let Melody take in his words and thoughts. "Finally, a Champion needs to have a contagious, positive attitude with not only the motivation to improve the succeeding generation of trainers in their region, but also constant self-improvement. Self-perception and self-image are something that I've constantly struggled with as a result of my upbringing. My family paid for me to go to a religiously-affiliated school that taught self-deprecation for the benefit of others would be reciprocated in the next life. At a young age, I took that principle to heart, and have always held myself to a higher standard than my peers, to the point of putting undue stress on myself. I've become better at it over time, but improvement has been slow. Ultimately, my point is that a Champion's greatest duty is making the current and next generation of trainers, including oneself, to feel like the League sees them as invaluable, dependable assets."

{WC: 519}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Mar 24, 2023 1:52:34 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]

She pauses to hear everything he said. "Do you think you embody those ideals, Josh?" she says as he hadn't directly answered her question. [break][break]

However she slowly lifts up the cup to her mouth and took another drink before placing it back on the table. "I agree with some of what you said. But there's a problem with what you said." [break][break]

"By the logic you outlined, do you think then no one currently in the Elite 4 should become champion? What of Kyle?" she asks as she does not give him a chance to respond before she continues with a smile. "I mean, isn't the most positive person in the world, has disagreed with council decisions time and time again, what of him?"[break][break]

She grabbed one of the cookies, one side that is black and the other that was white, straight down the middle as the crumbs fell onto the beautiful lace table cloth. "What of me?"

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 24, 2023 14:24:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh didn't really know much about . The two had only met twice: first, at Josh's Gym when he was being evaluated at the end of his probationary period; and second, at the battle at the Pyre Rift, which was what ultimately prompted Kyle to bestow him with Raikiri. "I think those ideals are what Champions need to show they have a foundation in and strive to improve," Josh clarified. "Let me rephrase. I'm not saying that it's make-or-break for a Champion to follow those three ideals to perfection. The ideal Champion would. But if the League as an organization waits for the ideal Champion, they'll never find one. Those are just the three most important qualities a Champion should have from my perspective: loyalty to their region, leadership, and positivity."

He paused to gather his thoughts. " is more than worthy of the title of Champion. In addition to having the battle skills needed, he has all three of those qualities in spades. He is unerringly loyal to Hoenn, he personally helped me become the person I am today, and though he can be a skeptic, he is generally a positive force on Hoennians' lives on a daily basis. He isn't perfect. No one is. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a better Champion than him. That is why he is Top Champion."

"I will admit I have not been around Katherine too much," the Master of Faster continued. "But I've spent a lot of time around you, around , and around to understand in general what you're like. I would consider myself friends with all three of you. I do find it fascinating that you, Matias, and Callan all see different flaws in my way of thinking and my credentials as not only a Trainer, but as a person. Ultimately, that comes down to just being human. Different people will see people in different ways. Out of all the standing members of the Elite Four, I think you and Callan have the best chops for becoming Champions. I'm not saying Matias and Katherine should necessarily be excluded, but you two stand out in particular. You're great leaders, you're loyal to Hoenn, and you're an encouraging force to those around you."

The topic of disagreement with the Council came up. "I didn't mean to imply that a Champion needs to agree with absolutely every decision that comes out of the Council; as long as you have fealty to the region you are Championing, you are free to disagree with their decisions. As a leader, some of the most important feedback you can get are good dissenting opinions... as controversial as some of Matias' opinions can be." Even Raikiri was starting to look visibly nervous for Josh, afraid his subtle backpedaling he may not even realized he may have been doing was going to cause him to blow his chances at becoming a Champion.

"If I were Elite Four and I was sitting across from Matias, a big strike against approving him for the Elite Test would be his lack of acceptance... or perhaps even a lack of tolerance of dissenting positions, based on how he's acted around me. But that alone would not disqualify him in my eyes. You can still be loyal to the region and disagree with its leadership. As a Champion, your fealty is to the region, not the region's individual leaders."

Josh rolled back to Melody's initial question. "As for me? I put my life on the line for Hoenn at Meteno. I'm on a first-name basis with Councilwoman , who got me on the map in Hoenn in the first place. I've even emigrated from Johto completely now. My loyalty is fully with the Hoenn League now. Being a Gym Leader has taught me much about being a leader. After all, you can't say Gym Leader without the word 'leader'! And for positivity, there is a reason that when I withhold a Badge from a challenger and meet with them after their challenge, I always start with the challenger's strengths before I go into what can be improved upon. I'm not perfect, though. If there's one person I need to be more positive with, it's myself. I will admit, and I recognize, that I am one of the most self-critical people you will ever meet. But I feel I have improved enough that I acceptably meet these tenets. You can access my Gym records to verify if you need to."

{WC: 747}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2023 3:11:06 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]

"You certainly speak a mouth full, Josh." she says with a small spreading across her face. [break][break]

"I hope you know that this is mostly a formality from my end at least Josh. That's why the camera is off and im being so direct and casual with you. You've already passed in my opinion, I just want a better understanding of who you are." she says as she lifted her cup. [break][break]

"So no need to be so anxious, just tell me how you honestly feel. How you answer doesn't matter. Really, our time together doing missions told me more than enough I need to know about you." [break][break]

"So, tell me. How do you think you'll fare against the elite 4 and Kyle?"

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2023 19:58:27 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh visibly relaxed when he heard Melody's reassurance. Yes, candidates needed to be scrutinized carefully. It seemed she had seen enough, what with how much the two had helped Hoenn's citizens while he was taking the Gym Challenge. Melody truly understood. There was already a very limited number of candidates for the Champion Assessment due to just how tough Hoenn's Gym Leaders were.

She then asked Josh his prospects of battle. "That's something I've thought about since you, , and all visited my Gym. All four of you are so tough. is a war veteran. His Pokémon have raw grit unlike any other. Katherine ran out to my Gym at the end of my probation period and ran over it with her... whatever that thing she has is." He described the Malevolent's Pheromosa. "Callan, of course, taught me how to fight Trick Room. I wouldn't be surprised if he brought it against me. And of course, your two Toxtricity beat my entire team in a sweep when we met as I first took up the mantle of Gym Leader."

Josh breathed deeply before continuing. "At least Matias promised me he would not use Groudon in our challenge. Virizion, though, is not off the table. I got to go for a ride on Virizion some time ago and experience just how fast the Verdant Blade gets. But you with Cobalion, Katherine with Giratina, and Callan with whatever god has favored him... it will be an uphill battle."

Then, of course, there was the matter of the Top Champion. "I've also asked for a rematch with Entei since losing to Kyle at his Battle Arcade. I don't want to consider myself a Champion without knowing I can defeat Entei. Even if it means I Have to use Raikiri against the one who left him in my care. But I will overcome it. Even if I don't succeed right away. I expect losses at some point during the Elite Test. But they will be a setback, not a true defeat. I won't give up until I am among Hoenn's Champions."

{WC: 350}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,232 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
POSTED ON Apr 6, 2023 3:16:24 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar
[nospaces]

"We'll see if agrees to even battle. So far it's a rare event, the only one he agreed to fight against was ." [break][break]

And that mostly had been because the sight of that...creature she had fused with disgusted her, it caused her heart to race. [break][break]

"I don't think any have paired up with just yet, but that might change quickly with how skilled he is." she says nodding in agreeance with her own statement. "Well. then your interview is concluded." [break][break]

She says as she stands up and clears the crumbs off of her skirt as some of it had fallen on her out of sight of Josh's eyes. "On my authority as an member of the Elite four. I authorize you, Josh Devlin to be able to take on the league's greatest challenge. The champion rank assessment."

notes about this post

Notes go here

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,032 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Apr 8, 2023 4:56:15 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh visibly exhaled. The first stressful step had been taken. It had taken three sets of eyes for the League to see his level of loyalty and dedication to her precepts and his willingness to oppose Team Rocket, keeping Hoennians safe at his own risk. That was just one step of six, though. Melody would almost assuredly be less merciful when the duo met on the field of battle, in front of a live audience of hundreds, if not thousands of people. Being a semi-professional Pokémon racer, Josh was used to large crowds.

He exhaled a second time when Melody described the gods' hesitation to battle as part of the Elite Test. He wouldn't feel like a Champion until he could do battle with Entei, though. He wondered whether understood that, given his reverence of and relationship with the Beasts.

He would make Raikou proud.

Upon Melody's announcement of his interview results, Josh wanted to give her a great big hug. Instead, he simply extended his right hand. "Thank you for listening to my long story, as well," the Gym Leader humbly replied. "I know how difficult it can be listening to someone who is verbose. I just hope doesn't chew you out for this, because he didn't seem too thrilled with me when I talked to him last." He nodded, standing and resting his hand on the side of his Zeraora's saddle. "Melody, I look forward to our battle." With that, he started to walk out of the idol's office, when he remembered one more thing. "And one more thing. I won't be bringing Raikiri to our challenge."

{WC: 272}
{PC: 8}