Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,696 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
Nothing So Half-Hearted [M]
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2023 14:34:59 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zev2"]

Gray skies greeted Sootopolis City, a promise of rain later in the day. Zev sat on a bench on the pier that overlooked the ocean — at least what was visible of it before the island's natural wall blocked off all sight.[break][break]

He sipped black coffee from a paper Sawsbucks cup. The bitterness washed over his tongue, warming him against the unnatural chill of late April.[break][break]

The Beast was waiting for the arrival of another, a grunt whose mission he'd supervised. . Zev did not know much about the young individual, their dossier containing little information besides a simple childhood in Johto and increasing encounters with Team Rocket once they started fending for themselves.[break][break]

Makoto had proved capable in terms of stealth and infiltration. But the crime syndicate wished to possess willing pawns, not simply those who had stumbled into a life of crime. With all the recent defections over the past several months, Zev's higher-ups wanted to be sure their current ranks were not going to stumble out of crime just as easily.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

Mission: Recruitment Act II

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.zev2]--accent:#975fb2;[/newclass]
[newclass=.zev2]font:13px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 a"]color:var(--accent);font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 .tag a"]font:bold 15px Poppins;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 .credit"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 .credit a"]font:10px Poppins!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
Fox tails hidden under wedding dresses
awards
580 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2023 22:21:40 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
This was... Different. And in a way, that different-ness was enough to make Makoto somewhat unsettled.

Being called out like this to be sent on a mission was certainly one thing - but as far as they understood, this wasn't a mission. This was more a talk of sorts - and not only that, but a talk with one of the Rocket Beasts. , to be specific - the Beast that had overlooked one of their first more formal missions with Rocket.

He was very much a straightforward and to-the-point person from what they'd seen - no-nonsense, and the like. So they didn't necessarily feel like they had to worry about anticipating the other shoe dropping out of nowhere. But on the other hand, if there truly was an issue with them, well... He'd likely make it plenty known.

Was it any surprise then, that their nerves were a little bit on edge, as they stepped out onto the pier? They were thankful for Kuro; the zorua did well to disguise them whenever they were slipping into more Rocket business. Which, while it was mainly to protect their civilian identity, it also had the added benefit of hiding most of their visual tells (which felt more important, in this moment.)

Likely, Zev would already know the disguise that they were approaching with - it'd be awkward if he saw them as some random stranger, after all.

"You wanted to talk, sir?" Makoto addressed Zev, coming to a stop at the end of the pier alongside him. They put their hands in their pockets, to keep them from getting cold in the sea breeze. Faintly, distantly, they can hear the cries of wingull carried on the wind.

What was on the agenda, today?
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,696 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Apr 28, 2023 12:07:25 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zev2"]

Zev heard Makoto's approach and saw their disguise for what it was long before they spoke. He did not budge, did not even turn to greet them or invite them to join him on the bench. Instead, he merely took another sip of his coffee before speaking.[break][break]

"I did."[break][break]

The waves churned beneath the pier, a constant noise of back-and-forth flow. Nearby, a flock of Wingull fought over abandoned food scraps.[break][break]

"We were able to get some useful intel from the documents obtained during your last mission." A small reassurance for Makoto, perhaps. "Tell me your thoughts on how the actual job went, though. Do you think you were able to use the full extent of your skills?"

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=.zev2]font:13px Roboto;letter-spacing:.2px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 h1"]font:bold 15px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zev2 h2"]font:bold 14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
580 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON Apr 28, 2023 17:51:17 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
It was indeed reassuring, for Zev to confirm that the mission was a positive. Makoto relaxed under the mask of their illusory disguise - even if only marginally - and nodded in response. They did well. They weren't going to be let go, or whatever the Rocket equivalent of such would be (which probably wouldn't be something pretty, all things considered.)

Though it wasn't stated that way, those were the conclusions they drew and took comfort in. The stability that Rocket ironically provided in their life was secure - even if only for now - and they wouldn't have to panic and figure out some sufficient apology for something going awry after the fact. That would've been awkward, the general anxiety and fear that would've occured from such a scene aside.

But then came the question of how they felt about how things went - and Makoto couldn't help but take pause at the question. It wasn't really something that they had to consider before - at least not in this sort of context - and for a few long moments, they mulled it over.

"... It went well, I'd think - I don't imagine we'd be talking, if it didn't..." They eventually responded, glancing briefly to the flock of squabbling wingull. "You are either found out or you're not - and we weren't. You either get away with the goods or you don't - and we did. There was barely any fuss, aside from that almost-moment at the end, and even then it was handled."

There wasn't really any half-assing it, when it came to stealing. If they hadn't done well, then they would've either ended up back on the streets and on the run, been arrested and sent to jail, or perhaps even killed - be it by authorities or Zev himself.

But as far as using the full extent of one's skills... They couldn't help but find themself unsure of what Zev was asking for, exactly. Did 'extent' here refer to quality, or quantity? "The extent of the specific skills I have, sir? Or how well I can use them?" They questioned for clarification, internally hoping that doing so wouldn't be seen as a mistake.
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,696 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Apr 29, 2023 11:23:37 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zev2"]

It was clear to Zev that Makoto had not analyzed their previous work before — not in any conscious way, at least. That fact made Makoto seem like a person who committed their crimes simply as a matter of survival, as opposed to someone with an ulterior motive.[break][break]

"I mean both. Was the job easy for you? Did you find yourself bored? Or did you feel challenged?" he asked in an effort to guide Makoto's thoughts into deeper introspection.[break][break]

How they responded might help Zev understand what sort of work the grunt could do for Team Rocket in the future. After all, the crime syndicate was more than just a den of thieves.

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
580 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 2, 2023 15:02:55 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Was the job easy? Did Makoto find it boring, or had it been challenging? Once more, Makoto is thoughtful - considering their own feelings about the prior mission. "It went smoothly, so... I suppose I'd say that things had gone easy. But I'm not sure how much to attribute it to skill, or luck." They admitted honestly - things could've easily gone awry at any moment, for reasons that would've been beyond the duo's control.

One of the guards outside could've become suspicious of the group's disguises for whatever reason, and attempt a closer look.

Someone could've come around the corner at the most inconvenient moment as they were climbing up to the balcony, and spot them.

The guard in the hallway could've opened the door - and worse, stepped in far enough to blow their cover and force a hasty retreat.

But all that aside, Makoto continued "I don't know if I'd call it boring - it's hard to be bored when you're actively focusing on making sure things go off without a hitch. But it wasn't difficult in hindsight, either." Perhaps if Zev had asked whether this mission seemed hard or challenging before, they'd have agreed, but... "... It was just... Different. Both the mark, and having to work with another person, both were very different from what I'm used to."

They usually didn't have to steal documents - or more specifically, the information on them - to get by, after all; nor did they usually have to deal with a superior watching their performance.
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,696 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON May 2, 2023 19:37:46 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zev2"]

From what Zev was able to glean from the conversation so far, Makoto didn't have any strong opinions. Whether that was true only about the job they'd completed or about everything else in the grunt's life was yet to be determined.[break][break]

Zev stood from the bench and walked toward Makoto — or, more specifically, toward the trash bin nearby. After tossing his empty coffee cup, he fixed the grunt with a discerning stare.[break][break]

"I'm asking you to share your experiences and review the mission from your own perspective, not say what you think I want to hear. Think critically. Don't be ambivalent."[break][break]

Pausing, he removed a pack of cigarettes from his coat pocket and lit one. Smoke blew from his mouth when he spoke again.[break][break]

"Tell me how the mission was different. What you're used to in comparison?"

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
580 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 4, 2023 12:04:27 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Makoto couldn't help but stiffen a little under Zev's stare - unable to fully meet it. For a moment, they opened their mouth as if to say something - though they remained silent for a couple moments longer, until...

"... I... Meant what I said, sir. I've never had to really consider if something was too easy, or boring, or challenging; I may consider to myself if a theft is doable, or otherwise seems too risky, sure, but... I'm not really used to this." Makoto soon admitted.

The grunt would fall quiet for a moment - considering how to elaborate like Zev wanted them to - before continuing "I'm not usually stealing documents. I'm stealing valuables like jewelry, that I can quickly pawn off for an extra bit of cash. I'm stealing necessities like food, water, clothing... Anything to be able to provide for myself and the few pokemon I had back then, for a little while longer."

Sure, information was a currency of its own - but it wasn't something that Makoto tended to linger in any given place for long enough to make use of, back then.

"I'm used to having to figure out a plan myself, and having to go in... Well... Relatively blind, I suppose. But you were able to provide information, and a bit of direction. I don't usually have to worry about there being someone else to keep an eye out for - someone who could be a detriment as much as they could be a great aid like you were. Your cofagrigus was able to unlock a door from the inside, where I would've otherwise needed to spend time lockpicking it myself."

"Adjusting to it feels... Strange." They concluded. Not a good or a bad strange, but a different sort of strange...
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,696 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON May 4, 2023 15:12:01 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zev2"]

So Makoto was a street rat whose only thoughts and actions thus far had been ensuring their survival. And such a high focus on survival meant they had little brainpower left over for higher thought functions, such as critical self-analysis. Instead, their being operated on the bare minimum.[break][break]

"If you are going to remain in Team Rocket, you need to start getting used to it," Zev said. "We need people who can make assessments of themselves and of situations, who have the initiative to know how to put themselves to good use for the organization."[break][break]

He paused to take a drag from his cigarette. The pungent smell of burning tobacco filled the air.[break][break]

"If you're a grunt, you shouldn't have to think about food, shelter, or spending money. You get paid for completed missions, and the submarine will house and feed you. So start thinking about your goals beyond surviving."[break][break]

Zev continued to stare with unblinking intensity at Makoto, his blue eyes boring into their skull.[break][break]

"What do you want from Team Rocket?"

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
580 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 4, 2023 21:10:40 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Makoto couldn't help a sharp inhale - even as they wrinkled their nose from the smell of the cigarette smoke - at the judging gaze that Zev leveled on them. For a moment, it almost felt like they were back home in the worst of ways. It felt like the barest twitch of weakness would have him tearing out their throat.

What did they want from Team Rocket? And perhaps more importantly, what would they be able to offer in return?

For certain, a lot of their basic needs were met. Even if they didn't use the submarine all that much, the money they got from jobs was enough to have a simple apartment in Sootopolis and keep the fridge stocked. They probably would have more spending money if they did live in the submarine - although, something about the place unsettled them. It always felt a bit too... Closed in? Suffocating?

Claustrophobic?

Ultimately, they felt more comfortable here - above water. Even with the added costs, their needs were more or less met. They felt like they could live comfortably, off of just how things were now. The only thing that was missing was just that general sense of belonging, of acknowledgement, and yet... That wasn't something they felt like they could wholly admit to.

Still - as much as their initial instinct was to play people pleaser, Zev made it clear that he wanted honesty - and that even with the mask of the illusion they wore, he had enough of a read on them to call bullshit. Though at the same time, they weren't exactly sure if the truth would be a satisfactory answer, either...

... Taking in a deep breath, they began speaking. "Survival... Was why I joined in in the first place. Other goals, what else I want... It's... something I'd need to consider." They spoke - somewhat reluctant, but honest. They were happy enough, just being able to have a warm bed to sleep in, just being able to reliably feed themself and their pokemon... Right?

What else could they want from Rocket, right now?
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,696 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON May 7, 2023 19:56:14 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zev2"]

Though it was not the answer Zev wanted to hear from a new grunt, at least it was an answer that made sense — and an honest one, too. For most of Team Rocket's lowest ranks, the crime syndicate was merely a means to get by, an answer for their livelihood troubles.[break][break]

So he gave Makoto a curt nod. "Better."[break][break]

Zev took another drag from his cigarette as if contemplating where next to drive the conversation. In reality, Makoto's simple needs meant that they would be content enough to be another warm body to throw at the League, another set of hands for an operation requiring stealth or theft.[break][break]

If the grunt did start to develop goals beyond survival, however, then how they pursue those goals would be taken into consideration.[break][break]

"That's all," Zev said at last, dismissing Makoto. "Think about what I said — about what you want from Team Rocket now that your needs are met. In the meantime, we'll have another mission for you soon."

[attr="class","ooc"]
[attr="class","tag"]
[break]

NOTES

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

Tsukistar

They/Them
May 14th
Ecruteak City
Pansexual
Phantom Thief
Grunt
5'11" / 180.3cm height
5'11" / 180.3cm height
awards
580 posts
part of
TAG WITH @makotokurumi
Makoto Kurumi
POSTED ON May 11, 2023 20:07:48 GMT
Makoto Kurumi Avatar
Think about what they wanted from Rocket... "... Yes, sir." They responded with a nod - momentarily wondering what the next mission would end up being. But more presently, was thoughts of their own desires and goals. Briefly, they half-opened their mouth again - as if to ask a question, but... They quickly closed it again - they'd been dismissed. They shouldn't linger any longer than necessary.

Thus, they'd head the other way - leaving the pier, and heading back home. They only spared a short glance back in Zev's direction - and as they did, they couldn't help but wonder...

... What was it, that people like Zev wanted - and surely got - out of Rocket..?
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,032 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON May 13, 2023 3:16:39 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(REPEAT)