Lucas Holden
we'll call you back [s/c/past]
POSTED ON May 5, 2023 16:36:49 GMT
Lucas Holden Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","fakebq"]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]
Lucas likes to think his experience in sports would help him take a running start in Pokemon training, something that shouldn't be that far from training regular people. His seniors from Nimbasa Stadium told him that, and they applied their theory to how they raised Pokemons for sparring and games alike. It seems to serve them well so far.
[break][break]
The problem is this gym focuses on racing and riding, things Lucas, unfortunately, has little experience with. Still, the fact they returned his email with a call for a potential interview means he must have something of interest.
[break][break]
The decor of the building is full of depictions of a personification of a primal force, a beast worshipped by numerous civilizations as a testament to its mighty power. The almost-pious tributes accompany the race tracks outside the windows, a modern-day circus maximus.
[break][break]
Romantic, perhaps, but also intimidating.
[break][break]
Lucas breaks off from the gathered crowd to approach the gym's lobby. He figured, even if he fell short of the qualifications, he'll have plenty of time to spectate later.
[break][break]
"Hello. I'm here to try for a position," Lucas nods, "Yes, I have an appointment."

[attr="class","fakebqooc"][break]

NOTES

+ winged it

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".fakebq"]--accent:#975fb2;font:12px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq b"]color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq a"]font:12px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq h1"]font:bold 16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq h2"]font:bold 14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq .credit a"]font-size:14px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 6, 2023 9:20:56 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The lobby that morning was, surprisingly, not too crowded; there were only a couple of people in the waiting room, ready for challenges against Gym Trainers. While Josh was working his Gym today, it was one of the days of the week he was not taking challenges. There was a lot more to running a Gym than simply taking challenges, after all!

As Lucas approached ANDREW WEISS, one of Josh's receptionists, the young man responded, "Need to see some ID, please." Provided Lucas would comply, it would be easy for him to find the application. "Yes, I do see your name on the list. Take the first left, then the first right, then you'll see an elevator. Take that to the third floor. The Leader's office will be straight ahead."

Provided Lucas followed the directions, he would find Josh's office, with decor similar to the main lobby. On a large, wooden desk rest a computer monitor, a keyboard, a bottle of water, and a 12-inch Raikou plush toy with the most vicious-looking yet adorable face. "Great to see you, Lucas!" Josh greeted him. Saber, his Manectric, smiled at him from the corner behind him, the Pokémon wearing a saddle in the likeness of Raikou's thundercloud. "So I understand you're interested in a position at Mauville Racing Grounds. May I ask which openings you are most interested in?"

This thread takes place in late February 2023.

{WC: 228}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Saber          Manectric       Good
close tab

played by

Clown

Luke
He/Him
Seventeen
August 18
Nimbasa City
Pansexual
Pokeleague Soccer Player
Civilian
10 height
10 height
balls
awards
38 posts
Lucas Holden DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @clown
Lucas Holden
POSTED ON May 6, 2023 17:02:21 GMT
Lucas Holden Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","fakebq"]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]
"Here you go."
[break][break]
The identification was his old Nimbasa City Stadium membership, which should be verifiable through the League's computer network. It would also prove his athletic prowess and sports experience.
[break][break]
Of course, Lucas doesn't know how valued those prior experiences would be here.
[break][break]
"Thanks." Lucas excused himself with a nod, stepping into the elevator. The decors stay consistent with the ones in the front office, further strengthening the temple comparison he had earlier. At least they're consistent about it.
[break][break]
He knocks on the door to the office before entering after permission. He then pauses, doing a double take at the Leader. He's younger than he thought, but that's not necessarily weird. Younger Gym Leaders do exist.
[break][break]
"Thank you for considering my application, sir." Lucas diplomatically answered with a lifetime practice of handling conversations with coaches. "I was looking to apply for one of the openings for gym trainers, given my previous experience. But, well-" He paused to consider going ahead with his concerns and decided to bite the bullet. "-I'm still not sure if I have enough of a chop for the races."
[break][break]
Not a very convincing pitch, but perhaps he could leverage his skills to go the extra mile. He has to grit his teeth and bear it, at least.

NOTES

+ winged it

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".fakebq .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".fakebq .text b"]font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 7, 2023 8:24:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"No problem," the Gym Leader answered, rubbing his hand over the Raikou plush's black crown. "Have a seat! I wanted to let you know that you should be proud you've made it this far in the selection process. Your experience working with Nimbasa Stadium is what caught my eye." Saber sat down next to Lucas, giving him a good perspective on just how big the ride Manectric, the Gym Leader's ace Pokémon, was. He was big enough to seat two people on that thundercloud if need be! It was a good thing each floor of the Mauville Gym had more than the standard eight-foot ceiling. "Gym Leader Devlin or Elite Ranger Devlin, but you can call me Josh," he introduced himself, putting emphasis on the last phrase. A formal introduction, for sure, but he didn't expect, or desire, the formality to be reciprocated.

"Don't sweat it! Pokémon racing was, only a decade ago, considered to be an exotic and dangerous sport. Safety has improved so much that, with the right precautions, even brand new trainers with the right Pokémon can enjoy battles of speed. That's what the Mauville Racing Grounds are dedicated toward. We'll teach you all you need to know about racing during the new hire process if you're selected."

The Gym Leader tapped at his keyboard for a bit, utilizing the vast resources his position let him access. "I pulled up your profile with the Hoenn League, and I noticed you do not possess a single Hoenn Gym Badge. Do you possess any Badges from other regions?" he read the question from his computer. "I want to be transparent: a lack of Hoenn League Badges will not disqualify you from consideration. I do need to ask you, though: Why do you want this position, and why should I hire you?"

{WC: 305}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Clown

Luke
He/Him
Seventeen
August 18
Nimbasa City
Pansexual
Pokeleague Soccer Player
Civilian
10 height
10 height
balls
awards
38 posts
Lucas Holden DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @clown
Lucas Holden
POSTED ON May 7, 2023 11:25:00 GMT
Lucas Holden Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","fakebq"]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]
Lucas nods in affirmation before sitting down on one of the guest seats. He glances at the Leader's signature Pokemon/mount sitting beside him. He's very imposing in its size, and yet Lucas felt no hostility from him, a sign of a well-trained ace. His manner befits one of the gym's symbols, second only to the primal beast depicted in the paintings overlooking them.
[break][break]
But the Leader himself gave nothing of the grand image his position suggested. The casual manner almost gave Lucas a sucker punch.
[break][break]
"Lucas, sir-Josh. Luke is alright as well."
[break][break]
Sure, he knew his name already, but he introduced himself. Unovan people paying no attention to polite society is only a stereotype.
[break][break]
The awkward introductions notwithstanding, Lucas finds himself engrossed in the brief history of the races. The view from outside the window is nothing like he'd ever seen.
[break][break]
But, of course, it's never going to be that easy.
[break][break]
"Regrettably, no." He takes a deep breath before continuing, "While we of Nimbasa Stadium are experienced trainers, we focus our efforts on our games by necessity. We're athletes first and foremost."
[break][break]
However, underestimate their prowess at your peril. They've bested more than a few Championship hopefuls for a reason. Lucas prefers to let their reputation speak for itself.
[break][break]
"But I think focusing on one training method is a narrow viewpoint. It's why I'm here, to expand my horizons."
[break][break]
"I'm still training, and my footing is still shaky, but once my feet are firmly on the ground, the challenges are next." He stated with unwavering eyes, "It would be a huge step forward to start here."
[break][break]
He's capable of a running start, but intercepting passes from others is still a visible liability. They might have to look elsewhere if they're looking for a proven top-scorer.

NOTES

+ libero'd it

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 8, 2023 8:29:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh hummed as he continued clicking away, pulling up a copy of Lucas' application. Everything he was saying was consistent with what was on his paperwork. While his retinue of athletic experience was impressive, not having any Gym badges from any region at all was quite the mark against the young man. While it didn't automatically disqualify him, Lucas did need to have an impressive amount of relevant experience elsewhere.

Next, Josh looked up Lucas' public records with Nimbasa Stadium. The young man's athletic prowess with Pokémon was comparable to a trainer with several Badges, merely focused on a different field than combat. "I like your willingness to branch out. Being athletic is a prerequisite for working here. What most trainers don't realize is how fit you have to be to ride a very fast-moving Pokémon. It's tough not just on the Pokémon, but the rider, too."

Josh noted Lucas' willingness to improve, as well. It seemed like the young man had a good work ethic. Leaving compensation out of the interview was a sign that he was applying for work he would enjoy doing, and that was another quality the Gym Leader was looking for. "Excellent. Next, can you describe an experience you've had in the last two years that would make you a good fit for these positions? It can be anything you feel would help you in your new position, were I to hire you." After all, a lack of Badges wasn't indicative of a lack of battle experience.

{WC: 255}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Clown

Luke
He/Him
Seventeen
August 18
Nimbasa City
Pansexual
Pokeleague Soccer Player
Civilian
10 height
10 height
balls
awards
38 posts
Lucas Holden DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @clown
Lucas Holden
POSTED ON May 8, 2023 16:01:27 GMT
Lucas Holden Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","fakebq"]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]
Lucas let out a breath of relief once Josh was seemingly receptive to his reasonings. That was a start. Even if they should want someone without much experience in battle, he has no illusion in assuming they don't have trainers with much more qualifications here. After all, those who apply to the Gyms should be the standouts of the pack.
[break][break]
The young man nods in response to the Gym Leader's words about physicality and trainers. There are many different schools of thought regarding training methods, and Fighting-type Gyms in many regions follow a similar guideline of self-improvement alongside your Pokemon. What he espoused felt in line with this line of thinking.
[break][break]
Would his experience with this method be relevant? Perhaps. Strength-building exercises would still be universally applicable.
[break][break]
"I have experience in teaching other people physical exercises," Coaching attempts finally come in handy, it seems. "Football is one thing, but I also devised muscle and stamina-building routines. Given time and experience, I might be able to apply a similar methodology to help those amateurs to intermediate riders."
[break][break]
And if he'd ask, Lucas would whip up one to see how effective it would be.

NOTES

+ defend it

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 10, 2023 5:32:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Strength and stamina were very important for high speed travel, something Josh was quick to recognize. "That goes a long way here," the Gym Leader replied. "There are so many people with the misconception that riding a Pokémon everywhere instead of walking gets you out of shape. That couldn't be farther from the truth. It can get physically intense. The faster you go, the more strength you need to be able to command your Pokémon." He paused to let his words sink in. "Your teaching experience is also valuable, as this will let us bring in larger classes and improve the Gym Trainers we have, as well. As you can imagine, we get a lot of applicants and can only accept the best trainers and racers. While prior riding and racing experience are preferred, they're not essential to success here."

If Lucas was good at reading body language, he could see Josh growing more and more relaxed as the interview went on. "However, I do have a few more questions of you, including a very important one." The black-haired young man took a deep breath. "As a Gym Trainer, you will be expected to take battles from members seeking to prepare for challenges, as well as take official Gym Challenges. You will also be expected to be part of the field for Racing Challenges. What Pokémon do you have that you feel would be a good fit as a Gym Trainer at Mauville Racing Grounds?" He gestured toward the saddled Manectric nearby as an example.

{WC: 258}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Clown

Luke
He/Him
Seventeen
August 18
Nimbasa City
Pansexual
Pokeleague Soccer Player
Civilian
10 height
10 height
balls
awards
38 posts
Lucas Holden DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @clown
Lucas Holden
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 11:26:27 GMT
Lucas Holden Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","fakebq"]
[attr=class","body"]
[attr="class","text"]
Lucas frowned. It was quite a piercing question.
[break][break]
"That is...a bit complicated. My long-time partner is a Cinderace, a Pokemon optimized to perform in the Nimbasa Stadium, with others in my team to support him. In terms of traditional battle challenges, he'd be able to take on comers since I have experience on that front."
[break][break]
"However-"
[break][break]
The Cinderace is a human-sized Lepus, unsuitable for a mounted race with a rider, no matter how you slice it. A general footrace might fare a bit better, but that doesn't seem to be what this gym specializes in.
[break][break]
"-I don't think he would be ideal for Racing Challenges. The others are similarly specialized: a Medic, a Cheer Captain, and an Illumination Specialist. None that I would call ideal for racing, which I admit is a demerit of mine."
[break][break]
"I would pledge to catch someone ideal for racing should I go through the selection process, however."
[break][break]
He said that without missing a beat.

NOTES

+ defend it

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,069 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON May 16, 2023 7:06:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The frown did not go unnoticed, and was mirrored when Lucas mentioned his complete lack of Pokémon that could carry him across the land, sea, or sky. It was quintessential to being a trainer at one of the most renowned Gyms in Hoenn. While nervous at first, he had filled 's shoes nicely, the racing challenge having a reputation for being one of the biggest tests of true teamwork between Pokémon and trainer.

"...You are absolutely right that not possessing a Pokémon that can bear your weight on the course is a detractor," Josh replies with a noticeable drop in tone. "And your honesty is appreciated. We do have accommodations, though; while you still lack tenure, you will be permitted to use my Pokémon for any challenges you are assigned to. I have dozens of them, as I am sure you have seen if you look out the window behind me." A Luxray, two Pyroar, an Arcanine, a Sawsbuck, a Liepard... there was no shortage of Pokémon that wore saddles and were trained enough to adapt to anyone that held their reins.

The vow that Lucas made did not go unheard, either. "What kinds of Pokémon made for racing would you be looking to catch?" was the Leader's next question.

{WC: 216}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,962 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 19:06:22 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: