6,141 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 18:09:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Indeed, there were two sides to the Rocket story. As staunchly as Josh believed in the League to do the right thing, and as much as he loathed Rocket's methods, both sides were more at fault than the idealist wanted to admit. It took not one, but two region-ending events for him to realize the conflict was much more complex than he wanted to give it credit for. There truly was no right resolution. Not even the League's finest could agree how to handle Rocket, and Josh's opinion on them didn't coincide with any of the Elite Four he had spoken to.

Absalom's mention of there being bad actors outside Rocket sounded a gong in Josh's head. There was even evil inside Josh. The demon within him, the demon he had worked to hard to bottle up, still lurked within him, and it was up to him to keep the pressure from building to the point where the cork on the bottle popped, undoing all his hard work.

If that cork were to pop and he became obsessive over Raikou again to the detriment of all else, he certainly would not get a second chance. It was a demon he would prefer to slay outright, but that demon had grown too large.

The topic of Mantine surfing came up. "Funny you speak of that. We had a Mantine surfing contest at Slateport Beach last summer. It was a lot of fun, and I had built up such a level of rapport with the Mantine I used in the contest that she eventually found me and... well, now she's a part of my Gym."

Josh did a double take as he handed the reins off to Absalom. "Wait, this is your first time riding on a Pokémon? You're a natural," he complimented. "I guess you'll pick up on fundamentals quickly enough then. The best way to learn how to control a flying mount is..." He paused to collect his thoughts. "Imagine the reins as cords attached to a joystick that has a tendency to slide forward when untouched. If you pull with your left or right hand, she'll turn that direction. If you pull back, she'll climb, and if you release the pressure on the reins, she'll descend. For speed control, you use your legs. Squeeze her sides harder to make her go faster, and release pressure on them to slow down. Of course, she'll listen to verbal commands too." With that, the Leader would take the role of a passenger. "Do your worst!" he smiled, ready for whatever roller coaster the blue-haired trainer had in mind.

{WC: 437}
{PC: 8}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Resheph         Dragonair          Good
Snacker         Sharpedo           Good
Keiga           Kingdra            Good
Ulysses         Dewgong            Good
Illumina        Lanturn            Good
Kairi           Vaporeon           Good
close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
242 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2023 18:28:43 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","blbqimg4"]

[attr="class","header"]WHAT DOESN’T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER

[attr="class","setting"]

He didn’t agree with the things Rocket did. But that didn’t mean he didn’t understand the motivation that could draw someone to do those kind of things. For some it was about revenge. And for others they were just stuck in survival mode after not being handed the best cards in life. Didn’t mean he agreed with it. Just that he could understand it.
[break][break]
Axel would be lying if he said he hadn’t felt something dark boil up from time to time. Like when it came to a late friend of his. The parents claimed he had died but since they had refused to go into details he just couldn’t help but feel his friends parents had something to do with his disappearance. He had no proof though to back it up, so he couldn’t exactly accuse them of anything.
[break][break]
Thinking about this always left a bad taste in his mouth. So he decided to stop and focus on something else. Thankfully the subject had moved on to something else. First about ride Pokémon than to individual ride Pokémon. Which is how he found himself talking about Mantine.
[break][break]
The older males comment caught their interest. ”Do you think they’ll have the contest again? Or at least just allow people to ride one at their leisure?” he wondered. ”Its nice that the Mantine was impressed enough that she wanted to join your team. Mirage also chose me after I healed him when he was being ganged up on by some other wide Pokémon. Of course he was a Zorua back than.”
[break][break]
Hearing his next comment he raised a brow. ”Water and flying Pokémon yes. But I ride Mirage all the time. Well almost all the time. Sometimes it’s good just to stretch your legs,” he told the gym leader. He listened to the directions committing them to memory he also compared the similarities between riding Mirage and riding a Pokémon that could fly.
[break][break]
”Anyway I think you give me to much credit. If I pick up things quickly it’s because I have an eidetic memory,” he admitted as he took the reins. Despite his eidetic memory he still liked getting use to something so he didn’t do anything fancy. He did increase the pressure of his legs though to make her go faster. His need for speed wasn’t part of having to get use to a mount.

[attr="class","oocnotes"] + ooc notes

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","milkcredit"]milky

[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative; --accent:#7d95be; --bgimg:url(https://i.postimg.cc/4Nx7gBjz/IMG-1628.jpg);[/newclass]

[newclass=.blbqimg4 b]color:var(--accent); font-weight:none; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .setting]background-image:var(--bgimg); background-size:cover; background-position: bottom; height:150px; width:400px; margin:10px auto 20px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 a]font-weight:bold; text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .oocnotes]font-size:x-small;border-top:1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);padding-left:10px;padding-top:10px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .header]text-align:left;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,141 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 3:46:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"It was more of a coincidence than anything," Josh clarified as he waited for Absalom to get acclimated to being in command of the aquatic serpent. "We ran into each other months after the contest ended. Was going for a ride near the shores of Petalburg when I ran into her again. I haven't been able to use her much because of how unpopular my Gym's aquatic racing challenge is. It's less than three percent of my challenges, if I remember correctly."

His experience with the Zoroark would explain so much of Absalom's experience; it was easiest to learn fundamentals in two dimensions before adding the third, whether it be in the dense fluid that was water or the sparse fluid that was air. "Yup! It's really important to hop off and stretch every so often on long trips. It's one reason why you don't see people swimming all the way across oceans on Pokémon."

So far, Josh only noticed Absalom adjusting the Dragonair's speed. It was in the correct direction, and the thrilling direction, at that. The Dragonair bounced along the water's surface, misting her riders with the wake of her own splashing. "It's a little different controlling a Pokémon that can fly or swim. Think of holding her reins like holding the end of a cord that's tied to a joystick. If you pull back, she'll fly higher, and if you let the reins go limp, she'll start descending. That's all there is to it, really!" Floating aerial Pokémon were especially easy to learn with, given that they did not have to worry about maintaining sufficient lift for flight...

{WC: 274}
{PC: 9}

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
awards
242 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2023 2:53:08 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","setting"]

Still it was good that they had found each other again. Even if it was just a coincidence. Though the fact his water racing weren’t as popular was definitely a surprise. Though her preferred normal types he knew there were a lot of good water type Pokémon that would be good when it came to racing. Sharpedo was the one that came to mind first, though he knew it was one that could also make people uncomfortable. He knew it was fast though. So he couldn’t fathom why the water challenges wouldn’t be more popular.
[break][break]
That’s a shame. Especially considering there are a good number of fast water Pokémon,” he said frowning. ”Hopefully you’ll start to use here more. I’ve always thought Mantine were cool. Though not enough to shake my preference for normal types,” he said with a chuckle. To this day he couldn’t to someone why he favored normal types.
[break][break]
Listening to what he had to say he nodded. ”I still prefer riding Mirage though. It’s just easier for me to ride a Pokémon,” he said seemingly becoming a bit occupied with commanding the aquatic serpent. He wasn’t real sure how he would explain what he meant. He was aware he should mention his condition but it was kind of nice being around someone that didn’t know.
[break][break]
He could definitely see how it was different. Having watched the gym leader had made it obvious. And the directions had made it more obvious. It’s why even with his eidetic memory he had only changed the speed. He liked getting use to the way things worked instead of just relying on his eidetic memory all the time.
[break][break]
As the gym leader spoke he nodded. Now that he was use to the controlling the speed he worked with making the Dragonair go up and down. Riding Resheph was a lot of fun though still nothing beat the way he felt while riding Mirage. But that might be because of the bond they shared.[break]

[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative; --accent:#7d95be; --bgimg:url(https://i.postimg.cc/4Nx7gBjz/IMG-1628.jpg);[/newclass]

[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .setting]background-image:var(--bgimg); background-size:cover; background-position: bottom; height:150px; width:400px; margin:10px auto 20px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.blbqimg4 .oocnotes]font-size:x-small;border-top:1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);padding-left:10px;padding-top:10px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,141 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 4:40:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Same!" Josh smiled at Absalom's enthusiasm. "More fun, too! Unless it's in close quarters, you won't catch me traveling by foot, no siree!" Perhaps he was being a bit too enthusiastic about it. Either way, he was a passenger to the blue-haired rider's whims. It was clear from the beginning that he was, by now, used to controlling horizontal movement and speed. As the less experienced of the duo pulled back, the two rose above the sea. With every descent, they also picked up speed.

Even Josh's stomach turned at the peak of one of the Dragonair's more pronounced waves, as though they were astride a water Pokémon in some rough surf. "You've got great fundamentals!" he complimented. "No need to be modest with her, either! Serpents are my favorite dragons to fly on. They're so fast, and they have nearly unlimited agility in the air!"

{WC: 147}
{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

lumity/jayfeather

axel
he/him/his
february 3rd
malie city
asexual
trainer
senior ranger
single
5’2” height
5’2” height
awards
242 posts
part of
TAG WITH @absalom
absalom steel
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2023 15:33:43 GMT
absalom steel Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","setting"]

Hearing what he had to say he nodded in agreement. ”Yes though some people think it’s a lazy way of doing things,” he huffed. ”I like to think of it as exercising different muscles. You don’t work your lungs as much since you and your Pokémon work together. But I understand that riding isn’t for everyone,” he said knowing there were plenty of reasons why someone might not enjoy riding a Pokémon.
[break][break]
As he made it go up and down while picking up speed it started to feel like they were on a rollercoaster. Or what he figured a rollercoaster would be like, considering he had never been on way. It was to the point that he felt his stomach drop during one of the descents. It did surprise him a bit not being use to such a feeling. In fact it was the first time he had ever had such a feeling.
[break][break]
Hearing his compliment he couldn’t help but be a bit embarrassed. ”Thanks,” he said as he continued to command the dragon Pokémon. Listening to what he had to say he nodded. It would definitely be a good idea to see what Dragonair had going for it. That way he could have a full experience. Of course he would be careful of what he did and wouldn’t make it go full out on speed.
[break][break]
Considering what he said on agility he decided to test that out a bit. Mostly by having it do loop-the-loops before increasing the speed a bit more. He had just finished trying out some twirls when his phone vibrated. He didn’t have to look to know it was his sister so instead it he checked the time on his watch and was surprised by how late it had gotten.
[break][break]
”Time to head back. I’m on cooking duty tonight,” he explained as he turned Resheph in the direction of shore. He didn’t really want to head back when he was having so much fun but he had made a commitment.[break]

[newclass=.blbqimg4]position:relative; --accent:#7d95be; --bgimg:url(https://i.postimg.cc/ryBLBRTr/IMG-1924.jpg);[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,141 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2023 18:45:30 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Absalom couldn't have put it better. Riding a Pokémon, especially at high speed, required upper body strength to manipulate the reins, as well as immense leg and thigh strength to absorb the force of a galloping or swishing Pokémon. Smooth flying Pokémon like Pidgeot or Dragonair were no exception, either; the G-forces of flight required a lot of training to get used to, as well. Going fast was so rewarding, though; there was nothing like the adrenaline of blasting across the land, through the sea, or in the sky!

Even Josh let out a whoop as Resheph flew in vertical loops at Absalom's command, raising his arms skyward... or was it ground-ward, given they were upside down? Blood rushed to his head as the rider's sense of touch was overwhelmed by the force behind the twirling, spiraling dive, pulling out of it just as his companion's phone went off.

Once Resheph had landed, Josh made sure Absalom knew to stay seated for a bit in case his legs felt like jelly. He would let the young man slide off at his discretion. "This was a really fun afternoon. You ever want to go riding again in Hoenn's wilds, let me know. I'm always down for a joy ride across Hoenn. I'll have to show you some of my other Pokémon, too!" With that, the two went their separate ways.

{WC: 233}
{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,051 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Fun in the Sun [S/C]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 19:05:23 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: