Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 24, 2023 6:21:35 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

It feels like everything has changed. Spring carries with it the winds of change. One cannot simply mend what is broken. One cannot simply turn back the clock. Navy can’t be the man he was before Dewford any longer. He ran from that person at Mt. Pyre. He saw the first hints of that person after Sootopolis.[break]

He’s been pretending to be a detective for so long. What he sees when he looks in the mirror is a warrior. He can’t shut the box councilwoman Livy opened by offering him the post of Dewford gym leader. It’s the first step on his road to the top. A way to make things better. Change things. Educate young trainers…[break][break]

But, before any of that, there’s one person he needs to talk to about everything. Lopez. The man standing at the top of the mountain Navy so desperately climbs, day by day. Kyle Lopez, a man at the opposite end of the journey on which Navy now embarks. Few people know him as well, or understand him. He goes to Verdanturf to seek sage council.[break][break]

He let Kyle know he’s coming, of course. Navy pulls up to the home, parks his new truck, gets out. Navy’s had the same truck for ten years. Even when he spent everything giving Gabe the best, he still kept a little for that truck. And, like so much in his life, it’s gone. Forever.[break][break]

He walks up to the door, knocking. Wondering where all the Poocheyena are.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 25, 2023 9:01:52 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the knocking opened pandora's box for navy.

incessant barking filled the atmosphere as they all rush from the back to the front, all of them drenched with water. with droplets still clinging on the tips of their fur, they crowd the visitor. at least they smell like shampoo instead of regular wet dog smell.

kyle arrives later, with sleeves of his shirt rolled up and a hand holding a garden hose.

"i thought i could wash them up before you got here," he admits. "did you come here early?"

it's only courtesy to keep the dogs clean for visitors, but that hasn't happened in a while so kyle fucked up with the timing with his procrastination. at least it's just navy instead of some other colleague from ever grande.

entei comes up behind kyle, huffing a heat wave of warmth to dry up the assortment of poochyena around navy. kyle waves the pokemon off, in case the pressure of the legend would start to affect anyone.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 25, 2023 12:12:40 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

They swarm him. He is surrounded on all sides. Kyle loved these critters before he had a blank check and carte blanche to keep as many around as he wanted. It makes sense there would be so many. Despite his grim mood, they make him smile. Navy’s always loved dogs. He goes in for Rockruffs more than Hoenn’s native dogs, but they’re a close second. It’s a fight to give any Pooch attention before another demands it from him. [break]
Hey, guys! Chill! I’m here for a while, got enough time for all of you.”[break]
Kyle’s arrival brightens the detective’s smile. Even if Navy lost some part of himself in the midnight sea, enough remains to smile when the champion makes his presence known. Enough to feel like a teenager again.[break]
Enough to jump out of his skin at what marches up behind Kyle.[break]
I got here a little early, bro— is that fuckin’ Entei?!” What else is he supposed to say? A legend most only see in stone carvings and old stories dries off Kyle’s kennel.[break]
Toto, we’re not in Slateport anymore.” One street kid says to another.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 15:33:56 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
entei doesn't show himself often, kyle usually forgets, and when he does appear, it's only when kyle wants him to. the surprise is warranted, he guesses.

"my home is his new bell tower," he explains. "i don't trust any of the arcanines to do the drying, so that's where he comes in." the nonchalant exposition contrasts the pokemon's infamy.

as ho-oh's avatar, the beast's affection from the bird transfers over as well, enough to be casual around his presence.

with a heavy huff, entei turns tail and heads to the back of the house, leaving the two with the pack of canines. kyle drops the garden hose as he shoos his pokemon to the back with the legend, which mostly only works because a mightyena barks from the back.

"alright, time for business." he opens the door to let his guest in. "what's so important that we can't talk over text?"

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 16:06:30 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Sometimes, I forget just how crazy your life’s been, ever since that Rocket attack on Slateport.” One adventure after another, putting his brain and his instincts to good use. Gabe gawking at every victory, imagining that could be him out there. Navy wondering if he should say anything to the kid or not.[break][break]
But it’s not about that. It’s not about Entei or Gabe. It’s about him. His future. Him stepping up to the plate with Kyle, rather than hanging out on the sidelines.[break][break]
Had a meeting with Livy. Councilwoman thinks I’d be a good fit for a gym leader.” His words are accentuated by an amused huff, like there’s some innate joke to the statement. “Hoenn just can’t seem to keep gym leaders, huh? Feels like they switch in and out every few months. Guess it makes sense. Country’s a war zone.”[break][break]
He tries to pull up info from his history class, talking about the role of gym leaders in society. It’s tucked in there somewhere, back with a bunch more info picked up before he dropped out. Crammed in the files behind info on Unova, Galar, and Kanto.[break][break]
Historically, most gym leaders don’t see much conflict in their tenure, I guess. Most people can’t handle the strain.” It’s all dancing around the point. “…think I might do it. She made some compelling arguments.

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 16:17:37 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he stares at him for a second before his lips crack to a smile.

"you? becoming one of the league's dogs?" he stifles a laughter. "that's ironic."

he leads him inside and offers him a seat on his living room couch. dog toys litter the floor, but they're sparse enough to have enough of a walking space. otherwise, it's a pretty normal household.

"in a sense, yeah, i can see it," he casually remarks as he moves to the kitchen to make coffee, keeping his voice loud enough to reach the other room. "but how exactly did she sell it to you? i thought you were against the idea of it?"

. she really has to turn all his friends as coworkers at the end of the day so he can't talk shit about them anymore once connections have been established.

he's prepared to move her down on his friendship ranking depending on navy's answer.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 16:37:50 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

He’s never figured out whether it’s Kyle’s sense of style or Noah’s that guides the theme of the house. Some detective he is. It’s probably a mixture of both. You give part of yourself to someone, and them to you, when you marry. You’re bound. You become something more than the sum of your parts.[break]

Sitting down on the couch, Navy muses that he’s happy Kyle can still find joy in this sort of existence, find time to have little moments for casual chit-chat. He almost feels guilty, for wanting to disrupt that with this line of questioning.[break][break]

But it’s important. If anyone can sway him one way or the other, it’s Kyle. Kyle, who’s fought harder for Hoenn than anyone on the side of the angels.[break][break]

She just pointed out I can do a lot of good. It’s Dewford, to be clear. It all ties back to Baki, being honest with you.” It’s funny, Kyle went and get married. Navy went and had a kid. isn’t his, but he worries about the teenager like she is. Just a scant few years younger than Gabe. Another kid sibling to protect.[break][break]

The whole town’s weird. Ever since the wormhole opened up and the Ultra Deep Sea decided to plant itself in the cave. Tsubaki, she…disappears, sometimes. Ever since the battle. She’ll wash up on the shore. Talks about how she wanders in the sea. So, if I’m down there anyway, keepin’ the town safe, I can lead up the investigation.” He’s waiting on that coffee. It’ll make his heart rate worse, but he needs it right now.[break][break]

There’s something in that sea – and if I’m a gym leader, I can have resources to fight it. Keep her safe. Keep everybody safe.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 17:08:51 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"baki?" he questions before he remembers recent changes. "ah, the new person in your agency?"

it's been a while since he's handled anything outside of aqua, having ditched most of his responsibilities in the slateport police department in favor of ever grande league stuff. it's a miracle by itself for him to remember recent happenings on that side of his life.

"that's noble. yeah, that's such a navy move." water finishes boiling as coffee starts to roast. "but you could always do it without being a gym leader, right?"

navy was smart. kyle's sure he could find a way if he wanted to, and surely, being a gym leader was just one of them instead of being the sole solution.

"the position has a lot of nuances attached to it. you lose credibility to your old connections, you get the underdog treatment all while having high expectations from people, restrictions set by the league, and all those other stuff."

he pauses before adding.

"mostly the first point though. that one was really helpful for me when i was a wee little officer. it's kinda difficult to find someone like you, you know?"

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 17:17:34 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Kyle has good points. Always does. Good head on his shoulders. Navy listens, fingers entwined. Thinking. Considering the Champ’s words like a shogun strategizing before battle.[break][break]
Problem with bein’ someone like me is that you’re caught off guard when you get dragged into somethin’. I was only in Dewford ‘cause I got a call from a client down there that day. I was scared shitless the whole time…”[break][break]
He took his licks. He crawled his way up. Bloodied, broken, teeth shattered. He survived because he knew how to fight. A luxury he denied Gabe.[break][break]
Guess that’s the other reason. More than just Baki. There’s so many kids who look up to you, man. That look up to all of you. Fairburne, Young, Melody, Silph. I’m sure you have shit to say about all of ‘em but to the average Joe on the street, they’re heroes. Gives kids like Gabe dumb ideas. Makes them think they can be heroes, too. Then…”[break][break]
A lone finger crosses his neck before a second joins it in a snipping motion.[break][break]
Someone’s gotta get it through their heads: this ain’t a fairy tale, and fighting for the League’s not like fighting in a structured Pokemon battle.” A sigh accompanies the words. He realizes he sounds like he’s convinced already.[break][break]
…but also, fuck all that red tape. Arceus, I don’t know how you do it. Haven’t even taken the job and it’s starting.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 18:12:55 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he snickers at his frustration. misery does, after all, love company.

"kids are strong. they just need guidance." kyle pauses. "which is actually a lot of work. yeah, i'm in your camp now."

he brings a tray to the living room, carrying a pot and two mugs: one had a childish print of a poochyena while the other had a plain, opaque coat of blue.

it was the closest thing to navy as a color that they have in the house.

"i'm just an expert in these things, you know? i got practice ditching work and this is kinda similar." he wasn't a hard-worker like navy anyways. "i feel like you're too earnest for that approach though, but at the same time..."

kyle thinks on his words as he pours his coffee to his mug. he realizes he forgot to bring sugar and cream and hopes navy is okay with black.

"...i feel like everything would just fit with your work ethic." he takes a sip of his coffee. "wow, you do sound like a model gym leader in paper. would you also get a badge called justice badge or something."

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 28, 2023 6:10:47 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

He snorts into his cup at Kyle’s question.[break][break]
…Valor, actually. Valor Badge.” He doesn’t know why saying it out loud makes him feel so bashful, but the feeling is there. Washing the feeling down with dark coffee, he’s grateful for the burn. Helps him focus. Pulls him into the moment, sharpens his mind.[break][break]
For what it’s worth, I don’t work ‘cause I wanna.” It’s a good thing Gabe’s gone, if just for this one admission. “Got no choice. Money’s always tight. You know how it goes. Kind of crazy they pay gym leaders per battle. Josh must be rolling in dough.” The Master of Faster’s speedrunning his way to being a millionaire.[break][break]
But it ain’t ‘bout the money. It’s—I met this kid down in the caves. We beat the crap out of each other so hard Urshifus showed up and joined in the fight. Made me realize some things. I just – I can’t stay on the sidelines anymore, Kyle. Not with everything going on. It’s like I told you after Sootopolis. I don’t want to have to do for Noah what you did for me. I don’t…”[break][break]
He’s nervous. The speaking the words out loud makes them real.[break][break]
I don’t wanna lose you, man. Or Melody. Or Baki. And every time you all go off to battle, every time I sit things out, I don’t get a say in whether you guys come back. Don’t get to help out all the dumb kids that show up wanting to play hero.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 30, 2023 1:14:20 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
there's a smile in his expression. it's softer this time, unlike the harsh snark on his smirk-ridden jests.

"like i said, you don't need to be a gym leader for that. all that position's going to give you is a bunch of additional responsibilities. you wouldn't want a dilemma between your responsibilities for the city and personal commitments, right?"

that was why kyle skipped the invitation to be 's replacement to be the rustburo city gym leader once upon a time.

"what's stopping you from just signing up for the league newsletter whenever they try to find volunteers for some new danger for the region? moral dilemmas happen a lot these days. do you really want to be a part of that?"

kyle has the practical answer, but he knows navy probably has something else more profound than that.

perhaps he's prying more to understand people in a similar position more, or a part of him that had been there that he hasn't fully understood. kyle raises an eyebrow as he picks on navy's psyche.

he wouldn't be surprised if he wants to be involved in the tangled mess of the league's hierarchy just for that though.

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 30, 2023 11:43:13 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

you wouldn't want a dilemma between your responsibilities for the city and personal commitments, right?[break][break]
He hears the lyrics to an old rock ballad from Galar, to his shame.[break][break]
I have my freedom, but I don’t have much time.[break][break]
He has no personal commitments. Nothing beyond her. Nothing beyond this mad quest to save her from the Ultra Deep Sea – a quest that the good councilwoman has positioned him to have the authority to pursue at his leisure while maintaining his professional responsibilities.[break][break]
Mmm…” When he finally speaks over the aroma of dark coffee, it’s nothing but a whisper. He tries to speak, but words won’t come at first. Kyle has compelling points. But…[break][break]
But…[break][break]
There’s selfish reasons, too.” He admits, finally. “I need a steady supply of trainers to fight, win or lose, if I’m gonna make his dream come true.” Gabe’s dream, to be the best, just like in the movies. Bathing in all the lights and the cheer and the energy of the crowd chanting your name.[break][break]
Gotta train like hell. For Hoenn. For you.” To be able to look Kyle in the eyes. Not in his shadow, not riding his coattails, but as an equal.[break][break]
Our lives would’ve been way easier if we’d been born in Galar. Their league’s not complicated. Go out on the field. Put on a good show for the crowd. Fight. Have some beers afterwards. Nothing more. Gabe would have made a fine Galar champ.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,468 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 30, 2023 18:31:34 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he drinks his coffee and stares at navy as he tells him the most anime answer kyle can think of for the question. it's the only way he can stop himself from laughing at his answer.

the reaction was now dampened as soon as the initial shock has been dealt with.

"you really said that. you could've said it's a shortcut for your plans, but you chose that. that's the most cliched answer i hear from the kids i meet up with at verdanturf park that i can't even be mad at your answer. are you sure you're not one of the kids you want to berate?"

the outburst wasn't serious though, smiling as he finally manages to get it out of his chest. at least he doesn't have to walk around eggshells with navy when he wants to say all these conclusions.

or maybe he just wants to let go after trying to navigate through conversations with people with big personalities around his workplace.

"i feel you on that though. if this was galar, i wouldn't even have to be champion." he sighs heavily. "gabe does have the character and charisma. there's no elite four on galar too, so he wouldn't have to deal with egos either."

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Slim Gym [M]
POSTED ON May 31, 2023 5:16:08 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Hey, man. It’s just what happens when you hang out with kids all day. Anime’s all they watch. Nobody’s got taste anymore.” He plays the part of an old man sipping on coffee and berating the younger generation. He doesn’t begrudge , , or for their taste in shows, but it’s colored his speech.[break][break]
Well…[break][break]
That’s the excuse, anyway. Sports movies are just shonen for people who don’t like Kanto animation. Navy’s been raised on those since he was old enough to open his own account at the rental store.[break][break]
I can’t even imagine the egos, bro. You can see hints of ‘em during the champion bouts on TV. Between being pals with a legendary Pokemon and being some of the best trainers in the region, tempers most flare a lot.” He laughs, leaning back on the couch. He searches for Entei again, looking out the window.[break][break]
You should tell ‘em you’ve got three, by my count, and it still hasn’t gotten to your head.” Navy prays that, should the day come when he gets chained to some legendary beast, he doesn’t lose part of himself along the way. It’s gotten to Kyle more than the detective wants to admit, but at least it’s made him a better person, right?

[break][break]