played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 2:27:37 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music in my mind

Giving Rair a high toss into the air, Kara giggles softly as the little Ralts waved her tiny arms. A sharp whistle from the girl and POOF! The flailing Pokémon was gone. It took less than a second to reappear back in her trainer's outstretched hands, and the two shared a laugh. Hugging her friend tightly to her chest, the girl nuzzled her cheek against the top of the psychic's head.

"It's getting late," she mumbled, knowing they would need to find a place to settle soon. They had just entered the northern side of Route 111 and they weren't going to finish that journey tonight. "How about another half and hour?" She looked at the Pokémon expectantly and received a gentle croon in response.

They were in agreement.

"And in the mean time," Kara said as she adjusted Rair in her arms, "Why don't you practice teleporting some more?"

Saying it's gonna be alright

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 8:22:09 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
With so much attention on getting Raikiri ready for an escalation in the never-ending war, Mauville's Gym Leader hadn't given the attention he wanted to the Pokémon he loved. Such was part of having so many to care for. One of those Pokémon that hadn't seen much action since then was Blinky, Josh's Jolteon. Measuring a stout five feet from the bottom of her paw to the top of her back, the electric Eeveelution was massive. Flanking her were a pair of Ninetales, Mystic and Rime. The fire fox and ice fox were also extremely large for their size, standing as tall as a typical Rapidash would. The saddles all three Pokémon wore practically beckoned wannabe Pokémon racers to jump on. Behind them were a trio of Pyroar, also in similar gear. Simba and Kovu flanked Nala, a female and the newest member of Josh's pride.

"Hyah!" Josh cried, squeezing Blinky's sides. The Jolteon took off like a lightning bolt, the force of her explosive acceleration forcing her rider to lean low to avoid being blown off. "Whoooooooo-hoooooooo!!!" the Master of Faster cried as his electric mount zoomed ahead of his other already fast Pokémon. His keen eyesight caught a young lady and her Raits near the intersection of 111 and Trainer Hill. Not wanting to frighten her, the Jolteon drastically slowed her pace to one that was far more reasonable for a normal person. Nala stopped completely to sniff Kara. "Come on, Nala," the Gym Leader shouted back. "You're a Pyroar now, and I'd appreciate it if you acted like one."

{WC: 267}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Rime          A!Ninetales    Good
Mystic        K!Ninetales    Good
Simba         Pyroar         Good
Kovu          Pyroar         Good
Nala          Pyroar         Good

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 8:32:19 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

At first it wasn't Pokémon that Kara spotted, but a weird flurries of dust in the distance that seemed to be getting closer. If this was something normal, she had no recollection of what it might be, so she gave a sharp whistle. At once, Rair teleported into her arms and she ran off of the road. If it was a Pokémon, she was ready to duck down and hide. Better than having to fight it. If it was something else...

Pokémon won the draw, and the girl squeaked, getting ready to run behind some trees nearby. Before she got the chance though, she heard a soft, amused warble from Rair and felt her nerves settling down. Looking at the little psychic, she tried to figure out what happened only to see the little girl point one of her arms at the swiftly approaching beasts.

"Oh," she said in a bit of a shock as she spotted a man riding one and... saddles on the rest?

She had seen some bizarre things, but this definitely was high on the list.

When most slowed, one of the big feline Pokéemon ran up to her, its nose crinkling as it sniffed the pair and brought a small laugh from Kara.

"Well hi there, pretty kitty. Your name's... Nala? That's such a lovely name."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 7:37:55 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's face flashed a look of concern, but that was short-lived. It seemed the young lady Nala stopped to sniff was quite the brave one, not at all rattled by the presence of a small pride of apex predators. "Thanks," the Gym Leader quipped once all his Pokémon had come to a stop. Both Ninetales' tails fanned in the breeze. "She's the newest member of my pride. You're really a natural with Pokémon; I've run into so many people that get spooked around the pride." It came as little surprise; even tamed, Pokémon that were apex predators in the wild were no joke. Though Jolteon were not normally predatory, one of the awesome size Blinky was might as well be. The Pokémon's backs normally only reached waist-high, but this one was big enough for a human to ride on!

With that out of the way and Nala backing off slowly, Josh felt it was the best time to break the ice. "Elite Ranger Devlin or Gym Leader Devlin, but you can call me Josh. What brings you out here, if I may ask?"

{WC: 187}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 7:43:43 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

"I don't know about that," the girl said a bit sheepishly when the man called her a natural. "Your friend here is just so pretty. And I can't imagine being scared of any of them." She had heard stories of people using Pokémon to hurt others, but she hadn't actually seen it. Part of her still wondered if it was true. She didn't think the man who told her was the type to lie, but she couldn't see any point in doing something like that.

"My name's Kara. It's nice to meet you, ah... Josh?" Leaning down, she set the little ralts in her arms down so it could toddle back behind her legs. "Nothing really, just... walking." She didn't really have a good reason to be on her travels other than not knowing where else to go but everywhere. "How about you?"

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,978 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2023 6:52:17 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtemp"]
[attr="class","wildbgsaf"]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD EMBOAR APPEARED!
[attr="class","wildshiny"]

[attr="class","wildpkmnbox"]
[attr="class","wildpkmn"]

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] MALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] BLAZE
[attr="class","wildtabox"]HEAD SMASH
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]ROLLOUT
[attr="class","wildtabox"]HAMMER ARM
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]TAIL WHIP
[attr="class","wildtabox"] ---
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] ---

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[attr="class","wildnote"] WHAT WILL YOU DO?

[break]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD ARCHEOPS APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] FEMALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] DEFEATIST
[attr="class","wildtabox"]ROCK THROW
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]WING ATTACK
[attr="class","wildtabox"]PLUCK
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]QUICK GUARD

[attr="class","wildtag"]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 18:23:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Kara's naivete reminded Josh of his own. "I'm impressed you can stay calm around Nala," he replied. "Pyroar can be really aggressive in the wild. There's a reason I always recommend that trainers raise them from Litleo. That's to say nothing about all the other... well, apex predators I raise." That was the best phrase to describe the vast majority of Pokémon Josh had at his Gym: Pokémon that would be utterly terrifying to meet in the wild. There was no outrunning them, and almost all were capable of inflicting severe, perhaps even lethal punishment by ramming, trampling, and tearing into a human.

"I'm mostly taking Nala and my other Pyroar on a run," Josh asked. "From here to Lavaridge and back. It's one of my favorite roads in Hoenn. It's long, straight, and unlike roads like 110, doesn't have a speed limit." A smile washed over the young man's face. "I think Nala really likes you," he observed aloud, the female Pyroar nuzzling Kara if she allowed it. "Hoenn is so vast that it's really important to have a Pokémon that can can carry you across the region. If you're headed in the direction of Lavaridge Town, you're welcome to hop on Nala or any of my other Pokémon! They're all used to it from what they do at my Gym."

Skips

{WC: 226}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 18:54:42 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

The teen was more than happy to let the feline Pokémon nuzzle her, returning the affection with head scritches and hugs.

"Which way is Lavaridge?" she asked, as she peered down the road. She was pretty sure from what she remembered of 's map that her next stop was Mauville, and the man had come riding from that direction. Which since he said Gym Leader that meant...

"Oh wait, you're J--" Her words were cut off by a shriek as a creature of feathers and scales burst from the canopy nearby, making a beeline straight for Kara and Nala. On instinct more than anything, the girl spun about to shield the Pyroar and drew a Poké ball at the same time. Tossing it into the air, she shouted, "Blue! Hit it!" just as a little Froakie materialized from inside. At once it gathered a spinning ball of water between its hands and let it fly, impacting against the creature and sending it crashing to the ground. Jumping forward, the girl caught the water Pokémon and glared at the bird-thing.

"Be nice," she scolded it. "You shouldn't try to hurt others. Okay?" She felt a bit bad, since she had just had Blue hurt it, but that was to protect Nala. Turning back towards Josh's Pokémon, she smiled brightly. "Are you okay?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 23:44:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As Kara hugged Nala, she may have been able to feel a strong purr shake her, the power of the Pyroar's lungs evident. While they were known for their fire attacks, the species had some of the most powerful voices in the world. Josh had honed that to perfect with his four lions, each of them capable of loosing a devastating Z-Move with them. It was a roar so loud that their entire bodies would vibrate like a Sandaconda's tail when the move was being used. Josh vividly remembered how intense it was from his short but brief battle with last fall. "I'll be fine," Josh answered, thankful the hulking Emboar nearby was either unawares or did not care about the pride's presence.

Once Nala was content, she crouched, beckoning Kara to sit in her saddle. "Wow, she warmed up to you fast! I think she wants you to ride her." Another one of Josh's Pyroar, Simba, strode toward Blinky and Josh. wagging his tail like an enormous dog. "Simba, I'm comfortable up here." The big lion flashed his teeth for a brief moment before simply holding his head down. "Okay, but only for the trip there. Blinky, I'll get to you on the way back. I promise."

With that, Josh slid off his Jolteon's back, swapping ride Pokémon for the large male Pyroar next to him. It showed Kara just how much of Blinky's back the saddle covered, an indicator of the Jolteon being just barely large enough to carry him. Just barely was what mattered, though! "Battle is part of raising any Pokémon. I guess it's just something I've become used to, having been a Gym Leader for what, nine months now?"

{WC: 287}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 23:53:07 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

Satisfied that Nala was alright, Kara moved back to check on the Archeops. She wasn't happy she had hurt the poor thing, but the more she looked at it, the more she thought Blue could have done a lot worse. Her scolding and the plethora of Pokémon around seemed to be doing a lot more work keeping it cowed.

Pulling out a Pokéball, the girl tapped it against the bird's head. She normally tried to get permission first, but with Josh and his group around, it felt a bit silly so she figured she would capture it and spend time with the bird later. With a smile once it was safely in the ball, she stood up and moved back to the rest.

"Sorry for the interruption," the girl said with a smile as she hopped on the saddle Nala was sporting. Even if they were going the wrong way, the 'there and back' idea meant she would still probably make it to Mauville. "So you're Josh Devlin? Navy told me about you. I was actually heading to your gym."

Trying to catch the Archeops!

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,978 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2023 1:00:16 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD SCORBUNNY APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] FEMALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] BLAZE
[attr="class","wildtabox"]EMBER
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]DOUBLE EDGE
[attr="class","wildtabox"]COUNTER
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]QUICK ATTACK

[attr="class","wildtag"]

[break]

[attr="class","wildtitle"]A WILD DARUMAKA APPEARED!

[attr="class","wildtab"]
[attr="class","wildtabox"] MALE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"] INNER FOCUS
[attr="class","wildtabox"]HEADBUTT
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]THRASH
[attr="class","wildtabox"]TACKLE
[attr="class","wildtabox2"]BITE

[attr="class","wildtag"]

CAUGHT THE ARCHEOPS!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2023 2:21:27 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Riding equine Pokémon like Rapidash was commonplace not just in Hoenn, but throughout the world. There was just something empowering about sitting aboard an apex predator like a Pyroar. Something that made the skin tingle if one was not used to it. "That's me! Wait, you know ? We've been friends for a long time. Been through hell and back with one another. He can be apathetic at times, but there's nothing but good in him. I've already got time booked off to go to his Gym when it opens later."

He had to do a double-take when Kara said she was on the way to Mauville City Gym. "You might get a peek at some of the Pokémon there, then. Who knows, you might end up having to face Nala!" The Pyroar let out a series of purrs that could only be interpreted as laughter, Kara likely able to feel them lightly shaking her. "What a coincidence! I'm the Gym Leader there. Might get a sneak peek at what you're up against. You never know, you might end up facing off against Nala!"

With that, the pride of Pyroar began to trot northward. "How much experience do you have riding a Pokémon? Pyroar are quite a bit different from, say, a Rapidash or Arcanine, when they run."

Skipping!

{WC: 221}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Kara

No Preference
Pan
Wanderer
Civilian
15 height
15 height
awards
68 posts
Kara Li DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kara
Kara Li
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2023 20:44:26 GMT
Kara Li Avatar
Kara Li Avatar
I keep cruising

The saddle felt comfortable and the teen had no trouble getting on. Once mounted, she gave some gentle scratches to the Pyroar's neck as she smiled at it kindly. Despite feeling confident astride the Pokémon, she couldn't actually remember riding before. Not that that was too surprising.

With a shrug, she offered, "I'm going to say no experience." Last thing she wanted was for Nala to take off and suddenly she couldn't ride and fell off after saying she knew what she was doing. Better to find out she did know what she was doing after saying she didn't. "And yeah, I met Navy in Petalburg woods. He's really nice. Suggested I go meet you if I wanted to try the gym challenge."

(Gonna give it a post or two before running into the Scorbunny, which I definitely want. Just feels weird to run into it so soon after the other.)
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Hot Stuff
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2023 7:18:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Funny you speak of Petalburg Woods," Josh laughed, feeling another strong purr from Simba. It seemed the big lion wanted to run. "I've got a good friend who lives off-grid. She's a bit eccentric, but one of Hoenn's greatest explorers. There's nowhere in the region she won't take you. I'd love to go on an expedition with her, but my Gym keeps me from doing so." His upcoming challenge with the Gym Leader-elect flashed in front of his mind. "You know Navy got elected Dewford's Gym Leader, right?"

No experience at all? Lovely. Pyroar were not an easy species to learn with. Despite that, Josh would help her learn. "Alright, then it's probably best if I give you a little crash course. If you want to challenge my Gym later, you'll want to remember this stuff. It's also just really useful. With how much nasty terrain there is in Hoenn, learning how to ride a Pokémon should be something taught in schools, if I had it my way." The bias was pretty obvious, but the sentiment was there.

"Alright, grab Nala's reins with both your hands, and try to spread your hands evenly on them, too. This will be how you control her direction. See how they're attached to those little halters at the sides of her head?" The teacher would give his student time to look for them. "Think of them like the handlebars of a bike, but with cords attached to them. If you pull with your left arm, it'll turn her head left, and she'll turn that way. With your right arm, right. And that's all there is to direction."

There was still another very important aspect to touch on, perhaps more important than steering. "Varying your leg pressure is how you control her speed. If you squeeze your legs into her more tightly, she'll speed up. If you loosen the pressure, she'll slow down. You don't have to be constantly putting pressure on her to maintain high speed; any good mount will be able to adapt to a rider's baseline pressure and know when to speed up and slow down. Of course, if you're uncomfortable with any of this, she'll listen to verbal commands, too." Josh would give Kara a chance to fiddle with Nala's reins first before they were to take off to the north.

"And one more warning I want to give you. Compared to equine Pokémon like Rapidash, Pyroar's backs flex a lot, so it might be a bit bouncy. Nala's saddle, and those of all my big cat Pokémon, are designed to try to absorb as much power from the flexing as possible, but it will definitely be a bit of a rougher ride than a horse. They're also a lot faster. Plus, there's something just awesome about riding a Pokémon that's an apex predator, one on top of the food chain, right?"

{WC: 485}
{PC: 6}