6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Status Report: The Wilds [M][C/Illeana]
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2023 8:01:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It had been seven months since Gym Leader had agreed to explore the rifts on behalf of Head Scientist . In the wake of that and the Battle of Dewford, did he ever have a lot to report, and some of the information was quite sensitive. It would be too sensitive to send to the scientist via League email with the level of clearance he had on his account. Gym Leaders were the highest level of League employees who didn't routinely handle sensitive information, such as government secrets. Some of the information he was bringing to the scientist's plate could easily be weaponized against the League if not properly handled. With the Master of Faster lacking the level of authorization needed, his best way to communicate would be verbally and privately.

Flying to Illeana's lab in Lilycove City, Josh was for the first time astride Ao, his Roaring Moon, the feathered Salamence look-alike allowing a human on his back after almost three painstaking months of getting to know the Paradox Pokémon. Even so, his vicious demeanor remained. Every command was faster than with Yosei, every turn and thrust stronger, and every ride rougher. The power of his mount made even his skin tingle... and he had ridden many incredibly strong Pokémon. It was almost like riding a legendary Pokémon.

The Gym Leader touched down in front of the researcher's front gate and buzzed for her presence, Yosei the Salamence landing next to his look-alike.

{WC: 248}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS 
Ao              Roaring Moon      Good
Yosei           Salamence         Good
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2023 16:55:46 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]the buzzing of the lab's gate garners enough attention for the intercom to whirr into newfound static life.

a moment later, the voice of illeana reyes carries over the gate's speaker.

"nice to see you again, josh. come on in!"

she'd greet him herself, surely, but she's mid analysis and abandoning the project now would spell disaster.

besides, he's been here before. she knows he's capable of weaving through corridors to find her lab.

her head does rise to flash him a quick smile when the sound of the door echoes against pristine walls.

"hey, i'll just be a minute!"

her attention doesn't linger on him long. it flickers back down on the vials in her hands as she finishes up sample collection. and once the final vial is full, she shifts gears to place them one by one into the analysis machine. a few beeps later and it comes alive, signaling the end of her task.

she joins him within a few minutes, shedding her gloves and settling into her desk chair to give him her full attention.

"have you been well?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2023 1:09:04 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Busy, busy, busy, it seemed. This was not the first time Josh had been to the Head Scientist's lab before, having asked about the large Pokémon on his team. He anticipated they had come from Space-Time Distortions, but instead learned they were simply genetic outliers. Perhaps they had been brought to Hoenn by the distortions, but they seemed to be in no way linked to Alpha Pokémon. Chalk it up to good fortune. One question still burned in his mind, and it would be certainly one requiring original research: why were extremely large Pokémon showing up in Hoenn in great numbers?

Josh slid off Ao's back, giving the feathered Paradox Pokémon a gentle rub on the head before withdrawing both his dragons. Latching their Poké Balls back onto his belt, he returned to Illeana's lab, the directons becoming more and more familiar as he followed them. At least she seemed cheerful and in a good mood.

"If I said I was doing great, I'd be lying," Josh admitted. "The last four months have been... rough. Remember that email that went out about me around the beginning of April? That thing just... completely upended my life. All for the sake of... chasing a Pokémon probably six years dead. By now, it's no secret that I love Raikou. I would want nothing more than to fight for the League alongside him. I thought this would give me time to find a lead on Raikou, but... even that trail's turned cold. I lost control that day. And now I realize... even if I found out who within Rocket was responsible, that's not bringing him back."

The Gym Leader shook his head, Ao's Poké Ball wobbling in his hand. "But that's enough rambling about the past. You wanted a report on my trips through the Ultra Wilds, correct? Well, I've been to the rifts at Pyre, the desert, and Granite Cave. And do I ever have stories for you."

{WC: 330}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2023 3:52:26 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]silence persists on her half of the conversation. allowing his thoughts room to grow, to breathe, to exist, is simple. she will not interrupt him. not yet.

and when they rumble into a mild halt, her own voice joins into the symphony. her tone is soft. it exists as a faint commiseration.

"listen, i -- making mistakes is a human thing, okay?"

edges of her lips drag slowly upward until they're a show of support.

"there's no point in beating yourself up over it, josh. you must learn from the experience, tuck it away, and begin to move forward. existing in the past and going over your faults will not do anyone any good."

the tone speaks of experience, of being in the same boat before...

but they are not the same.

he endangered the life of a criminal.

she almost cost the region everything.

a hand gestures for him to sit. and with it, signaling the previous conversation's subtle end.

another time, another place, maybe but not now.

"tell me, what have you found so far?"

it's too broad. she must hone in on one place to begin.

"start with mt pyre, if possible."

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2023 5:46:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh didn't want to dwell on the past, either. It was hard brushing it aside, and for reasons Illeana may have known; parts of his restitution would affect him for two years. The title of Champion had been important to him since becoming a Gym Leader. If he couldn't befriend the Beast of his dreams, he wanted to prove to the League he could execute during operations of utmost stakes. "Oh, I know. It was a hard lesson to learn. And I haven't stopped longing for Raikou. Of course, it's hard to say... but I think he's still out there. Somewhere. But I'm not going to let him control me anymore. I want to work on what I can control. And that's continuing making myself useful to the League above and beyond what my duties as a Gym Leader call for." His work ethic was admirable, perhaps frightening, even. A flamboyant freedom fighter not afraid to make deep sacrifices to advance the League's agenda. If weaponized properly, he could be a major threat to even those who wielded the might of the gods.

"Of course!" Josh chirped, flipping through his notes on his journeys, as well as printouts of the atmospheric, dimensional, and other environmental data she requested he collect. "I'll email you a copy of all these materials, as well. But where do I start... it was with , , and . The Border is a place where restless souls, both people and Pokémon, gather. While hunting down an Annihilape that threatened Lilycove City's westernmost residents, I lost my Doublade in the battle that ensued at the end. She gave up her life to make sure no more of Lilycove's people died. Well, I ran into her spirit there. It seems that when you go there, you attract the spirits of those important to you. Without a Sygna Suit, being consumed by their hatred is a real threat, forcing us to retreat."

The second journey there was much more harrowing for him to recount. It was truly frightening, the evil spirits having turned one of his friends against all of them. "Then when we made a base of operations within the Border, some of those restless spirits made a vessel out of , and we had to bare out Pokémon against her. It was almost like she was under mind control, not listening to anything but brute force. For a moment, I thought we were going to have to kill her. Not just that, though. The Border seems to manifest the worst nightmares of those who set foot inside. It forced our retreat for quite a while before we could return. That third trip was when I discovered how important it is to wear a Sygna Suit in those rifts. Even with a suit, that third trip was the most terrifying of all..."

{WC: 476}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2023 17:18:03 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]as he dives into the thick of it all, she falls silent. occasionally, as she's jotting down notes of his encounters, she lets out a hum of understanding.

"for the nightmares..."

she pauses, pen stilling.

"was there any evidence of the interdream zone leaking into the border?"

it could explain the manifestation of such a thing, but there's no way to know for certain - and even if it did leak into the border, there is little to no explanation as of right now.

"what happened on the third voyage in?"

her eyes are curious, almost hungry for more information.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2023 7:35:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Not that I could tell," Josh answered. "The only evidence I saw of the Interdream Zone leaking into Ultra Space was at Ultra Sea during the Battle of Dewford." He had yet to visit many of the rifts at all, so it was possible that there was leakage elsewhere. "At least I didn't recognize it as the Interdream Zone at the time."

He continued recounting his tale, visibly chilled by the details he steeled himself to tell. As crazy as his first story was, this one was about to blow it out of the water.

"I saw the Pokémon from the Ancient Tomb. The snow cat." He gave an accurate description of the Chien-Pao he had met in the Border. "It came from this leaking seal. The yellow mist coming from the south of the rift's entrance was impossible to travel through without a Sygna Suit, and even then, it was so oppressive. So hateful. That day at the Ancient Tomb, before we got taken to Galar, I felt that kind of hatred again. I wonder if that was part of what drove me to do what I did to poor Eris." The Gym Leader sighed. He thought he had left that behind. There truly was no getting away from the Eris fallout, was there?

"But I didn't come to talk about Eris," Josh continued, shaking his head. "It was that snow cat, and there was a Marshadow riding it and mimicking me. Of course, I didn't recognize that it was a Marshadow until later. It even called the Pokémon a name I can't remember. Maybe that was its name? Anyway, everything about it was snow. The cat wore a saddle made of snow, the Marshadow held reins of snow, and it even wielded a spear of snow. Holy shit did that hurt to get hit by." Illeana may have been aware of how little Josh cursed. When he did, it means that the extraordinary emphasis the act brought was warranted.

"Whatever that snow cat is, it has amazing speed and power," the Gym Leader continued, clearly enamored by the legendary Pokémon's physical characteristics. "It's... dare I say, fast as Raikou himself. I barely got away from it with my life, but I did manage to befriend the Marshadow in the process. That Marshadow is with now." Having told his story from The Border, Josh smirked. "I'm going back there, though. That snow cat... is mine."

{WC: 410}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2023 0:31:54 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she nods, resuming the writing of notes.

"any signs of dimensional instability either? these would look like spatial gaps, odd energy filling in fissures, or places where space-time seems like it's unraveling."

after all, the end goal of it all is simple: the closure of these rifts. they are blights on this region and until they are sealed shut, she will not rest.

her pen, however, stills at the mention of chien-pao. her eyes dart up quickly, caught off guard by the concept. after a moment, they harden into pliable steel.

"i would caution against returning solely for this snow cat you speak of."

a voice of reason, perhaps. given her own misdoings beneath her belt with the thought of a grandiose presence, however, it sounds more like seasoned experience than logical deduction.

"we don't know much about those creatures, let alone what they are capable of. it is better to hold off and gather intel before making a move on it."

besides...

"there are bigger tasks at hand, mr. devlin. hoenn needs us to remain focused if we're to fix what has been broken."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 26, 2023 5:34:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I wasn't making direct observations," Josh admitted, "but all of the data you need should be within the devices you asked me to bring into the rifts. They're on the table I put your equipment on when I came in. Of course I'll need it back to keep collecting data when I go back. Still have a lot of work to do." Provided she wanted to, all of the memory sticks within were hers to examine and copy into her lab's systems for analysis.

The rifts needed to be closed, yes, but Josh was opportunistic; if he could find a way to take advantage of them, he would. There were plenty of rifts he hadn't spent enough time in; during the League's mining operations in the Ultra Sea, he wanted to catch one of those giant, needled dragons for himself. Strapping a saddle to one would make him much more adept at exploring the other rifts.

Josh raised his eyebrows at the scientist's accusation. "Of course I wouldn't be going back there only for it," he answered. "There's still plenty to do. Plus, do you remember 's attacks on Mauville Gym? The spirits of many of the people that died in that attack are at unrest there, and they won't be able to pass on without my help. Don't get me wrong; I still want to make it my own. I might be one of the few people in Hoenn with enough experience with high speeds to actually follow its motions. But for now, I shall heed your warning and simply observe it." Little did he know of its true power, how malicious it was, and how malicious its benefactor would be...

{WC: 282}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2023 17:42:58 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]her eyes stray toward the mentioned equipment, mentally checking off a small list of each item until it's stored for later use. when she's sure they're of use, her pen shifts back to attention and her gaze follows.

"thank you - i can send a report on the data analysis later this week."

for now, though, that is not the entirety of this conversation.

she changes gears with the slight narrowing of her eyes.

"be careful... even idle observation can spell disaster if one does not heed caution."

for this is a foreign beast and she does not know the repercussions of such an existence. eventually, they'll all know - her most of all as her childhood friend will make sure of it.

"how do you plan to put the spirits of the border to rest?"

her stare levels itself back out into neutral curiosity, as if it's nothing new and everything unknown all at once. she still remembers pulling across the veil, still feels his fingers clinging to newfound life against her own.

and while worry begins to brew in the depths of her chest like butterflies in a thoracic cavity, she holds it back with tentative fingers until his plan is presented.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2023 18:42:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had been to the rifts many times. The Ultra Plant in particular was second nature to him. If anything, he enjoyed going there due to the added speed the realm's lightning storms bestowed upon his already swift Pokémon. "Of course."

The conversation drifted toward the spirits of The Border. "Pulling their spirits back into their bodies will not be possible, as their bodies were immolated that day. I just want their souls to be able to go on to the afterlife in peace. And doing that should be simple in theory." It would be as simple as avenging the source of the spirits' grief.

" needs to be chastised for his crimes. Bringing him to justice, or otherwise avenging them, should release them from the burdens holding them there."

{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,120 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2023 1:12:20 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she understands, in a way, but the path to the afterlife does not feel as easy as he seeks.

her expression settles into professional neutrality - practiced, crafted and molded after those in power around her but not herself, never her.

"if that is why they are stuck... but there is no way to know for certain."

as she goes, she waves a hand idly in the air as if flipping through pages of examples in an invisible book.

"many things outside of the means of death like unrequited love, betrayal, vengeance, etc can be causes for the soul to remain stuck."

eventually, her hand drops back into her lap. there, it stays.

"i implore you to be careful if you continue with this plan and limit your expectations of saving them all."

the pen in her other hand returns to the top of the notepad and she leans forward, almost as if she's waiting for something.

"but enough of that - do you have any additional updates at the moment?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 8, 2023 16:34:55 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
There was, of course, no way to know for certain. The only certainty was that they were not coming back to life as they were. Without a body to return to, the afterlife was their only destination. A destination only reachable at the whims of the gods. "It is the most likely reason they are stuck. I worked with them since I opened my Gym in the Minor Leagues. I will of course keep an open mind."

Illeana's words were among the toughest for heroes to learn: that saving everyone was impossible. Ideally, he would want to save everyone. But if it was only possible to save one, it would be the spirit of SHAWN RICHARDS. If for some reason he had to pass his Gym on to another person, it would be him. Of course, that was moot now.

"Not as of yet. I will be in touch with you as I continue to explore the realms beyond Hoenn. If we ever see each other on an unrelated assignment, I'll be sure to get you up to speed there."

If the scientist had no other remarks, Josh would wave goodbye, climb onto Yosei's back after leaving the lab, and soar into the clouds toward the mainland.

{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,978 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 8:38:38 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(REPEAT)